• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone getting really crappy pop up ads on gaf now?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've been getting full screen pop-up ads on my phone lately. Im wondering if I got some crap on my phone or if it's ads here. It's a completely up to date pixel 2 xl. Only seems to occur on gaf though.

wondermega

Yes I get it as well. The same one on and off for weeks. A pop-up message about winning some prize, and then it goes to a redirect. I have to force quit the app several times to get it to stop.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I've not had any on mobile lately, it's region based I believe. The admins can't really stop it before it becomes a problem because of the way ads work.

Grinchy

Banned
Luckily, I don't use mobile much. But this did happen to me recently. I just make sure that once it happens a couple times, I do what I can on my end to ensure that it's the last couple times.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Getting ones that total require me to exit the page entirely. Hope something can be done about this. It's clearly spam and bs ads.

For reference: ajax.googleapis.com, viglink.com, htl.bid and google-analytics.com run upon visiting GAF. The Google ones are typical. Can someone who is more affluent with web development shed some light on what viglink and htl.bid do?

What adverts are you guys seeing and what is their source? I'm assuming that the ad server is the issue.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Yes. Android here and It's been unbearable all week, I tought it was malware on chrome but I have the same shit on Firefox

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If you get intrusive ads just post them. We can't fix things we're not aware of.

Here you go. I loaded GAF on my iPhone, clicked the OT forum and got this pop up:
img_1259ybuha.png

Codes 208

Here you go. I loaded GAF on my iPhone, clicked the OT forum and got this pop up:
Same concept here. Except usually from amazon and samsung, with the occaisonally low-bit sounding CONGRATULATIONS. Usually i get one every time i open up gaf for the first time, but this morning one would pop up every other minute regardless of what internet app i use on my phone

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Something is up with gaf and these ads. Is the site running down on cashflow?

No, we are not intentionally running bad ads. I've never done that. Nothing's changed about our ad serving. It's an industry-wide problem now that there isn't much of a human element involved at the ad networks. We only use high quality ad providers, and we have systems in place to detect and mitigate bad ads, and they work for the most part, but these automatic redirects on mobile have been the toughest to deal with since they don't leave much of a trail behind that users can report about the details of the ad itself.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
No, we are not intentionally running bad ads. I've never done that. Nothing's changed about our ad serving. It's an industry-wide problem now that there isn't much of a human element involved at the ad networks. We only use high quality ad providers, and we have systems in place to detect and mitigate bad ads, and they work for the most part, but these automatic redirects on mobile have been the toughest to deal with since they don't leave much of a trail behind that users can report about the details of the ad itself.

Does the picture I posted help any? It has a URL in it. I can screenshot any of the bad ads I get if it helps.

OH-MyCar

I get them too, but from what I've been able to tell it's something that sits in your browsing history and overrides certain sites you'll visit (as for the criteria of what's affected, I have no idea).

Clearing my browsing data / cache fixes it every single time until it's back a few days later.

Nope, never seen one. Not on desktop or on mobile. Mobile is really slow at showing the ads though, as I did for a time get confused on whether the browser on it blocked ads, until I discovered that it was just extremely slow at loading them for some weird reason.

I went to go post that yes, Gaf is the only site that this happens to me on on mobile and lo and behold I got some shitty popup ad, couldn't use the back button, had to renavigate to m.neogaf.com just to get back here and post this.

I never had one in 4 years or however long I've been a gaffer and then started getting them about once or twice every visit as of a couple months ago... : (

Fox Mulder

They've been around on android for a good while. Just comes and goes in waves every now and then.

This is the only site I use on my phone that has these fucking horrible ads and just pushes me away.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I went to go post that yes, Gaf is the only site that this happens to me on on mobile and lo and behold I got some shitty popup ad, couldn't use the back button, had to renavigate to m.neogaf.com just to get back here and post this.

I never had one in 4 years or however long I've been a gaffer and then started getting them about once or twice every visit as of a couple months ago... : (

I'll talk to ad ops about it again and see what the current state of things is and what we can do, but the current systems we have have been in place since around June 2016 more or less. The whole industry has moved to programmatic advertising with very little human quality control, and we have to institute our own measures to keep ad quality in check. Statistically from what we can tell these sorts of bad ads only hit a small subset of users, usually running Android and usually non-US, but that's not intended to be an excuse in any way. The original mission statement for the boards when I revived them in '04 was to keep ads minimalist and unobtrusive, so this all pisses me off at least as much as it does when you hit one of these crappy redirects. Every ad provider lets them through in some numbers though. We have a detection layer on top to track them down and kill them but, like anything, it's a battle against entropy.

Apologies. To be clear, we have *not* changed our ad profile to make up for any shortfalls in traffic since the scandal mess. It's an industry-wide thing. Going to full HTTPS seems to have helped a little since HTTPS-compliant ad code is likely less susceptible to malicious script inclusion in campaigns, but I recognize that it's not a solved problem yet overall and I apologize. Maintaining a clean and unobtrusive ad presence on gaf has been a top priority ever since 2004, so this crap pisses me off. I know we have a tech-savvy userbase too and the minority of people who whitelist do so to help keep the site running, which is why I don't want to effectively punish whitelisters by increasing the ad profile or lowering the quality of ads. The plan was to transition over to GAF Gold by popular demand once we migrated, and that would absolutely help us continue to develop the site and push new features and give back to the community in lots of different ways, but after all the BS that happened and gaf being on the brink of death for a while while we got bombarded by people trying to shut it down, I wanted to get us to a better place first and have a community worth GAF Golding before offering an ad-free option.

Everything changed so quickly though, and I laid out the whole timetable publicly and it ended up getting lifted wholesale. Just want to do right by the folks here. Always open to feedback about how to proceed from here. Currently we're working on refining the giveaway system to be able to do the Indie Spotlight community participation stuff I mentioned, and we have a healthy amount of new users coming in and our current mod team is way more in tune with what I wanted for the community. Just taking it one step at a time, but I'm here as long as people want a NeoGAF, as I've said.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
Jesus I thought it was just me. Every time I refresh a page or go to a new page, I get some ad that forwards me a billion pages into some Walmart spin wheel that I can’t click “back” fast enough to return to the previous page.

It make me not want to be on this site. EviLore EviLore please look into this!

Also I’m on iOS if that matters

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It seems like I get the pop up every time I first visit GAF on mobile now. It used to be I would maybe see it twice a week total. It's always the same one I posted earlier.

demigod

This happened last year on GAF and it was fixed somehow, but now its back again. REALLY annoying because I have to completely exit GAF and then open a new page for it just for it to come back again later. Using Iphone with Safari btw.

Just got one on mobile. Fake Youtube survey with a message that starts with "Dear Apple iPhone User, Congratulations Apple iPhone user!"

EDIT: And another one a minute later..."Congratulations Apple iPhone user. You have been randomly selected..."

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So I have gotten pop ups pretty regularly the past month and a half but today has been especially bad. In 30 minutes I got 3 hijack ones for amazon and Walmart gift cards.

iOS here using safari

This is bothering me enough to find and bump this thread. That takes a lot to make me care enough for that.

I have had the exact same "walmart.superbooks..." pop up multiple times on mobile in the last few days as I have found myself here more often lately. Frankly I am just glad others are getting the same thing as it means more than likely its not a "me" issue.

Let's be clear, Evilore has no desire to do anything about this.
NeoGAF is the only website to give me popups and it has been happening for 2 years? Something like that.

Reporting them did nothing and neoGAF staff in control of ads haven't fixed anything.

It's a huge pain in the ass.

Xf9aiOl.png

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Been really bad today, apparently I won something... Super! But it's almost impossible to navigate out of it on mobile. Android if that matters. It is such a problem. It's only on gaf too.

Nester99

Major pop ups and redirects on my iPhone.

This is the only site on the internet that does this to my iPhone .

This is not industry wide this is neogaf specific. This will reduce the already significantly reduce traffic.

Action is required Evillore

TheMikado

Banned
Major pop ups and redirects on my iPhone.

This is the only site on the internet that does this to my iPhone .

This is not industry wide this is neogaf specific. This will reduce the already significantly reduce traffic.

Action is required Evillore

Getting it too

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have been getting the ads constantly on mobile this week. I haven't been browsing on my phone much since they always pop up and are a pain to get out of.

Codes 208

Its been really bad for the last few days for me. Earlier today i apparantly "won" some facebook related prize and when i try to adress the redirect by going back, it backs me all the way to my homepage so ill have to type into gaf again. And again...and again... i tried deleting my history settings and cookies, but that doesnt work for long and to day it was so bad i couldnt even sign back in without being redirected

Last edited:
Top Bottom