• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

BigBooper

Call Northside 777 - An interesting and entertaining early Jimmy Stewart movie about false accusations and false imprisonment. It was based on a true story about two men falsely accused of murdering a cop during the bootlegging era.

teezzy

Banned
51lL62g8WAL._AC_.jpg

I'm a sucker for dude-based romantic comedies, especially those with a decently plotted love triangle. I'm a sap, sue me.
Steve Carell's ability to walk the tightrope between lovable chump who you can't help but empathize with, and awkward dolt who makes you wince in his inability to conform due to his inability read a room is on full display here.
Great Fall movie overall. Lots of warm colors. You really feel like you're on a vacation surrounded by the warmth of Dan's family, which only contrasts his internal emotional struggle more.
Still, you just wanna violently shake the dude, and scream, "Get over it, dude!" for the majority of the flick. There are a lot of times where Dane Cook is far more likeable as Dan's fitness focused brother, especially as Steve Carell's character tries to outshine him at every turn.
"Love is not a feeling, it's an ability," states Dan's daughter's love interest at a later point in the movie. If that's the message which the writer of Dan in Real Life wanted its audience to take away, then point well-taken.
Overall, I had fun. Seeing John Mulaney play the grandpa character was a treat also. I missed him from his days as Marty Crane in Frasier.

sobaka770

Banned
I just watched Enola Holmes....

What a waste of talent - good actors, good acting but for something that has a Holmes name on it and clearly banks on Sherlock appeal, this is a pure disappointment. The mysteries are solved on the fly, there is no tension really. I get that this is more of a young adult thing but the message is hammered like a gun to your head.

Look, I get that this movie is about a young woman finding her place in the world, but the way it's positioned as if oppression of the 19th century is a good lesson for girls today is just way over the top. Let's also add that Enola is clearly a Mary Sue which wouldn't be a problem as Sherlock is one as well in his stories but there needs to be at least a semblance of challenge. Add to this the usual all men are dumb or malicious or effeminate - can't have any toxic masculinity here - pointless narration and some bad CGI it just doesn't gel. I mean Dr Who did badass women detectives in victorian times better and that says something.

teezzy

Banned
No-Safe-Spaces-video-thumbnail-v2.jpg

No Safe Spaces is a documentary which surprised me with just how well thought out, and high budgeted it was from a production standpoint. I half expected this to be some sort of cheap tribute to edgier jokes and talking points, but instead was treated to a relieving discussion on the dangers of suffocating free speech, primarily on college campuses. My low expectations going in were fittingly representative of this film's notion of right-wing viewpoints being demonized within the cultural zeitgeist. Even as a now-regular viewer of The Adam Carolla Show, my expectations were somewhat grim. Adam Carolla, being highlighted throughout the entirety of the feature alongside Dennis Prager, who I admittedly knew very little about apart from the fact that I should supposedly dislike him for having 'dangerous thoughts'. Another example of exactly what this documentary is trying to showcase. I still feel as though I should read up on Prager more.

Released almost exactly a year ago, No Safe Spaces feels even more relevant today than I imagine it must have at this time in 2019. Much of what is being discussed here has left the confines of college campuses and social media, and is now infiltrating all walks of popular culture. The suffocation of divergent concepts, ideas, and the freedom of speech has become so popularized within a year's time, that I'm honestly kinda startled. While this issue may seem mildly benign in the face of what we're currently experiencing via Covid 19, BLM, and the Antifa movements... it could not hammer home the relevancy of this documentary further. The very fact that the first ammendment has become a Conservative talking point is alarming. You shouldn't have to be afraid to publicly be a Republican - that's dumb as hell.

I still need to collect my thoughts on this one. I've become notably more piqued intellectually by Conservative ideals as of late, and should probably take a second to process what I've absorbed. Had I watched this when it were released, I likely would have REEEEE'd out to some extent or laughed it off.

More potent than I expected it to be, truthfully. An easy recommendation, especially for anyone who leans left politically.

