• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

sol_bad

How in the fuck did John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum receive such high praise on Rotten Tomatoes both critic and audience is what I want to know

I only saw like 20 minutes of the middle. It was entertaining, but it wasn't good lol. There was so much action in the parts that I saw, that even the dogs got like 60 kills in that one compound / hideout lmao

That is an incredibly well choreographed action set piece. The timing of the dogs is magnificent.

Im honestly trying to watch them all. Last one I did was Killing Of A Sacred Deer. Pretty damn good.

Finishing up JR and Posty right now. then its on.

I'm also doing this, currently up to Mojave with Oscar Issac. The marathon has taken a back seat for now though as I can't access American Netflix on my PS3 or PS4 anymore. I need to wait until I get a Chrome or new TV. It's killing me.
:(

Last edited:
I've read that this leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I don't want to watch this if the ending is unsatisfying.
It's ambiguous as to why and how things happened, but you at least know what happened.

You could also try the Directors Cut, that supposedly spells everything out and removes most of the ambiguity, but I've been told by everyone I know that watched it that it's shite and far worse than the original.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The movie Room is unbelievably great. It's incredibly difficult to watch at times(not in a bad way), but it's so powerful and resonating. I don't care about the negative woke stigma attached to Brie Larson, she was great in that movie, and so was Tremblay.

It's honestly one of my favorite movies ever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Les Miserables, a 6 part miniseries (no singing) and starting McNulty from The Wire, has been good enough for me to watch all the way through. It's on Amazon Prime. Episodes 1,2,5, and 6 were pretty great.

timeflais

Banned
I've read that this leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I don't want to watch this if the ending is unsatisfying.
It's a movie that takes a few times, even from your basic perception of movie storytelling.
When you accept the gift of vision the entirety of the movie unlocks and offers soooo much.

TrainedRage

Banned
Watched 'Richard Jewell' last night. It was pretty good. I didn't know the story because I was only 10 when it happened but it was very interesting. Sam Rockwell was brilliant as Richards lawyer. Pretty shocking story. Not too much action and not super tense but well made and well acted.

manfestival

Anyone have any good sci fi space movies that are not the usually recommended movies that they can recommend that I watch for the weekend? I have watched a bunch but I feel like I am missing so many. So to give some direction(movies I have seen and loved), I mean variety like serenity, sunshine, gravity, interstellar and the new star treks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just watched Moonraker. Jaws has a love interest who is this short blonde with pigtails and they are together in a lot of scenes. Feel like she is almost a proto version of Harley Quinn. I mean:

richard-kiel-der-beisser-moonraker-james-bond.jpg

Anyone have any good sci fi space movies that are not the usually recommended movies that they can recommend that I watch for the weekend? I have watched a bunch but I feel like I am missing so many. So to give some direction(movies I have seen and loved), I mean variety like serenity, sunshine, gravity, interstellar and the new star treks.
Have you seen Dark Star? John Carpenter’s first movie. It’s low budget but really fun.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I watched Super 8 a bit ago

It took a long while for things to build, but luckily there was a very well conceived scene with plenty of chaos and confusion within the first 15-20 minutes of the film and from there the prospect of wondering what's going on was pretty great. There were a couple of times I was ready to pause it to play some games or something else during the middle portion but the two times I was thinking about it, the movie pulled me in and I was able to watch everything all at once. The beginning is good, the middle I would say requires some patience, and the ending was good

I decided to watch because some critics were praising J.J. Abrams well enough for me to give it a try at the very least

It sort of felt like an oldschool movie you could expect to be made in the 80s or 90s but that was only in how it felt, this film was released in 2011 and you can tell it's modern. I think the acting was actually the best part of this film; thought the cast did an excellent job. It takes about half the film, maybe 60% into the film for everything to take off and get really good. I didn't read into the plot before I watched, so I was kind of like damn, I didn't know this was going to be a movie where it centers around kids being the main protagonists but all those kids were great characters and played their roles well. Story was good enough too, kind of interesting. I liked this one because it was kind of large scale and you see it portrayed in that way several times. The entire city or maybe it was a town was affected and for the film all in all, things were tied together pretty good. It wasn't anything outstanding, or excellent, but this is a very good movie with some great moments. I'd recommend it probably more for a family or adults with kids. Could be a fun watch for adult too but I'm saying, this movie is something that would probably really impress kids 5+ in age

There were two moments in Super 8 that I was laughing at too, two very funny moments. They happened probably like 80% into the film though, but still, pretty funny stuff and it was nice to have it there and a part of the movie since I wasn't expecting anything like that at all. The humor was much appreciated

I'd probably give Super 8 a solid 8.2/10 it's a very good movie with flashes of greatness. Kind of exciting at times too. That one scene in the beginning was excellent, exhilarating. And at the end it sort of reminded me a bit of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, except in this film the events are localized to one town I think. I'd probably increase the rating and think a smaller bit higher of the film had I watched in theaters when it released in 2011, this is one of those movies where things are amplified when watching on the big screen some of the scenes showcased a lot of destruction and I personally think this movie is one that is basically a blockbuster caliber movie back when it was released although I never even knew about it until today, But it felt good enough to be considered a blockbuster film, I liked it

Kev Kev

Nearly twenty years and hollywood still hasn't made anything as magical. :messenger_loudly_crying:
QFT

starting to wonder if anything is going to top LOTR... like, ever. harry potter movies were huge of course, SW didnt do well, none of the the 5,000 different franchise reboots people have tried over the last 20 years have taken off. its like that type of movie magic is just gone now. marvel movies i guess came close? i dunno

I'm watching 'Da 5 bloods' on netflix.

It's black history month! Also white people are of course bad.
It's half movie half forced education.

