• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

mango drank

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020, Netflix US) ???/10
Lynchian. Like a weird pot trip: starts off tame, then you start feeling off, then things go sideways. I happened to watch the weirder parts while under the side effects of a med, and said parts hit me in a way they probably wouldn't have if I'd been clear-headed. I don't know how to rate this, because it feels like rating a slow-motion nightmare I had last night.

Recommended to fans of Charlie Kaufman, or Lynch, or fans of slow downer arthouse movies, or anyone who wants to get high on drugs beforehand and then simulate having a mental breakdown. It's an interesting artifact at the very least, with tons of details to sift through.

Nymphae

Banned
I've never seen a "Lynchian" film that was anything even close to the level of David Lynch's work. I find it a bit sad actually, I'll watch his entire catalogue and be like fuck man I wish other people made movies like this guy. I hope he knocks out another one before his departure.

mango drank

I've never seen a "Lynchian" film that was anything even close to the level of David Lynch's work. I find it a bit sad actually, I'll watch his entire catalogue and be like fuck man I wish other people made movies like this guy. I hope he knocks out another one before his departure.
True. Could be because any director worth his salt and of some repute wouldn't want to be seen as ripping off another director's style wholesale. At most, a director will pay homage to another director, mix the other director's style in with their own. Which will then get them feedback like "This has Lynchian vibes, I dig it." Instead of "... wait, did you seriously just rip off Lynch? So you're a total hack now?"

That doesn't answer the question of whether anyone can imitate Lynch. Maybe no one but Lynch can.

bender

What time is it?
Not a movie (apologize if there is a more appropriate thread) but I just wrapped up re-watching the Sopranos. The last few seasons seem really aimless and each episode seems divorced from one another. It's a shame too, since a lot of the introduced New York crew give great performances (Phil in particular).

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020, Netflix US) ???/10
Lynchian. Like a weird pot trip: starts off tame, then you start feeling off, then things go sideways. I happened to watch the weirder parts while under the side effects of a med, and said parts hit me in a way they probably wouldn't have if I'd been clear-headed. I don't know how to rate this, because it feels like rating a slow-motion nightmare I had last night.

Recommended to fans of Charlie Kaufman, or Lynch, or fans of slow downer arthouse movies, or anyone who wants to get high on drugs beforehand and then simulate having a mental breakdown. It's an interesting artifact at the very least, with tons of details to sift through.
That movie was a total waste of my time.

I watched La Famille Bélier recently. It’s a French film and is nothing too deep but it is very wholesome and heartwarming.

Grinchy

Banned
Not a movie (apologize if there is a more appropriate thread) but I just wrapped up re-watching the Sopranos. The last few seasons seem really aimless and each episode seems divorced from one another. It's a shame too, since a lot of the introduced New York crew give great performances (Phil in particular).
Yep, it was definitely a victim of being one of those early great TV dramas where the people in charge and the suits at HBO didn't understand the value of knowing when to end it. Too many episodes got ordered and they had to stretch it out way too thin.

And man, that show really made me hate extended dream sequences in shows. I can't stand when any show does it now.

bender

What time is it?
Yep, it was definitely a victim of being one of those early great TV dramas where the people in charge and the suits at HBO didn't understand the value of knowing when to end it. Too many episodes got ordered and they had to stretch it out way too thin.

And man, that show really made me hate extended dream sequences in shows. I can't stand when any show does it now.

They went back to the well on the dream sequences one or two many times.

Also, AJ fucking sucks. I usually have a hard time divorcing "that's what the script calls for" versus "the actor sucks" but I can't stand him and the focus on him in later seasons is draining.

brap

Banned
They went back to the well on the dream sequences one or two many times.

Also, AJ fucking sucks. I usually have a hard time divorcing "that's what the script calls for" versus "the actor sucks" but I can't stand him and the focus on him in later seasons is draining.
That pool scene made me hate him forever

bitbydeath

Babysitter: Killer Queen
Fantastic movie, had a few slowdowns and an out of place fight scene that went a bit too weird but otherwise it was really fun movie to watch and the humour is on par with the first.

Easy 8/10.

sol_bad

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - Stan
Still a decent flick after all these years, many of the jokes still land for me, probably more so now than they did when I was a kid.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - Stan
The sequel is absolutely ridiculous and quite childish in many ways. No where near as good as the first. Challenging Death to a best of 3 competition is certainly a highlight though.

Will be seeing the 3rd at the cinemas over the weekend.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I loved Parasite and finally got round to watching Oldboy, both absolutely wonderful films, I'm just wondering if anyone well-versed in Korean cinema could point me in the direction of some more Korean goodness?

sol_bad

So I loved Parasite and finally got round to watching Oldboy, both absolutely wonderful films, I'm just wondering if anyone well-versed in Korean cinema could point me in the direction of some more Korean goodness?

