• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Grinchy

Banned
Dragged Against Concrete was fucking great. It's by the writer and director of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. If you haven't seen those 2 movies either, definitely do.

I've been in a major movie lull for what feels like a long time now. Movies just feel like they fucking suck now. The number of really good movies seems to get smaller every year, but I somehow missed this one from 2018.

brap

Banned
Dragged Against Concrete was fucking great. It's by the writer and director of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. If you haven't seen those 2 movies either, definitely do.

I've been in a major movie lull for what feels like a long time now. Movies just feel like they fucking suck now. The number of really good movies seems to get smaller every year, but I somehow missed this one from 2018.
Brawl > DAC > Bone

bender

What time is it?
Psycho - It's weird as I'm not sure I'd ever watched the movie before but knew everything about it due to how often it is referenced in other movies and media. Rear Window is still my favorite Hitchcock film but I really enjoyed this film. There is something about the performances by actors in older movies, as it feels like they are in a play instead of movie and have a lot more responsibility in carrying the scene that was is expected for actors today. Even though I knew everything that was going to happen, I was still enthralled by the performances.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Haven't had much luck with my movie picks lately...

Brightburn 6/10

Didn't like the bad vibes from this movie and some of the characters are stupid as fuck.

Midsommar 2/10

After loving Hereditary (thought it was one of the best horror flicks from the past few years) I absolutely hated this one. In my opinion one of those "being weird just for the sake of being weird" kind of films. And the few gross scenes were completely over the top and didn't fit into the whole picture. If you like weird ass movies, check it out. Otherwise better stay away from it.

Amercian Heist 6/10

Kinda stumbled over a report that mentioned Hayden Christensen so I went through his last few movies on Amazon Prime and got stuck on this one. Mediocre flick, as expected. You can really see that they lacked the budget and holy shit the movie has one of the most abrupt ending ever.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Brawl > DAC > Bone

Haven't seen DAC but I'd put Bone ahead of Brawl. I like westerns though and Vince Vaughn just rubs me the wrong way.

Midsommar 2/10

After loving Hereditary (thought it was one of the best horror flicks from the past few years) I absolutely hated this one. In my opinion one of those "being weird just for the sake of being weird" kind of films. And the few gross scenes were completely over the top and didn't fit into the whole picture. If you like weird ass movies, check it out. Otherwise better stay away from it.

It lost me at the elderly ritual suicide and just how absurd the practice would be. Finish off the old man with the hammer was just gore for the sake of gore.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I saw them all so spread out time wise but in my head I like Bone best and maybe a tie for the other 2. It helped that I knew literally nothing about Bone Tomahawk other than the fact that Kurt Russell was in it before I watched it. I hadn't even seen a trailer.
Haven't seen DAC but I'd put Bone ahead of Brawl. I like westerns though and Vince Vaughn just rubs me the wrong way.
I don't like westerns so just by that alone it's my least favorite lol. More into the gritty depressing grindhouse type of stuff like Brawl. Great ending too imo.

bender

What time is it?
I don't like westerns so just by that alone it's my least favorite lol. More into the gritty depressing grindhouse type of stuff like Brawl. Great ending too imo.

Bone isn't without problems. Homeboy with the broken leg overcoming always feels wrong. Kurt Russell is a boss though.

Last edited:
Watched 7500 on Prime Video

Joseph Gordon Levitt plays a co-pilot on a commercial airline that gets hijacked. Shot almost entirely from his position in the cockpit as it all goes down.

Good film. Recommended (y)
Reminds me, if anyone is down for more intense, single confined location movies check out Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds trapped in basically a coffin underground trying to get out, and The Guilty, a Danish film about a police emergency dispatcher trying to save a woman in a desperate situation over the phone. Both excellent films that excel in character acting and misdirection/ withholding information from viewers to devestating effect.

BigBooper

Shadowlands - Anthony Hopkins stars in this biopic about CS Lewis and his relationship with Joy as he traveled through the Shadowlands. It was really good.

