• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on the possibility of playable female characters in Zelda: 2017 Edition

Kin5290

She's the princess of a kingdom that she desperately tried and failed to prevent from falling into complete ruin. I think a breakdown is justified. I don't get how Link comforting her is somehow devaluing her — what else should he do?

I do hope Zelda has a more active role, but I think people are projecting their pre-existing feelings and expectations onto the trailer.
An emotional breakdown may be justified, but it doesn't necessarily need to be her defining image based on the marketing. I have less of a problem with the fact that she cries or needs comforting than I do with the fact that her crying and being comforted is basically all that she is shown doing in her first public appearance for this game.

Maybe the trailer is horribly misleading, and Breath of the Wild is about Zelda, who sets out to retake her stolen kingdom by sword and magic as an avenging Queen-in-Exile, with her right hand man Link by her side. But that's not exactly the image that we're given of her in her first major appearance.

Take another Japanese made game with marketing that had a ... questionable depiction of a female character: Metal Gear Solid 5. What we saw of Quiet in the trailers wasn't exactly all that far off from what we got of Quiet in the game.

Maybe they'll surprise us with a playable Zelda segment in BOTW. I'd love to play as Zelda. Impa would be cool, too. I have no interest in female Link.

zeldablue

Yeah, I think the sad eyebrows, the girly run and the cry combined into a certain feeling of "Rut ro." But I think if you look at it from a wider lens, you'd just come to the conclusion that the past when Hyrule was falling was pretty bleak.

I'm sure Zelda will just come up with another plan after she's done being upset about her failings.

Do Zelda and Link ever actually get together? How many times has that happened? Are they super inbred and that is why Link is a mute? The Zelda lore is so good.

The Links aren't related. The Zeldas are. Well...okay most of the Link's aren't related.

There shouldn't be too much inbreeding. e___e

Why does Nintendo consistently interpret requests for female Link as requests for a playable Zelda?

Even Nintendo gets Link and Zelda confused.

Link seems like the easiest character in the world to make a female version of and would give them such easy brownie points I am not why it never happened. Or why shit like Linkle got created.

But Nintendo gonna Nintendo. They live in a bubble in a bunker on another planet.

Even if gender-select for the protagonist is off the table, I still think a "second quest" where you play from Zelda's perspective would be really cool for this game.
DLC, maybe?

I hope they consider adding a gender-select for Link/the hero in future games. And, sure, let's have some spin-offs with female protagonists, too. (Just don't leave the main games out! I love the original concept of Link as the avatar who is shaped by the player and is a "link" between them and their game.)

Even if gender-select for the protagonist is off the table, I still think a "second quest" where you play from Zelda's perspective would be really cool for this game.
DLC, maybe?

I hope they consider adding a gender-select for Link/the hero in future games. And, sure, let's have some spin-offs with female protagonists, too. (Just don't leave the main games out! I love the original concept of Link as the avatar who is shaped by the player and is a "link" between them and their game.)

Link is not a player shaped avatar, he's a character. The only thing about him you could customize was his name and with BOTW and voice acting, even that is gone.

I don't understand why a game with a female protagonist would need to be a spin-off. Why can't Zelda be the protagonist in a main line Zelda game? I mean, it's called Zelda..

mlclmtckr

Banned
"Link can't be female because he is a character, not an avatar" makes zero sense. Link isn't even the same person across games. If he can have a new identity between titles why can't he have a different gender?

How much you wanna bet is was Miyamoto who single handedly shot down the idea of a female protagonist? And Aonuma and his team were down to clown.

Also give us a Majoras Mask esqu sequel with Zelda as the main character.

TLZ

Banned
Good this female link bs has been put to bed now. Never was never will.

Playable Zelda in the future? That's another story.

Link seems like the easiest character in the world to make a female version of and would give them such easy brownie points I am not why it never happened.
Because there's no real reason to change it.

At this point it's just tradition, I think. Just like how the Goron and Zora etc. have become a tradition.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ooooooh that snippet makes it sound a lot like Miyamoto shot down a female Link.

Rodin

I mean I totally understand peoples issue of it based on what's portrayed in the trailer. For one Zelda isn't shown in any sort of action roles nor is she shown in any sorts of substantial commanding roles.

This Zelda in all media that was someone doesn't come across as someone that could particularly take care of their own shit.
Oh yeah you're totally right, i mea... wait, what's going on here?

zeldalightguardian3du9l.png

zeldalightguardian2fubd6.png

Is... is she protecting a hurt Link while fighting that guardian? No way, she can't do shit.

