• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Queenofblood.jpg

Caught the last 30 mins of this incredible movie on tv the other day. Dennis Hopper is in it, it’s from Roger Coleman’s production company, but it’s actually a really good space thriller. Basically a early version of Alien. Really cool stuff with a dark ending. For sure I need to see the whole thing it was pretty ahead of it’s time.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i love the scene where they take over the body of Ted's dad and the other policeman and they are about to give a presentation in front of a bunch of cops. way funnier than the police station scene from the first movie imo.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Recently re-watched Highlander 2 after a few decades because my wife had never watched it. I cannot recommend watching it a first time.

Afterward we watch The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. It had its moments but wasn't overly great compared against early Gilliam stuff. He's never really topped his 80's stuff TBH.

Now we're binging through Buffy the Vampire Slayer because I don't know why. It's enjoyable brain floss before bed at least.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
3:10 to Yuma

Kind strange how Ben Wade fukkin killed his whole gang that rode 80 miles to free him. They didn't know he didn't want Christian Bale's character to get hurt. They all were POS, but still it seems fukked up to kill off ur loyal men. Liked the movie I guess, but that last part seems like BS.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Really liked it I love Godzilla! Wish I saw it in theatres.

Poor cute as$ Mothra!! :messenger_loudly_crying:

UncleMeat

I watched Jojo Rabbit last night; I thought it was really good. I watched Parasite last week and it didn't really live up to the hype. I think Jojo and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were better.

I watch Jojo again tonight when my brother came over.
Something I picked up on during my second watch was that I think Sam Rockwell and Alfie Allen were gay and that's why he helped Jojo and Elsa. Did anyone else notice this? I don't know, smart people probably picked up on that the first time. :)

Last edited:

Ionian

I watched Jojo Rabbit last night; I thought it was really good. I watched Parasite last week and it didn't really live up to the hype. I think Jojo and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were better.

I watch Jojo again tonight when my brother came over.
Something I picked up on during my second watch was that I think Sam Rockwell and Alfie Allen were gay and that's why he helped Jojo and Elsa. Did anyone else notice this? I don't know, smart people probably picked up on that the first time. :)

Loved Jojo and Parasite, not watched the other.

Jojo question, it's pretty much implied and the final scene still just hints.

UncleMeat

Loved Jojo and Parasite, not watched the other.

Jojo question, it's pretty much implied and the final scene still just hints.
Ya I thought Parasite was good but I guess I was expecting it to be different than what it was based on how people were hyping it up. I thought it was gonna go down a weird dark hole, or at least weirder, but it really was more about class. Still good.

Also you should watch OUATIH if you get a chance. Pitt and Leo are really funny in it; it's a fun movie.

Last edited:

Ionian

Ya I thought Parasite was good but I guess I was expecting it to be different than what it was based on how people were hyping it up. I thought it was gonna go down a weird dark hole, or at least weirder, but it really was more about class. Still good.

Also you should watch OUATIH if you get a chance. Pitt and Leo are really funny in it; it's a fun movie.

Ah nice, not seen that one yet.

I was told not to read anything about Parasite before watching (Think it was Mark Kermode's review). I watched it soon after so I had no expectations.

He was right as it clicked for me not knowing what to expect, Type of film it's very difficult to speak about without spoilers but is certainly worth a watch once.

OUAITH is already on my list haha ;)

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Alpha yesterday on Netflix.

Movie was alright I guess but only way too late I discovered that I just change to a propper snych from the prehistory mumbo jumbo. Some beatiful cinematography and imagine but man, the CGI crap is really getting out of hand. Do these film makers have no self respect at all any more? Why even bother using human actors when seemingly everything else is out of the computer? The CGI wolves looked cheap as fuck. Show a tiny little effort with real animals you lazy asses.

6/10

Fox Mulder

Watched Ford vs Ferrari. It was okay for a racing movie.

what an awful name though. Ferrari is barely in it and it’s more about fighting retarded executives at Ford.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Did a re-watch of Shattered Glass (2003) with my brother who's never seen it. Know as "one of the only good Hayden Christensen movies."

