• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone with a DualSense, have you got it to work on anything yet?

Calverz

yeah, update on that. it is recognised as a standard USB controller. so no home button and no other features work aside from the standard button inputs

I also suspect that it will have similar compatibility issues as the DS4, so games like Yakuza 5 will not work with it. (that's the only one I remember from the top of my head)

but... that's the case on every PS controller. they are all connected crosses, the design was originally only the way it is because of Nintendo's patent on the cross shape dpad.
Thats disappointing but not unexpected. The hunt for imaacualte genuine dual shock 3’s continue lol

BlackTron

less tension on a stick is better for precise aiming. you want as little resistance as possible so that you can easily perform fine movements without any hindrance.

the stick has to feel solid as well tho, it has to snap back firmly.

that is the perfect stick. I don't get people that want more resistance in the sticks like you can set the elite 2 controller to... I guess that's better for people that aren't that good at actually knowing where their thumb is positioned at any given time? I dunno.

so he says the sticks feel a bit looser! which is great! that means they are closer to the Xbox One sticks, the DS4 sticks were already only slightly stiffer. they might have listened to some CoD pro player feedback as they play all their official games on PS4 due to the pr deal. and I would bet they would mostly want looser sticks

I have the exact opposite opinion. I prefer 360 to XB1 because the sticks are tighter.

This must be something entirely subjective and vary by person, but, I find tighter sticks make it easier to make fine adjustments, not harder. For me, on a loose stick, the tiniest increment that I can have my thumb move the stick is larger than the increments of precision I need in the game. It's too easy to "overaim". Like imagine a super-sensitive mouse that moves the mouse all the way across the screen by moving it only half an inch. It's too sensitive. Your hand can't move it slowly enough.

Put another way, imagine driving in real life and having to make super-precise turns. The wheel has no tension and is entirely loose, loose as a pinwheel on a stick toy that spins in the wind. Yeah, I guess you could get the wheel to the correct spot faster because there's no resistance. But COULD you with any precision? I think that would be insanely difficult without any tension or feedback. To me, that's a loose stick. YUCK.

BTW, my favorite stick of all time is N64. Take from that what you will...

FrankWza

ok that's good news.
the DS4 dpad was an improvement in terms of shape, the older DS1-3 dpads had super harsh edges and a huge gap in the middle which would really fucking hurt during longer fighting game sessions.
the DS4 was a bit low tho.

so good that they further enhanced the design... I still think the Vita Dpad is the best Sony Dpad to this date... the only issue about that was that the left stick was in the way and in heated situations you could easily clash with it, resulting in unwanted inputs... the dpad on its own tho was fucking glorious.

it was similar to the Logitech PS2 wireless controller, which is my favourite Dpad ever.
Agree 100% there was a logi for PS3 too. That controller absolutely influenced the DS4 shape and design. The DualSense Dpad is as close to the Vita as Sony has come without making a whole Dpad. As i look at both I’m thinking it’s because the dpad or buttons are molded into the shape of the controller instead of the flat platform. The ⭕ Button is really nice too. It’s in a good spot along the curve of the handle but not too far right and doesn’t pinch.

Last edited:

Banned
I have the exact opposite opinion. I prefer 360 to XB1 because the sticks are tighter.

This must be something entirely subjective and vary by person, but, I find tighter sticks make it easier to make fine adjustments, not harder. For me, on a loose stick, the tiniest increment that I can have my thumb move the stick is larger than the increments of precision I need in the game. It's too easy to "overaim". Like imagine a super-sensitive mouse that moves the mouse all the way across the screen by moving it only half an inch. It's too sensitive. Your hand can't move it slowly enough.

Put another way, imagine driving in real life and having to make super-precise turns. The wheel has no tension and is entirely loose, loose as a pinwheel on a stick toy that spins in the wind. Yeah, I guess you could get the wheel to the correct spot faster because there's no resistance. But COULD you with any precision? I think that would be insanely difficult without any tension or feedback. To me, that's a loose stick. YUCK.

BTW, my favorite stick of all time is N64. Take from that what you will...

I guess it depends yeah,
to me a lot of tension in the sticks feels like I have to push against something, and less tension gives me more freedom.
the same is true about the triggers on the Xbox One btw. they are extremely easy to press in, and that feels amazing in Forza to me. I can easily do super small adjustments and never feel like the trigger is fighting against me like it does on the DS4 or 360 controller.

the Xbox One triggers use tech used in fighter jets for example. it's a Hall Effect sensor, a magnet that pushes against the trigger and through the changes in the magnetic fields it detects how far it is pressed in.
it's super smooth

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
does anyone know if the if the sticks are the same size? I'm wondering if my DS4 add on stick extenders will work

DualSense? Nah!

I'm going to wait for the DoubleSense, myself. Will be much better than the official controller :)

nsf6HGo.jpg

(spotted these today in my home town!)
Please buy that and do a review.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not sure if this has been posted yet, or even if it's legit...but apparently this is how good the controllers mic quality is.

If it is legit, hats off to Sony.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
fucking hell... I know I won't touch those sticks any time soon o_O

this looks like something could break easily during multiple of the required steps to open it 😵
I'm sure if you taking things slow and don't rush, you'll be fine.

This guy took it apart without a problem at all.

FrankWza

One problem I see that worries me is having to disconnect the ribbon cable and reattach. Too much stress on the cable to do consistently.

Banned

there's a lot of prying open clips, and even really well made ones will not feel the same if you aren't extremely gentle with them, you will feel that stuff doesn't hold on as it did fresh out of the box anymore.

I had that with some Xbox One controllers that I opened up to clean them (something sticky somehow went inside and some buttons didn't work properly anymore)
and I was super careful while opening them but when put back together you could tell that the clips didn't feel right anymore.

the new sticks look way more grippy tho so I bet I won't need to open this thing anyway.

in my current DualShock 4 I have Xbox Elite controller sticks because I really don't like the stock sticks in the DS4

Last edited:

FrankWza

there's a lot of prying open clips, and even really well made ones will not feel the same if you aren't extremely gentle with them, you will feel that stuff doesn't hold on as it did fresh out of the box anymore.

I had that with some Xbox One controllers that I opened up to clean them (something sticky somehow went inside and some buttons didn't work properly anymore)
and I was super careful while opening them but when put back together you could tell that the clips didn't feel right anymore.

the new sticks look way more grippy tho so I bet I won't need to open this thing anyway.

in my current DualShock 4 I have Xbox Elite controller sticks because I really don't like the stock sticks in the DS4

I think we’ll see a Pro controller soon from Sony. The more I look at theDualsense connection it is too shallow to properly hold a back button attachment the way DS4 was with its proprietary second input next to the 3.5 jack. Im starting to think back button was the test to gauge interest in a pro controller. Shame too because I love the back button attachment but I would love to be able to swap out sticks when they wear out.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
One problem I see that worries me is having to disconnect the ribbon cable and reattach. Too much stress on the cable to do consistently.
Yeah, Ribbion cables in electronics are the bane of my existence.

I just hope we don't get analog drift anymore (unlikely I know), but during all the years I've had my PS4, I had about 5 controllers, all of them eventually developed right stick drift. On the DS4 however it's a pretty easy fix, hope it's the same here.

DryvBy

I got this thing to connect to my Bluetooth finally! Just got to hold the PS+Share button until it blinks. Took longer than some other BT devices. Works as a PS4 controller on Steam.

lucius

I got mine working bluetooth on Steam with KOTOR2, also playing ppsspp its working, DS4windows doesn't yet though I liked using that for DS4 touchpad mouse control

Top Bottom