• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched Eyes Wide Shut last night. Watch it every year. It’s my favorite Kubrick film. Tom Cruise is so fucking ridiculous in this movie the whole thing is just so ridiculous and absurd and makes zero sense, but I think that’s why I love it. It almost feels fairy tale-ish.

And Tom Cruise repeats lines back in the form of a question about 100 times in this movie.

And the orgy scene might be the best scene in cinema history.

brap

Banned
A Christmas classic.
6Xp7F7H.jpg

Hinedorf

Banned
The only Christmas tradition I have besides getting totally wrecked is to watch this at least once

images.ashx

My whole childhood was the Bing Crosby Christmas album on a record player, still the best.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1zrvedwl8gs31.jpg

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker 2019

A bit of a speed bump for the franchise and I don't buy into the bitterness around the movie.

I believe this will be a lot of fans favorites essentially for the action alone, the lore doesn't mean much to casuals and no other franchise is at good at always doing great epic beat-down between enemies it's STAR WARS.

Sith vs Jedi battles are so fun to watch, I liked what Ren was doing with the long distance force tactics, bottom line it's a 4/5 movie and to hardcore fans, it struggles in many areas (dialog, pace, pleasing everyone, handling characters etc etc.)

Ok I like this film a lot I just don't think it was Star Wars' year.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Re-watched A Most Violent Year the other day. Had to have seen it 3 or 4 times by now I really like this movie. Guy is fighting to be a clean and honest guy in his business full of dirty players and is doing everything he can not to stoop to their level.

Watched Eyes Wide Shut last night. Watch it every year. It’s my favorite Kubrick film. Tom Cruise is so fucking ridiculous in this movie the whole thing is just so ridiculous and absurd and makes zero sense, but I think that’s why I love it. It almost feels fairy tale-ish.

And Tom Cruise repeats lines back in the form of a question about 100 times in this movie.

And the orgy scene might be the best scene in cinema history.

The filming was so stressful for Cruise that he actually developed two ulcers while making the film. It's been long speculated that it was the film that broke the marriage between Cruise and Kidman.

It's a film about secret societies which is why it's so confusing because Cruise's character is just like the viewer, confused about what's going on which is why it's so genius.

In a post Epstein era the movie is still relevant today.

bitbydeath

On holidays so watched a bunch-

Hungover Games - Pretty bad but lots of tits.
Venom - It was alright, would watch another.
Underground 6 - Meh, was OKish. Opening scene is the best part.
Frozen 2 - Better than I expected storywise
Truth or Dare - Horror, so I enjoyed it

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw The Lighthouse and I didn't like it. And I usually love these types of movies. Maybe it's because I had trouble hearing some of the dialogue and need to watch it again. But mainly I just thought it was too weird, and I like weird, but I didn't find this interesting weird.
I didn't really find any of the mysteries surrounding if he was going crazy or if this stuff was actually happening compelling, because I felt no looming threat. If it leaned a little more on the horror side and maybe they had an extra crewman at the lighthouse and he was murdered and then you wonder if he went crazy and killed him in psychosis or if it if this siren exists and isn't in his head, did the siren kill the crewman? Something like that I'd have been intrigued. But I felt like ok even if this supernatural stuff is real and he isn't going crazy, who cares. It didn't give me any reason to care either way. But I kinda knew early on how the movie was gonna play out too, so it was no real surprise and I didn't particularly care about any of the characters in any way so whatever ended up becoming of them didn't really matter to me. And the masturbation stuff was kinda gross.

But I liked the acting, the performances were very good.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I watched FX's retelling of A Christmas Carol. I thought it was good, though it was extremely heavy on the exposition from characters. Lots of great dialog though. A few powerful moments. It seemed really high budget for a FX tv show.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
From Russia With Love (1963) - James Bond at his early best. lots of tropes that would later pop up in Austin Powers are in here. the fight with Robert Shaw on the train is really awesome. first movie with Q. beyond classic.

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) - really awesome. had never seen this the whole way through, just the bullet proof ending. feel like 80% of every action movie ever made owes itself to this. lots of good one liners. Clint is a total badass.

Red Dawn (1984) - shockingly good. i remembered this being more schlocky but it gets really intense in parts. amazing stacked cast with Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen and Lea Thompson etc.

No Man's Land (1987) - another with Charlie Sheen. a rookie cop goes under cover to infiltrate a car thief ring, they all steal porches, and Charlie Sheen is one of the head guys. good 80s action right here.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to watching Joker. Great performance from Pheonix and an interesting movie overall.

