• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still holding onto their CRT's or PVM/BVM's for retro gaming?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does it make a big difference to you in comparison to playing the same games upscaled or emulated on a flat panel?

I have a Sony KV-32FS320
kv32fs320.jpg
sitting at my parents house in a spare room. They also have an earlier model flatscreen CRT that I'll have to find the model number of.

I was thinking about maybe taking the FS320 to my current house and trying to make room for it.

I was looking at maybe building a small form factor pc with an AMD VGA out graphics card, then using a vga to component adapter to send the output to the CRT. There is an enthusiast custom video driver called CRT_EMU_Driver which allows for the AMD equipped PC to properly send the right lower resolution to a CRT. It's mostly seen used in the Arcade enthusiast crowd, the driver is built to reliably output arcade specific resolutions or khz signals, but should be able to be used for home console games as well. I'm just wondering it if WILL actually look alright and pretty close to what you'd get on physical hardware built to output component.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
aye only for the n64
as that sheit console is impossible to display normally on anything but a crt,

as in unmodded.

Stwitch

Neo Member
I have a small PVM that I’m holding onto for now, but I also have an OSSC that I’m using for retro gaming. Comparing the two, there are differences but with a lot of patience and tinkering it is possible to have a really nice image from an old machine on a modern television.

Kuranghi

I was thinking about getting a CRT recently as my new TV has no component inputs so it makes it annoying to play Gamecube and Wii games on it, some of which I want to replay but others I've never played at all so am eager to check out the hype. It has composite input but the games are already disavantaged by being upscaled so much so I want component/RGB to give the best output starting point. Plus, I'm sure input lag for 480i is horrendous on a modern LCD as well due to all the upscaling but I've never tried it, anyone here input composite video into a 4K TV here? How does it feel compared to 1080p upscaling [in game more ofc]?

I'm probably just gonna wait for rereleases of the GC/Wii titles on Switch and for there to be more VC content I want to play - I love Metroidvanias but I've never even played the best one: Super Metroid! - I can't justify the price of online just to play that when I've already waited 15+ years to play it, especially if I'd have to keep paying for the subscription to keep owning it, that sounds shit.

I'm not limited by any sort of WAF but even I think it would be weird to have a CRT sitting in the corner of the room just for retro games. Do you guys move yours around a lot when you aren't using it? Do they stand up to that sort of thing? As opposed to say an OLED, which you don't want to be moving around much if you can. They broke the 77C8 at my work like 3 times moving it :messenger_tears_of_joy: what an awful waste of money...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, I have a few CRTs and a few PC monitors. Very handy to have for retro hardware. A few years ago I looked into all the upscaler / Framemeister / OSSC / etc to get my retro stuff running on a modern display but it was way too much effort for a result that would still be inferior.

So I picked up a few CRTs on the cheap / free and I'll someday build an emulator box to handle the other side of the equation.

Grinchy

Banned
I'd love to have this, but the reality of finding one and figuring out where I'd actually set up the retro corner makes me wonder if I'd even care that much about it once it was all done.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmmm there is also the ability to use component output from a Raspberry Pi. That would look like the more enticing cheaper option to see if I wanted to take the CRT to my house, but to get component output you might have to buy a RetroTink addon that's sold out and costs around $60+.

LOLCats

Banned
Nope, i had a 32 trinitron but got rid of it, just heavy taking up space. Its probably worth way more than than my giveaway price now haha.

Yes, I keep a big (25”?) Toshiba flat screen CRT TV in my entertainment cabinet for console gaming and a 15khz arcade CRT for a couple of arcade boards I own. Mostly I like the reduced input lag but I’ve been enjoying the DF retrospective on CRTs lately; so much good was lost in the switch to flat panel. PC gaming on a 1080p plasma, the loss in color and black levels is obvious even when compared to a good LCD panel.

I hope to try a slightly older Nvidia card with VGA out to my TV CRT soon just to see the differences in modern 3D games. I expect that it will be like my experiences with a BIOS flashed AMD 5450 and my arcade CRT in that retro games will look good or great but Windows will look like crap even when properly configured for lower resolutions.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yep. I have a massive Trinitron in my “retro” room and an early lcd for Gamecube gaming. A gigantic Grundig in storage at my other house for when I eventually set up a retro room properly. They don’t make this stuff anymore, so I’m going to hang on to them.

dolabla

I use my OSSC and Framemeister (Genesis, PS1 and PS2) almost always, but I have my Sony Trinitron 20" FV300 hooked up right beside my tv just in case I want to play on the CRT. I do want to find the JVC curved screen CRT (20" preferable) with component inputs. It's extremely hard to find, however.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
nope, I dumped my CRT and I game on LED or OLED w/ OSSC.

