• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: A 2D Zelda On The Switch Is “Definitely A Possibility”

Gameinfomer asked about aonuma on the future of 2d Zelda, and he had this to say :

When we asked point-blank if there was a possibility that the 3DS Zelda teams were working on a new game for the Nintendo Switch, Aonuma said, “Yes, there is definitely a possibility.”

This is good news for classic fans of the series or anyone who worry Breath of the Wild has strayed too far from the original Zelda formula. While we’ve enjoyed everything we’ve seen in Breath of the Wild, we’re sure many fans would also be excited by the idea of seeing a follow up to 2013’s A Link Between Worlds on their television screens.

“There are definitely good things about the 2D world and the playstyles of the 2D world,” Aonuma says. “There are a lot of fans who enjoy that style. This Nintendo Switch style, which is the evolved style of gameplay is not necessarily… I want you to think of it more as an evolved style of 2D style. For the 3DS team, I am trying to make them think in a more evolved 2D-style approach."

“The handheld development team will not be phased out because of Nintendo Switch. Switch will allow the users to bring their home console on the go, but this doesn't mean handheld game development like Nintendo 3DS will be discontinued.”

“The 3DS team and the Wii U team have different approaches to game development, so I don’t necessarily want to combine them and have them think together, but rather have each think about what they can bring to Nintendo Switch from their own perspective.”

more at: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...n-the-switch-is-definitely-a-possibility.aspx

2D just in terms of movement or sprites and shit? I doubt we'd get another sprite Zelda from them. Probably just something like Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes.

MrFixIt

Would be great to have a 2D and 3D series in the Switch. Maybe even a game that can mix both would be interesting.

I'm honestly waiting for a good multiplayer Zelda, like Four Swords Adventures. TFH was honestly the worst Zelda game in the entire series.

This game would be from the team who made ALBW right? Cause that would be awesome.

And also confirms another 3DS team working on Switch now, which is what Nintendo should do right now, IMO.

It makes sense though?, The point of small Zelda titles in handhelds was to have a Zelda experience and now Switch already have one. And probably the best one for that matter

3DS Zelda resources could be used on a new IP or something

Edit: "Probably" added

Jacce

Banned
I would not be surprised if there was one more 3DS Zelda before we get there

EAD is done with 3DS. It's over. You will never see another internally EAD major first party 3DS game again. No doubt there.

The handful of Nintendo published games coming are all outsourced.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Incoming

Zelda: Switch to the Past
Zelda: Switch Between Worlds

2D just in terms of movement or sprites and shit? I doubt we'd get another sprite Zelda from them. Probably just something like Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes.

Yeah this was my question as well. I think you're right though that it'll be like ALBW. Though it brings up another question on pricing. Will they price it the same as BOTW or will it be cheaper?

Also how much will Switch games cost anyways?

Fliesen

Kimishima keeps saying that Switch isn't a replacement for 3DS yet all of his employees are giving a completely different impression.

realistically, they could just create another ALBW style game for the 3DS and release it on both platforms. I don't think anyone would mind the Switch version being 'held back' by the 3DS version in this case.
Neither would it act as a 'replacement'

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Kimishima keeps saying that Switch isn't a replacement for 3DS yet all of his employees are giving a completely different impression.

Release the Switch for the hardcore turkeys this year... Kill the 3DS, price drop/bundle up the Switch and start marketing as the 3DS successor next year. 3DS isn't as dead as the WiiU and they're not doing themselves any favors if they start announcing its death well in advance.

Yeah I was hoping that lower budget stuff like top-down Zelda wouldn't get abandoned on Switch. There's room for both, just charge the right price.

A 4 Swords Adventure (2 Swords?) Zelda would work great with the Switch since it comes with the joycons so you can always have at least two people playing.

Personally I like my traditional Zelda's to be 3D adventures (I've found it hard to get as engaged with the world in 2D Zelda's than the 3D ones), but the more Zelda the better! And I bet a 2D Zelda with the power of the Switch would look pretty amazing.

Yeah this was my question as well. I think you're right though that it'll be like ALBW. Though it brings up another question on pricing. Will they price it the same as BOTW or will it be cheaper?

Also how much will Switch games cost anyways?

Yeah, I think I can guarantee it will still use 3D models. There's no big studio I can think of that still use 2D art for their games after making the switch to 3D. I would love for Street Fighter VI to go back to sprites, but that ain't happening. The next KOF will probably be 3D too.

NoKisum

I'm down for a Zelda Four Swords/Triforce Heroes-esque game for Switch. Just get rid of TFH's puppet juggling system and make sure it has online support.

Schnozberry

Would be great to have a 2D and 3D series in the Switch. Maybe even a game that can mix both would be interesting.

I'm honestly waiting for a good multiplayer Zelda, like Four Swords Adventures. TFH was honestly the worst Zelda game in the entire series.

They should borrow the concept of the Star Trek TNG finale and have link battling a common enemy across three different universes and timelines, and have different art styles in each one. Would make for a trippy game.

Top Bottom