• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

AOC wants to abolish prisons

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
It also makes jailing people a profitable business though which is retarded. Suddenly there's an interest to increase criminality in order to increase profits.
i'm sure that's true (yes it's a business, but many of these facilities run near the red)

either way the competition is good, it keeps the government checked

Last edited:

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018
US has brutal prison sentences. Definitely needs an over haul of the system.
I wouldn't trust a commie demonrat with the justice system though.

finowns

May 10, 2009
US has brutal prison sentences. Definitely needs an over haul of the system.
I wouldn't trust a commie demonrat with the justice system though.
I don't know about the rest of the United States but in California you have do something crazy to actually be sent to prison and not be given probation, even if you are sent to prison you're going to get parole.

undrtakr900

Oct 30, 2007
AOC wants to abolish prisons
This thread title is extremely misleading, when you read her actual tweet (below) she's talking about ending mass-incarceration, not just closing down every prison and releasing all the inmates back into the general population.

finowns

May 10, 2009
This thread title is extremely misleading, when you read her actual tweet (below) she's talking about ending mass-incarceration, not just closing down every prison and releasing all the inmates back into the general population.
Mass incarceration, Jim Crow, apartheid, slavery.. I feel like I'm going to hit Bingo.

IKSTUGA

Jan 9, 2019
She's off the scale. I have no idea how Kyle Kulinski can defend her or the other far left retards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Jim Crow, "American apartheid" (tenements, projects, and public segregation for black Americans is what she's referring to), and slavery were all the fault of the party she's a part of, though. I don't know who she is trying to fool.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
Jim Crow, "American apartheid" (tenements and projects for black Americans is what she's referring to), and slavery were all the fault of the party she's a part of, though. I don't know who she is trying to fool.
I don't know why Democrats still try to spin that they weren't responsible for all that. Hell, I'm not a US citizen but even I know that piece of history.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I don't know why Democrats still try to spin that they weren't responsible for all that. Hell, I'm not a US citizen but even I know that piece of history.
It's not a perfect analogy, but it would be as if the Republicans made it a significant part of their political attack strategy to blame the Democrats for the Bush and Bush W Wars. Standing outside of banks and KFCs and public offices with signs and with makeshift weapons, shouting "Republicans were the ones protesting the Iraq war! Democrats were voting to send BOMBS!" It would be laughed at. It would be mocked.

but the party switch

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Jim Crow, "American apartheid" (tenements and projects for black Americans is what she's referring to), and slavery were all the fault of the party she's a part of, though. I don't know who she is trying to fool.
Yeah I was wondering this too. I think the Left is banking on most Americans being ignorant of the fact that as far as America goes, they wrote the book on racism.

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
You guys see no problem with our current incarceration system? Seems she just wants to take measures that focus more on rehab/reassimilation in order to decrease the ridiculous number of prisons and incarcerationin the US.
Then she doesn't know the definition of abolition.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Brilliant idea. They can all move in next door to her.
What if you put her house in the middle of a prison and call it a village.

private jails and prisons offer better facilities in many cases with more activities and supplies for inmates, better food, housing
And more people in prison for longer because it generates them money. It's a dumb system.

Last edited:

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
private jails and prisons offer better facilities in many cases with more activities and supplies for inmates, better food, housing
About two-thirds of private prisons have lockup quotas as part of their contract with state and local governments. If they have too many empty beds, the government pays. The most common guarantee is 90%. Some are 100%.

Seems kind of fucked up.

• Praise the Sun
Jun 25, 2018
Prison is supposed to be bad last I checked. If it's awesome what detriment is there to someone not to commit a crime? And some federal prisons where they send white collar criminals can barely be classified as prisons.
yes lets start hanging people upside down again and invent some new torture mechanics to feed a little that detriment to the prisons. im with you all the way......

• Thoughtful

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
You guys see no problem with our current incarceration system? Seems she just wants to take measures that focus more on rehab/reassimilation in order to decrease the ridiculous number of prisons and incarcerationin the US.
While that is something to shoot for, it's not as easy as "remove the prisons" as she so puts it. Some criminals can't be rehabilited, so what do we do with them? What do we do with those that the system tries to rehabilitate and they still go out and repeat the same crimes? Instead of demolishing the prisons, why not put more rehabilitating solutions within them? Why not more psychiatric assistance? Fewer harsh punishments like solitary confinement (unless extremely necessary). There are better solutions than just demolishing prisons as that would free those incapable of rehabilitation.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
That’s the left:
More drugs
More illegals
No prisons
And the illusion of individuality all while they become big government which ironically TAKES AWAY your individuality. Then they’ll continue to attack you in public restaurants, get you fired for not thinking like them, and take more taxes.

The left are supposedly all about “Freedom of expression” (dress how you want, nose ring, young boy wears a dress, don’t change, be who you are, say what you feel) yet wants to ban people from wearing MAGA hats and censor people’s posts on message boards.

The left; idiots

Reactions: GreyHorace

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
i dunno if the data shows that, seems like it might be the other way around
So what prevents a judge from pushing out harder sentences for the sake of lobbying prison owner that see's numbers decline?