Barrage

I watched Easy Rider for the first time. It's crazy to think a movie this experimental (even now), this bleak and this low budget could finish in the Top 5 in the box office. Those days are over, for sure.

As for the movie, I didn't exactly enjoy it throughout (the drug trip in the last third comes off as pretentious, and I don't like the ending), but the soundtrack is an all-timer. Every single scene with Jack Nicholson (my favourite actor, so i'm biased) is electric and memorable.

The movie feels like it's from another era in a way that no modern movie trying to go back to the 60s has ever replicated. One character does not realize that "LA" stands for Los Angeles. Another character doesn't know what the word "Dude" means. There was a rural disconnect in America that went on much longer than people realize. Exaggerated for drama as it may be, it is wild that there was a brief window in American history (right as the counter-culture died down), in which long hair could revert white males to subhuman status in some isolated communities (hard to imagine the experience of anyone who wasn't).

Would I recommend it? I think you have to have no expectations on a movie story having to please you emotionally, or satisfy you narratively. The Nicholson scenes are 100% worth the price of entry, though.

teezzy

Banned
660x254-War-w-gra.jpg

Robert De Niro, Cheech Marin, and Christopher Walken were cool. Everyone else was annoying.

Annoying kids, annoying 'dumb dad', even Uma Thurman didn't have much more of a role than bossy head of the family.

This is Direct to Video/streaming fodder being shown in theaters with a big name cast for some reason.

Not sure what it says about me if I only related to the elderly men characters, but it is what it is.

The War with Grandpa is more or less exactly what you think it is. I was hoping for more of a surprise treat. This was elderly Robert De Niro doing slapstick and not much else.

Last edited:
I watched First Blood for the first time on account of Rambo coming to MK11. For an action film from the 80s it was alright.

A lot more serious and dark than the later over the top Rambo films.

First Blood is great, it's an actual film. Seems like you had different expectations, which is understandable. All the sequels are mindless crap though.

InDaGulag

First Blood is great, it's an actual film. Seems like you had different expectations, which is understandable. All the sequels are mindless crap though.

I enjoyed it. I was more surprised at how the tone of it was nothing like the popular imagery of Rambo that penetrates our culture. There's even people flying flags with photoshopped photos of Rambo with Trump's head. Ugh.

But then again Ithat's common for many media franchises to be diluted by profit into mindless escapism from whatever the original message of the franchise was. Happened to shit like Robocop and Watchmen too.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I just watched Enola Holmes....

What a waste of talent - good actors, good acting but for something that has a Holmes name on it and clearly banks on Sherlock appeal, this is a pure disappointment. The mysteries are solved on the fly, there is no tension really. I get that this is more of a young adult thing but the message is hammered like a gun to your head.

Look, I get that this movie is about a young woman finding her place in the world, but the way it's positioned as if oppression of the 19th century is a good lesson for girls today is just way over the top. Let's also add that Enola is clearly a Mary Sue which wouldn't be a problem as Sherlock is one as well in his stories but there needs to be at least a semblance of challenge. Add to this the usual all men are dumb or malicious or effeminate - can't have any toxic masculinity here - pointless narration and some bad CGI it just doesn't gel. I mean Dr Who did badass women detectives in victorian times better and that says something.

I just watched this as well and agree the cast felt wasted. The movie itself doesn’t even really have a point.

The whole finding yourself thing fell second to helping the boy so much so that by the end of the movie they pretty much forgot to do anything with the mother aside from a final cameo which amounted to nothing.

Millie is fantastic though the whole way through.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
o7l2a4KSto1HXIf7DxvRcPVn2sMRvl_large.jpg

I really dig Days of Heaven

Very few movies are able to soothe and unnerve you at the same time quite like this

Cienmatography is just breathtaking. I often feel the need to shower after watching this. Like Cries and Whispers or something lol

9/10

I watched this tonight with the wife - gorgeous film, beautifully shot, just a god old fashioned well told story. Definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

teezzy

Banned
@hariseldon

Solid choice.. For me, Days of Heaven really is one of those movies that feels like I'm watching a painting or something. The cinematography is that on point throughout, and the storytelling is top notch.