Still a fun watch. Decent cast for a smaller movie. Also, there's something about early 2000's movies that makes them refreshing. I like seeing the film grain and the display of Windows 98-era technology. There's something "pure" about the times before journalism entered the social media age.

I'd consider it a classic. Not mindblowing, but worth preserving.

Aion002

I just watched Alive, which is a Korean zombie movie and is basically the same movie that I watched last week: The Night Eats the World, a French zombie movie about a dude trying to survive in an apartment with zombies outside...

Both have many flaws... But I think that Alive is kinda good... At least better than the other.

I will watch tomorrow: I am a Hero...
That is a Japanese zombie movie about a normal dude trying to survive... Hopefully not in an apartment.... I gotta stop buying zombie movies...

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Jumanji: Next Level
It was alright but just covered a lot of the same ground as the first. They did setup for what could be an interesting third movie though.

Karate Kid III
The story was better than part 2 but the fights were lacking.

Birds of Prey - I don't know why people put this movie down. I thought it was a fun watch. The fight scenes were cheesy as hell, but I liked the disjointed storytelling from Harley's point of view.

Project Power - Netflix is on a roll with the action movies. Simple formula that I mentioned before. Get an A-list actor, some good supporting unknowns, and a decent premise. What you get is an enjoyable action flick. I hope they never stop making these.

The Way Back - I did not expect this movie to hit me in the feels like it did. Unlike past sports coaching movies, this one really focused on the coach and not the actual players and I appreciated that because it doesn't come across with the conceited notion that a basketball coach will solve all the problems of high school kids.

GloveSlap

Class Action Park, a documentary on HBO Max. It's about the famously dangerous 80s water park Action Park. I've been obsessed with this place since first hearing about it 10 years ago and it was great to see all the footage they found.

sol_bad

Project Power - Netflix
I watched this piece of shit stinker on Netflix, watch it in 2 sections which I never do for a film.Visually it looks very nice in terms of directing and colour work, it's a competently made film. The script however was beyond terrible and didn't work for me. Absolutely nothing makes sense, why would you want to take a pill that could potentially kill you instantly?

Plot spoiler
It boils down to the generic usual idea of the military/government testing their new weapon on the public before going in to mass production and the hero of the story is framed.

We've seen it all before.
Dominique Fishback's character feels pointless as her story doesn't go anywhere. Jamie Foxx could have just as easily got his info from a no name bad guy and the story would have been the same.

Now this is getting nit picky but at the end of the film there is a guarded locked fence that Jamie Foxx needs to get passed, through trickery he does so. But then the very next minute Domique Fishback's character sneaks through the gate because the bad guys have now decided to keep it open and unguarded. What's with that? Then she conveniently jumps in a car that gets loaded on the ship she needed to get on. Did I miss something? How did she know they were loading cars on to the ship?''

And finally they give away the daughters powers too easily so I knew exactly what was going to happen at the end.

What a rant, it was terrible.

Last edited:

mango drank

Inside Man (2006, Netflix): 3/10 (n)
Awful. The acting was awkward, amateurish, cheesy. I've never seen Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster give such bad performances. Every time Foster delivered her lines, it looked like she was having a seizure. The script was terrible, the dialogue was embarrassing, the plot was a mess. Did Spike Lee have some random fever dream and decide turn it into a movie? Are all his movies this bad?

The Town (2010, Netflix): 7/10 (y)
Was all right. Way better than Inside Man, but that's not saying much. I had a rough idea of where the plot was going to go after the first 15 minutes. Felt like a weird mix of far-fetched and yet also somehow flat and by-the-numbers? Some good set pieces and action scenes. OK overall.

Snowpiercer (2013, Netflix): 8/10 (y)
Pretty good. Audacious and weird.

Last edited:

sol_bad

New Mutants - Cinema

It was fine, nothing amazing but not terrible, I was entertained. Extremely predictable plot though and the characters were paper thin, they were also very stereotypical.

Cannonball and Sunspot barely get to show off their powers, maybe budget constraints? Cannonbal fully shows his power during a none action scene. Very annoying.

