• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Not really. Everything just seems pretty bad now. I have no idea why. But I'm finding myself picking up a lot of issues with every film I see. My partner and I rewatched the Harry Potter series again though because we love those films. But at the moment we are both more into series. I find there's more good series out there / coming out, than movies at the moment.

I watched Hereditary last night with my friend. It seemed boring at first, but it picked up and got really creepy. The ending was pretty crazy, but I ended up loving the movie. I’d recommend it for any horror fan.

sol_bad

Total Recall 1990 (Amazon)
Chucked this on because my wife had never seen it and I have to say it's just an OK film by today's standard. I used to love it as a kid but now it feels a bit ho hum. My wife is amazed by all the prosthetics and puppetry of the 80's and early 90's films though, she didn't get to see many Hollywood films back in the day. I totally forgot about the plot twist towards the end,
Arnold is really a bad guy and he was manipulating mind wiped Arnold via pre-recorded videos
. The story is good but the film is a bit boring to watch on a visual level, as per usual with a lot of films back in the day, the action scenes aren't well choreographed and shootouts involve the camera showing someone shooting a gun and then another camera showing a guy being shot and falling to the ground. Not very stimulating visually.
We are going to watch the newer Total Recall movie soon, I remember hating it but it will be fun to compare with the original film fresh in my mind.

Sadako (cinema)
This was released in the Philippines this week, it's the new Japanese movie based on the Ring franchise. Watched it last night and unfortunately it was an absolute piece of shit, it was boring and I was itching to get out of the cinema. All the mythology that was set up in the previous films was thrown out the window and nothing made sense anymore. I haven't watched those films for a long time but from what I remember the mythology involves a VHS tape that you need to watch, after watching it you are cursed and you need to pass that curse on to someone else to escape death.
There is none of that in this film, there is no VHS, it's about a young girl who is apparently the reincarnation of Sadako but the Sadako spirit still exists. The young girl has psychic powers and faints whenever she uses these psychic powers. The main characters brother has a "Youtube"channel and somehow gets cursed but it's not explained how the curse works, His Youtube videos randomly get Ring inspired images incorporated into them. There is barely any scary scenes, the scary scenes that exist make no sense.
AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH
As much as it pains me to say this, as shit as the recent American Rings film was, it's still better than this utter garbage.

Hello World (cinema)
After Sadako we watched this new movie and it was really good. Beautiful animation throughout, it's 3D cel shaded and not your typical frame painted film, still looks great though. It's a time travel story but not really. I'll be honest, by the end of the film I was still very confused about what was really happening. Still, I liked the main character and the ideas this film puts forward are interesting. I don't want to say too much as it's best to see this without any knowledge of the story.

Saw Joker a couple days ago. Really surprising that the Hangover guy directed that.

Not a movie that's out, but the Clint Eastwood movie about the guy that was framed for the Olympic Park bombing looks really good:

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Had an excellent weekend of film with Network on Saturday (I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore) and Dog Day Afternoon tonight. Both examples of why the 70s really were a stunning era of film, perhaps that’s why I enjoyed Joker so much.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just got out of Terminator 6. It was pretty good! Non stop action and Grace was a really cool new character. I thought Linda Hamilton did a great job as well.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
King Henry was dooooppeee!!! Timothée chalamet (googled spelling) brought that energy very unexpected I thought he was like a girly man. lot of good action in this one :)

6Fmbdl0.jpg

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Taking a bit long break from horror to catch up on stuff. Right after rewatching all of the Harry Potter films. I forgot how much I love them. I’m in Order Of The Phoenix now.

alife

King Henry was dooooppeee!!! Timothée chalamet (googled spelling) brought that energy very unexpected I thought he was like a girly man. lot of good action in this one :)

6Fmbdl0.jpg
Recently watched The King as well and it was more of the writing and dialogue that enthralled me during this film more so than the action sequences themselves. I enjoyed how everyone spoke, especially Hal/Henry and I hung onto every line he delivered ever so fluidly. He definitely did bring a sort of energy you wouldn't expect from someone of his age and size. The speech he gives near the end was definitely mesmerizing:

"What matters is that you know, in your hearts, that today you are that kingdom united. You are England. Each and every one of you. England is you. And it is the space between you. Fight not for yourselves, fight for that space. Fill that space. Make it tissue. Make it mass. Make it impenetrable. Make it yours! Make it England!"

