• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel like Sega isn't doing enough with the Sonic Franchise?

levyjl1988

Banned
I loved the recent Sonic the Hedgehog movie...

but I feel like we are still missing things from this Franchise. I grew up with Sega so I guess I want Sonic's resurgence to come back.

I just want a Sonic Advance collection for Nintendo Switch like how Capcom did with their MegaMan Collection

aHT4wSW.jpg

FPZcPKc.jpg

I want Sonic Boom, season 1 and 2 in a complete BluRay collection.

FxIHpQA.jpg

I want a Sonic game that can compete with Super Mario Odyssey!

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
An Advance collection is a no-brainer. Certainly preferable to yet another Megadrive collection. I'd love to see Sega let Lizardcube loose on a new 2D Sonic after what they achieved with SOR4.

And I wonder what is happening with the Sonic 2HD project? I hope it hasn't been cancelled, the demo is stunning.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It’s Sega.

The new console came out, time for another genesis compilation in 2021.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Lmao, wait for the yearly SAGE fangame releases and pick and choose your Sonic game there. I guarantee you that Sonic Team isn't going to start producing good Sonic games anytime soon. If I'm wrong, then it'll be the happiest crow I'd ever eat.

Saber

Gold Member
And for good reason. Sonic games nowadays are mostly mediocre tier games. Namely things like Boom and Forces. Mania did bring back a good amount of Sonics reputation back(its a good game after all) but they simply keep doing to trash after it.

Sonic movie also gave a boost to Sonic, but we are talking mostly about games.

They need to bring better people for Sonic games and get rid of Sonic Team entirelly. And for the love of god, fire those mentally ill writers.

Also, terrible idea bringing back Advance 2 and 3. Those 2 deviate way too much from the formula by adding unnecessary mechanics while its level design and enemy position are terrible.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s time for them to shelve Sonic for quite some time and start working on some good AAA games, even if they have to make new studios to get it done.

SCB3

I mean they were planning to release new stuff every month for his 30th anniversary before covid so they have something planned

cireza

Banned
Sonic Advance games aren't that good honestly.

This year is the 30th birthday of Sonic, you can be sure that SEGA will release games.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Don't make Sega do too much! Every god damn time people tell them to do something with Sonic... they shit out a SAHNIC GOTTAGOFASTS™ instead.

We very recently ended on a high note with Sonic Mania, lets just... leave it at that for a while, please! For the love of Sonic!

Fake

Sonic Mania was the best sonic to release in a decade. Make another one of those with a mix of mainly classic with a few new levels and I’ll be happy.

Or either launch a mega pack collection and I'll be good.

Now, 3D Sonic have being the weak point of the SEGA thanks to the Sonic Team.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic Mania 2 is a no brainer at this point. We actually really did have some good 3D-Sonic games over the course of the last 20 years, but there is no consistency. I remember when back in 2011 people thought Sonic was back on the right track after releasing two good 3D-Sonic games in a row. Then Sonic Boom came and crushed our dreams. There are several things they could try: 1) Going back to the Adventure formula and making it modern 2) Going back to Lost World but doing it properly this time 3) Going back to the boost formula but actually trying this time instead of making a souless cashcrab with Sonic literally running on autopilot 4) Something entirely new.

Thing is, they should finally stick to a formula and try perfecting it. Instead they try out 1000s of different things with obviously mixed results.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Or either launch a mega pack collection and I'll be good.

Now, 3D Sonic have being the weak point of the SEGA thanks to the Sonic Team.

The Sonic Adventure games, specifically SA2, was the absolute high point of '3D Sonic'. But even then Sonic in 3D really just does not scratch the same itch as old fashioned 2D or 2.5D platformer Sonic which is largely what people want. They don't necessarily have to use 2D sprites coz those cost too much but it really makes me wonder why the hell they can't do a 2.5D Sonic and get the physics correct... Their last attempts were average at best.

Manji Uzuki

I think we will see a Sonic Generations 2 and a Sonic Mania 2. Apart from that Sega is lost on what to do with the franchise. Hope they prove me wrong, I quite like some of the old games

Fake

The Sonic Adventure games, specifically SA2, was the absolute high point of '3D Sonic'. But even then Sonic in 3D really just does not scratch the same itch as old fashioned 2D or 2.5D platformer Sonic which is largely what people want. They don't necessarily have to use 2D sprites coz those cost too much but it really makes me wonder why the hell they can't do a 2.5D Sonic and get the physics correct... Their last attempts were average at best.

