• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

megamerican

The Platform - One of those perfect fits to be a Netflix original. It's weird and twisted enough to grab you, but people wouldn't go out to the theater for this. I'd recommend it to fans of things like Cube, or Black Mirror. It's also a good movie to watch with this quarantine where it feels like I'm constantly hungry, definitely won't be a problem watching this.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm watching Waiting right now, the 2005 raunchy restaurant comedy. I haven't seen this probably since it came out. It's a fun little ensemble comedy, and holy shit this movie could never be made today.

- Many jokes about Ryan Reynolds character being into girls high school age and younger
- The crew has a game where they flash each other with the goal of calling the one who sees the cock and/or balls a fag, and beat him for it
- An enraged female employee literally screaming I FUCKING HATE FOREIGNERS and talking about how they don't tip
- Ryan Reynolds imitating Forest Gump and saying mama used to hit me over the head and call me a retard

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Finally watched Ad Astra.

Really poor. It looks fantastic and the acting is good, but what a stupid story. Just pointless set piece after pointless set piece masquerading as some deep exploration of redemption.
Yea, I found it disappointing as well.

eot

Banned
I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but decided to re-watch Kill Bill Vol. 1 for some reason. I find it to be a strange movie, because there are scenes I really like and ones that just bore me. The huge fight vs the Crazy 88 for example I don't think is a good fight scene at all, and it's not even interesting stylistically (to me anyway). I also think the anime bit showing O-Ren's backstory feels out of place. Then, there are scenes like the final duel, which is beautifully shot and staged, showing an unusual (for him) amount of restraint. I think the movie is an homage to a lot of different things, and changes a lot from scene to scene as a result. A solid half of it doesn't land for me and the whole thing feels disjointed as a result. I like the second one less so I don't think I'll bother.

One redeeming thing about the film though is that it has the least amount of "Tarantino monologuing at you through a character" out of all his movies - out of the ones I've seen at least. His way of writing dialogue tends to be too self indulgent for my tastes, but this one left the monologues out.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
51982c%2BZs1L.jpg

The korean version of Castaway and it's 1 million time better than the original one.

Fbh

The Platform - One of those perfect fits to be a Netflix original. It's weird and twisted enough to grab you, but people wouldn't go out to the theater for this. I'd recommend it to fans of things like Cube, or Black Mirror. It's also a good movie to watch with this quarantine where it feels like I'm constantly hungry, definitely won't be a problem watching this.

Watched it too and yeah, I liked it and it's a good fit for Netflix.
Definitely feels like a longer (and more gorey) episode of Black Mirror from back when it was still good.

Grinchy

Banned
Uncut Gems was pretty good. It did such a good job of making you feel the stress of the main character through the whole thing that it was kind of exhausting to watch.

The Gentlemen was also good. I wasn't completely sold in the first 15 or so minutes and started worrying I'd regret watching the whole thing, but it pulled me in and ended up being very fun to watch.

Seeing a bunch of movies get pushed back to 2021 and not having any new movies come out at all lately or anytime soon fucking sucks.

They should just release A Quiet Place 2 on VOD.

teezzy

Banned
I watched Con Air twice, and then I watched 8mm and Adaptation.

I suddenly have an urge to watch every Nicolas Cage movie.

i was pumped when i heard they were releasing current/in-theatre movies available for streaming at home while covid lockdown was ongoing

then i checked what was available for streaming, and didn't care again

BigBooper

Gone With the Wind this weekend. Parts of the story are silly, but it's an amazing movie overall. Some of the scenes would never be able to be done as well today, specifically the burning of the Atlanta armory. It's worth watching.