After watching The King and being introduced to Timothée Chalamet, I decided to watch Beautiful Boy. It's an exceptional biographical drama illustrating Nic Sheff's journey of substance abuse and the relationship with his family and especially his father. The stark contrast between Chalamet's role as Henry V and a drug addict demonstrates his range as an actor. As Nic Sheff, he sufficiently portrays the stages of addiction and the relapse experienced during the road to sobriety.

I haven't kept up with many Korean films/television series in a while and wanted to watch Parasite for some time now. I thought it was a brilliantly executed film. It lulls you into a false sense of security and you're sent down this rabbit hole that you want to keep chasing. There are moments of ingenuity, humor, and a slight uneasiness relative to the sort of symbiotic circumstances between the characters. The film's visual aesthetic, intriguing story of a struggling family, and character performances all make this film one of my favorite Korean films to date.

Sexy Beast
iu

(Be wary for searching for images under this title - you may inadvertently be dragged into the domain of Furries and sordid Disney Fan Fiction)

I saw this on release, but not since. I'd forgotten a lot of detail in this movie.
All the cast are great but Ben Kingsley's character is a career-highlight performance. You either already know about it or you don't. If you don't then you are in for a treat.
The sense of unease and menace is fantastic.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Recently watched The King as well and it was more of the writing and dialogue that enthralled me during this film more so than the action sequences themselves. I enjoyed how everyone spoke, especially Hal/Henry and I hung onto every line he delivered ever so fluidly. He definitely did bring a sort of energy you wouldn't expect from someone of his age and size. The speech he gives near the end was definitely mesmerizing:

"What matters is that you know, in your hearts, that today you are that kingdom united. You are England. Each and every one of you. England is you. And it is the space between you. Fight not for yourselves, fight for that space. Fill that space. Make it tissue. Make it mass. Make it impenetrable. Make it yours! Make it England!"

After watching The King and being introduced to Timothée Chalamet, I decided to watch Beautiful Boy. It's an exceptional biographical drama illustrating Nic Sheff's journey of substance abuse and the relationship with his family and especially his father. The stark contrast between Chalamet's role as Henry V and a drug addict demonstrates his range as an actor. As Nic Sheff, he sufficiently portrays the stages of addiction and the relapse experienced during the road to sobriety.

I haven't kept up with many Korean films/television series in a while and wanted to watch Parasite for some time now. I thought it was a brilliantly executed film. It lulls you into a false sense of security and you're sent down this rabbit hole that you want to keep chasing. There are moments of ingenuity, humor, and a slight uneasiness relative to the sort of symbiotic circumstances between the characters. The film's visual aesthetic, intriguing story of a struggling family, and character performances all make this film one of my favorite Korean films to date.

yeah that pre-battle speech was awesome got me hyped up lol

sWSXDWP.gif

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Sexy Beast
iu

(Be wary for searching for images under this title - you may inadvertently be dragged into the domain of Furries and sordid Disney Fan Fiction)

I saw this on release, but not since. I'd forgotten a lot of detail in this movie.
All the cast are great but Ben Kingsley's character is a career-highlight performance. You either already know about it or you don't. If you don't then you are in for a treat.
The sense of unease and menace is fantastic.

Wonder why that image was altered, I like this original poster type treatment more:

220px-Sexy_beast_ver1.jpg

6Fmbdl0.jpg
Saw this last night as well. Great movie.

Timothee Chalamet is possibly the best young-ish actor out there at the moment. I'm even more excited for Dune now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great series on Netflix about old school toys. Not sure how much excitement young people will have learning the history of Barbie or GI Joe, but it's great for nostalgic value, seeing all kinds of toys, and the business factor how these franchises grew from nothing to big time status.

Season 3 is coming out this month too.

If you grew up playing with these toys, you'll love it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Terminator fans should expect good chase scenes, push from a killer robot and that's it, because this whole thing of toppling the franchise's best is obviously never going to happen. With all that consider you get a pretty good action, horror film.

brap

Banned
MV5BZjI4ZjliNDItYWM3Yi00MGViLTgyMzEtMjA0ZTBiMDU0MTlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDY2MjU@._V1_.jpg

You like Tapout? Monster? Dolph Lundgren with a shitty accent? People constantly beating the shit out of each other? Watch this.

Grinchy

Banned
I just watched 15 minutes of Aquaman on tv. Worst DC movie. Absolute over the top CGI trash. The only postive thing in this movie is fap material from that crazy bitch Amber Heard.
I'm shocked by how many people liked that piece of shit. Smart people, even. People who typically like good movies.