Is Nintendo also trying to imply that boys can't take care of themselves?

I mean OoT Zelda was incompetent as all hell but she at least had plans and felt like someone that could largely take care of themselves if not for the fact Ganondorf was the baddest motherfucker around. Twilight Princess also helped you battle. This Zelda in all media that was someone doesn't come across as someone that could particularly take care of their own shit. She probably can in the game overall, or at least there's a lot more too it but based on what they've shown doesn't scream super reliable person.
Yeah i mean, the Calamity Ganon looks like a silly weak ass totally not menacing enemy.

totallynotmenacingcallyuyr.png

Maybe if they described him as some "primal evil thas has endured over the ages" that would explain why Zelda can't beat him alone (like OOT Zelda couldn't beat Ganondorf alone) and needs to wake up the hero that she calls "the light of Hyrule" or something like that, but against this joke of an enemy...

totallynotmenacingcal7lupt.png

she can't beat that alone? Yeah the team clearly had an agenda against women here

Her father in the trailer tells link to save her.
What? A father is worried about his child? And one that took a very, very dangerous path? Oh my god how dare you Nintendo

Maybe the trailer is horribly misleading, and Breath of the Wild is about Zelda, who sets out to retake her stolen kingdom by sword and magic as an avenging Queen-in-Exile, with her right hand man Link by her side.

Oh you mean like this

linkbowstozelda7zuuv.png

She's shown crying and breaking down (something the hero link has never been shown to do in all the media of the game).

An emotional breakdown may be justified, but it doesn't necessarily need to be her defining image based on the marketing. I have less of a problem with the fact that she cries or needs comforting than I do with the fact that her crying and being comforted is basically all that she is shown doing in her first public appearance for this game.

Or maybe they were trying to show that characters feel emotions in this game, even strong ones (something, btw, that the fanbase has been asking for at least a decade), and they used Zelda to do that since Link doesn't fucking speak. There's this little thing called "context", and people have this little habit of completely ignoring it when they decide to criticize something. A person saying "everything i've done until now, it was all for nothing!" doesn't exactly sound as someone who's just taking baths and crying because she broke her shoes or something. She lost her fucking kingdom, or something equally bad happened to her.

SystemUser

The bloodline has to be getting passed down somehow!

Is your avatar a Nintendo creation? Or are you both a Domino's pizza fan and a Nintendo fan? Nintendo needs a Fatal Fury HD. Ultra SSFII's 2 vs 1 mode reminds me of how the Fatal Fury new challenger worked.

2RZ9EUA.png

(I notice file name for your avatar image was SwitchPizza.jpg.)

But Link was conceived as an empty vessel that the player could insert themselves into. I know it's been said over and over again in this thread that the modern interpretation of Link is one where he's an established character, but beyond having audible gasps and more animated facial expressions, Link is still a blonde mute boy who is brave and adventurous. It's a huge stretch to compare him to characters like Geralt and Sheperd, and even roleplaying as Geralt offers much more variation in character choices than there is on the spectrum of Links.

Yep, it'd be pretty easy.

I'd take either though if we had to though, either would be refreshing after so many games. Though I don't really like her BOTW design all that much.

Maybe the trailer is horribly misleading, and Breath of the Wild is about Zelda, who sets out to retake her stolen kingdom by sword and magic as an avenging Queen-in-Exile, with her right hand man Link by her side. But that's not exactly the image that we're given of her in her first major appearance.

Take another Japanese made game with marketing that had a ... questionable depiction of a female character: Metal Gear Solid 5. What we saw of Quiet in the trailers wasn't exactly all that far off from what we got of Quiet in the game.

And Luna. Despite Tabata saying pretty much exactly what Aonuma just did. And then going "see, see she's got guns in her face in this new trailer, she's tough".

Good this female link bs has been put to bed now. Never was never will.

Playable Zelda in the future? That's another story.

Except that it's not another story, at least so far. Aonuma's shot it down (hard) every time. Including the latest ridiculous one "But then, what would Link do?"

It seems like it's become clear it's never going to happen at least until Aonuma (or maybe it's Miyamoto) is gone.

LordofPwn

playable or not i'm really digging Zelda's look in this game. but how dope would it be to play as Zelda in a Master quest or if they pulled a MGS2 on everyone, hell even pulling a "Last of Us" would be sweet. 6 weeks to go

Top Bottom