Cutty Flam

Banned
There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day-Lewis is pretty good, a little more than a third into it

It’s 3 hrs long. About an oil man building his business from the start, a great and powerful theme to behold: Greed. Greed and its cost

Last edited:

sol_bad

I hate this Covid19 thing killing cinema and I sure as fuck don't want any of the cinematic films released VOD. Fuck that. I want the cinema experience.

sol_bad

The cinematic experience is overrated. If youd like, I can charge you twelve bucks for a soda and Twizzlers via PayPal. Then just make sure you dont pause the movie at all if you gotta take a leak.

It's not overrated, no home system can compare to a cinema system. Even if you have a 150 inch screen at home and $15,000 speakers, it still doesn't compare.

Nymphae

Banned
Hot Tub Time Machine 1 & 2 are under-appreciated classics I think. Rob Corddry seems like such a fucking douchebag but goddamn I love him in every role he has.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
It's not overrated, no home system can compare to a cinema system. Even if you have a 150 inch screen at home and $15,000 speakers, it still doesn't compare.

Matter of preference then, I guess. I use a 46" 1080p tv and have a competent 5.1 system with Polk fronts and rears, and a Yamaha subwoofer/AVR. Nothing fancy, but it's effective.

I'll take that over having to deal with people talking, distracting me with their phones, and overpriced concessions any day.

Maybe I'm just a homebody idk 🙃

Nymphae

Banned

Yeah you're right, sitting in comfort at home watching things on my huge TV does not compare to sitting in a disgusting theatre surrounded by inconsiderate total strangers armed with face flashlights, potentially poor seating positions and audio that is so loud it hurts. Also needing to take out a loan just for some snacks kind of sucks.

Last edited:
If you don't mind subtitles, Phase 7 is a pitch black, violent sci-fi comedy about a pandemic and the people trying to survive. Saw it years ago, but it fits into the current COVID pandemic all too well.

sol_bad

Yeah you're right, sitting in comfort at home watching things on my huge TV does not compare to sitting in a disgusting theatre surrounded by inconsiderate total strangers armed with face flashlights, potentially poor seating positions and audio that is so loud it hurts. Also needing to take out a loan just for some snacks kind of sucks.

I can imagine this being an issue if you only go to the movies 1-3 times a year and only seeing the big tent pole films but when you are going 1-3 times a week, it's really a none issue. Most people in the majority of films are respectful.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't usually have too many issues with disrespectful people in theaters but it can still get annoying sometimes. In Endgame, there was some girl like 8 rows back who loudly exclaimed, "Awwwwwwwww!" about 12 times throughout the movie.

If 2 characters shook hands, if a child was shown on screen, if anything happened at all, "Awwwwwwwww!!!"

My friend and I still meme about it to this day when we watch movies together.

I can imagine this being an issue if you only go to the movies 1-3 times a year and only seeing the big tent pole films but when you are going 1-3 times a week, it's really a none issue. Most people in the majority of films are respectful.

Going to the theaters during work hours when you got a weekday off. #blessed.

I hear ya though, I was really wanting to go see Quiet Place 2 in theaters. But yea it sucks. :(

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf
I struggle with the stiffness of the language of some of Hollywood's older films. The rigid direction too. I appreciate the context and the time these classic hail from, but can only keep that in mind as I watch them from the comfort of the 21st century. Given that this movie is adapted from a stageplay there is even more to the limit of the surrounding environment and reliance on detailed dialogue than normal. In addition to that, this is material that I don't mind admitting went partly over my head. The dysfunctional, abusive relationship, the psychological games. The era and environment. All worked against my ability to absorb all that this had to offer.

Regardless, the stellar performances of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are a treat and admirable in their intensity and chemistry.

The Ipcress File
Moving forwards in time and across the pond to the UK and Michael Caine in his youthful prime. As a spy thriller this feels quite undercooked - there just don't seem to be enough moving parts to keep you guessing for long. Caine is mesmerising - though more due to his status today and his 60's aloofness then to any genuine acting chops on display. Some of his performance in the last act is nearly as cringe-worthy as his Jaws stuff.