I don't know if you or your wife felt unsettled by the movie at all. Something about it always gets to me. That's really any movie that takes place on a farm. Probably watched Children of the Corn one too many times growing up.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
@hariseldon

Solid choice.. For me, Days of Heaven really is one of those movies that feels like I'm watching a painting or something. The cinematography is that on point throughout, and the storytelling is top notch.

I don't know if you or your wife felt unsettled by the movie at all. Something about it always gets to me. That's really any movie that takes place on a farm. Probably watched Children of the Corn one too many times growing up.

Not knowing where it was going to go a bit of me was wondering if they were going to get caught and people would think it was incest but of course it was still a fairly dark ending, though reflective of dark times.

Visually though it’s an absolute treat, kinda made me feel my indoor office life is a waste in a way - but then I’ve long been a sucker for films set in those kind of places.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's the part with all the locusts and fire which gets me. Very effective. Glad you had fun.

Yeah that section was incredible - like hell on Earth and the confusion of it where there’s fire everywhere, the fact the fire is real, practical effects with sparks and embers everywhere, no CGI, the way the reality of the shot grounds the experience in real terror, with real consequences. Modern films generally don’t do that.

I loved Badlands by the same director - go grab it if you haven’t seen it yet. Absolutely superb film.

sol_bad

Going through the MCU films with the fam and having fun doing so. My sisters boyfriend hasn't seen them so we are catching him up before the Black Widow movie releases. They sneakily watched Iron Man 2 without me though!!!

Iron Man -blu ray
Still a great film 12 years later, it gets better and better with every re-watch. RDJ really is the perfect casting for Tony Stark and I absolutely love his motivations for becoming Iron Man. Sisters bf certainly didn't guess that Obadiah Stane would be the bad guy.
My only complaint is the final fight is a bit clunky and not the best.

The Incredible Hulk - blu ray
Probably the worst MCU film, it has no real story, no characterisation and the CGI has aged terribly. It has a great audio track on blu ray though, Jesus. Still wondering when the hell The Leader will show up.

Thor - blu ray
Love it, love it, love it. Chris Hemsworth is more perfect casting, so is Tom Hiddleston. I think some of Tom Hiddlestons best acting is in this film and I actually felt sorry for his character when he finds out the truth of his past. Action scenes again aren't the best but characterisation is on point. Thor goes through an absolute emotional roller coaster throughout this film and I think they portrayed his change of character very well. Love the Dutch angles. LOL

These early movies prove how good Marvel are at creating their characters and they weren't owned by Disney yet. I don't think things changed much once Disney took over, although "woke" Marvel would have occurred earlier if Feige always had his way. Hell, they worked up Heimdel and Sitwell just for starters but this stupid "culture war" wasn't around in 2011.

I've easily watched these MCU films at leasted 5+ times each, the phase 1 films easily 10+ times. Will forever watch them more than the 80s films I grew up on.

teezzy

Banned
510tEa74XlL._AC_.jpg

I'd never seen Sideways before. My brain is still trying to unpack exactly what the thematic significance of the wine was in the movie. Something about the dangers of letting obsessions get in the way of pursuing personal growth? I think so.

There's a scene where Paul Giamatti's character, Miles, and his romantic interest, Maya, share a poetic exchange about their preferred wines of choice. There was something lovely about that - the duck's eye of the movie, as David Lynch once put it.

I related to Miles more than I'd care to admit. I wish that weren't the case. Kinda makes me wanna not be such an introvert type. I also have a tendency to let my interests take too much prominence in my life. It's something I should work on.

Funny how Miles' ex-wife was played by Jessica Hecht, who was also in Dan in Real Life, which I'd also just watched. That was neat.