Feels like we might have to go back to watching silent movies to run from the woke.

FYI the movie flashes back to 'nam all the time:
Quote from movie: "<he> Schooled us about drinking that anti-commie Kool-Aid they was selling."

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
The movie Room is unbelievably great. It's incredibly difficult to watch at times(not in a bad way), but it's so powerful and resonating. I don't care about the negative woke stigma attached to Brie Larson, she was great in that movie, and so was Tremblay.

It's honestly one of my favorite movies ever.
I think you mean THE ROOM by the revolutionary genius Tommy Wiseau. On a side note, the Raid 2.

based boomer
Yeah he is 84.

He's not into it. He hates all the Marvel movies except the first Iron Guy.

Then again he just recently saw Dunkirk and said it was a hot steaming pile of garbage. I dunno if it was actually Dunkirk but he said one of the first scenes was a guy taking a shit (?)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I made my dad watch Infinity War.

He said it's the biggest pile of shit he's ever seen.

I hate most comic book movies (shout out to Tank Girl), but Infinity War was alright simply because it was like 10-15 minute cameos of tons of different characters instead of a full runtime featuring just one or two.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've hit a movie wall. I've been watching almost a movie a night for a month now and I burned through all my summer movies. I do a thing where I only watch certain movies based on the seasons. Summer movies for me are usually movies that are in warm climates or epic movies like Gladiator, etc.

I tried to watch Portrait of a Lady on Fire 3 separate times and each time my mind drifts off after about 15 minutes.

It's this weird thing I have only been able to watch movies I've already seen lately. I've gotten through those just fine, but in the last few weeks I've tried to start a handful of movies I've never seen and haven't been able to get even 20 minutes in before I get restless and antsy. The ADD is real.

Still have a month left of summer or so and need to dig up some more summer movies. I could go for Kill Bill maybe that'll be my next movies.

Kev Kev

Yeah he is 84.

He's not into it. He hates all the Marvel movies except the first Iron Guy.
lmao "iron guy", thats exactly how an old pop pop would say that too

reminds me of a funny ad i heard one time that went like this...

kid: be quiet grandpa, you dont even know what gluten is
gpa: yes i do!
kid: no ya dont
gpa: i sure do... we fought the glutens back in 1946

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: i cant wait till im an old crazy pop pop, im gonna say the most awesome, weirdest shit

Last edited:

sol_bad

Peninsula - cinema

First time going back to a cinema in about 5 months and it felt so good. The chairs, the screen, the sound, it's good to be back. And the wife and I had the cinema to ourselves. HAH
Anyway, the film itself was just OK, no where near as good as Train to Busan unfortunately which made me a bit sad. I know it's a Korean film and sometimes they love their melodrama but this film took it too far and pulled me out of the immersion. Like, people are about to die or could die and there a slow-mo scenes of characters looking sad, it's like ..... get the fuck out of there and save yourself first, then mourn your losses.
The last half hour especially let me down. The scenario is great, essentially it's like a Mad Max post apocalyptic car chase but it's basically 100% CGI except for the close up shots of the characters. The physics of things were like an animated movie and not realistic. And then decisions that characters made and the way things played out in the last 10 minutes, bleh. Then there was this terrible English speaking actor at the very end that made me crack up laughing because she was so bad.

Yeah, I was a big fan of Train to Busan and Peninsula is a sad sequel.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Night Monster (1942)

Night-Monster.jpg

this was on Svengoolie last night and was pretty entertaining. it is kind of a Who Dunnit, with a bunch of people staying in a spooky mansion where the butler is played by Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and there is a hysterical lady who tries to kill herself and hires a quack therapist and eventually the guests start dropping like flies. at one point they have a Mentalist come in, and he makes a skeleton appear out of nowhere, it's a pretty cool scene. but in general the supernatural elements are kept to a minimum, it is more of a mystery movie. i enjoyed it. 7/10

NightMonster1949crop.png

Last edited:

betlbum2

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Special 10th anniversary edition.
Not going to try and explain it, just watch.

I watched Green Mile after 20 years so I didn't remember of it.

What a beautiful movie.

I cried for an hour after the ending.

The actors, the acting, the writing.... Everything so good.

Also this is how you do a movie about racism. It was clear but not shoved down your throat. You really care about Duncan's character. He is an angel. You want to hug him.

I also finally saw Solo: A Star Wars Story for the first time today.

Worst SW movie I've seen. I thought Rogue One was boring but Solo managed to be even more of a snorefest. I misses nothing not seeing this in theaters and it was the only SW movie I didn't.

Dodged a bullet.

I'm sorry for anyone who spent money to see Soros: A Star Wars Story in the cinema.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Saw High Fidelity again after a decade or so. I think I hate Iben Hjejle's performance as much as John Cusack's hair.

Arkam

Watched a not so good one.... UnderWorld. Saw it in 2003 and thought it was kinda cool. Watching in 2020 i want to travel back in time and slap that man. It has aged horribly. Far too much emphasis was put into the look and sound and appealing to The Matrix fans. Just like the Matrix, the overall story and lore is rather interesting. The characters and events in the films however are just a trainwreck in slow motion that breaks up the banal dialog and character development with action filled electronica music videos.

But since I muscled through I suppose I should rewatch the sequels too and finish the torture properly so I may atone for my sins.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Unhinged 2020

Very inspiring thinking about traffic across the United States it’s amazing day in and day out how much road rage there is, I had faith in the cast to carry out 1:30hr run time, you need to see this movie if you’re able to rent a theater out social distancing is necessary, we opened up theaters in Ohio so we can watch movies, it’s really not a complicated script and I think it’s a successful chase thriller.
5/5

Top Bottom