The Gay Falcon - No sexuality is involved in this murder/mystery/comedy from 1941. Just a Sherlock Holmes esque detective comedy. Pretty funny.

mango drank

Molly's Game (Netflix): 9/10. I don't know jack about poker, but I loved this. I haven't liked a lot of Sorkin's stuff from the past decade, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Apocalypto: 8/10. Solid popcorn movie. Great visuals.

Ford vs Ferrari (HBO): 7/10. Great, but really schmaltzy at times, which feels shoehorned in and incongruous to the rough-and-tumble feel of the rest of the movie--almost like it was mandated by corporate. The irony.

Bridge of Spies: 7/10. Good, but not really the "taut thriller" it was billed as. Lots of Spielbergian feel-good goofiness and comedy (which I like).

The Death of Stalin (Netflix): 7/10. Some funny scenes here and there. Pretty good overall.

Nocturnal Animals (HBO): 6/10. Eh. The two separate threads individually are just so-so, don't really gel into a greater whole. Felt empty and thin.

Ad Astra (HBO): 5/10. Some nice imagery and set pieces, but muddled and aimless otherwise.

The Vast of Night (Prime): 3/10. Some crackling dialogue early on, but it falls flat soon after and goes nowhere. I get that critics are trying to promote new, young creatives, but seriously, they went way overboard with the praise here. I wish you weren't a liar.

bender

What time is it?
Molly's Game (Netflix): 9/10. I don't know jack about poker, but I loved this. I haven't liked a lot of Sorkin's stuff from the past decade, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Really enjoyed this but I have mixed feelings about the Kevin Costner scene at the outdoor ice rink.

mango drank

Really enjoyed this but I have mixed feelings about the Kevin Costner scene at the outdoor ice rink.
What about it?

Fun fact: I didn't realize that was friggin Kevin Costner until the credits rolled. 🤦‍♂️ I haven't seen him in anything in like 10+ years, didn't recognize him at all.

bender

What time is it?
What about it?

Fun fact: I didn't realize that was friggin Kevin Costner until the credits rolled. 🤦‍♂️ I haven't seen him in anything in like 10+ years, didn't recognize him at all.

Not sure how to explain it. It feels a bit contrived. Then again it's a movie so...

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Ford vs Ferrari (HBO): 7/10. Great, but really schmaltzy at times, which feels shoehorned in and incongruous to the rough-and-tumble feel of the rest of the movie--almost like it was mandated by corporate. The irony.

I hated what I saw of this movie. I got to the point where Matt Damon is telling a pilot to move over so he can fly the plane and do crazy maneuvers to then land the plane on the runway next to where he's giving a speech. I looked it up later and the real story was, "they felt some turbulence on the trip."

Every moment up to that point was so overdone. None of it was believable at all. It felt like someone was desperately trying to copy and paste a Spielberg movie from the 90s or something. The scene in the factory where the boss is telling everyone to shut down, walk home, and come up with ideas while Punisher smirks in quick cuts was abhorrent.

It reminded me of that horrible Bohemian Rhapsody movie. I don't know how they convince people that these are good movies, but I want to learn how to do mind control like that.

mango drank

Every moment up to that point was so overdone.
But fast cars vroom vroom!

I think different people have different thresholds for things that annoy them in their entertainment. I hated pretty much every scene the kid was in, because it felt forced and saccharine (you probably didn't see a lot of this; it ramps up later in the movie). As for the over-the-top cowboy dick-swing scenes, those didn't bug me personally. They're definitely cheesy, but that's all part of the movie's tone--a crowd-pleasing testosterone fest. And I thought the racing scenes were great, so I liked the movie overall.

That aside, it did start to annoy when looking up the real-life details of all these "inspired by true events" movies after the fact, and finding out that everything was embellished so much. I get it, the writers are trying to make blockbusters, and they're going to exaggerate here and there. But after a string of these (Ford vs Ferrari, Molly's Game, Bridge of Spies, Death of Stalin), it started getting on my nerves. But that's a separate complaint. I can still enjoy the final results on their own, and set aside the fact that these aren't documentaries.