It was a horrible CGI platter with an exposition dump every 3 minutes and neither of the main characters knew how to act. Especially that redhead. No screen presence whatsoever and just looked like some studio executives daughter or wife who is being forced on us.

drganon

I'm trying to think of the last movie i saw that wasn't made at least five years ago and cant think of anything. I guess modern cinema doesn't do much for me. I do want to check out joker eventually though.

Under the Skin was supremely disturbing.
The remake of Suspiria caught me off guard with how good it was.

Edit: been meaning to catch "the conversation" lately but havent been in the right mood.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I haven't seen the original Suspiria but the last scene of the remake is crazy messed up. Loved it too.

EverydayBeast

rsz_doctor-sleep-poster-2-913.jpg

I like this one, 4/5 I may have seen the first one, this movie did a lot, incredibly spooky.

brap

Banned
Above The Law was a lot better and more violent than I expected. Seagal in his prime. Good shit.

June

I gotta watch that and Marked For Death next. Not sure if I'll check anymore out but Under Siege will definitely be the last one I'll watch.

Under Siege is supposed to be his best film but I found it really overrated, it's just average. Personally I prefered the sequel when they are on the train - it stars a young Katherine Heigl as a bonus too.

I rewatched a bunch of Seagal's early films just recently. Didn't bother with Marked for Death though, so I might give that a rewatch soon.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Under Siege is supposed to be his best film but I found it really overrated, it's just average
Tommy Lee Jones is a fun villain. plus you got Gary Busey going nuts as usual. plus there is the Die Hard On a Boat setting. plus the playboy playmate with possibly the nicest tits shot in a mainstream film.

Under Siege is supposed to be his best film but I found it really overrated, it's just average. Personally I prefered the sequel when they are on the train - it stars a young Katherine Heigl as a bonus too.

I rewatched a bunch of Seagal's early films just recently. Didn't bother with Marked for Death though, so I might give that a rewatch soon.

Under Siege 2 is definitely more entertaining, especially since it leans into ridiculous territory constantly.

I would still say part 1 is definitely a better "movie" and Die hard clone though. Plus I love that stupid part at the end where out of nowhere, Seagal and Tommy Lee Jones suddenly realize they know each other, yet it's never elaborated on in any way. They basically just lazily shit that so it can suddenly be personal or whatever. Gotta love action trash like that. =P

And Marked for Death is definitely worth watching and is one of his better early movies (Though still filled with stupid scenes, just the way I like it). Plus you get Keith David as a co-star.

Last edited:

brap

Banned

ok well i guess under siege 2 is last then lmao

God Enel

I need to see Parasite! No one is showing it near me.

giphy.gif

absolutley. My movie of the year. It’s incredible. I recommend everyone to see it. At a certain point i thought “I don’t know how they are going to keep the audience entertained” but holy shit they delivered.

Nymphae

Banned
I finally bought The Rocketeer on Bluray, I've had that on my wishlist forever and it never drops in price really, so I said fuck it. Possibly one of my favourite character designs ever. I love art deco.

Rocketeer-Movie-Costume-Display-2_1.jpg

Woke score - 3/10
Not a single POC anywhere to be seen in this movie. Features a damsel in distress, and she doesn't even get a single scene where she gets to exert any girl power. This movie is white men front to back, it's boys playing with toys, and saving broads.

I don't know why the main actor didn't have a bigger career, he was perfect in the role and has a good look, I don't remember seeing him in anything else. Jennifer Connelly is super cute, and I really enjoy Timothy Dalton as the Nazi antagonist. Effects, for my money, hold up better than I expected. Give me this sort of blue screen and practical effects over CGI any day of the week. The seams are always visible, but damn it has charm.

Edit: I did actually forget about the scene where Jennefer Connelly seduces Dalton in order to knock him out after he had kidnapped her, which I guess is a little girl power, but she only escapes to the adjacent room and is immediately captured again lol.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

96cf1-moviebannerfanatic.png

Travolta one of my favorites, did a good job of changing into crazed fan. I don't know if anyone saw this movie coming, probably worth a watch (1h 28m)
3/5 kinda underrated.

partime

I rewatched Frozen last night. Pretty dam good still.

So is Elsa a LESBIAN?

Not sure if TV series count, but I finished season 2 of The End of the F***ing World on Netflix. It was quite captivating and I love the energy between Alyssa and James.

Top Bottom