• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here into meditating or any type of mental relaxation methods?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I noticed over the past year or so that right before I fall asleep(it takes me a while to fall asleep, so I usually lay there with my eyes closed for 30 minutes to an hour before I doze off) that I remember things I've forgotten. For example if I forgot someone's name, or an errand I had to run, or a password... it can be anything. I always remember it during that time. And if I have some type of an interview or meeting and struggle with what I want to say, it always comes so clearly to me.

I wondered if I was just tired and it felt that way, but the remembering stuff is clear that some type of mind clarity is achieved during this time.

So I'm just curious if anyone here meditates or does any mental relaxation exercises and if it has done any good for you? Experience this over the past year or so has made me consider looking into it.

SKM1

Yes I do meditate and what you mention is a common aspect of it. In fact, it makes meditating kind of hard since you sit down and quickly remember something that you should do and get the urge to to and do it, which defeats the purpose of meditation.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Have a wank.

Every thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Really cool idea for a thread, OP. We kind of got into this with Tesseract Tesseract ‘s thread on relaxing, or something along those lines.

I never was trained to meditate, or read up on it, so I kind of just figured out my own thing. I sit or lie down some place comfy, close my eyes, shut out every trace of the outside world, and just truly relax. I think about things, things that are fun and interesting to think about, until the thoughts themselves just begin to disappear, and I just... am. As corny as that sounds.

To me, it is one of the most blissful things. Every time after, I’m just completely refreshed, almost like a second form of sleep.

mariopepper

Neo Member
Mental relaxing is one of the most important things for me because you need to be always calm. It's necessary when you have a lot of work to do ( or noisy children for example). Recenrly I found out about inversion tables. My friend has one and recommended me to take the same. He is always so relaxed so I think a lot about this idea. I've checked some people's reviews https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-inversion-tables-buyers-guide. If someone has experience with that would be pleased to hear

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The 4-7-8 breathing technique is great. I find it only takes a few breaths in this manner to relax.

The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as "relaxing breath," involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds.
This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety or help people get to sleep. Some proponents claim that the method helps people get to sleep in 1 minute.
There is limited scientific research to support this method, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that this type of deep, rhythmic breathing is relaxing and may help ease people into sleep.
There is an association between certain breathing techniques, such as 4-7-8 breathing, and other relaxation techniques. Some people couple this breathing with the following practices:
  • guided imagery
  • progressive muscle relaxation
  • repetitive prayer
  • yoga, tai chi, and qigong
  • mindfulness meditation
The only reported side effect is lightheadedness. If a person experiences this, they should either stop using the technique or modify the length of their breaths.

Sandy Bellpepper

Neo Member
There's a lot to be said for mindfulness and meditation. I went to a hypobirthing class with my first wife. It helped her a lot during labour. I've subsequently used the same techniques when I'm struggling to expel a large turd.

RAÏSanÏa

There's a lot to be said for mindfulness and meditation. I went to a hypobirthing class with my first wife. It helped her a lot during labour. I've subsequently used the same techniques when I'm struggling to expel a large turd.
and combined with levitation a way to avoid splashback.
3835717729_5a05ca0b73_z.jpg

BlueAlpaca

OP I've read that a relaxed mind is necessary for clear (and creative) thinking, that's probably what's happening.

I've always wanted to try meditation but I'm just too lazy, and I'm supposed to be the type that really needs it.

meditation is being okay with doing nothing, you dont have to necessarily cross your legs or hold your arms in a pose.

sometimes I just sit outside on the deck and try to spot birds in the trees or when I lived at the beach I would just watch the ocean for a span of time and be humbled by how inconsequential I truly am.

marijuana is cool too.

Bigrx1

Banned
I used to a little bit and did find it helpful. I didn't do anything fancy or like you see in shows or commercials where you sit with your legs crossed and your hands up - I just sat in a chair and relaxed and listened to calming music. It was nice, probably should do it more but I have games to play.

God Enel

So I’m back in the meditation game and it’s as hard as ever. Today will be my third day of meditation. 10minutes a day for a month is my goal and I want to see if there is any “progression”. I’m concentrating on breathing and found some “music” to meditate to. Today I’m going to try it without “music”. After a couple of minutes I think wtf am I doing I could just lay there on the couch like the lazy piece of shit I am. But then I’m sitting there for 10 minutes and as of now I don’t see any benefit. Though I have to admit that the meditation in shavasana after a yoga training is way easier than to sit down and just meditate. It’s different. And I have a hard time focusing on my breath. I’m breathing steady and slowly but there’s always something on my mind that’s .. disturbing my thoughts and.. meditation?!

any advice?

mekes

I have previous with feeling tired and ready to go to bed, then as soon as I get in bed my brain wants to have endless thoughts about all sorts of things. In the past when that has happened I have gone the entire night without getting to sleep. Counting down and other exercises I saw recommended never helped me, but some advice I found in the opening pages of a meditation book has been an absolute fix to my sleepless problems.

What works for me is actually quite simple. I do it once I’m in bed, my routine prior is whatever I feel like. Once I’m in bed, if I feel like my mind is overthinking I do a breathe in and out exercise. When I breathe in I feel my chest and stomach expand and imagine I am breathing in good energy. When I exhale I feel myself deflate and imagine I am breathing out anything negative I have inside. I try to close my mind off as best I can when doing this, so simply think “good” when breathing in and “bad” when breathing out.

I don’t know why it works so perfectly for me. Compared to other techniques I’ve heard about, my mind won’t wonder off to other things when I do this breathing technique. I really do find it relaxing and after a few reps I am usually calm and can carry on doing it til I am asleep.

And that is 100% of my experience with meditation. Just something that I learned out of necessity, but I’m so glad I know it. I only need to do it 3-4 times a year now, thankfully.

Humdinger

I've tried meditation many times but hardly ever felt a benefit. It usually just makes me more wound-up and tense than before I started. I think there's something about the structure/discipline of the process that I find counter-productive. Or perhaps it's the style of the meditation. There are many different types, and maybe I just haven't found the right type.

What works for me: 1) binaural beats music at certain frequencies, 2) rain sounds, brown noise, or other stochastic (if that's the word) sound, 3) bird song (not at night but relaxing during the day), and 4) exercise. Sometimes I can just instruct my mind to relax and it'll work, too. That's hit and miss, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom