• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Lost Bullet - lean and mean French Netflix original made by stunt guys. It's sort of like Jack Reacher mixed with The Raid 2. Brutal action, cool twists, doesn't try to outsmart you or pretend it's anything but an excuse for thrills.

Last edited:
A Simple Favor was pretty enthralling. Lively was particularly bad ass.

What was the highlight you ask? Why it was a 10 second - blink and you'll miss it - cameo by Jeffrey Spender of X-Files fame!

Arkam

Leaving Las Vegas - just watched for the first time. A film I was not expecting. Had always heard it referenced in positive light but for a dozen reasons never watched. Was great. Very powerful stuff with the main characters being varying degrees of fucked up. Watching Nicholas Cage drink like that was impressive on the liquid consumption, long before you consider the alcohol content. But to me, Elizabeth Shue steals the film. Her empathy and care for Cage is pure gold. Highly recommend with the earning of fairly graphic content.

Nymphae

Banned
Enola Holmes yo that shit was tight as fuck. Cavill as Sherlock > all

While searching for her missing mother, intrepid teen Enola Holmes uses her sleuthing skills to outsmart big brother Sherlock and help a runaway lord.

I'm so tired of that trope. Secret queen astounds adult misogynists with her brilliance.

1081.gif

Just watched Enola Holmes. Didn't realize it was the girl from strange things.
It's a little bit woke. There's a dialogue that it's pretty much "you're a fucking white male".
I believe it's based in a series of books for teen girls? Then it makes sense. It's just ok.
But Millie Bobby Brown was adorable. And it's always nice seeing Cavill.

Leaving Las Vegas - just watched for the first time. A film I was not expecting. Had always heard it referenced in positive light but for a dozen reasons never watched. Was great. Very powerful stuff with the main characters being varying degrees of fucked up. Watching Nicholas Cage drink like that was impressive on the liquid consumption, long before you consider the alcohol content. But to me, Elizabeth Shue steals the film. Her empathy and care for Cage is pure gold. Highly recommend with the earning of fairly graphic content.

The scene where Shue is pouring Vodka over tits and Nic Cage is sucking it off.

2dd.jpg

Arkam

The scene where Shue is pouring Vodka over tits and Nic Cage is sucking it off.

2dd.jpg
Indeed!!!! Was pretty much amazing. But it was a dark liquor and I feel like it was foreshadowed with a dream by Cage who I feel specified it as Bourbon or Whisky... but I cannot remember for sure.... Since I too was drinking heavily while watching. Fantastically dark masterpiece.

New Movie viewing: True Grit (1969) Had seen the 2010 remake first around the time it released and enjoyed it immensely. Finally saw the original. The girl is 100x better in this version. She actually carries a few of the scenes (over John wayne) where the remake girl felt so much more helpless. If I saw them in reverse order I don think I would have enjoyed teh 2010 version as much. Too much focus on Rooster and not enough on the girl who needs a man with True Grit. Not The best John Wayne, but a damn fine film.

Last edited:
Indeed!!!! Was pretty much amazing. But it was a dark liquor and I feel like it was foreshadowed with a dream by Cage who I feel specified it as Bourbon or Whisky... but I cannot remember for sure.... Since I too was drinking heavily while watching. Fantastically dark masterpiece.

New Movie viewing: True Grit (1969) Had seen the 2010 remake first around the time it released and enjoyed it immensely. Finally saw the original. The girl is 100x better in this version. She actually carries a few of the scenes (over John wayne) where the remake girl felt so much more helpless. If I saw them in reverse order I don think I would have enjoyed teh 2010 version as much. Too much focus on Rooster and not enough on the girl who needs a man with True Grit. Not The best John Wayne, but a damn fine film.

Post 2010 mothballs in his mouth western Jeff Bridges is too much for me. He did it in True Grit and did the same thing Hell or Highwater.

Which is weird because he talked normal in Tron Legacy.

MV5BMDJiNzUwYzEtNmQ2Yy00NWE4LWEwNzctM2M0MjE0OGUxZTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Extraction (2020)
A solid enough 1-man-army type flick from Netflix. Everything you need to know is established in the first 15 minutes. The remainder is just getting from point-A to point-B stuff. That's not really a criticism as there's many times I enjoy a largely brainless testosterone-fest with some square jaws and hard gazes.

I would say this is worth watching for an absolutely blistering action sequence, presented as a single-cut that kicks in around 30 mins into the movie. Hemsworth tells his charge to get into the car and the next 10-15 mins are utterly bombastic.

Davey Cakes

Knives Out.

Finished it on Amazon Prime last night. I was mostly in it for the cast, the aesthetics of Harlan's house, and the cinematography. Very entertaining on that front.

As for the overall mystery and intrigue elements, I'm actually surprised at how much I predicted or semi-predicted as I was watching. Nothing played out exactly as I expected, but I easily caught onto some of the red flags and knew what to be suspicious about. Then again, I understand it's not a traditional whodunit.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Just watched Antebellum. Complete and utter ass. Saw reviews that said it missed the mark etc, but thought it still looked interesting.

Nope, it really is that terrible. I'm sure at some point they all thought they were creating a movie that would speak of the horrors of Americas history with slavery and make a statement about where it stands today but instead all they delivered was 2 hours of boredom that goes absolutely nowhere.

Pretty sure Ree members probably think thats literally what its like in the South tho.

teezzy

Banned
o7l2a4KSto1HXIf7DxvRcPVn2sMRvl_large.jpg

I really dig Days of Heaven

Very few movies are able to soothe and unnerve you at the same time quite like this

Cienmatography is just breathtaking. I often feel the need to shower after watching this. Like Cries and Whispers or something lol

9/10

teezzy

Banned
18998.jpg

I don't typically dig Jarmusch.

I'm not afraid to say that he may be growing on me. This is my second watch of Broken Flowers.

Maybe I just like older Bill Murray that much. Was totally in the mood for this

teezzy

Banned
I'm still thinking about Broken Flowers
That fucked my shit up fam
I definitely didnt "get it" when I was younger
It's all about acknowledging the present
And how people change over time
Feels so obvious now
Back when I was 14 I totally took this ar face value
Like Brown Bunny except with Bill Murray instead of a cool blowjob scene
Weird how as I've gotten older, I can understand the movie more
Ironic almost, considering the overall theme
Yeah that was awesome

bitbydeath

Happy Death Day 2 U
Not as good as the first.
Wish it continued with Ryans view instead of going back to Tree it was kind of just more of the same in the end.

Birds of Prey
It was surprisingly decent. I had low expectations but it wasn’t half bad. Worth a watch.

teezzy

Banned
28091955_1280x800.jpg

Solid stuff.

I'm partial to curmudgeonly old man with a heart of gold flicks. Even got a little choked up near the end there, which never happens to me. Maybe I'm in a type of mood.

Arkam

Fritz the Cat - Only thing I knew going in was that it was filled with "nudity", sex and drug use. Having seen Wizards and Fire & Ice I thought I knew what to expect. I was not expecting this one. While there is most definitely a lot of anthropomorphized animals doing drugs and screwing, they are just props in a surprisingly deep satire on the 1960s in America. Many of the topics are just as relevant today. I would recommend this one, but I know most would not be able to make past the first orgy, let alone the "girl" being beaten by Nazis.

Bonnie & Clyde (1967) - Very cool take on the crime spree of Bonnie and Clyde. The title characters were wonderfully portrayed by Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Though Gene Hackman as Clyde's brother was able to steal a few scenes. Also a nice Gene Wilder cameo as the undertaker. Most of the shoot out and bank robbery scenes are well done.

Grinchy

Banned
28091955_1280x800.jpg

Solid stuff.

I'm partial to curmudgeonly old man with a heart of gold flicks. Even got a little choked up near the end there, which never happens to me. Maybe I'm in a type of mood.
This is the movie that makes it such a shame that someone told Melissa McCarthy she was funny at some point.

Her "comedy" movies are so pathetic, but then she's great in a more dramatic role.

teezzy

Banned
Napoleon-Dynamite-Poster-napoleon-dynamite-40740045-1125-1328.jpg

I feel like Napoleon Dynamite isn't quite appreciated for just how awesome it is. Absolute magic in a bottle.
The movie contains one gut busting scene after the next. The humor, while such a huge part of our cultural zeitgeist now, is so potent in its sheen of awkward irony well before many other 'quirky' indies would follow in its foot steps. Nearly all the props and costumes are straight out of a thrift store, long before it was 'hip' to do so.
What a shame that Jared Hess was never able to match what him and his cast/crew managed to accomplish here afterwards. Dude was a real pioneer. Same goes for Jon Heder, that dude will forever be Napoleon.
Napoleon Dynamite sorta came outta nowhere and is so often quoted that it's a staple of its time. Few things scream mid aughts quite like a 'Vote for Pedro' tee.