I definitely liked it, but I did feel like the strong reaction from the people of the city was missing some buildup.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker - fantastic, satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga
Monos - very interesting South American film about a group of child soldiers holding a hostage
Ad Astra - very well made movie, but boring at times

PanzerAzel

Calibre (Netflix original).

Tight little thriller. One of the “what would you do?” flicks. Well acted and paced morality play, and also has Tony Curran who’s a bonafide badass in whatever he’s in.

megamerican

Ford vs Ferrari - Well done classy crowd pleaser
Knives Out - Satisfying mystery with a lot of fun performances
Richard Jewell - Another solid Eastwood movie with an amazing main performance
Marriage Story - Acting showcase, can be tough at times but funnier than you may expect

Fbh

Saw Jingle All the Way yesterday, hadn't seen it in several years.

I still think it's fun. Seems like it's only frowned upon by the more boring and sensitive modern audiences who take it too literally. "Oh he makes a bomb threat that isn't funny"..."Oh he puts a child in danger that isn't funny",... "oh the neighbor is creepy that isn't funny"..... yes it is, it's a silly movie from a time when people understood it's a silly movie and didn't need to find the real world implications everything would have if it actually happened.

drganon

Just watched backdraft for the first time in like twenty years. The story isnt the greatest and it's a bit cheesy in some parts, but overall it's a good flick. The acting performances from everyone is quite good and the special effects hold up well since they used practical effects for the most part and not cgi. Donald Sutherland in a small part gives quite the creepy performance in particular. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

title-short-bare.jpg

I never had anything beef with the Rock or Jumanji 1, great idea and my sense is this movie wins in a lot of departments like family, action, and more importantly playing the #2 slot to Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker. At 1 hour and 30 mins you like that the movie gets to the point and it tends to move along scene through scene. It probably doesn't come close to the 90s Jumanji but it pulls off the fun action movie.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

cc74620bf863938591582be752114cdf.gif

giphy.gif

Btw I think Hollywood takes the Rock seriously now, 10+ movies under your belt is a big deal.

sol_bad

Klaus is a really great Christmas themed movie available on Netflix. Not the greatest Christmas movie but still great. Die Hard, Iron Man 3 and Home Alone are the greatest.

Don't watch the trailer as it makes the film look terrible. It's basically a Santa origin film with beautiful animation. I liked the story set up, Jesper the postman belongs to a rich family and he is lazy. Father sends him to a town on the edge of civilization and sets up a challenge to accomplish or he gets cut off financially.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The Irishman

Great cast, great acting. 3.5 hours tho.. Would recommend.

The King

Didn’t really like it. Great acting but the story was a bit meh.

EverydayBeast

Angel Has Fallen (2019)

0a6b38b1e3a773fefb0c74ceb094ca4728a2bdac16091046f76a89bf7c6404bd-rimg-w720-h273-gmir.jpg

I think this movie is better than people think and I predict they'll be a sequel.

4/5

6 Underground - total fucking destruction in very expensive looking locations, with hot chicks running around and bad (but usually funny) comedy.
It's really impressive!

MastAndo

Uncut Gems - pretty much as good as advertised. It does a great job of building this uncomfortable tension. I also saw Punch Drunk Love again recently, and really dig Sandler in these darker roles.

Rise of the Skywalker - didn't hate it, didn't love it. It's so frenetic, and crammed with so much stuff, it doesn't really give you enough time to process anything - more specifically, it distracts you enough so you don't dwell on the fact that what you're seeing might suck. It's also one of those flicks that you might not hate immediately, but you'll probably dislike more and more over time, given time to think about it.

Knives Out - loved it. It's just a smart movie, for lack of a better term, and an enjoyable take on the "whodunnit" genre...great performances from the ensemble cast. I particularly liked Chris Evans trying his hand at being a dickhead, a role which he absolutely nails.

Marriage Story - about a quarter of the way through I was thinking "why am I watching this inconsequential story about something that happens to like, 50% of couples? ...who cares?" By the end, I had shed a tear. Not really a relationship guy, but I've been through enough break-ups to have movies like this and Eternal Sunshine tug at the old heartstrings. Generally speaking though, and more than anything, this is an acting tour-de-force if there ever was one. Driver and ScarJo are excellent.

Grinchy

Banned
I watched Ad Astra finally. I liked it on paper, but I don't think it justified its runtime. The themes are done well and I liked the (mostly) real science. I mean, at some point it has to be a movie and not a NASA livestream, so liberties need to be taken and I am ok with them.

Grinchy

Banned
I also watched All the Money in the World.