"oh you stole something out of a store? yea i find that attempt to murder because u walked somebody off there feed when u walked outside"

10 years. easy.

And hows re-evaluation happening in prison times? like getting off for good behaviour? yea lets not, not good for my profits.

Profit in prison systems is beyond fucked up.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
This is one of many reasons why the founding fathers didn't let just anyone vote. It is a race to the bottom to pandering to every loser for votes.

I mean they are pretty bad. I would just say let out all the nonviolent criminals and end it there.
Wrong. Regardless of what Bernie Sanders tells you, there's not a bunch of black people in jail for smoking a joint. Your "non-violent" offenders are thieves and drug dealers. Often pleading down their charges.

You obviously have no experience whatsoever with criminal justice besides what you read on the New York Times. If anything, we are far too lenient with sentencing. You have to really mess up to go to prison, especially in the big, liberal cities. Often, even if you do, you still only get probation.

If you truly want to decrease the number of those incarcerated, decrease the number of liberal policies. That's where all of your crime is, and harboring it.

Reactions: Nymphae and Eiknarf

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I think they want this to be like Norway, where mass murderers get to play video games and eat junk food all day long in an apartment after killing dozens of people.
Because a 20ft box and bars is going to deter a mass murderer.

And because mass murderer are sooo common that we have to construct our whole system around that one outcome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
i'm sure that's true (yes it's a business, but many of these facilities run near the red)

either way the competition is good, it keeps the government checked
Got a source on this? I sincerely doubt this unless the facility is going through a con to shuffle money to vendors. Most prisons barely feed the inmates enough to live on. Life threatening things that need repairs aren't fixed. Any goods or services (through official means at that) available to inmates cost a lot of money compared to buying in the free market.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Jim Crow, "American apartheid" (tenements, projects, and public segregation for black Americans is what she's referring to), and slavery were all the fault of the party she's a part of, though. I don't know who she is trying to fool.
So you'd have no problem with that part of her statement if there was an 'R' in front of her name?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
So you'd have no problem with that part of her statement if there was an 'R' in front of her name?
Her premise is flawed too, if that's what you're asking. I'm just pointing out the irony of the party responsible for the problem blaming their opponents for it and trying to take credit for attempting to fix it.

Like I said, bunch of Republicans get together and attempting to pass off the Bush and Bush W wars as a Democrat thing? It would get laughed at because we all know the Democrats weren't responsible for those things. The attempt to blame Democras for it would be an obvious lie.

The party responsible for the things she is complaining about should rightly be held in suspicion if they were the ones who caused it. Do you disagree with this logic? Am I holding them to too high of a standard?

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Like I said, bunch of Republicans get together and attempting to pass off the Bush and Bush W wars as a Democrat thing? It would get laughed at because we all know the Democrats weren't responsible for those things. The attempt to blame Democras for it would be an obvious lie.
I have horrid internet at work, so it's possible I just missed it, but its seems to me that this entire analogy hinges on an attack agains the Reps that dont recall seeing anywhere in her proposal or tweet.

The party responsible for the things she is complaining about should rightly be held in suspicion if they were the ones who caused it. Do you disagree with this logic? Am I holding them to too high of a standard?
If you want to treat the party as a monolith, sure, but AOC isn't the Democrats. She's her own person, and she isn't responsible for what her party did before she was born.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I have horrid internet at work, so it's possible I just missed it, but its seems to me that this entire analogy hinges on an attack agains the Reps that dont recall seeing anywhere in her proposal or tweet.

If you want to treat the party as a monolith, sure, but AOC isn't the Democrats. She's her own person, and she isn't responsible for what her party did before she was born.
Then why are American taxpayers being held responsible for what their ancestors from 150 years ago did?

Checkmate, flat earthers.

• LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
There's nothing sensible about holding 2 million Americans in prison. People think a bed and 3 square meals a day somehow makes up for the fact that you're rotting in a box (and on the taxpayer dollar at that), When you get out of that box you're in a worse position financially and even more desperate than when you stole shit/dealt drugs which thereby encourages you to steal shit/deal drugs. Prison is not effective deterrence.

Did you also know that our founding fathers were slave owners? Its been part of America since day 1. Like Trump said, blacks built this country. Not really a democrat vs republican issue.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Then why are American taxpayers being held responsible for what their ancestors from 150 years ago did?

Checkmate, flat earthers.
Tax payers? No. The American government? Yes. If you can find another way to make up for past unkept promises I'm all ears. I personally like the idea of a second homestead act. The federal government is holding on to a lot of land in the west. Better to use it for that instead of another garbage pipeline.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
There's nothing sensible about holding 2 million Americans in prison. People think a bed and 3 square meals a day somehow makes up for the fact that you're rotting in a box (and on the taxpayer dollar at that), When you get out of that box you're in a worse position financially and even more desperate than when you stole shit/dealt drugs which thereby encourages you to steal shit/deal drugs. Prison is not effective deterrence.
770,000 are violent criminals.

They are locked up mostly because they cannot commit violent crimes while they are locked up.

With long sentences they are much less likely to commit violent crimes once they finally come out if ever.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Insurance and a security camera.

