• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

JimmyJones

Banned
I watched Pixar’s Coco last week with my girlfriend. She was an emotional wreck when it ended. I was even struggling at a few points in the movie and I’m dead inside.

G-Bus

Banned
Wife recently saw the trailer for Glass and got excited so we rewatched Unbreakable and Split. Fantastic movies.

Also been watching Blue Planet 2 on Netflix. Not a movie obviously but great non the less. It's worth it for Attenboroughs narration anyway.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. DAMN! that was a fun movie! just a pure pulp b-movie, with lots of classic monster horror feels, some dystopian/apocalyptic imagery, etc. very Speilbergian at parts, with friendly dinosaurs and characters gawking at awesome visages. one which evokes the extinction is particularly moving.

loved seeing the volcano eruption while dinosaurs wreak havoc. loved that comedic scene where Pratt wakes up, paralyzed, as a lava flow is inches from his face (very Buster Keaton!). loved seeing Howard being a total badass and at one point straddle a dinosaur (this totally has to happen in the next movie -- they got to go full Dino Riders!)

i know the film had so many ridiculous plot holes and leaps in logic but every time, i did not care. i loved how absurd it all was. the nostalgic bits in the mansion were a lot of fun, and that shot of the dinosaur on the rooftop with the giant moon behind him reminded me of Bloodborne! loved that mansion, it was so awesome. loved the dino auction stuff, the critiquing of capitalism, kind of amazed that the series has almost entirely been focused on the one island, when of course, all kinds of shady stuff would be going on outside. loved the ending, loved how they cannot possibly follow it up. might be my favorite JP since the first!

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
The wailing (korean movie)(horror mystery)
Nightcrawler (psychological)
Take Shelter (psychological)
Oldboy (korean version)(thriller)
The Chaser (korean movie)(thriller)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (Australian)( comedy film)

i recommend Hunt for the Wilderpeople very funny film. The rotten tomatoes and metacritic score i believe are accurate for it, i'm going to watch it again tonight.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a New Zealand movie, not Aussie, but yeah it’s fantastic. The director, Taika Waititi, has a very unique sense of humour and he also directed Thor Ragnarok. If you’re a fan, I recommend What We Do in the Shadows, which he directs/stars in alongside Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords.

Does "Erotic Love Natural Girl Who Takes Self Photos Of Former Curry And Sneaks It On The Net Is Neck Of G Cup Busty BODY! !Video System Vocational School Student Too Much Debut AV! !" count?

joombo

Banned
I watched Passengers.

Kept me quite intently watching throughout, though probably not one I'll see again. Solid enough production and special effects, so well worth seeing once.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watched the first Mad Max. It’s an incredible movie, and I can see why it was so influential. Great cinematography and editing. Reading the Wikipedia on it was a treat, it was a real DIY piece of guerilla filmmaking.

Also the stuff w the biker gang and his wife really brought to mind Mandy! Probably the most influential film of the 20th century, judging by all the knock offs it inspired. George Miller is a genius.

bitbydeath

Just watched Tomb Raider (2018).
It was pretty much a more serious version of the Uncharted 1 storyline... Not very imaginative.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Geostorm (2017)

a hilariously bad b-movie with high production values. what happens if Earth's scientists build a giant weather controlling network to curb climate change... and things go wrong???

funniest thing of the whole movie is we see this thing kill millions, destroy cities, etc. then they activate self destruct and shut it all down, saving everyone. then at the end of the movie is a one minute summary saying "Oh yeah, next year we went back and started it up again, this time it worked, no problem" lol

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to watching Passengers.

It started off so well. I like watching movies blind and this is one I knew nothing about beforehand. I was greeted with an awesome sci-fi movie that sucked me right in and then it turned into a generic chick flick. It was actually still pretty decent if I'm being real, but it ended on quite the whimper.

Saw the Bumblebee movie just after Christmas. My gosh, what an excellent movie! Michael Bay has finally redeemed himself from the horrid piles of shit that were Transformers 3-5 (I know some will argue 1 and 2 sucked as well, but personally I thought both of them at least had their moments).

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I watched Venom last night and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It definitely deserves a sequel and if handled right I think it could even be mixed in with the current Spiderman.

I also watch Serial Mom and loved it

Javthusiast

Banned
Saw the Bumblebee movie just after Christmas. My gosh, what an excellent movie! Michael Bay has finally redeemed himself from the horrid piles of shit that were Transformers 3-5 (I know some will argue 1 and 2 sucked as well, but personally I thought both of them at least had their moments).

