• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AoE II: HD Edition - Forgotten Empires granted official expansion status

Bedlam

I heard the HD Edition turned out kinda... bad and overpriced? Did they fix the multiplayer lag?

But yeah, this sounds great as I'm mainly a SP gamer anyway.

HoosTrax

I suppose I should actually try playing AoE II again. (I preordered it, but the performance at launch was abysmal...brought my 2500K / GTX570 to its knees)

Finalizer

bueno.jpg

Been enjoying FE for a while now. Glad to see them managing to get as far as being officially sanctioned with all their hard work.

Also, if "New AI" includes "official capacity for Barbarian", then I'm gonna have a hearty lol at all the comp stompers introduced to a far more difficult AI opponent, heh.

I bought the HD edition of AoE 2 from Steam the other day, but it won't run on my computer. Turns out there's a bug where the game will not run if you only have the built in Intel GPU on your motherboard even though it's just a slightly updated version of a ~15 year old game. This is kind of absurd when you consider that I played this game in the 90s with average specced computers with no graphics card. That being said, AoE 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'd love to see some new content.

Sibylus

Banned
this is pretty amazing

have they added resolution options to AOEII HD? havent played since release
My installation is stuffed up all of a sudden, but going from memory: windowed and fullscreen, and you can arbitrarily resize the window really easily.

I heard the HD Edition turned out kinda... bad and overpriced? Did they fix the multiplayer lag?

Wow, awesome. Has performance gotten better since launch?
MS and the studios they've contracted to support the game have been very good about supplying the goods: perf is a lot better (definitely helps that they've unlocked the fps and added in an option for vsync), MP is a lot more stable, and they've even thrown in engine improvements like bigger selection sizes (it's at 60 units at present, I believe). It's a solid effort, and I honestly say it's part of what is really making this particularly irked Age fan come around.

Definitely a project worthy of your support too :)

This is seriously the most excited I've been in years. I was ecstatic that we got even the base game on Steam, but new maps, campains and civs? This is incredible!

zugzug

I'm amazed and shocked that the Devs are playing this game like daily on their own twitch tv channel. That's the kind of social media I can get behind.

This is sweet, and means I now have a reason to buy the game.

Granted, I could play FE for free on my old copy of AOE2... but this promotes FE to "official", which has a lot of fun implications for 1v1. :)

Reyne

Yup on this. Love this franchise. Nice to see that they are putting a little effort into the HD edition.

JordanKZ

Forgotten Empires included in AoE II?! Holy crap! As someone who's already put 50 hours into HD, this really excites me. I can't wait!!

Grief.exe

I bought the HD edition of AoE 2 from Steam the other day, but it won't run on my computer. Turns out there's a bug where the game will not run if you only have the built in Intel GPU on your motherboard even though it's just a slightly updated version of a ~15 year old game. This is kind of absurd when you consider that I played this game in the 90s with average specced computers with no graphics card. That being said, AoE 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I'd love to see some new content.

It has nothing to do with the power of the Intel GPU, but probably due to the lack of legacy support.

this is pretty amazing

have they added resolution options to AOEII HD? havent played since release

This is my question as well, have they fixed any of the issues that were there around launch?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, this is going to be paid DLC, or am I misunderstanding that last line? Because as cool as this is, it's pretty uncool to make a free fan project paid DLC.

Fitz

This is my question as well, have they fixed any of the issues that were there around launch?

They've done a pretty decent job, I haven't kept up for a month or so, but I believe they've patched most of the problems that were around at launch.

Sibylus

Banned
So wait, this is going to be paid DLC, or am I misunderstanding that last line? Because as cool as this is, it's pretty uncool to make a free fan project paid DLC.
The creators of said fan project are working on it alongside Skybox Labs and MS (who are also working on their own additions), this isn't a smash and grab for the latter two.

If it's priced right, I really don't mind that it will be paid DLC, even if it is a fan project. It will be worth it to have it directly integrated into the Steam version and Steamworks.

This has to be the longest time period between an original release and an official expansion.

Fake edit: Perhaps Everquest has a shout at that distinction as well, it was adding new content fairly recently.

Actual edit: Holy shit, they're actually still putting out expansions for Everquest after 14 and a half years. SOE is nothing if not dedicated.

ibgQ7c8t7xUeaS.gif

Sibylus

Banned
The multiplayer lag is fine now?
It's seemed fine to me for a while now, but as before, poor player connections are going to mean poor gameplay. I played a four person FFA with some Euros (I'm west coast Canada) earlier today and it seemed solid.

Ahmed

Will buy the moment is released. can not wait for the new campaigns (Specially Dracula and turks one).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You're paying for the HD. Like how AOE2:HD wasn't free, neither were the other expansions in the series, this is not a surprise at all.

Yeah, but this was a free fan expansion/mod, and now they're charging for it with the HD edition.

I understand paying for the game, and official expansions, and re-releases, but picking up a fan project and making it official, then charging for it... I don't really agree with that.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, but this was a free fan expansion/mod, and now they're charging for it with the HD edition.

I understand paying for the game, and official expansions, and re-releases, but picking up a fan project and making it official, then charging for it... I don't really agree with that.
The Forgotten is an admixture of FE content + Dev content, and both fan and dev alike are earning money from this. Forgotten Empires won't suddenly become un-free, either.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Forgotten is an admixture of FE content + Dev content, and both fan and dev alike are earning money from this. Forgotten Empires won't suddenly become un-free, either.

Brand new content does at least make it more acceptable than just porting FE over to the HD release.

Not to mention the only reason the game is alive after so many years is thanks to fan made patches that got rid of maphacking and new servers that replaced the zone. I have no problems supporting such practices.

Now if only I was as good as I use to be...and with study coming back this is probably the worse time to get into the game. =/

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Will buy the moment is released. can not wait for the new campaigns (Specially Dracula and turks one).

Same, though I think they'll just have Vlad Tepes commanding a host of Magyars rather than Wallachians, sadly.

leroidys

How in the world did I miss this? Amazing! This will be the first good strategy game to have the Hungarians ever AFAIK

Top Bottom