Grinchy

Banned
But fast cars vroom vroom!

I think different people have different thresholds for things that annoy them in their entertainment. I hated pretty much every scene the kid was in, because it felt forced and saccharine (you probably didn't see a lot of this; it ramps up later in the movie). As for the over-the-top cowboy dick-swing scenes, those didn't bug me personally. They're definitely cheesy, but that's all part of the movie's tone--a crowd-pleasing testosterone fest. And I thought the racing scenes were great, so I liked the movie overall.

That aside, it did start to annoy when looking up the real-life details of all these "inspired by true events" movies after the fact, and finding out that everything was embellished so much. I get it, the writers are trying to make blockbusters, and they're going to exaggerate here and there. But after a string of these (Ford vs Ferrari, Molly's Game, Bridge of Spies, Death of Stalin), it started getting on my nerves. But that's a separate complaint. I can still enjoy the final results on their own, and set aside the fact that these aren't documentaries.
Molly's Game was great. I don't think the embellishment of a true story itself is what annoys me so much, but the extremely unbelievable way it's done in a movie like Ford V Ferrari bothers me.

I was pulled out the second a passenger on a private plane told a pilot to move over and let him fly. It's so incredibly absurd that I knew there was no fucking way it happened. So I look it up, and yep, it's just as dumb as I thought. But the movie had many other problems for me already and lots of scenes I couldn't suspend disbelief in already. It was just the last nail in the coffin.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Zombieland: Double-Tap over the past weekend.

Solid sequel, once again single handedly carried by Harrelson. Even moreso than the first. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking about the Madison character though. Was this supposed to be a good idea and funny? 7/10

JimiNutz

Banned
I watched a Spanish film called "The Platform" last night while incredibly high.

Interesting concept for a film. Inmates are housed in a vertical prison with hundreds of levels, two people on each level, with a platform that descends from the top level down to the bottom level each day.

The platform has abundant food when it begins its descent at the very first level and the inmates on each level have a set amount of time to eat their fill of food until the platform descends to the level below so that the inmates below can eat their leftovers. Obviously as the platform descends further there is less and less food remaining until it descends to the lower levels and there is no food at all (these levels are essentially hell). Once a month the remaining inmates are then mixed up again and find themselves on a different level of the prison (either higher or lower than their previous level).

The ending was a bit weak but overall it was very entertaining with some suitably disturbing imagery and interesting characters.

Anyone that enjoys getting baked while watching disturbing imagery mixed with thought provoking themes should enjoy it.

I'd probably give it a 8/10 if I had to provide a score.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
e8c5af9b7b372cf84f5483daa2b8a36a.gif

Re watched The Force Awakens

Such a damn fine movie. I couldn't imagine not enjoying this. Super fun, well polished, cinematography is pure kino, and the characters are all insanely charismatic.

Nerds be damned. Can't wait to watch Last Jedi again after this.

Give me the sequel trilogy over Marvel crap any day. I want another Star Wars movie. I love 'em all.

Zombieland: Double-Tap over the past weekend.

Solid sequel, once again single handedly carried by Harrelson. Even moreso than the first. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking about the Madison character though. Was this supposed to be a good idea and funny? 7/10

I liked Madison lol. "Look we're either doing this right now or I'm biting the bullet and doing it with the old guy" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
or when she goes up the Winnebago "You guys, I partied with Three Doors Down in one of these" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Plus Zoey Dutch is Lea Thompsons daughter so it's kinda hard for me to hate.

bender

What time is it?
The Zombieland sequel was okay. It felt mostly unnecessary. The original still has one of my favorite cameos ever. Too bad that was retconned.

Such a damn fine movie. I couldn't imagine not enjoying this. Super fun, well polished, cinematography is pure kino, and the characters are all insanely charismatic.

