• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

TheFuzz

Simple topic, really. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and grabbed a Switch preorder as soon as they went up. After the hype cooled and online infrastructure questions came up, I started getting a little concerned and debated cancelling the pre-order.

As time went on, I warmed back up to it. Warmed to the point where I can't wait for March 3rd now. Zelda being a factor, I'm sure.... but almost every hands-on impression from people have been like "wait until you use this, it's impressive" and it's almost like Nintendo did some impressive things with the hardware. The screen and controller quality is just more of the greatness I had hoped for.

Anyone else been on a rollercoaster since last Fall, too?

kubev

Not really. I'm unhappy with the accessory pricing, but I know that it's still the only way that I'll be playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, so I'll deal with it.

Im just unsure if I want the neon one or the grey one. The neon onem would mean getting the extra joycon's to match those colours later.

I'm really just waiting to see what the VC situation is. I'm feeling a bit better about the launch lineup but if it launches with minimal or no VC it might get cancelled. Whereas if it launches with a ton of N64 and GC support it is kept for sure.

I'm the same, I pre-ordered instinctively and then regretted it for a week or so and considered cancelling but the more I've heard and read the more excited I'm getting

Neoxon

I'm second-guessing myself on switching to the Neon Switch, but a bunch of my friends thought that I made the right call in going with the Gray Switch.

Kyoufu

I'm kinda tempted to cancel since there's just way too many games on other platforms that I want to play around the launch date.

Kinda similar OP. My hype levels have been fluctuating after pre-ordering, but right now I'm pretty excited for the most part. The fact that BOTW looks like one of the best in the series definitely plays a big part in that though.

Yes and no. I have no doubts about my pre-order as I've had the money saved up in trade credit for months now. I love Nintendo's first party software so I was always going to get the Switch on day one.

That being said, I went from full hype mode (wanting almost every day one game) to realizing most of my time/money is best spent elsewhere. I'll be getting the Switch, a Pro Controller, and the Zelda Master Edition on day one but nothing else. The money I would have spent on throwaway stuff like 1 2 Switch and Bomberman will go towards games like Mass Effect, Prey, and my purchase of Project Scorpio.

Peltz

I was down on the Switch after the very poor presentation... and a day later I really regretted not putting in my preorder.

I am looking forward to the device despite the anemic launch lineup.

Pretty awful for me - not much interest in anything until maybe mario kart. But EB in Canada had really good trade in deals effectively lowering the price by half for me. Not bad!

I had a complete reversal from cynicism to delight. Binding of Isaac confirmed for launch is a HUGE deal for me, that's a game that I'm going to play for a long long looooooooooong time. The fact that it has Afterbirth on the go (which is what I've wanted for my Vita copy for eons) and it's PHYSICAL (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) means that I am an EXTREMELY happy camper for my Switch pre-order.

Also helps that I played it already :3

Just went through a weird journey of discovery about the color. I have the gray but I'm so excited to also pick up the neon Joy-Con.

I was left nonplussed by the initial reveal and the tidal wave of negative sentiment further cooled my interest, but I never questioned my pre-order. Weeks later I'm mostly excited. Not all of my concerns are gone but I mostly feel that Nintendo is moving in the right direction with Switch. I want it to succeed and I'm especially looking forward to its oddball titles like Snipperclips.

I wish I'd been able to secure a neon set. I kind of like the asymmetry.

jonno394

Yup, my hype died after I was disappointed with the 13th show, and even though I pre-ordered at 7am UK time, by about 9am I was contemplating cancelling it. I was quite pissed off with Nintendo (pathetic I know!).

Roll on the next day and I was getting more and more hyped as I saw videos, read impressions and more games got announced. I'm now unfortunately counting down the days until March 3rd as I'm at the highest hype!

edit - If I remember correctly it was footage of Zelda running in handheld mode that got me excited fully again on the 14th, made me realise that I needed it.

I'm actually glad I jumped on it. I was iffy on the Switch and everything about it, even the Neon colour scheme. I got that one since it was the only one left available to preorder on Amazon, and the more I see it, the more I like it and want it. Currently going through a gaming slump because all I wanna play is BoTW.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm in for portable zelda. Don't care too much about the other stuff until mario comes by.
I do hope the virtual console games carry over as it'll give me some more games to play on it.

yeah. i feel a lot less likely to cancel it now. i keep playing my 3ds and ignoring my pc and console games.on the occasions I turn on a console at home, I play wiiu off-screen. this product really will get mileage out of me.

