• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Zelda Wii U: "I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like OoT was."

Just curious: How many here have played A Link Between Worlds? Would that game be a step in the right direction? (Giving you almost all items from the get go, freedom to explore)

The bold is not an improvement, because there's little point in the adventure if the means of discovery is literally handed to you on a silver platter.

Put me in the camp that thought there was nothing wrong with ALBW's puzzles compared to the rest of the games, too.

georly

Just curious: How many here have played A Link Between Worlds? Would that game be a step in the right direction? (Giving you almost all items from the get go, freedom to explore)

While renting items offered a solution to being able to do dungeons in any order, it created two problems:

1. Dungeon difficulty didn't scale appropriately - they were, for the most part, all the same difficulty, enemy and puzzle-wise.
2. Each dungeon had to assume you only had the ONE item, so no puzzle had a solution which involved more than one item, making puzzles generally easier to figure out.

That said, ALBW is one of my favorite zelda games despite these two minor flaws. The benefit I got from being able to almost freely explore the entire world right from the get-go was worth it to me. I'm one who values overworld/exploring/npc-interaction over the dungeons/puzzle difficulty. I know there are many who value the opposite, and mainly just play zelda for the dungeons with everything else being the wrapping-paper around the dungeons.

Gsnap

The only thing I'd like them to keep from LBW is the mechanical variety of what the items do. And the various actions you perform while using them. It helped them be more about action than just about being keys. Everything else about it I wasn't much of a fan of. Item rentals wasn't good and having every dungeon in whatever order you want wasn't that great either. I think some dungeons in whatever order you want is good. Multiple Zelda games have already done that, and it works. But not all.

Guess Who

Banned
I'd like to see puzzles that make sense for the ingame-world, for Link. Again, Portal. Or Half-Life. Make puzzles more about "what I have to do", less about "what Aonuma and team want me to do".

It's hard to tell from this post if you've even played Portal or Half-Life because the puzzles in both of those series are just as unsubtle as anything in Zelda. "Look at this conveniently placed wood plank on a cylinder and these cinder blocks that weigh it down like a see-saw!" Portal's even less subtle, the entire testing facility conceit exists purely so the game has an excuse to have a bunch of box-and-button puzzles that wouldn't make any real world environmental sense.

disap.ed

I enjoyed ALBW more than any of the 3D Zeldas, it was also the first one I could motivate myself to play through since OoT on the N64.

Theosmeo

When Aonuma said they wanted to have a multiplayer element, is it generally assumed he meant Tri Force Heroes?

I kinda want a chill 2 player mode where player 2 controls Navi and grabs rupees/stuns enemies Mario Galaxy style, but I see how that could break puzzles. It was just so much fun for Galaxy, easily the best part of that game.

ika

I think ALBW is a good first step mixing the freedom of accessing a great part of the overworld since the beginning of the game, interesting things to do almost in every screen, and the ability of doing the dungeons in the order you want.

But it has some flaws, too: the map is 99% identical to ALTTP so when I started the game I already knew almost all of it (the sense of exploration and discovery secrets is damaged), and the dungeons are too easy (they should tier them in three or four difficulty levels so you can do 1-2-3 (easy ones) in any order, 4-5-6 (normal difficulty) in any order, 7-8-9 (hard ones) in any order and lastly the final dungeon that is only accessible when the others are completed. Other option I like would be let the dungeons with its own difficulty accesible from the start (like in the first LoZ) and leave it to the player, so he can explore and try it or leave it if it's too difficult for his actual level/itmes). That would need them to implement what LegendOfLex explained about dungeons being less puzzle-like and more maze-like, and less dependent of the items you get.

I prefer to get the items not from the start like in ALBW, but also not only in the main dungeons, which is becoming way too predictable. Maybe with NPCs and side stories, mini-dungeons/caves (the not essential items, but powerful ones). I think it's fine if the game starts with Sword, Shield, Bow and Arrows, and Bombs. And those being upgradable. So you can start doing basic combat/exploration.

Bump the thread with more info from the interview.

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonum...-came-to-be-considered-wiimote-controls-more/

Aonuma said:
Famitsu: And finally, please leave a message to the readers who are looking forward to this game.

Aonuma: While making the latest title for The Legend of Zelda, when I look at this remake, I feel like this is the origin point of the new title we’re making right now. After playing this game you may have some “Oh I see!” moments when playing the [upcoming] new game, so I’ll be glad if you play Twilight Princess HD while waiting in anticipation for the latest title of Legend of Zelda.

Famitsu: So I heard that the save data for this game that’s saved in the Wolf Link amiibo has some connections to the [upcoming] newest Legend of Zelda…

Aonuma: It’s not the save data itself, but “Part of the data saved in the Wolf Link amiibo can be brought over and used in the new title too”. For some people, when they play the new title, they might feel the urge to play Twilight Princess HD one more time.

Another thing. I was watching the developer diary 4 of TPHD, around 4:21 Aonuma also has similar comments about Zelda U.

Hmmm. I guess there are really some connections (in terms of concept or things we don't know) between TP and Zelda U.

Top Bottom