Trust me, the DF and Retro people are really backward. If you have been console gaming, it has evolved/moved on to modern TVs.

I only play limited number of old games and even then I don't mod my NES-SNES-Genesis with Flash carts to play million plus 1 games.

Apparently they are living in the realm that modern gaming is trash due to "input" lag. They have gadgets to demonstrate 14 ms of LAG and how we are ruining out "retro" gaming by playing them on Modern Displays.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yup. I actually have 3 CRTs: a 25” Sony, a 21” Panasonic, and a 14” (forgot the brand). They get very little use these days, but there’s really nothing like a CRT for old consoles. Play Metroid Prime on a CRT and the motion is soooooo smooth.

alf717

I own CRT TVs, CRT monitors and a PVM. I prefer them to LCD/etc screens for older games. I feel the Dreamcast looks its best on a CRT. The colors pop so much more when hooked up through VGA.

Gek54

I still have my 34 Wega Trinitron that I picked up on clearance at Circuit City. Lasted me until the Panny G25.

Glad I found this thread, I was thinking of tossing it in the dumpster, now I feel like some Snes Donkey Kong Country and Earth Worm Jim

Rat Rage

Of course! I've come to the conclusion that it's the only way to play retro games. That's why I keep a couple (2 small CRT's and 1 bigger) in reserve.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I just came off CRT this generation. Came off the PC CRTs about 3 years ago. I had a Sony FW900 and a Viewsonic 21 inch P225F. They both died. I was sad loosing them. I actually liked the Viewsonic picture quality more than the Sony. When they died I could not fix them. No one in town repaired CRTs, so I had to recycle them and get an LCD monitor.

But I still had my Sony XBR910 CRT for an HDTV. Was using it up until this year. Still works but has overscan issues. It could probably be fixed or adjusted if I was confident enough monkeying around with the service menu. Replaced it with a Sony X900E. The last time I retro gamed with the XBR910 was the Dreamcast months ago.

I bought a JVC A101G 9" CRT monitor when I heard that they look better. Problem I have is the unit has a high pitched ringing that I drives me up a wall. Haven't turned it on since.

radewagon

I've got an old Sony Trinitron with Component Inputs in storage. Aside from some slightly wonky geometry around the edges, the image is absolutely phenomenal. Also, I don't use it. It's heavy and cumbersome and the only reason I think I still have it is on the off chance that I want to play some old PS2 lightgun games. Products like the OSSC, Framemeister, and Retrotink have really helped lessen the sting of poor image quality when playing old games on modern televisions.

Special thanks also goes out to Analogue. Their modern takes on the Genesis, Super Nintendo, and NES almost make the original hardware irrelevant.

cireza

Of course. I have a CRT TV for all my old consoles. You just can't beat a good CRT TV, nothing comes close. Even if you cheat with filters and get decent results, you never get the motion clarity of a CRT TV.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
oh yeah im never getting rid of my CRT

visually there's nothing like it, but i looooove the way retro consoles sound through a CRT as well.

kingbean

I've got about 5 other CRTs in my spare room. One of them is the really good JVC D-series just sitting up. IF it didnt cost 100 bucks I'd ship it to someone for free.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yes I have 3 CRTs dedicated for gaming. A triniton that is my workhorse with most systems hooked up to it. A goddamn tank of an HD CRT for a handful of things and a really old shitty one for my Atari and 8-bit micro nonsense.

pawel86ck

Banned
Yes I have 3 CRTs dedicated for gaming. A triniton that is my workhorse with most systems hooked up to it. A goddamn tank of an HD CRT for a handful of things and a really old shitty one for my Atari and 8-bit micro nonsense.
I'm using SD CRT for my retrogames and even PS3 games looks beautiful on it (no aliasing, beautiful life like colors, strong contrast, perfect black), however I have never seen HD CRT TV. I'm guessing 720p on HD CRT must look amazing.

I wish modern LCD would offer CRT pictue quality 😥.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Would love to get my hands on a PVM, but hard to find in my area and I don't trust ordering online for one.

rickyEGM

Banned
I have a Sony Trinitron PVM and OSSC for retro gaming, along with the Analogue systems and MiSTer. I switch between all the solutions depending on my mood.

No, i switched to emulators for retro console gaming quite a while ago. I kept a CRT TV for the Nintendo Wii up until about 3 years ago wen the sensor bar failed, allthough even before that the disc drive had trouble reading discs. After the sensor bar failure, i said 'fuck it' and packed all of it in my garage, including the TV.

TsimpleD

Neo Member
I have like 10 of them, my family used to sell them back in the day, but the only crt that I use is my arcade cabinet.

Top Bottom