Actually, you know what? I think that is the significance of the wine, especially giving the plot line with Miles' old college roommate, Jack, some further assessment. Jack's wine is his playboy "plight," as he called it. I'm going to believe that until someone convinces me otherwise.... which is unlikely lol

teezzy

Banned
81esLCP6ujL._RI_.jpg

Probably the best nutrition documentary I've seen.
This is maybe my fourth time seeing this. I like to watch it over just to remind myself how much crappy sugar they throw into all these foods.
This is one that changed my life in a big bad way when it first came out and I lost a ton of weight after quitting added sugar completely.
Sadly, that didn't last when I got involved in a relationship and let my new dietary habits fall out of practice.
I'm eating healthy again now though, and this was just as awesome as ever.

mango drank

Some basics, all 7s.

The Invisible Man (2020, HBO) 7/10
Good tension the first 3/4, but the ending was kinda muddled.

Alien: Covenant (2017) 7/10
Saw it in theaters when it first came out, thought it was meh, but then gave it another watch just now and liked it much better. Probably because I'd just finished getting through Raised by Wolves, and compared to that turd, Covenant feels like goddamn a masterpiece.

Us (2019, HBO) 7/10
Better than the internet led me to believe.

Borat (2006, Prime) 7/10
Equal parts hilarious and cringy, but uneven. Afterwards, I went back and watched some of the in-character interviews Sacha Baron Cohen did with late-night talk show hosts around the time of release, and those are funnier than the movie itself. My mustache still tastes of your testes.

Being John Malkovich (1999, Netflix US) 7/10
Felt like checking out more Charlie Kaufman after the bizarro I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Clever.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Some basics, all 7s.

Borat (2006, Prime) 7/10
Equal parts hilarious and cringy, but uneven. Afterwards, I went back and watched some of the in-character interviews Sacha Baron Cohen did with late-night talk show hosts around the time of release, and those are funnier than the movie itself. My mustache still tastes of your testes.

Being John Malkovich (1999, Netflix US) 7/10
Felt like checking out more Charlie Kaufman after the bizarro I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Clever.

Honestly I loved Borat - I guess it was a product of its time but it’s just brilliant fun.

Being John Malkovich is awesome, though I’d say Kauffman’s best work is Anomalisa (one of my all time favourites). Tbh I got about 20 minutes into I’m Thinking Of Ending Things and switched over because I was bored. That fucking poem, such a boring couple of self absorbed cunts giving me no reason to care. The only other film I’ve noped out of like that was The Death Of Stalin.

mango drank

Honestly I loved Borat - I guess it was a product of its time but it’s just brilliant fun.
Borat had hilarious parts throughout, but I couldn't give it a higher score because I was cringing too much. Which was the intended effect--he wanted to make the people watching it uncomfortable. I've heard people say they can't watch things like Curb Your Enthusiasm because it's too cringy / uncomfortable, but Curb is absolutely nothing, cringe-wise, compared to Borat. I literally had to take a 30-minute cringe break in the middle of the movie, then come back to it to finish it.

And Death of Stalin was solid. A little slow in parts, but also tons of hilarious scenes.

Borat had hilarious parts throughout, but I couldn't give it a higher score because I was cringing too much. Which was the intended effect--he wanted to make the people watching it uncomfortable. I've heard people say they can't watch things like Curb Your Enthusiasm because it's too cringy / uncomfortable, but Curb is absolutely nothing, cringe-wise, compared to Borat. I literally had to take a 30-minute cringe break in the middle of the movie, then come back to it to finish it.

And Death of Stalin was solid. A little slow in parts, but also tons of hilarious scenes.
What scene made you take a 30 minute cringe break in Borat?

Seems a little excessive

Last edited:

mango drank

What scene made you take a 30 minute cringe break in Borat?

Seems a little excessive
Nothing in particular, but about an hour into watching it, I was like, "This is really funny, but I'll finish it tomorrow, I'm drained from feeling so bad for these people." :messenger_tears_of_joy: Then half an hour later I suddenly felt refreshed and felt like laughing some more, so I finished it..

