• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone willing to start debating Top 3 gaming soundtracks of the Eighth generation?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
3. Ys8: Dana no More

2. Two way tie - Night of Yuri/the shitty sequel that killed off the series (Gust makes excellent OST's. I was actually shocked how mediocre Ryza's was)

gOHdzFw.jpg

other (not as great) but still good OST nonetheless

Last edited by a moderator:

MeteorVII

Final Fantasy XV, and it’s not even close.

Hellfire is up there with Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel as one of the absolute greatest tracks in video game history.

As for the other 2 spots; Persona 5 and FFVII Remake. Godlike Soundtracks.

GametimeUK

Damn I feel like I should be able to answer this easily, but nothing comes to mind. What the actual fuck? I know I liked Nier and Bloodborne, but they aren't my preferred types of soundtracks. It's pretty much background noise where I can't necessarily remember the music itself (to the point I can recreate it in my head).

My tastes are more of the Nintendo variety or tracks that appear in platform games. I recently played Ori and the Blind Forest and the tracks from that game stuck in my head. It's much more my thing.

Still I'm drawing a massive blank here because I usually LOVE video game music. Double damn.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Of the generation.

I would put Mario kart but that is really last gen on the Wii U.

I loved the RDR2 soundtrack.
uncharted 4 has top notch orchestration. Nates theme is amazing.
I think Breath of the wild is amazing for what it did with minimal music.
Honorable mention is FF7 for the remake of old themes.

Out of this gen's games I've played, currently all my top 3 entries are Nintendo related:

1. Mario Kart 8. So much brass, it's great. So many tracks are amazing; out of the new ones, Mount Wario is my favorite, and out of the classic ones, probably Rainbow Road (N64). Also absolutely love how the single Animal Crossing tune gets remixed to sound, uhhh, "seasonal" (with the Winter variant being my favorite; that Christmas-y jingle at the beginning, ooof). I actually imported the soundtrack CD from Japan, and it's one of my most prized gaming-related possessions.
2. Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds. This one is a bit unfair because a majority of the tracks are remixes from Link to the Past, so technically those compositions are not new. But, Link Between Worlds was my very first Zelda game, so it was new to me, and it was an 8th gen game; in fact, it's the game that made me pull the trigger on a 3DS to begin with. So, I will count it here.
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Someone in this thread already talked about this, but this one is almost a bit unfair, since it's essentially a celebration of video game music for practically the entire existence of video games.

I love playing Western-made Third Person Shooters (e.g., Uncharted, neo Tomb Raider, etc), but man, their soundtracks suck. I can't remember a single tune from any of those games. I guess the Hollywood-style symphonic arrangements are a bit too vanilla for me.

Arsic

Gold Member
Nier Automata.

Persona 5.

Celeste.

Shout outs to Ys VIII and Death Stranding.

Those top 3 I listen to regularly in my car or at home.

Edit: Forgot Hotline Miami 1 & 2 were a part of this time period somehow. I'd lump those two together to boot out Persona 5 honestly from my top 3. Hotline is too good.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Top 3 would probably be Mario Odyssey, Doom 2016, and Yakuza Kiwami 2.

This is the only song I actually made a point to get into iTunes:

Favorite licensed soundtrack is definitely Forza Horizon 4. Such a great little mix.

Top Bottom