Rodin

I preordered it despite the higher price i originally intended to spend on it because i wanted to be sure to get one if i got more hyped when we got closer to launch.

Now i just want it and the anticipation is destroying me.

I'll feel differently about it after I've burned through Zelda and have 8 months to wait until Mario.

There's a good amount of great games releasing before that.

deoee

Yeah I'm more and more happy I did not place a pre-order.

So many things are really unappealing and stupid and I don't want to support many of Nintendos ideas

Zemm

Cancelled mine. Too many games coming out at the same time, Zelda being on Wii U, overpriced accessories (and the console to some extent), nothing else to pick up for months, and so on.

TheFuzz

Forgot to mention Snipperclips.... since the console effectively comes with 2 controllers, the wife and I may end up spending a ton of time with this. Another game that impressions have sold me on.

I can't wait for it, but I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to play on it lol.

Hopefully Street Fighter 2 is a launch title (yeah it sucks that I'm dying to play a 20 year old game on a brand new console).

I have Zelda pre-ordered but I hate all the Aonuma Zeldas so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

mrmickfran

Yeah, at the moment, the only Switch game for me after Breath of the Wild is Splatoon.
MK8 is absurdly priced and I haven't made a definitive decision on Arms.

It'll just be sitting there collecting dust.

I'll get it when Odyssey drops and give my Wii U one last hurrah with Zelda.

I'm kinda tempted to cancel since there's just way too many games on other platforms that I want to play around the launch date.
I canceled because I'm sure there's not going to be another Wii situation where you can't find one for months at a time.

There's just too much to play, and as excited as my wife is for trying out 1/2 Switch and I am for Zelda, it's such a big investment to bring in brand new system when it looks like more amazing stuff is coming out for something I already have. I haven't even fished TLG & GR2 yet let alone RE7 in VR and now Nier/Nioh/Horizon on the way...

I'm just going to have games in packages sitting there if I keep buying lol, I know it.

Cancelled it because the only game I'm really excited about is Zelda atm but I already have a Wii U. Was pretty much deciding between 720p or 900p+portable+400$ (CAN). By the time there's more than Zelda I'm interested in I'm sure I'd be able to walk in and buy one at walmart.

MaDKaT

Was set to preorder until the conference. A bit later kind of regretted not preordering but as of today, feel pretty good about just waiting it out.

I have it pre-ordered, and am awaiting information on the particulars of Virtual Console. If we get to the end of February and they either haven't said anything or what I need out of the program isn't present, I'll buy a Switch in a year or two when all the games I actually want are already out.

I pre-ordered the moment they went live and then last week cancelled my pre-order. The main reason was that all I wanted on release day was Zelda there was nothing else coming out at launch or near launch that I really wanted or didn't already have on another system.

I played so much Mario Kart on Wii U and I've never really been a fan of battle mode so for me it became a Zelda machine until Splatoon/Mario.

The problem is though that I'm desperate to play Zelda and I sold my Wii-U a couple of months ago so I'm weakening again.

C.Mongler

I had the opposite reaction. I preordered a Switch on Amazon just because it was up and I could with 99% certainty I was going to cancel it because I loathed almost everything about the reveal of the thing. As time went on, I put Switch BotW in my cart for the Best Buy $25 of $100 deal, and have now decided I'm probably going to get the dumb thing.

Nintendo is like an ex that I really want to get away from, but man gettin fucked from behind just feels so good sometimes, ya know?

Nope. Was sold on the hybrid concept and Tegra technology since the reveal. Fell in love with the Neon colors as soon as they made the big conference and I locked in my pre-order the minute they were available.

Been awaiting in excitement ever since. If anything, I want it more every day as games like RedOut are confirmed and games like Fire Emblem Warriors are shown.

Matbtz

Im just unsure if I want the neon one or the grey one. The neon onem would mean getting the extra joycon's to match those colours later.

Same here ! I thought it was not possible (all red could have been right joy con) but they are not stupid and inverted the colors when sold separately ! So I really could be buying the neon one now...

Social

Same thinking pattern here. But since it's tradition to get a new Nintendo console at launch for me, I'm keeping my pre-order.

Top Bottom