The entertainment for me was in the era, the endearingly clunky handling of scenes and action - considered slick and exciting for its time - and the astonishingly abrupt conclusion that is so common to earlier films. Very little sense of closure. Stylish but rather quaint by today's standards. Bond would gain momentum shortly afterwards and keep on upping the ante in style, action and story. But this has an undeniable charm to it.

The Gentlemen
So, in 2019 Guy Ritchie puts out Aladdin for Disney.. ..and also this.
If you've seen the trailer then you already know that this is a deliberate return to the Snatch and Lock Stock cheeky London gangster fayre that catapulted Ritchie into prominence and, it seems, a decade of questionable decisions.

The Gentlemen absolutely delivers on its promise and is a riot of violence, twists, big characters, jump-cuts, flashy edits and playful - if colourful - dialogue.
Where Snatch had Brad Pitt, The Gentlemen has Matthew McConaughey and it's about what you expect. The character isn't as large, the presence isn't as engaging. McConaughey consistently reliable, but rarely memorable.

To offset that you get Hugh Grant playing against type. Serving as the narrative voice for the film, he is a wonderful weasel of a character. With the possible exception of his turn as the bad guy in Paddington 2 (a genuinely fantastic family film - highly recommended) this is the best thing I've seen Hugh Grant in.

For added fun, there's a touch of 4th-wall breaking apparent at the end of the film, but it doesn't make a big deal of itself.

If you enjoyed Snatch or Lock Stock, this will be a film you'll want to see.

Last edited:
Just to remind everyone to see this gem:

It's a great movie.

Last edited:

darkestdame

Banned
Matter of preference then, I guess. I use a 46" 1080p tv and have a competent 5.1 system with Polk fronts and rears, and a Yamaha subwoofer/AVR. Nothing fancy, but it's effective.

I'll take that over having to deal with people talking, distracting me with their phones, and overpriced concessions any day.

Maybe I'm just a homebody idk 🙃
Definitely a homebody, going out with your friends is a timeless experience. Concessions are terrible but I just buy shit at dollar tree beforehand

VulcanRaven

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

I have been re-watching these movies on Blu-Ray and they are great. I hadn't seen the Frankenstein sequels in a long time. This was good but it could have worked better as The Wolf Man 2. Bela Lugosi plays the Frankenstein's monster in this but he doesn't do much.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So, I watched Uncut Gems last night. I heard it get praised, so I decided to give it a go.

What the fuck?

From the opening setup where music that is more suited to Bladerunner plays obnoxiously over people talking and a guy walking around hustling and talking on his phone for at least ten minutes until the final scene where you watch the antagonist make the millionth absolutely retarded decision that is so unrealistic to be bordering on comedy, this movie was horrible.

I don’t get the praise.

TacosNSalsa

The Room on Shudder (NO , not the Tommy Wiseau one!!!) I would post trailer but it gives away wayyyy too much . I just happened to watch it because the app was pushing it at the time and was pleasantly surprised . It's about a room that grants seemingly any wish that you want . That is something that revealed very very early on but still spoilered it just in case .

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Saw Midsommar yesterday and as a Swede I highly enjoyed it. The visual imagery was spot on making for a very authentic portrayal of the midsummer festivities and the pagan cult was very believable within the concept of the film. The storytelling is phenomenal in the way it sets up the story through a meticulous level of detail, foreshadowing events through various things such as paintings, tapestries, runic language and dialogue. It´s symbolism at its very best.

The scenery was beautiful and throughout the movie I was convinced that the crew had shot the movie on location in Sweden, but I read afterwards that they mostly filmed it in Hungary. Impressive location scouting to say the least. Midsommar also has excellent pacing and lulls you in through its increasing insanity in a very unnerving way. Every frame is thought out and makes me as a viewer constantly feel that something is off. It´s also worth noting that Midsommar features a large cast of Swedish actors, such as Gunnel Fred, who has made numerous movies and television shows in Sweden, making for a genuine experience.