Nothing in particular, but about an hour into watching it, I was like, "This is really funny, but I'll finish it tomorrow, I'm drained from feeling so bad for these people." :messenger_tears_of_joy: Then half an hour later I suddenly felt refreshed and felt like laughing some more, so I finished it..

The most cringeworthy scene was probably the dinner table. And they didn't treat that nice couple that looked after them very well. But that was probably staged.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The Invisible Man with that Mad Men chick is...not good.

Critics have failed me again.
Critics are useless. The wife keeps making me watch Mark Kermode on BBC breakfast do film reviews and honestly he’s so infected by the mind virus that every fucking sentence is woke - if a film is by a black lesbian with actors who have never acted before it’s going to get praise but if it’s too white and male he’s going to hate it. Utterly pointless.

teezzy

Banned
3796758766261597541.jpg

I remember Little Miss Sunshine being a real critical darling when it dropped in 2006. I never watched it, as it just kinda looked like toothless indie fodder. I was mistaken. Little Miss Sunshine does have more bite to it than I anticipated. Maybe not the best movie, or the most insightful, but a fun watch overall. There's some message here about superficiality and expectations vs reality, letting your freak flag fly... but I really can't be bothered to unpack it further. Definitely some good laughs here, and dear lord was that children's beauty pageant scene creepy. No idea how people can stomach crap like Cuties. Solid little movie, but not sure why it got as much praise as it did at the time. Not bad whatsoever though.

teezzy

Banned
beachbumposter.jpg

The Beach Bum is a dumb stoner comedy written and directed by Harmony Korine that co-stars Matthew McConaughey and Snoop Dogg... but mostly Matthew McConaughey. Yes, Jimmy Buffet is literally in the movie. There's a scene where Matthew McConaughey sucks Isla Fisher's toes and proceeds to eat her out... and I still hated it. The movie may even be worse than what the poster would lead you to believe. Don't let the talent attached fool you... this sucked.

McConaughey's character is a Floridian poet named Moondog who spends a large portion of the movie getting high, mumbling his way through incoherent poems, and hooking up with hotties. There isn't much else to this. Even when one of the main characters die, the movie brushes over it so nonchalantly and we're further treated to a scene of Matthew McConaughey riding a bike around wearing a thong and a gas mask bong. You get the feeling watching this movie that they had an awful amount of fun filming this, so much so, that they never stopped to ensure they were crafting an enjoyable movie. No matter how many colors Korine throws at the screen, nearly every joke still falls flat. Not even Martin Lawrence was funny, I don't know how. Visually, The Beach Bum is shockingly ugly too, especially for a Korine film. Scene after scene is intentionally (?) poorly lit and some shots even seemed purposefully out of focus. How high was everyone making this?

Korine lost the plot with this one, and I say this as a devoted fan who owns all his other movies and books. I wish his crime drama with Al Pacino didn't fall through prior to making The Beach Bum, because this shit was dumb, and every character was impossible to like, especially the titular beach bum. You'll spend the entire movie wondering why anyone would like this guy. This is a movie Harmony Korine made to entertain himself, clearly, and nobody had the balls to tell him this wasn't exactly up to snuff with what he's capable of. The Beach Bum is to Harmony Korine, as Yoga Hosers was to Kevin Smith. I will be hesitantly hoping he corrects course with his next film. Maybe if a single joke landed, it'd have been better. I didn't even sense the typical Korine charm here. I feel betrayed, honestly. Dude needs to pull his head out of his ass.

I refuse to belive I just didn't get 'it'. Every character is douchey; there's big name celebrities, and they had enough money to license Cure songs... hardy har har, isn't it clever? Grow up, Harmony, you're better than this. I haven't hated a movie this much in a while.