Better hope no one is home. I’m not the only one living at my house.
Oh good than they will just rib you again. They could even wave to the camera .

Seriously, Have you ever been robbed?

You actually think insurance will get you your value back? Never mind the time and investment needed.

How about just locking up criminals.

Tax payers? No. The American government? Yes.
🤡

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Tax payers? No. The American government? Yes. If you can find another way to make up for past unkept promises I'm all ears. I personally like the idea of a second homestead act. The federal government is holding on to a lot of land in the west. Better to use it for that instead of another garbage pipeline.
And in the USA's constitutional system...

...the government...

...is funded and elected....

...by whom?

If we can hold "the government" responsible for the actions of the past, then the party directly responsible for fighting to uphold slavery, for segregation, for Jim Crow, etc can be the first to pay up. Lead by example or quit whining about it.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

And because mass murderer are sooo common that we have to construct our whole system around that one outcome.
It's common enough that you people want to rewrite the Constitution

• Fire
Reactions: finowns

finowns

May 10, 2009
Whatever was owed was paid by the destruction of the South and the many, many, white men who died to free the slaves.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
How about just locking up criminals.
How about not just leaving it at that and actually trying to reintegrate criminals so they can be productive and not create a cycle of criminality.

It's common enough that you people want to rewrite the Constitution
I dont know what "you people" I am. I'm an individual with individual opinions.

I believe in stricter laws surrounding illegal sales and more aggressive destruction of illegal fire arms and weapons used in the process of breaking the law.

Federal background checks are something I'm on the fence about. Rifle bans are dumb and ineffective.

I also think its idiotic that some people think they are the heroes of their own western, or worse, heroes against tyranny.

Whatever was owed was paid by the destruction of the South and the many, many, white men who died to free the slaves.
It wasn't just the white men who fought in that war, but more importantly this is about promises, about America standing by its word. If America had done that a little more we may not be in the positions we find ourselves today. America has broken a lot of promises to a lot of people with good memories.

finowns

May 10, 2009
It wasn't just the white men who fought in that war, but more importantly this is about promises, about America standing by its word. If America had done that a little more we may not be in the positions we find ourselves today. America has broken a lot of promises to a lot of people with good memories.
It was white men who overwhelmingly fought and died in the civil war.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
AOC is the polar opposite of trump except the only similarities they share is neither of them should have been elected

Oct 26, 2018
Prisons are supposed to house criminals as both punishment and preventing them from interacting with the public until they are let out.

But if Americans have lots of guns, can't they just protect themselves?

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
This is very naive. Three highschool age males break into a 85 year old woman's house rob, beat ,and rape her, your going to rehabilitate that? In a more civilized time we'd take them outside and blow their heads off.
This.

In cases like this, I do not believe in rehabilitation. These people are mean, they are evil, they should be locked up so we can be safer.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
It's ironic that she wants to abolish prisons, when I want to build a special one just for her in my basement. I'd make sure her skin was well moisturized though.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
This.

In cases like this, I do not believe in rehabilitation. These people are mean, they are evil, they should be locked up so we can be safer.
Sure, in cases like those, but exactly how often do gangrapes of 85yos happen again?

We shouldn't build our punitive system around the absolute worst case scenario. The punishment should fit the crime, and in many cases the goal should be to reintegrate, because eventually those people have to return to society, and it does no one (aside from the prison individual complex) any good if they cant be contributing members of their community.

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
It's always going to depend on who you talk to.

If you go to a region where people are suffering as a direct consequence of crime then "I will be tough on crime" is going to be a vote winner.
Trust me, nobody wants to live down the street from that guy who has been charged many many times and keeps on walking free to cause more trouble.

If you go hang out with people in relatively rich and safe communities who are seldom, if ever, the victims of crime then they will have a more disconnected approach. Like, for the most part, criminals aren't going to be rehabilitated and re-assimilated into relatively nice, relatively rich, neighborhoods.

I do think it's interesting that so often the same people who are all for de-platforming and blacklisting and destroying lives over political differences are also the ones giving it "forgive and forget" when it comes to actual criminals.

You used the wrong pronouns? Well make sure you never work again!
You battered and robbed some people? Ah, well, you know, maybe it's just the systemic systems of whatever that's the real problem here.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

I'd be down for a system of easy times rehabilitation for financial/drug/minor offenses coupled with prison w/evaluated rehab for drug distribution/violent offenses, and immediate execution for those convicted of crimes deemed "beyond rehabilitation" I.E. serial killers/mass murderers/serial rapists/child molesters. That would be the best of both worlds, but could not be enacted for a plethora of reasons.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I.E. serial killers/mass murderers/serial rapists/child molesters.
I understand serial killers, mass murderers, and serial rapists, even though I'm not personally for the death penalty and think the biggest problem with such a swift and final judgement is the possibility of an innocent person being put to death. However do you really think a child molester is at that same level? A horrible crime to be sure, but as horrible as repeatedly raping, or taking the lives of countless other people? Surely some of them can be rehabilitated, if never allowed around children again. And what are the rules on this instant death penalty offense? Would a 21yo dating a 16yo be equivalent to a 40yo diddling a 3yo?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zog and crowbrow