Ehm.... Michael Bay didn‘t direct it. Travis Knight who directed Kubo and the two Strings for example did, that‘s why the movie is good compared to bayformers.

Saw Martyrs last night, the original not the crappy american remake, and man oh man was it disturbing. A really good movie, but not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Jean Cocteau's 1946 black and white film Beauty and the Beast, on cinema. Simply a perfect adaptation of the fairy tale and probably the beast adaptation I've seen. Dreamy sequences all over. I felt as I were a child. Not out of nostalgia but literally! Film spoke to my subconsciousness and threw all the realistic notions I had rooted in my mind away. This is the true power of fairy tales. Needless to say it trumps (sorry for the word!) Disney's adaptation by a wide margin.

cr0w

Old Member
Watched Night of the Comet for the first time in years a few days ago. Still holds up. Also watched Bird Box which was trash.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a New Zealand movie, not Aussie, but yeah it’s fantastic. The director, Taika Waititi, has a very unique sense of humour and he also directed Thor Ragnarok. If you’re a fan, I recommend What We Do in the Shadows, which he directs/stars in alongside Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords.

For some reason WWDITS didn’t really do much for me but I love Waititi and I think Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are awesome.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Bean (1997)

watched this over Christmas vacation. god it was funny. he ends up in a room alone guarding this famous painting that is being bought by Burt Reynolds for $50 million dollars and he sneezes on it. so he takes out a napkin and tries to wipe it away, only he ends up wiping a bunch of blue ink onto the painting. so he tries to get rid of that. little by little he compounds the problem, until he is rubbing the painting with lacquer thinner, the painting completely dissolving in front of his eyes. he ends up drawing a silly face on in final desperation.

mr+bean+whistlers+mother.jpg

the movie is just beyond silly. as an America, i am kind of puzzled by this guy, but i think he's hilarious. he's not exactly a silent comic, he is just a really weird guy. this is a funny movie if u just want to laugh at something.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I finally saw Welcome to Marwen. It was not quite what I was expecting but it was still a good film. It felt like an old school 90s children fantasy film but for adults.

Best movie theater experiences of 2018:
Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich - The entire theater was roaring with laughter and enjoying the carnage. The type of film best enjoyed with a crowd!
Mandy - Went to see this at a midnight showing and there was a older man in the front row, all alone that we thought was having a heart attack halfway through (turns out he was sleeping in his chair) and a rat scurried across the floor and it was a weird vibe to match the movie.

I watched “Ingrid Goes West” and it’s pretty good.

Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen do good jobs. Story is basically about an obsessed social media follower becoming friends with the the internet famous person follows.

The commentary regarding social media dependence and mental health is pretty spot on imo, however I don’t quite understand the end....

Plot spoiler
She tries to kill herself but is saved by her boyfriend who she under appreciated. As she’s lying in the hospital she starts coming to grip with her issues but then finds out her suicide video went viral and sees that she now has the social media audience she craved. Cuts to black as she’s smiling, transfixed on her phone and her new followers. What’s the message here?

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Saw The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

It's mindless action but better than I remember. Definitely has a Indiana Jones feel to it.

Manus

MV5BNDBhYzMzZGQtYTIxOC00YjJhLWExZTEtOTUxN2JlNGQwMGZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY3Nzc0OTk@._V1_.jpg

After seeing Red Letter Media recommend this decided to watch with a friend and boy I'm glad I did. This film was absolutely amazing. They said it seemed very Fincher like and it sure does.

Highly recommend.

petran79

Banned
Watched Robocop 1 on cinema. Simply epic, every second of it. Though I was more happy for my brother who had not seen the movie since 1992 and only remembered one scene, the one with the toxic waste.

mortal

Gold Member
Best performance from Steve Carell in awhile. Timothee Chalament has some impressive performances for his age. This performance gives me even more hope for his portrayal for Paul in the upcoming Dune film.
Beautiful-Boy-Poster.jpg

Codes 208

While not technically a movie but I just watched the Netflix iteration of Watership Down. If you get passed some of the (sometimes) awkward cgi animation, It was actually interesting to watch. found it to be a decent alternative to that older more disturbing animated “children’s” movie from the 80’s.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I watched Morgan. So no, no good movies lately.

Top Bottom