• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel like Sega isn't doing enough with the Sonic Franchise?

SkylineRKR

All they need to make is Sonic Mania 2. The rest can fuck off. Keep it 2D, though they could try a game like Wonderboy Dragon's Trap. Call it Sonic 4 and apologize for that fucking abomination.

ShadowLag

Hot take: the decline of the Sonic franchise had nothing to do with 2D vs 3D, or even the gameplay at all.

It was the MUSIC.

Until they go back to the hype AF, vocal-less techno beats of the past (Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles) no one will care and they will never return to true glory. Mario and Zelda know this well, and keep pumping out legendary OSTs that stay true to their roots to this day.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I think they have done more than enough with the Sonic franchise, it even got a god-dam movie! Meanwhile franchises like Shinobi, Daytona USA Part 2 home port, and a Panzer Dragoon HD collection is what should be given instead!!!!

K.S v2.0

Banned
Sonic Team ins't capable of doing 2D games eithers. They spend decades trying to replicate the formula, as well as the physics of S3&K just to fail miserably during all these years.
Sonic Team really doesn't exist anymore, the same way anyone who expects Blizzard to still be any good.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think they have done more than enough with the Sonic franchise, it even got a god-dam movie! Meanwhile franchises like Shinobi, Daytona USA Part 2 home port, and a Panzer Dragoon HD collection is what should be given instead!!!!
I feel pretty much the same way..

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ve entirely given up on 3D Sonic. Generations for me was a pattern of 1 a nice remixed old stage with good music followed by one a had to do instead of wanting to do. I eventually started skipping levels until the game said “No, go do them.”

I’m sitting at the table with the Mania 2 and S3&K fans. I just want Sonic 3 Complete in widescreen. Give me that, and I mean the full game with the extra cutscenes where appropriate and possibly the original level order, and I’m happy. Obviously 144fps though.

Banned
all the Sonc fanboys want new iterations of the bad games in the series aka. Adventure,

meanwhile the only Sonic game with somewhat decently controls and camera aka. Lost World was critically panned and didn't sell.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

It's time to remove these.
Even in the "good" games they only serve as pointless things that get in the way complete with awful controls.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

In other words, Sega just needs to do the same thing they did with Sonic Mania. Get the fans on board. There is some incredible stuff out there by the fanbase.

Last edited by a moderator:

K.S v2.0

Banned
Know what I'd like to see? Another crack at the Sonic RPG thing. Dark Chronicles had a decent story, but played and sounded like ass.
All they have to do is take a page out of Super Mario RPG's book. Use 2D or 2.5D and make it look crisp and have an engaging turn battle system which isn't just 'pick your move'... no it has to have input layers or some complexity to it.

SonicJams

Love this OP, bout time we see more Sonic around here 😅
Yep, its been 3 years without even an announcement of a game, and judging by their PR, it sounds like theyre having trouble making the game. That could be a good or a bad thing imo.

Whoever said it was the music on the decline, I 110% disagree haha. The music was good before, but got much better with SA1 and SA2.

I want an SA3, but all gameplay styles to match sonic's core physics. And Sonic's core physics to be similar to SA1 with further improvements.

borborygmus

They should just copy the world design of 3D Mario games at this point, streamline them a bit and make them have fewer obstructions and have some speeding sections and really fast wall running and jumping. Have dash attacks for good measure. That'd be fast enough. Jumping on enemies should be lock-on based (homing attack kind of thing) in order to keep the speed up and they should be used as springboards into wall runs and various other speed based puzzles.

They could never make "running around at max speed" work in 3D and I don't know why they keep trying. There's nothing fun about going so fast you crash into stuff.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
My main issue with Sonic - is that the character is so very limited in what it can do that translates to enjoyable, diverse and satisfying game play.

As a franchise it’s clearly very limited and as a result they’ve struggled to evolve the gameplay in any real meaningful way.

Whitecrow

Banned
Hot take: the decline of the Sonic franchise had nothing to do with 2D vs 3D, or even the gameplay at all.

It was the MUSIC.

Until they go back to the hype AF, vocal-less techno beats of the past (Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles) no one will care and they will never return to true glory. Mario and Zelda know this well, and keep pumping out legendary OSTs that stay true to their roots to this day.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

That's totally wrong. Dreamcast series and Heroes still have amazing tunes.

Music style changed drastically in Unleashed.

I feel you, OP. I wish there was ambition within the Sonic franchise. It's hard to define precisely because I'd rather it surprise me, but I'd like for a Sonic game to wow me again like how Sonic R and Sonic 3 and Knuckles did. That sense of colorfulness, multiple playable characters with different abilities being able to unlock different paths because of said abilities. The great music! Branching paths that reward your exploration. Collectible Chaos Emeralds that reward the player for mastery of the game. But even if I did get these things in a new Sonic game, not sure if I'd enjoy it as child me would have. I really want Sega to prove me wrong though, if a new Sonic can surpass these classics for me, then that'd be a dream game honestly. Looking forward to Balan Wonderworld for at least a bit of that Sonic vibe I missed when younger

BlackTron

Sonic has never been able to compete with Mario.. that’s just a fanboy dream.. let it go

the movie was great though ! 👍

This is wrong, in the early 90's Sonic catapulted Sega's success. He was specifically designed to steal a lot of Mario's thunder, and he did spectacularly.

It's been a downward spiral ever since though.

To answer OP directly, of course not enough is being done with Sonic. He is a character so strong that he can lead the charge at the front of a console launch, like Mario. Sonic's potential has been totally wasted on incompetence and is merely a shell of his former self.

Miles708

Was it a rumor o is it true that Nagoshi (head of a lot of things in Sega) doesn't particularly like sonic as a franchise? It would partly explain the constant b-tier treatment it gets.

Yes Sega should do much more, starting with assembling a team of outstanding level designers.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Sonic Mania was the first really good Sonic game in a while and it wasn't their idea. Not only that but they gave the project no production support and only enough resources for a handful of new zones. They clearly don't get it.

Hopefully all the money Mania made convinced them to invest more heavily. I know for a fact that Mania 2 is in development but I don't know much about what it looks like or when it will be announced.

As for the mainline series, I have lost all faith in Sonic Team to figure it out. I think it's time to hand it off to someone else, maybe Platinum or even a Western dev.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

From a merchandising stand point Sonic has enough cache to make Sega money. I think that's the bottom line, the games just need to be put out without much effort, Sega makes money on every thing ancillary to the Hedgehog's image. Does Sega care about anything other than Yakuza anyway? Recently we have seem them let others handle their franchises such as Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage, Bayonetta, even slightly difficult to find Sega's name/association in those products.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Sonic Mania was the first really good Sonic game in a while and it wasn't their idea. Not only that but they gave the project no production support and only enough resources for a handful of new zones. They clearly don't get it.

Hopefully all the money Mania made convinced them to invest more heavily. I know for a fact that Mania 2 is in development but I don't know much about what it looks like.

👀

Miles708

Hopefully all the money Mania made convinced them to invest more heavily. I know for a fact that Mania 2 is in development but I don't know much about what it looks like or when it will be announced.

As for the mainline series, I have lost all faith in Sonic Team to figure it out. I think it's time to hand it off to someone else, maybe Platinum or even a Western dev.

Sonic Mania is good but waaaaay overrated, and the bosses suck so much. Studiopolis Zone is totally cool, though.
Didn't the team disband? How can Sonic Mania 2 be in development.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sonic's best asset is that he is a cool, likeable character. I don't think many fans are attached to a particular style of gameplay, even if we have our favorites. People want to play as an attitude-filled Sonic, while having a sense of speed and action.
With that in mind, I think they should have another attempt at an action-adventure title, with a focus on platforming, exploration, and story. The tricky part is still finding a way to incorporate speed.
Even in the originals, the speed almost feels contradictory with the platforming. It should be an element, but maybe it doesn't need to drive the gameplay.

It's been 10 years that SEGA isn't doing enough for SEGA franchises...

But FINALLY Streets of Rage and Virtua Fighter made a comeback ! OMG people were dying.

All i want for Sonic is a new Sonic Mania and a new Sonic Adventure.

a Mario vs Sonic kart or platform game would be also sick af !

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think some games just can't evolve properly. To me Crash 4 is just an old game. Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank are more mature and could evolve easily as they have a more story-driven approach. Crash needs to get out of Activision's grip first, and Sega tried the "story-driven" concept but it was shit because gameplay is just boring.

Actually Rayman is more Sonic than Sonic! But I think they need to be more creative instead of this roller-coaster gameplay they are in and have them in moderation/sections.

SF Kosmo

Sonic Mania is good but waaaaay overrated, and the bosses suck so much. Studiopolis Zone is totally cool, though.
Didn't the team disband? How can Sonic Mania 2 be in development.
Sonic Mania was made by kind of a loose coalition of teams in the first place, but most of them formed a new dev called Evening Star Studio, with Stealth (Headcannon) getting iced out. They're assisting on Freedom Planet 2 (officially) and developing Mania 2 (unannounced), or at least they were as of last year. I don't really know a lot beyond that.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sega isn't doing enough with ANY of their franchises. So many amazing ones that haven't had a new game in forever
Sega wasn't...
The new CEO ordered or allowed dozen of revivals lately.(in house or outsourced, i don't really care) More than any other publishers.