From the same director as Oldboy you have The Handmaiden, Thirst, Sympathy of Vengeance and Lady Vengeance.

From the director of of Parasite you have The Host, Okja, Memories of Murder and Mother.

Train to Busaan is a great zombie flick, one of the best.

Tale of Two Sisters is a good psychological horror flick.

I enjoyed The Housemaid.

I've also heard that I Saw the Devil is good but I haven't seen it yet.

*EDIT*
How could I forget The Wailing!

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Check out
The wailing
Train to busan
I saw the devil
From the same director as Oldboy you have The Handmaiden, Thirst, Sympathy of Vengeance and Lady Vengeance.

From the director of of Parasite you have The Host, Okja, Memories of Murder and Mother.

Train to Busaan is a great zombie flick, one of the best.

Tale of Two Sisters is a good psychological horror flick.

I enjoyed The Housemaid.

I've also heard that I Saw the Devil is good but I haven't seen it yet.

*EDIT*
How could I forget The Wailing!

Thank you gentlemen - I'll go hunt these down and see what's what. I've rather fallen out with modern Western cinema tbh - been really enjoying 30s to 70s and having some nice 80s nostalgia hits but really from 90s onwards the quality dips markedly and the 2010s are a trashfire. Korea might just be my saviour.

MrS

Banned
Finally got around to The Lighthouse as I saw it was on offer for £1.99 this weekend on Prime. Willem is a beast.

Thank you gentlemen - I'll go hunt these down and see what's what. I've rather fallen out with modern Western cinema tbh - been really enjoying 30s to 70s and having some nice 80s nostalgia hits but really from 90s onwards the quality dips markedly and the 2010s are a trashfire. Korea might just be my saviour.
Don't sleep on A Bittersweet Life. Excellent film.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The_Treasure_of_the_Sierra_Madre_%281947_poster%29.jpg

Made in 1948. Kind of reminds me of some of those old Star Trek episodes. Really fun if you can get past it's age.

sol_bad

Bill and Ted Face the Music - cinema

I honestly think I liked this more than the original but I'm not 100% sure, they are very close together. It's certainly better than the 2nd film which was just dumb in many scenes. It was nice seeing Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter on screen again. You do see George Carlin on screen for 2 seconds as well, I think it was a CG rendering of him, made me feel sad seeing him.
I wish we knew what this film made on VOD, I wonder if it made it's budget and advertising costs back.

Alive - Netflix
Korean zombie movie, it was just OK nothing special, not much to say.It's about a guy and a woman stuck in their apartments in 2 separate buildings across from each other and they help each other to survive.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Just finished watching #Alive.
Korean zombie movie.
Wasn't great. Middling. Suspense didn't feel as high as I think they shot for.
Main character was funny in a goofball way. I smiled and chuckled when I was supposed to.
6.5/10

Caught Bladerunner 2049 on tv before that.
Great movie imo. Might be slow and long for some, but Bladerunner is probably my favorite movie of all time (if I had to choose a favourite)
2049 is beautiful to look at, I enjoy the scenes, dialogue and stoic main character 'K'
9/10

Bombolone

Gold Member
RedLine
An anime from the same director as one the anime shorts from 'The Animatrix'
A movie about some futuristic racing.
I watched with some headphones on.
I recommend a nice sound system or headphones.
Bomb music and visuals. Does what it needs to do.
7/10

Jin-Roh:The Wolf Brigade
I am forever in love with 2d animation. Will always trump 3d. Especially anime from the 80s/90s.
First time watching it today, missed it back when it was released in 1999.

If you like anime in the same vein as Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll, Angel Cop... you should check this one out. Realistic proportions for characters, no big eye weeb, cutsie stuff.
Don't want to give anything away. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The tone, art, music, acting.
After the credits I sat with it a bit.

9/10 (a 10/10 movie for me, hit the right notes)

Last edited:
Avoid "Ava", crap what was I thinking. Misses fell asleep and I fast forwarded like 35% of the movie. So many actors and actresses I like but just not a good movie and really lacked the suspension of disbelief.

MV5BZjA0MTM4MTQtNzY5MC00NzY3LWI1ZTgtYzcxMjkyMzU4MDZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYyMDk5MTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

American History X (1998)
It had been a long time since I last watched this. I don't think there's much to say about this that anyone doesn't already know. Since his debut in Primal Fear, to this and Fight Club and his undeniable talent, it's a great shame that Edward Norton's career has not made good on its initial momentum. That said, everyone acts their socks off in this movie. Not a dud performance in sight.