I'm triggered.

teezzy

Banned
81AuyLA3SLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lady Bird was fun. Reminded me a lot of my teenage years - if I were a Catholic school dweeb. It captured the confusion and excitement of that period well. That's important for coming of age movies. A nice palette cleanser after how awful The Beach Bum was. The main character was somewhat grating at times, but I guess most teenagers are, especially 'creative types'. She reminded me a lot of this girl I used to mess with growing up. A big blast from the past. I also related a lot to the family's financial struggles and felt they were portrayed pretty realistically here. Laurie Metcalf was a natural in the role of Lady Bird's mom. I love seeing Aunt Jackie from Roseanne in things. I also enjoyed the kid from Manchester by the Sea playing the initial love interest. I miss being a teenage rebel. I miss being surrounded by people I actually cared about.

All in all, this movie has the good stuff. Loved the 2002 vibes. They made me super nostalgic. Greta Gerwig did right here. She was sweet in Frances Ha too, so it rules that she knows her way behind a camera too. I should check out her Little Women adaptation. This was sweet, actually.

This was nominated for 5 Oscars - wow. Good movie lol.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Watched The Graduate last night - absolutely hilarious though I feel like Dustin Hoffman's character behaves pretty badly and that seems to get less attention than it should. Also, late 30s in the 1960s is like late 50s in 2020 - Mrs Robinson did not look great! Overall I really enjoyed it though - a fun little character study.

Impractical Jokers - Eh. Just a longer episode. Nothing special and not even as funny. (Don’t watch)

Teen Titans vs. Teen Titans Go! - Holy shit was this enjoyable. Really good comedy moments that you expect from the series. Excellent animation. If you like DC’s animated stuff, don’t sleep on this one. (Definitely watch)

Gemini Man - Classic Will Smith action flick. The plot is nonsensical at times, but the talent of Smith and Clive Owen pushes it through. (Watch)

Enola Holmes - Let me just say that I could do without the heavy handed SJW shit, but that it doesn’t detract from this being a good movie. I know Henry Cavill is in this, but Millie Bobby Brown is the star. The girl can definitely act and should get more opportunities. I thought the story was solid as well. (Definitely watch)

The Outpost - Film about an outpost in some dogshit mountain in Afghanistan. The movie ends with a 45 minute battle scene. I knew the fight was coming as it’s based on a true story, but I did not expect for it to start a little over an hour in. And it just kept fucking going. It was intense as shit. (Definitely watch)

The Gentlemen - How did this one get by me? Guy Ritchie English gangster flick. All star cast. The one thing I noticed was that Jeremy Strong (Succession) has it. He goes toe to toe with A-list actors. What a fun ass movie. Never stop making this shit. (Definitely watch)

HF2014

Watched Knives Out and Crawl on Prime this weekend, i think they were both pretty good. Crawl was realised by the guy who gave us High Tension, The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha 3D, which were pretty entertaining.

But going to give a thumbs down for 21 Bridges, very predictable and quite boring for a action movie, and You Were Never Really There, a low budget depressive movie that feels like Taken, but more boring.

Aquaman: pretty cool visuals, looks like they finally hired some asians in hollywood to fix their animations and camera angles.

Jason and the argonauts: Old movie made with old tech, but it's still a pretty solid hero's journey.

Clash of the Titans: Same thing really.

Conan the barbarian (the new one): Evil wizard searching for an artifact, I'm a sucker for that stuff.

So now I'm on a binge of the old adventure movies like Jason, Clash. Anything where greek gods are involved sounds good to me, if you have suggestions.

teezzy

Banned
MV5BMzU4Yjc5MjYtYWRjNy00OTM1LWI0YmMtODZkYTYxOTE5OWRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc4NDc3NQ@@._V1_.jpg

Dude...

LMFAO ... wow, holy shit

I did not expect to enjoy that as much as I ended up liking it. Starts off kinda wack and you think the whole premise is gonna be "ooo poor Matt Furie"

but then it really became kinda this weird social analysis of the influence of art. and the power of the internet, all sorts of stuff

they interview some real derps but ultimately, i gotta say, i dug this a lot

kek

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it played as a straight comedy or sorta like a self aware hybrid like Guardians?

Hybrid I would say. There are serious stakes (although less serious than in GotG), but there's a lighthearted sense of fun throughout. It's not a HAHAHA comedy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom