• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: "Open air games will be the standard for Zelda"

Trago

Good.

And get rid of weapon degradation.

And give us full voice acting.

And meatier dungeons, even though I loved the shrines.

I'm TOTALLY down with Breath of the Wild setting the standard going forward, but I also hope that they experiment with the types of "Open-Air" environments we'll see. I hope the next Zelda is closer to a Majora's Mask or a Wind Waker. Use the mechanics of Breath of the Wild, sure, but let's use them in new interesting ways that allow us to get out of traditional Hyrule for the next game.

zenspider

Take the 120 shrines and instead make 20 long, expertly crafted, unique dungeons and I'm good with it.

I prefer it this way. Makes the adventure more organic and unexpected like Okami. Maybe flesh out or make more interesting dungeon-esques like the
three Labryinths, Eventide Island and Thyphlo Ruins, Hyrule Castle
,etc.

Going back to the big, monolithic, item-locked dungeons seems like a step backwards.

Kindekuma

Banned
This is great news. After going from a game with the freedom like BotW to something like Skyward Sword again it would feel like a totally ass backwards way of thinking to make new games with the linear formula.

More dungeons in the next one pls.

Hindl

Awesome. Put a Hyrule Castle in every region and we'll be perfect

The hell. This is the first I've heard of this.

From an interview a week after E3 last year

In fact, Miyamoto and the Nintendo team came up with the term ”Open Air" to describe Breath of the Wild. It's a term that Nintendo Senior Product Marketing Manager Bill Trinen apparently uses a lot.

Trinen elaborated on the idea of ”Open Air" as a term to describe the art, gameplay, music and feel of the new Zelda game.

”I look at this game and I see a world that is fully integrated into the exploration and the adventure. It's not just a world that you're passing through. It's sort of a world that you're a part of. So much of the adventure and exploration is in this outdoor space, and the theme of wilderness collectively seemed like 'Open Air' was the right fit for it."
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/legend-zelda-breath-wild-more-open-air-open-world-game-542178

watershed

Banned
Sounds great. BOTW is a great new foundation to build on, like OoT was way back when. I just hope Nintendo continues to build on what's good about it. I don't want to see the Zelda series go backwards or stumble like it did with TP or SS.

Burny

So now we have another 20 years of BoTW style games.

I'm probably OK with that to be honest.

Somewhere between 10 and 20 years from now, Nintendo might even have hardware, that allows them to reach Horizon: Zero Dawn visual complexity with a Zelda game. I'd like to see that. ;)

Mokujin

I was just this morning listening to Castle int the Sky OST and thinking about BotW and SS... That comment really seems relevant to my interests.

Can...you guys just make the Majora's Mask for BotW? I want you guys to get fuckin' WEIRD WITH IT

Yeah it just occurred to me this may well encourage them to really break away from the traditional regions now its been done this way once.

Not that they didn't fill in the gaps with some variety already.

kunonabi

I really liked Hyrule Castle, but it had no puzzles whatsoever. A mixture of the unique puzzles found in the DBs with the more elaborated Layout of Hyrule Castle would be ideal.

No new enemies either. It was waste of time just like all the other shrines and beasts.

Lose the weapon breaking thing.

Likely won't happen while the games are so open. If they want there to be no actual blockades to progression, breaking is necessary, as they won't want you to be able to walk in to the hyrule castle equivalent, grab one of the best weapons and use it forever, utterly breaking all semblence of game balance.

Trago

Yeah it just occurred to me this may well encourage them to really break away from the traditional regions now its been done this way once.

Open world Termina let's goo!

New characters and fully voiced Witcher 3 tier side quests. Do it Nintendo!

Jeffrey

Unless they really do a drastically different world, not sure I can handle another zelda in this style.

At least for 5 years or so.

cackhyena

Not being able to climb up every thing will be a problem for me in other adventure games moving forward.
Yep. I've wanted it for so long in say, Elder Scrolls. Gimme a thief class that can over time,as you level up, scale things other classes can't.

Very glad this is the new norm for Zelda. I'd never touch the series again if it went back to SS/TP style.

Kinsei

Banned
Likely won't happen while the games are so open. If they want there to be no actual blockades to progression, breaking is necessary, as they won't want you to be able to walk in to the hyrule castle equivalent, grab one of the best weapons and use it forever, utterly breaking all semblence of game balance.

They should have blockades to progression though. Not hard blocks but definitely include skill gates. If someone can get to an end game area and get a powerful weapon then they deserve to have the other areas in the game become easier.

They also need to get rid of enemy and boss scaling. That shit is really dumb.

I was just this morning listening to Castle int the Sky OST and thinking about BotW and SS... That comment really seems relevant to my interests.

If they manage to make dungeons like SS in the next Botw-oriented Zelda... Oh boy, I need to calm my heart.

213372bu

Banned
I love this game to death, but this is not what I wanted to hear.

Zelda is a great series because each game has a unique identity game design wise.

BotW is fine, but it doesn't fit the dungeon/boss design/OST that has consistently been the staples of the series.

BotW is great because it isn't the status quo. I'd hate to see BotW 2 next.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck. Yes. I want them to evolve this to near perfection. I'm sure with enough time they can find a way to fit regular dungeons too. Perhaps alternate between big and small worlds, the smaller ones more densely packed, with more dev time given to dungeons and larger worlds with a bigger emphasis on exploration :D

Yep. I've wanted it for so long in say, Elder Scrolls. Gimme a thief class that can over time,as you level up, scale things other classes can't.

Very glad this is the new norm for Zelda. I'd never touch the series again if it went back to SS/TP style.

I think that was a thing in Daggerfall

They should have blockades to progression though. Not hard blocks but definitely include skill gates. If someone can get to an end game area and get a powerful weapon then they deserve to have the other areas in the game become easier.

They also need to get rid of enemy and boss scaling. That shit is really dumb.

Where is there boss scaling?

No new enemies either. It was waste of time just like all the other shrines and beasts.

It did have the turret guardians but yeah, I was really hoping to see a Darknut or Iron Knuckles in this game.

Crayolan

There was a unique guardian type only found in Hyrule Castle. I'm pretty sure Hyrule Castle is actually the only location with a unique non-boss enemy in the game.

DaBuddaDa

And get rid of weapon degradation.

And give us full voice acting.

And meatier dungeons, even though I loved the shrines.

Degradation needs to be tweaked to be less frustrating but I agree that there has to be some sort of degradation to work within the open world framework.

Meatier dungeons: yes!

NO on the voice acting. The English VA in BOTW is easily the worst part of the game. Everyone sounds like a shitty Saturday morning cartoon character. Awful awful awful across the board. Completely ruined every scene with Zelda especially.

rucury

Banned
I'm cool with this but I want the next game to be smaller in scale. Not because BotW was too big but just for a change of pace.

I want the Majora's Mask version of BotW. Smaller world, more intricate stories, shorter overall length, more side stuff... OMG I would explode from joy.

Top Bottom