Not scary because they didn't fully commit to the horror element.

BIRDS OF PREY: something something Harley Quinn (2020) - Oof. The first 1/3rd was some of the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I was really about ready to turn it off, but I actually thought "No, I need to push through so I can review this for the 118th". Thankfully, it got better. Some kind of weird sequel to Suicide Squad (and maybe other DC movies), there is never really anything at stake here.. it just kind of happens. Harley Quinn is... sort of likable? I don't even know anymore. This DC universe is really like a cartoon/comic come to life, there is none of the realism that made the MCU so great. The comedy kind of landed, the action was decent, story.. eh? It was written and directed by women, and I guess I'd say it feels different because of that maybe. Somehow they mostly made Margo Robbie unattractive, which is a hell of a feat. If I was rating the first 1/3rd it'd be like 3.9/10. After all was said and done, I was okay entertained. 6.1/10 (which matches the IMDB rating exactly dontchaknow). Rotten tomato gives it a 78% which I feel is way too lenient.

Fun fact.. Jussie Smollet's sister is in this!

BIRDS OF PREY: something something Harley Quinn (2020) - Oof. The first 1/3rd was some of the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I was really about ready to turn it off, but I actually thought "No, I need to push through so I can review this for the 118th". Thankfully, it got better. Some kind of weird sequel to Suicide Squad (and maybe other DC movies), there is never really anything at stake here.. it just kind of happens. Harley Quinn is... sort of likable? I don't even know anymore. This DC universe is really like a cartoon/comic come to life, there is none of the realism that made the MCU so great. The comedy kind of landed, the action was decent, story.. eh? It was written and directed by women, and I guess I'd say it feels different because of that maybe. Somehow they mostly made Margo Robbie unattractive, which is a hell of a feat. If I was rating the first 1/3rd it'd be like 3.9/10. After all was said and done, I was okay entertained. 6.1/10 (which matches the IMDB rating exactly dontchaknow). Rotten tomato gives it a 78% which I feel is way too lenient.

Fun fact.. Jussie Smollet's sister is in this!

And she's a fucking smoke show.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Enders Game on Netflix yesterday.

What a pleasant surprise this flix was. Really enjoyed it. Mind you, I do not know the books so I went into it blind. Cool characters and premise. And it was nice to see Ford actually care for a role he plays. Shame the movie bombed. Would have loved to see how it goes on. Might dip into the book series because I really enjoyed the world. Only thing holding me back a bit is the sheer size of this. It's like 10+ books in the series... Damn...

8/10

bitbydeath

Knives Out
8/10
Great whodunnit, probably just a one time only movie though since the action is a bit thin.

Edit: Actually 8/10 is too high. The writing is enjoyable but the majority of the cast serve no purpose other than to be wallpaper.

Last edited:

mango drank

(y)

Maybe I'll watch Snowpiercer one of these days.

Humans' pattern-finding tendency is hilarious. Great video. I think there are definite links between the two, even if the Snowpiercer makers used Willy Wonka only for inspiration, not so much as a prequel. Also, you've pretty much already seen Snowpiercer if watch that video.

nkarafo

Talk about different tastes!

I absolutely hated Jojo and Once Upon a Time but i loved Parasite.

KielCasto

Peninsula spent too much time on car scenes and less on character development for my taste. It’s a very different movie from Train to Busan but still fine if you don’t think too much about it and just go with the flow.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watched the original The Blob last night. Classic stuff. Has a lot of early sci fi tropes I kept seeing. Like the main guy Steve has a friend who is the school scientist. Kind of like BTTF. The gang of kids who follow him around town. And later when they are sneaking out of the house and her little brother catches her, feel like these things really ended up in a million movies and tv shows.

The very end felt like Ghostbusters 2 was a huge rip off of it, with the blob taking over the diner and all the guys on the outside fighting back.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Mulan 1998 - Blu Ray

So much better than the new movie.
The whole message of the film is way better than the current one. Mulan worked her arse off in this film to accomplish what she needed to accomplish. In the new one she just hides her Chi, or hides how awesome she already is. In terms of inspiring young girls, I get it, the new movie is inspiring them to be the best that they can be and not to let anyone stomp on them and crush their dreams. I just like how it is done in the original.
As for everyone cursing the new film for not having Mushu, he doesn't really add a lot to the film except for some humour which mostly fails these days. The romance change was really weird too.