I didn't know the story before watching and damn was it good. The way they replaced Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer just wasn't an issue and Plummer nailed it.

bitbydeath

Hellboy Reboot.
Not as good as the Ron Pearlman movies.
David Harbour himself was great but his makeup wasn’t as good and it was a bit on the boring side.

mortal

Gold Member
o74pu3otdco31.jpg

Really enjoy this one, very raw and grounded. From the same directors of Good Time. Great performances all around, and one of Adam Sandler's best performances in a long while.
A score composed by Oneohtrix Point Never. Loved the color grading in this film.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

images

The Parts You Lose (2019)
1h 34m

I liked this movie but not as much as El Camino and by the middle of the movie you find out it's Jessie Pinkman (Back to the Cops, on the run etc.) all over again which is amazing, along the way you start to feel for the main child character and his family and I'm happy the movie got made.

4/5

Fbh

Finally saw Joker.
Was definitely good and Joaquin Phoenix deserves whatever awards he will get for this. The only part I wasn't a fan of was the rather forced connections with Batman/Bruce. Having him have some connection with Thomas Wayne and having him be so tied to the events that ultimately result in his death was unnecessary IMO

Last edited:
Does Thor: Ragnarok count? I saw it again the other day and maybe enjoyed it more than the first time.

It was a terribly silly and stupid movie but also pretty fun with some good visuals.

I also liked Hela as a villain and ffs she could probably give Gauntlet-less Thanos a run for his money.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I just watched both episodes of IT and would recommend watching them together as one. I was surprised at how good it was.

sol_bad

I totally forgot to mention that I finally watched Marriage Story.
So damn good, everything about the movie. Extremely good performances by Johansson and Driver. There is one scene between the 2 of them that is extremely powerful and made me tear up.

Story plot spoiler
Just in case people aren't aware and don't want to know I spoiled this but it is about a marriage break up so it's not all sun flowers and happiness. If you were hoping for a feel good movie you might want to watch something else.
:)

Very good movie, not my top movie of 2019 but easily in my top 5.

EverydayBeast

treadstone-5da78aab0640c.jpg

Bourne is the highest rated spy thriller of all time so there's a variety of reasons why they would make this TV Show and invest more into the Bourne universe.

The show might become bigger in time, and I think the reason for that is they've fallen in line with diving into the tread stone lore, but it's the Bourne world and at any given time you can die, where's all the action and car chases? Every episode had character building and I'm being nice in this review, I still give the actors, assassins, etc. a ton of credit and pick this show over many, waking up and wondering what the government implemented in you, your mission is nothing short of remarkable. There's some action but it feels like the show is playing the long game.

8/10

Dark Knight Rises wasn't as good as I remember it. I keep laughing at all the Bane parts too.

I watched Alien again. That movie will always be awesome.

91frxX2Fl7L._RI_.jpg

Just as good as the first one. Super tense.

I liked it, but not as much as the first. Kind of felt the ending was weird too. Are they making a third I hope?

Watched The Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition of course) last night with one of my kids, it was his first time seeing it. I've seen it a ton of times but probably haven't watched it in 5 years or so.

It was so good. Just as good as I remembered. It's mostly managed to age like fine wine. There are a couple rough CGI spots, but they are most definitely few and far between. Having seen it so many times I know about all the little gaffs and visual tricks and what not, but it doesn't matter. My kid was blown away that Gimli is over 6 feet in real life. I think these movies will stand the test of time pretty well.

TacosNSalsa

Detective Pikachu . I don't know much about Pokemon other than some of the first gen stuff I saw on tv many years ago but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it . Definitely feels like more could've been done with it as you see most Pokemon in passing only (no angry Jigglypuff???) but I'm happy I watched it

EverydayBeast

U-banner-560x241.jpg

We see deep sea divers try to survive an attack from super freak ocean creatures, I don't think anyone expected this movie to be good but the cast works, and the plot is effective. You can tell a lot of money was spent on special effects and it's possible I watch this one again.
6/10

sol_bad

Last night the wife and I watched Little Miss Sunshine. God damn, why did it take me so long to watch this film?
It's so damn good and absolutely hilarious. I was in many fits of laughter.
If you aren't aware it's about a family traveling 700 miles by car to get their daughter to a beauty pageant.
It stars Toni Collette as the mum, Steve Carrell as the uncle and Paul Dano as the son. But for me the stars of the show was Greg Kinnear as the father and Alan Arkin as the grandfather, freaking hilarious the both of them.
Everyone should watch this film.

Top Bottom