Give me the sequel trilogy over Marvel crap any day. I want another Star Wars movie. I love 'em all.

I'll give you the sequel trilogy if you figure out someone to take the Marvel crap. Otherwise I'm burning all to the ground.

Laieon

Some of my favorite films of the past few years are slow burning Korean movies like Burning and The Wailing. Star Wars (any of them, including the OG trilogy) is definitely not as well written as those or plenty of other movies, but I think they more than make up for it with just how fun they are. Star Wars has never been a series that I felt needs to be analyzed, picked at, and thought about for days or weeks after seeing it, because I've never felt like it was never a series that put the writing first. Instead they shine because they're beautiful, have a fantastic score, and some cool planets, spaceships, and creatures.

I might have a pretentious foreign film side of me, but I can absolutely enjoy these movies too. To me, they're amusement park rides. Strap in, turn your brain off, and enjoy what you're about to see. When I ride a roller coaster, I don't want think about the physics behind it, I just want to have fun, put my hands up, and scream on the way down. When Lando brings in the cavalry in Rise of Skywalker and that theme booms through the theater, I couldn't help but smile.

I love the MCU too, but the polish, score, and cinematography definitely don't come close to Star Wars.

It’s streaming on Tubi.

A priest can turn into a velociraptor and kills pimps and ninjas basically.

Still trying to figure out the ninjas part...

Anyway, It’s in no way meant to be taken as some deep film but I thought it was a totally fun watch.

Watch Miami Connection if you haven't seen it, I feel like it would be right up your alley.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Some of my favorite films of the past few years are slow burning Korean movies like Burning and The Wailing. Star Wars (any of them, including the OG trilogy) is definitely not as well written as those or plenty of other movies, but I think they more than make up for it with just how fun they are. Star Wars has never been a series that I felt needs to be analyzed, picked at, and thought about for days or weeks after seeing it, because I've never felt like it was never a series that put the writing first. Instead they shine because they're beautiful, have a fantastic score, and some cool planets, spaceships, and creatures.

I might have a pretentious foreign film side of me, but I can absolutely enjoy these movies too. To me, they're amusement park rides. Strap in, turn your brain off, and enjoy what you're about to see. When I ride a roller coaster, I don't want think about the physics behind it, I just want to have fun, put my hands up, and scream on the way down. When Lando brings in the cavalry in Rise of Skywalker and that theme booms through the theater, I couldn't help but smile.

I love the MCU too, but the polish, score, and cinematography definitely don't come close to Star Wars.

What a lot of people forget about Star Wars, was just how innovative it must've felt when it was initially introduced.

George Lucas fused Flash Gordon with Kurosawa and muppets. If that's not artistic supremacy, then I don't know what is. People seem to forget this is the same dude who gifted us with THX 1138 before he ever invited the world to explore the way of the Jedi.

George Lucas rules.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Candyman (1992) I give it a 5/10

I watched it for the first time a few days ago. I know it’s a classic but it wasn’t enough for me. Definitely twisted and gruesome and it dared to have little to no happy moments save maybe for one to two times at the end, but overall I felt like it was pretty middle of the road. I don’t know why though, even though it was mediocre for a watch in 2020, it was still definitely worth seeing once to me. I liked the theme of this film. I watched all the credits to hear it all the way through

Very twisted story, bleak film. I can see why it’s a classic. But it wasn’t as good as I was expecting

Might watch Django Unchained if it’s good. Never seen it, but I heard it’s good. If it was done by anybody other than Tarantino I probably wouldn’t care to give it a try

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Pearl Harbor yesterday.

Somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. For some reason I fucking loved this movie back when it released. Watched it 3 times in the cinema (still have all the tickets, keep them in my BR case lol). To my defense, back in 2001 the action in this movie was totally insane. The attack on Pearl Harbor itself was mindblowing. Today after all the Marvel CGI fests it's nothing special but back then... damn. That being said, the bad aging of the action is certainly also a reason why the movie itself aged horribly. Because if you take away the action and effects, it completely falls apart. The love triangle and dialog is so damn stupid it made my brain hurt - and the movie itself is at least 30 minutes too long. Also, it's kinda hard for me to take the US pathos seriously these days after everything I have witnessed in the past 20 years (sorry US bros but it is what it is).

I'd rate it a weak 7/10. It doesn't deserve that score but like I said, guilty pleasure and all.

Next up will be Pearl Harbor 2 (aka the new Midway :messenger_tears_of_joy: ).

sol_bad

Lady and the Tramp (2019) - Disney+
Finally watched this on Disney+, wife and I laughed and joked about the diversity of the cast. It was especially funny with it being a story set in 1955.
I wasn't a fan of them changing Jock to a female Scottish Terrier and Trusty's "old faithful" wasn't mentioned for the majority of the film.
The special effects were a bit strange. Sometimes it looked like real dogs were used and just the facial animation was off, but other times the dogs were doing things that dogs can't do and they looked real. I'm going to say that CG dogs were used 90% of the time and the facial animation just wasn't up to par.
The film was enjoyable overall.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I just watched the 4K77 rip of A New Hope.

Some nerds found a 35mm Technicolor print of OG Star Wars. warts and all, and restored it to 4k. Was gorgeous tbh. I've never quite seen the movie like that - they even included the original white balance for accurate color correction!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Born in 1991, I have to admit that I grew up with the Special Editions Lucas pushed out in theaters then. I still own my VHS set! I never even got around to watching the despecialized cuts so this was real treat for me. My 'Star Wars' is definitely 'Episode IV: A New Hope' and definitely featured corny ass singing CGI aliens.

It was nice seeing the movie be a little rough around the edges rather than the over-polished nature of modern Star Wars.
I'd also nearly tricked myself into feeling like this was my original viewing. It was fun watching this as if it had just come out in theaters, rather than acknowledging what the franchise would become.

Carrie Fisher is super hot. Like holy fuck. When they find her in that cell all sprawled out - meeeow. Also I love O.G. Vader. Just a devoted religious man in a suit. Obi Wan is just some crazy wizard. Han is a cornball.

This really was awesome. I kept thinking of Logan's Run for whatever reason. This movie absolutely deserved to become the international sensation it did. Loved seeing all the original effects work as well. Felt so pure.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
What a lot of people forget about Star Wars, was just how innovative it must've felt when it was initially introduced.

George Lucas fused Flash Gordon with Kurosawa and muppets. If that's not artistic supremacy, then I don't know what is. People seem to forget this is the same dude who gifted us with THX 1138 before he ever invited the world to explore the way of the Jedi.

George Lucas rules

In fairness I think a lot of people do recognise this and it's a main reason why people dislike the Disney films.

George was innovative and full of imagination. The Disney films have none of that. They just borrow old Lucas material, make it worse and offer nothing new.

The Force Awaken taken by itself is a fine sci-fi movie. An above average, relatively enjoyable 7/10 film. It just pales in comparison to the Star Wars that George created.

bitbydeath

Joker.

It was a bit slow but by the end felt like a good setup for more movies as it established the state of Gotham. They should really continue this universe to do it justice even if it remains standalone to the kid friendly films.

8/10

Arkam

Yojimbo - Getting prepared for Ghost of Tsushima by watching all my classic Samurai films. Yojimbo is still one of the best. It might have been filmed in the 1950s but it feel like a modern film. Kurosawa is god tier! Highly recommended to anyone who can handle subtitles (or speak japanese).... for you plebs, you can watch the Bruce Willis starring homage Last Man Standing which takes the story and makes it a mobster tale.

Phase

I watched "Mandy" last week. Pretty trippy film and there is very cool work with colors and music. Not to mention Nicolas Cage is really good in it.