But I agree with you, guys. I don't trust Sonic Team for Sonic games even if they are doing fine with other franchises. (PSO New Genesis, Puyo Puyo Tetris)

SF Kosmo

Sega wasn't...
The new CEO ordered or allowed dozen of revivals lately.(in house or outsourced, i don't really care) More than any other publishers.
"Allowed" is the more accurate description here. Sega has gotten a bit more generous with the liscensing policy, but these projects largely did not begin with Sega and Sega didn't even publish them. Stuff like Wonder Boy, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, SC5, etc are not coming from Sega, they're just liscensing the IP from Sega. In the case of Rez Infinite I think they may have purchased the IP outright.

Thabass

That's totally wrong. Dreamcast series and Heroes still have amazing tunes.

Music style changed drastically in Unleashed.

Yeah, I love me some Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but the music was good for a while after those games. Though, even though the game was gods awful, Sonic 06 also has a great soundtrack. I feel like that was the last game that truly had a good Sonic OST.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
"Allowed" is the more accurate description here. Sega has gotten a bit more generous with the liscensing policy, but these projects largely did not begin with Sega and Sega didn't even publish them. Stuff like Wonder Boy, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, SC5, etc are not coming from Sega, they're just liscensing the IP from Sega. In the case of Rez Infinite I think they may have purchased the IP outright.
Both...
Sakura Wars, House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn, AC Virtual On, PSO New Genesis, Virtua Fighter Esport, Monkey Ball (there are pseudo audio leaks from the voice of monkey ball games) are in house games not mentioning games like Sega World Drivers which is more or less a modern Sega Touring Car with the same director (Kenji Sasaki) or strange comeback like Revenge of Death Adder via Sega Toys.

So yeah, ordered or allowed...

Second, licensing is better than allowing nothing like many other publishers.
Especially when Sega is allowing mostly good projects. This licensing policy is not a mess at all.

Last edited:

Alebrije

They have done a lot , but contrary to Nintendo than found the right formula at the first try with Mario 64, it has been very difficult to Sega find the 3D sweet spot for Sonic.

Just count the number of Sonic games since Genesis vs the Mario ones since SNES and you have more Sonic ones...not counting spin offs

Saber

Gold Member
They have done a lot , but contrary to Nintendo than found the right formula at the first try with Mario 64, it has been very difficult to Sega find the 3D sweet spot for Sonic.

Just count the number of Sonic games since Genesis vs the Mario ones since SNES and you have more Sonic ones...not counting spin offs

Nothing to do with finding a secure gameplay for Sonic. They are either incompetent or doesn't give a shit for Sonic other than make him being remembered out of something.

Sonic Mania wasn't a just sucess "because". Sonic Team never cared for trying to replicate what they did with older titles. They spend ages failing and failing again, trying to thrown whatever the crap on the series in the hopes it sticks. The results are a bunch of failed ideas and a fragmented fanbase.

Frankly I dunno why Sega keeps Sonic Team there. Its a big waste of money. They could do something similar to Sonic Mania or other so death IPs, by allowing more experienced devs/fans to trying making their games. They aways were very tame about fanmade projects, different from Nintendo.

Keihart

Is SEGA doing anything with any franchise besides Persona and PSO? that has to be the best move they've done in decades, ATLUS because of Persona was like getting their own small GTA or Skyrim, they can at rerelease the same game 2 times across 3 platforms, at least.

Las anniversary they hyped a new sonic and a new VF, nothing was shown tho, only mentioned, so who knows?

Keihart

Nothing to do with finding a secure gameplay for Sonic. They are either incompetent or doesn't give a shit for Sonic other than make him being remembered out of something.

Sonic Mania wasn't a just sucess "because". Sonic Team never cared for trying to replicate what they did with older titles. They spend ages failing and failing again, trying to thrown whatever the crap on the series in the hopes it sticks. The results are a bunch of failed ideas and a fragmented fanbase.

Frankly I dunno why Sega keeps Sonic Team there. Its a big waste of money. They could do something similar to Sonic Mania or other so death IPs, by allowing more experienced devs/fans to trying making their games. They aways were very tame about fanmade projects, different from Nintendo.
Have you seen the shitshow on the people that work on Sonic games? even the ones done by "Sonic Team", they have no consistency, they change the people around like playing bingo, so no wonder there is no consistency in the games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It'll be an unpopular opinion, but I'd say they've worked that franchise a little too hard. They have some great IP that is languishing.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If think it is a mixture of both. I mean how many different iterations of 3D-Sonic are there? There are the boost games, the Adventure style games, those weird auto runner games on Wii, Lost World being something unique too and not to mention stuff like Sonic Boom. Even 2D games changed styles frequently. Sonic with sword, Sonic as a werewolf, Sonic as a deformed travesty... There is just no consistency here. Them always trying to reinvent Sonic is a major reason for the very mixed quality of the games. It is the reason why the fanbase is so split. Just stick to one style and nail it. After Forces however, I don't think they could even do that, so whats really needed is Sonic Mania 3D. A game made by fans, but with a big budget.

Top Bottom