When I think about it, the Swedish language do seem a bit creepy when put in this context and I read that director Ari Aster and the film crew deliberately didn´t subtitle the swedish dialogue for international audiences in order to make them disoriented and scared, just as the characters in the film feels. It makes me think of a particular scene in Minority Report, where Tom Cruise gets an eye transplantation from Peter Stormare, who plays some sort of bizarre Swedish doctor. In the scene, Stormare yells obscenities to his female assistant who then comes out and sings an old Swedish folk tale called "Små grodorna" (The Little Frogs). The song was not in the script and the actress improvised it as she felt it fit the scene and would make it more creepy. Steven Spielberg loved it and included it in the final cut of the movie.

Ari Aster seems to have researched quite a bit about Swedens ancient folklore tales and he even included Ättestupan, an absurd tradition where legend has it that old folks was said to jump from a cliff to their death when they had fulfilled their duties and could no longer contribute to the community. Aster also payed homage to John Bauer, our most famous painter of all time (this guy is up there with Ingmar Bergman in terms of cultural impact) as he included a painting that foreshadows the events of the film, which makes me think that Aster conceived big parts of the story around this particular piece of art.

I never thought that Swedens most famous holiday would make for such a great movie. It takes a very special kind of director to make a horror film this unsettling without the use of gore (very little of it anyway) and other common horror tropes, such as taking place at night (the entire movie is set in daylight). Midsommar relies heavily on visual storytelling and characterization, of its themes of sadness and loss by traumatic means, which weaves inside the story like branches on a tree and it plays out in such a bizarre fashion that by the end of the film I was stunned and perplexed by what I´d just seen.

Grinchy

Banned
Once upon a time in hollywood.

Long movie with lots of filler but I didn’t hate it. Probably wouldn’t watch it again though.

6/10
Yeah, that one was a big whiff for me. I really like Tarantino, and the movie is well-crafted, but it just felt like a bit of a waste of time in the end. Can't really say that about his other movies.

Nymphae

Banned
The Matrix - I haven't watched this in a long time, still awesome. Just picked up the bluray 4 pack with The Animatrix for 10 bucks.

One thing that never really occurred to me before while watching the lobby scene is that Neo and Trinity just straight up murder tons of non-Agent security guards who were just doing their jobs, who are going to be killed in their "real world" pods because earlier Morpheus mentions that if your brain thinks you're dead in the Matrix, your physical body in the real world will die.

Ultimately they were trying to save humanity I guess but it just made me laugh.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Bad boys for life 3rd bad boys movie.

Liked it, lots of filler characters in there tho which kinda felt like meh. But i liked the fact that the culture changed and priority's changed when they got older. Also liked how the movie developed. Sadly some side cast could have been ditched for the better of the movie.

The iron mask:

awful don't even bother, extremely bad acting / visuals / story.

Colour out of space,

Enjoyable, nothing good tho.

Once upon a time in hollywood

Not a bad movie sadly not good either, ending was all that it had going for it and that's about it.

Sonic the hedgehog.

Liked it, simplistic movie that was good watchable if you got nothing else to watch, sadly nothing special. Acting was on spot but a bit cheesy

Knives out:

Enjoyed it, actors are great besides james bond himself, wtf did the try to do with his voice man it's terrible off putting. The twitch at the end was something i didn't saw coming even while you knew a twist was coming. Bond himself was the weak part in the movie to be honest funny enough.

Average movie. not good not bad just a nice watchable movie.

Last edited:
Blood Father

Once again Mel Gibson shows that he never should have been put in Hollywood Jail. If you liked Payback then this sort of Mel flick will be straight up your alley. Overall the film is a bit formulaic but Gibson's excellent performance carries the movie all the way through.

Fuck Hollywood for denying me enjoyment of Mel Gibson movies for over a decade over something as petty as a drunken rant.

edit: Meant Blood Father not daughter :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom