• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Zelda Wii U: "I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like OoT was."

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://kotaku.com/an-update-on-zeld...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

He's talking about the change of going from say rice (eastern cuisine) to roast potatoes (western cuisine), that one is different from the other. It's not a literal statement about western influence.

The last we heard the Zelda Wii U was delayed, which is something Nintendo always does. Wondering how things are going? In the most recent issue of Famitsu, series producer Eiji Aonuma was asked just that. “Busy,” he replied.

Continuing, he said, “When we did Skyward Sword for the Wii, at the end stages of development, I was in charge of the characters’ dialogue and the in-game text. And, now as well, it’s like it was then. I had to work on text today, too,” he said with a laugh.

“But, the game has really taken shape, and things have gotten easier. That means things are progressing well.”

According to Aonuma, the keyword this time is “something new.” Ocarina of Time was a huge leap for the Zelda series and since then Aonuma explained, “I think the base of our secret sauce has always been Ocarina of Time. But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.”

“Please look forward to it, because I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like Ocarina of Time was,” Aonuma added.

Previously, Kotaku reported that the new Zelda will be open-world and might not have the puzzles players have come to expect.

So Zelda Wii U is in the end stages of development, if I get what he's saying?

But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised
Fuck yeah, climb towers to reveal the map

Sounds like the game is far from being finished lmao..

FelipeMGM

''But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food. Perhaps, players will be surprised.”

Zelda U to be a futuristic FPS starring [INSERT FAMOUS ACTOR] as a villain confirmed

Luigiv

Aonuma doing text again? I don't know how I feel about that. The dialogue he wrote for SS (the skyloft stuff at the beginning) wasn't particularly great.

Aonuma doing text again? I don't know how I feel about that.

image.php

Blobbers

All that western comment makes me think of is repetitive and redundant sidequests that plague so many open world games. And also
dun dun dun
Linktective Mode

Kouichi

That's exactly what I want to hear. The main reason I'm excited for this Zelda is how different I expect things will be with the open-world design.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Xenoblade X open-world design had a western flavor to it, didn't it? That's how I see Aonuma's quote.

zeromcd73

Time to take notes from Fire Emblem. Let me waifu Zelda and give me the ability the invite her to my room to pat her head.
Ganon-chan too

Dialogue options like Mass Effect chu chu

Zareka

The more they talk about Western influence for Zelda U the less excited I get. If we actually get Zelder Scrolls I'm gonna be incredibly disappointed.

Previously, Kotaku reported that the new Zelda will be open-world and might not have the puzzles players have come to expect.
Can't have a Zelda game without puzzles D:
Zelda has always felt fairly western outside of its weird moments.
A lot of western games use Zelda as a base.
I do hope all these ideas turn out well. I like what little we've seen so far

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Clearing out a dungeon will uncover the area on the map. Also Link has now a pistol and he can step into the Animus.

Pyrokai

All that western comment makes me think of is repetitive and redundant sidequests that plague so many open world games. And also
dun dun dun
Linktective Mode

Maybe that "padding" everyone has been talking about can be sidequests now. I'd be down. Just reward me and make the quest interesting!

This is also relevant to this discussion, I think: Apparently Twilight Princess HD influenced Zelda U:

http://www.designntrend.com/article...-u-features-twilight-princess-hd-nintendo.htm

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can't have a Zelda game without puzzles D:
Zelda has always felt fairly western outside of its weird moments.
A lot of western games use Zelda as a base.
I do hope all these ideas turn out well. I like what little we've seen so far

I don't think that means much.

Skyward Sword didn't have a single block-pushing or torch-lighting puzzle but it still had puzzles.

That's how I see that quote.

Top Bottom