Given the current social and political climate of 2020, this was a timely watch and it did me good to look at the views expressed by Derek Vinyard at different stages of his life and see how I felt about them, his actions, his redemption - and his penance.

MV5BNGQ3Y2VjNmUtMDdiMC00YTE1LWI5NmUtZDIzMTJmODQyNDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Good Time (2017)
Recommended by others in this thread, it has echoes of 2019's Uncut Gems (Adam Sandler) with a plot that starts off with characters making bad decisions and a feeling that events are constantly about to overtake them. I found it compelling viewing in that I really had no idea what was coming next and the way Robert Pattinson's character would deal with them was morbidly compelling. Hardly a feelgood movie, but a pretty solid way to spend a couple of hours.

Tesseract

Banned
Hasn't happened yet, but just booked my IMAX ticket for 1988s Akira 4K Remaster.

Showing this Thursday. Covid really fucked with attendance availability. Not the greatest seat but still in there. Fuck covid.

220px-AKIRA_%281988_poster%29.jpg
oh fuck yeah thanks for the info, i'm going

Last edited:
Queen and Slim - Eh. Black couple shoots and kills white officer while pulled over, goes on the run. Too much political messaging in this shit to be enjoyable. A shame because it has a talented cast.

7500 - This was good for the first hour. About a hijacking of an airplane. Takes place entirely inside the cockpit. Ran a bit too long, but it’s good to see Joseph Gordon Levitt acting again.

21 Bridges - Probably the last Chadwick Boseman movie I’ll see. About a drug theft gone wrong with corrupt cops and shit. I enjoyed it. It served as a reminder of Boseman’s talent and how he left us too soon.

Terminator: Dark Fate - I love terminator movies and it was cool to see the old cast back in it. I wish they would set one depicting the future and how humans win the war against machines.

1917: Really liked it.

Amazing production values, cinematography. There's one long take in particular where the two main characters are traversing a crater and I'm thinking "how the fuck did they shoot that?"

I loved that they cast relative unknowns for the main roles and the actor that played Schoffield did a great job.

There's some Hollywood moments that don't make much sense, like when Schoffield is in the village. Did he run out of ammo or something?

It also feels like there was quite a bit of material left on the cutting room floor, I would love to see the directors cut.

edit: For example I didn't get
Schoffield looking at the picture at the end when he said he didn't want to go back home. It sounded like he was implying he came from a bad home but he didn't. So was he just afraid of what he had turned into?
I think some info about Schoffields family was edited out.

Last edited:
Need to see 1917 again.
There was a Sam and Frodo deliver the ring to Mt Doom sort of 'quest' feel to the narrative, and the otherworldly Deakins cinematography... fucken' sublime.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So yesterday my wife was looking around the Plex server and came across a brilliant film that I’ve not watched in years - one I utterly adore. It turned out it was an adaptation of a book she loved as a kid.

I’d caught it half way through on TV when I was a kid and absolutely loved it but had no idea what it was - I finally found it about 7 or 8 years ago and was honestly delighted to find it. I didn’t think my wife would want to watch it though with it being a bit weird, so I didn’t bother suggesting it for our weekend film.

Anyway with the revelation that it was go, we watched it tonight and it’s just as wonderful and weird as I remember.

Paperhouse (1988)

Paperhouse.jpg

sol_bad

The Firm - Netflix

Pretty good film with Tom Cruise but nothing amazing. I don't really want to say too much in case anyone wants to see it blind but it's about Tom Cruises character joining a law firm and little by little things don't seem right about them. It's amazing how diverse his roles were when he was younger and now as he gets older and older he's an action film extravaganza.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PSA

Tombstone isn't a great Western.

There's a handful of great lines ("Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens") etc, Val Kilmers great as Doc Holiday but the movie overall is so generic 90s it'll make your head spin.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

UncleMeat

I rewatched The Great Outdoors yesterday. John Candy is so funny and likeable and then you get Aykroyd sleazing it up; definite 80's classic.

SpiceRacz

So yesterday my wife was looking around the Plex server and came across a brilliant film that I’ve not watched in years - one I utterly adore. It turned out it was an adaptation of a book she loved as a kid.

I’d caught it half way through on TV when I was a kid and absolutely loved it but had no idea what it was - I finally found it about 7 or 8 years ago and was honestly delighted to find it. I didn’t think my wife would want to watch it though with it being a bit weird, so I didn’t bother suggesting it for our weekend film.

Anyway with the revelation that it was go, we watched it tonight and it’s just as wonderful and weird as I remember.

Paperhouse (1988)

Paperhouse.jpg

Found this recently on an "underrated horror films" list. Going to give it a go here soon.

Top Bottom