Arkam

The Life and Times I’d Judge Roy Bean - A solid western with Paul Newman in the leading role. Judge Roy Bean was one hell of an individual who lived a crazy life. Film does a great job capturing his journey and properly glorifying his folK legend status.

Actually visited Langtry a couple years back and dropped by the Judge Roy Bean museum. Fun place if you are ever in the area. Small, but worth the price of admission. Wish I had seen this film prior ot my visit.

120852235_361798118514731_5495715922065806469_n.jpg

120773542_709815939614488_3833646308006728099_n.jpg

teezzy

Banned
avco_payoff_1-sht_v7_lg_32e68793.jpeg

The Force Awakens is awesome.
I don't know if I'd say better than A New Hope, but man, it's close. Pure blasphemy in goblin dungeons like this, but I have to be honest.
One day, the kids who grew up with the sequel trilogy will be crying about whatever Star Wars movies are out ten years from now. We're not even that far off - maybe a decade and a half from now?
I stand by my statement that all the Star Wars movies hold merit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So me and the wife started watching the new Kauffman film “I’m thinking of ending things”. We made it 23 minutes in before reaching a point where we just couldn’t continue with such self-indulgent drivel with boring middle class cunts who are boringly self-absorbed and talk in such a boring - we just couldn’t be arsed with it. It was everything wrong with modern indie/arty films.

Swapped for Breakfast At Tiffany’s which was vastly superior, and Audrey Hepburn was hot as fuck. I disapprove of her treatment of the cat though. Definitely top right of the hot crazy matrix.

BigBooper

So me and the wife started watching the new Kauffman film “I’m thinking of ending things”. We made it 23 minutes in before reaching a point where we just couldn’t continue with such self-indulgent drivel with boring middle class cunts who are boringly self-absorbed and talk in such a boring - we just couldn’t be arsed with it. It was everything wrong with modern indie/arty films.

Swapped for Breakfast At Tiffany’s which was vastly superior, and Audrey Hepburn was hot as fuck. I disapprove of her treatment of the cat though. Definitely top right of the hot crazy matrix.
I've been thinking about picking up a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's, expecting it's only a matter of time before it's censored. Good choice.

Happy Death Day 2 U
Not as good as the first.
Wish it continued with Ryans view instead of going back to Tree it was kind of just more of the same in the end.

Birds of Prey
It was surprisingly decent. I had low expectations but it wasn’t half bad. Worth a watch.

Trailer for BoP was so good.

The film, not so much

teezzy

Banned
large_vjeDY8lc4awwcE22XGksWEZxjOe.jpg

Much like Broken Flowers, A Serious Man is another movie which I wanted to revisit now that I'm older in order to see if I could grasp it more than I may have when I was a teenager. The movie is about the uncertainty of life, and how the more we turn towards traditionalism and logic, we often become more confused. There's too much spontaniety unaccounted for in the universe for us to ever truly understand it all, and rules are often broken. In that sense, A Serious Man appears to be a surprisingly nihilistic character study. While I definitely laughed at a few scenes, I didn't find this as comedic or as quotable as other Coen brother movies. However, much like their other works, A Serious Man resembles a novel nearly as much as it does a movie. Due to the subtleties and intentional non-answers throughout, I can see why I didn't quite grasp these things as an 18 year old watching this movie. I can also see why, according to Rotten Tomatoes, there was a huge drop off between critics and audience in terms of reception.

I'm not going to pretend like this is any sort of masterpiece, nor will I front as though any of the characters in A Serious Man necessarily stood out to me, despite my love of seeing Richard Kind on screen whenever I get the opportunity to. This is not a typical Coen Brothers film, but that the same time it could be weirdly argued that it is also the most Coen Brothers film. All in all, this definitely is one where I left in some sort of reflection of my own life, and therefore - I liked it.

Broken Flowers was shockingly good, and equally poetic. More enjoyable overall, with its clear-cut plot line and the obvious talents of Bill Murray. Still, between A Serious Man, Broken Flowers, and St. Vincent - I've have one hell of a nice little self reflective weekend watching movies. I won't even account for Force Awakens or Napoleon Dynamite, which were more of a palette cleanser than anything else.

I'm going to continue watching movies again during quarantine, I think. It's a lot nicer since I've gone sober. I feel like I'm reading into things more, and therefore developing some sort of understanding.

Top Bottom