Revive Sonic Adventure pretty much tell how SEGA is f#$% up. Sonic Adventure Series came at 1998, a so fucking long time ago. I using the recents Sonic games to agree with the OP.

Sonic Mania was the lastest Sonic 2D game and well praised. What was the last Sonic 3D?

They can either create a proper Sonic Generation 2 or remaster Sonic Colors, with IMO remastering Sonic Colors would be a great move after all those tries with Forces, Lost World, Boom... of course something is wrong with Sonic Team.

K.S v2.0

Banned
something is wrong with Sonic Team.
This is the problem. This is the ENTIRE problem.

Sonic Team has not made a good Sonic since Adventure, back when the team members were different. A lot of the OG staff have left and the 'Sonic Team' of today is literally like the Blizzard of today, a complete shell of what they used to be. Sonic Generations and Colors was MUCH better than any of the previous 3D games since Adventure, but that's an EXTREMELY low ass bar to reach... In terms of overall quality they really are 'average' or 'okay' at best. They did not outright FAIL HORRIBLY like most of the 3D attempts after Adventure... but they did not really do anything outstanding or memorable either.

Sonic Mania isn't even made by Sonic Team, which is why it came out so good... Christian Whitehead is a real OG Sonic fan, so the game is created with actual passion and love for the IP and it really shows.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic Generations and Colors was MUCH better than any of the previous 3D games since Adventure, but that's an EXTREMELY low ass bar to reach... In terms of overall quality they really are 'average' or 'okay' at best. They did not outright FAIL HORRIBLY like most of the 3D attempts after Adventure... but they did not really do anything outstanding or memorable either.
While I don't think they will be hailed as classics anytime soon I'd still consider them good solid titles. It was definitely a solid foundation moving forward.. until Forces happened... and I still don't get why they dumbed down the mechanics and level design so much in comparison.. oh well.

When the best Sonic games in the past decade or so are rehashes of past games (Sonic Mania, Sonic Generations) or racing titles (Sonic All Star Racing)...

...no they’re not doing enough with the franchise. But they also need to quit trying to make a quality 3D Sonic title, because it just isn’t gonna work—quit trying to make “fetch” happen, and instead double down on your successes and go from there.

Also, it would be nice to have Sonic 3 back in compilations again. Get whatever the reason for that crap fixed ASAP.

And in all honesty, next Wednesday jokes aside) Sega needs to shack up with Microsoft in some capacity. Some of their best work was done during the Xbox era (e.g. JSRF, GunValkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT, Crazy Taxi 3). Outside of the Dreamcast era, it was some of the best work they did, period.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Sonic should just exist as 2D games. Sega and Sonic Team aren't capable of making a really good 3D Sonic game.

Whitecrow

Banned
Mania, being a remastered rehash being the best Sonic game in these last years, and Forces being so awful, speaks out loud that the current Sonic Team shoult just retire already.
Sonic should just exist as 2D games. Sega and Sonic Team aren't capable of making a really good 3D Sonic game.

Developers are to blame, not the style of the game...

Last edited:

NahaNago

It kinda feels like they don't plan out the sonic franchise releases enough. They should be trying to build up momentum and plan out this universe to tie in to each other.

MistBreeze

I feel like the best formula to do sonic 3d game

is to divide the game to many areas like hub world

u do explorations and platforming and collecting on each and there are gates in each hub lead to fast running stages like unleashed day stages

some fun bosses and comedy

keep it simple with tight story and game length 15 hours and it will be great if done right

no need for gimmicks like character creator or wear hog

no nostalgia stages like chemical planet or green hill all original and new

Mania, being a remastered rehash being the best Sonic game in these last years, and Forces being so awful, speaks out loud that the current Sonic Team shoult just retire already.

Developers are to blame, not the style of the game...
Mania was much more than a remastered rehash, but yes it had too much of an influence from the past.

Also Developers pick the style of game, that having been said. I don't think the current set would do much better with a different style.

Saber

Gold Member

Sonic Team ins't capable of doing 2D games eithers. They spend decades trying to replicate the formula, as well as the physics of S3&K just to fail miserably during all these years.

they need to make a 3-D sonic game using cel shading similar to namco bandai's naruto ultimate ninja storm series, and 2.5D cel shaded games like guilty gear. They will need the blast processing of zen 2 to ensure smooth fluid motion and physics, while the gpu makes it crisp, vivid 4k and 60fps
PqwW286.gif

and I dont want that shitty green eyed monstrous look. Isn't the original sonic anime look cute?

Last edited:
Top Bottom