As for the music, much better in the original, it has presence and really heightens the action scenes.
I'd happily watch the original again but can't see myself watching the new one again. It's not as bad as Lion King or Dumbo but there is no re-watch value for me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Lock Up yesterday.

Well, it's an 80s Stallone flick. You've seen one, you've seen em all. But to me this is one of the weaker ones from Stallone. The soundtrack though.... :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: What were they thinking?

6/10

MaestroMike

Gold Member
New Mutants - Cinema

It was fine, nothing amazing but not terrible, I was entertained. Extremely predictable plot though and the characters were paper thin, they were also very stereotypical.

Cannonball and Sunspot barely get to show off their powers, maybe budget constraints? Cannonbal fully shows his power during a none action scene. Very annoying.

Not scary because they didn't fully commit to the horror element.

how was the girl from split in it? anya taylor joy

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watching the very first Godzilla right now and it’s really really good. Only ever seen the American re release.

Scientist Serizawa was my favorite character, and the drama around him was incredible. I bet Kojima based his own Metal Gear Solid scientist heavily on this guy, who even gives an anti-nuclear weapons speech at one point. He has created his own "weapon of mass destruction" and realizes that it has turned himself into a dangerous weapon. There is this intense scene where he reveals his Oxygen Destroyer, and there is a lot of struggle over whether to use it. He argues that if they use it, there will be no going back, and that every government in the world will want one. They tell him "just burn your research and use it once!" and he says "It is in my head" meaning the knowledge of how to make the WMD is something he will always carry with him, which he can be coaxed into using, either himself, or tortured into it by the aformentioned powers. This foreshadows the end of the movie and is very poignant. He does not want this WMD he has created to "fall into the wrong hands", yet his friends are pleading for him to help save so many lives. It's a devastating scene.

The movie was really great. Very good use of light and shadow, Godzilla is very often in the dark, framed by city lights and destroyed skylines, and it looks more realistic that way. Film has a TON of hear in it! <3

Last edited:
Passengers.

I keep wondering how this movie got made. The production values are surprisingly good. The sets look great.

How a sci-fi, space love story between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence got greenlit is beyond me lol. I kept thinking while watching it (who is this movie aimed for?)

Women don't seem to care for it much due to thinking it's a sci-fi movie for men and men think it's a love story movie for women.

teezzy

Banned
71VCYZ7SLQL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Witness - 1985

I've wanted to watch this for the longest time, and finally sat down and just let myself take it all in.

The Amish are always intriguing on screen, and definitely helped lend a heap of originality to the movie's general concept. Great acting all around, Ford is always awesome. I can't think of one instance where he isn't in all honesty.

Good stuff.

8/10 sounds about right. This is a bit of a cult classic, I think?

teezzy

Banned
3126896-1599267905.jpg

4/10

Stylish with a strong cast, but man was not a single character likeable or compelling.

Try and make a indie comedy-drama thing about mental illness... and boy, you better ensure the characters are worth rooting for.

Boring as sin.

Grinchy

Banned
Passengers.

I keep wondering how this movie got made. The production values are surprisingly good. The sets look great.

How a sci-fi, space love story between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence got greenlit is beyond me lol. I kept thinking while watching it (who is this movie aimed for?)

Women don't seem to care for it much due to thinking it's a sci-fi movie for men and men think it's a love story movie for women.
Yeah it seemed like a tough one to market, but I was surprised to have really enjoyed it. I don't really go for chick flicks, and I don't usually like Jennifer Lawrence at all. Though, ironically, the only other time I liked her was in Silver Linings Playbook, which is another chick flick.

Maybe I'm a secret Jennifer Lawrence chick flick lover.

Passengers.

I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed it. Nothing amazing or anything, but we all saw it in theaters and walked out like "okay".

Top Bottom