UncleMeat

I just watched the Eddie Sutton documentary on espn titled "Eddie". I'm as biased as you could possibly be b/c I love Coach Sutton but if you're a college basketball fan I highly recommend.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Watched like 35 min of Django Unchained so far, there’s still another 2hrs 30 min or so left

So far I’m not enjoying it so much. The intro song was the best part so far. The rest is just kinda lame tbh. But I’m only 35 min in

Hopefully DiCaprio can turn this one around. Why is it so funny to see Jonah Hill no matter what film you watch lmao. This fool comes into roles looking exactly like a fucking jelly donut. every time

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
last movies i watched were

Jojo Rabbit - it was a good watch but wasn't all that funny. A couple times I laughed. 3.5/5

Portrait of A Lady On Fire - i loved it! such an amazing film. highly recommend it. it's in french but i don't mind subtitles. 5/5

Time Skip - found it interesting but could've been much better if it was a bit longer and actually built up to something 2/5

2036 Origin Unknown - what a load of waffle. 1/5

Watched like 35 min of Django Unchained so far, there’s still another 2hrs 30 min or so left

So far I’m not enjoying it so much. The intro song was the best part so far. The rest is just kinda lame tbh. But I’m only 35 min in

Hopefully DiCaprio can turn this one around. Why is it so funny to see Jonah Hill no matter what film you watch lmao. This fool comes into roles looking exactly like a fucking jelly donut. every time
I love that movie. With any Tarantino movie, despite how long they are, I just never want them to end.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Dagon

Been on a Lovecraft binge again. Started out with Dagon, a Spanish-American collaboration that despite its name, is based on Shadow over Innsmouth instead of Dagon. It's directed by Stuart Gordon, who has adapted several Lovecraft-stories to the big screen, including his biggest hit, Re-Animator, which debuted in 1985 (and was my first encounter with Lovecraftian horror as a young boy).

Dagon has multiple things going for it, but unfortunately it's dragged down by sub par acting and an overall cheapish feel (nothing wrong with low budget, but here it results in crappy CG-effects).

The good parts is Gordon's respect for the source material. It follows Shadows over Innsmouth closely, but it adds several elements that feels right at home with the Lovecraftian mythos, which among other things, includes the logo/emblem for The Esoteric Order of Dagon, the cult that worships a Deep One. This logo is actually used in the video game The Sinking City, which is based on pretty much every story by Lovecraft, and forms a big part of its narrative around EOD. That is pretty neat.

Dagon has a strong and spooky atmosphere, good makeup on the fish people in the village (the makeup team later won an Oscar for its makeup in Pan's Labyrinth) and some surprisingly solid gore effects. So far everything is good.

The downside is the acting. We're talking C-tier acting here and it's extremely off putting hearing these actors and actresses deliver the dialogue without any emotions at all. It's strange that Gordon directed all of the acting this weak considering he did a good job in Re-Animator and Castle Freak getting the campy tone of it pretty spot on. Most of it is attributed to Jeffrey Combs being a terrific actor but Gordon should have demanded better takes by his actors. Some scenes are just pure cringe.

Dagon is the weakest Lovecraft adaptation to date, but it is still a must see if you're a fan of his works. It packs enough goodies from the mythos to instill some sense of awe and it got lots of freaky gore and weirdness to hold you through to the end. This, combined with a cool story that draws inspiration from Lovecrafts most famous works, makes for a movie that earns its spot in the vast sea of other adapted works from this wonderful and strange horror author.

GodofWhimsy

The new Child's Play is pretty good I gotta say. I was entertained.

I don't think I'd call it horror but a remake that doesn't suck is pretty rare.

Not to disregard your opinion (all opinions are valid), but your post just reminded me of how much I enjoyed The Cult of Chucky. It's my personal favourite of the OG series. It has everything. Definitely recommend viewing for horror fans who enjoy movies that embrace the lunacy of the scenario (without just being fucking dumb IMO like Bride of Chucky or Seed of Chucky).

Top Bottom