• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else over 2D Mario Bros?

teezzy

Banned
Dude, I'm over Nintendo in general at this point

Them and I had a good run; there's just too much other developers out there who interest me more.

GAMETA

Banned
I felt the same thing playing New Super Mario Bros U, but I think the game's at fault, not the 2D Mario genre.

I say that because I recently bought an used DSi (I never had one before) and had a blast playing the original New S. Mario. It's a great game... NSM U isn't bad, but it's really not great, it's very uninspired.

Last edited:
I'm open to the notion of more Super Mario Bros. games with 2D mechanics, but my main concern is the target audience. After the initial entry on the DS, the New Super Mario Bros. franchise tried to split the difference between being single-player experiences and multiplayer-family games, resulting in bloated titles with uneven difficulty. I'm not interested in the series taking the form of another masochistic platformer, but I would like to see a new 2D title, where the focus shifted to offering an overall more challenging experience.

Last edited:
2D Mario needs a formula change to stay fresh. If they threw in a double jump and dash it could really breathe new life into the series. I’m thinking Celeste, Hollow Knight, Ori, Super Meat Boy. It doesn’t need to be as difficult, I am talking about core movement options that aren’t just shallow, temporary power ups like in every other Mario game.

TLZ

Banned
I think the proper progression of 2D Mario games is Super Mario 3D World. I think every new 2D Mario game should be made in that mold. Galaxy and Odyssey are different types to 3D World.

Kreen101

I just spent the last few weeks devoting my gaming time to playing quality fan-made Superworlds in Mario Maker 2. I've been playing the various iteration of 2-D Mario games for 35 years now, and you would think I'd be tired, but I'm not. The Mario "universe", the tight controls, the familiar and not-so-familiar ennemies and sprites, the endless combinations of gameplay ideas, to me it's still as fun as ever.

I would love a new 2-D Mario game, but NOT in the NSMB style, because it's been used in too many games since the first one on DS. I'm just tired of it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
New Super Mario Bros U is not that great. Speaking for the people who got the last Donkey Kong games, it's way WAAAYY better than the last 2D Marios

Does 2D Mario is dead because of it? Hell no. But the team needs to put more or just play it simple - release as an small download thing

iconmaster

Banned
I think the proper progression of 2D Mario games is Super Mario 3D World.

tenor.gif

Even if I didn’t dislike that game for other reasons, it’s still a 3D Mario. The simplicity of left, right and jump is what’s so enjoyable about the 2D games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
NSMB was super cool and fresh when it came out on DS, but it was not a classic and I was sick of that style of Mario before I even finished the DS game, much less any of the successors.

Super Mario World was the peak of side scrolling Mario. The NSMB series just feels kind of cheap to me in a way that the 3D Mario games do not. I'd be interested in checking out a proper HD 2D Mario, though.

Ten_Fold

No, I’m over the NEW super Mario bros series though. They just need a new spin on the 2D Mario games. I think we won’t see one for a while.

Susurrus

Nah but we haven't gotten a new one in many years. And no, the new release of NSMBU doesn't count because I already played it and NSLU in the original release to 100% and I'm not doing it again just because it is on Switch. Ditto with 3D World.

TLZ

Banned
tenor.gif

Even if I didn’t dislike that game for other reasons, it’s still a 3D Mario. The simplicity of left, right and jump is what’s so enjoyable about the 2D games.
I do know what you're saying , but after a point it gets stale and needs to progress. That is why I say 3D World's Isometric 2D-3D hybrid feels to me like a natural progression to 2D, vs full 3D.

I do know what you're saying , but after a point it gets stale and needs to progress. That is why I say 3D World's Isometric 2D-3D hybrid feels to me like a natural progression to 2D, vs full 3D.

I actually agree with this.

I think of the 3D titles (Land and World) to be 2.5D, pulling much closer to 2D than 3D. It's easy to see: The emphasis on platforming over exploration (including "floating" platforms that hark back to Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3); the relatively linear level structure; and of course, the timer, among other things. [EDIT: A couple of the "among other things": (4) A flagpole at the end of every level; (5) holding a button to dash/run, compared to using the analog stick to determine speed in "true" 3D Mario games)

In some ways, I think of Super Mario 3D World is a kind of sequel to Super Mario Bros. 2/USA (even down to 4
actually, 5 when you unlock Rosalina
selectable characters).

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

bender

What time is it?
The visuals in the New Super Mario Brothers games are atrocious. The just look incredibly cheap and it makes me hate spending time playing them.

Unpopular opinion, but the 2D games never appealed to me growing up. Ever. This could be due to Nintendo failing pretty hard back in the NES days here in the UK. So i never really got my hands on it when it was relevent and got to try them when there was much better platformers available on NES.

3D Mario >>>>>> 2D Mario

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I disagree with a lot of posters in this thread. To me, 3D Mario has little left to excite me. I played all of the latest Mario games and have found only the 2D games still do it for me.

Top Bottom