• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: "Open air games will be the standard for Zelda"

Rough translation of an interview in this week's Famitsu:

Famitsu: Making the next Zelda game might be more difficult if you choose to make it an open-air game. What will evolve open-air? How will you make future dungeons? What will the next Zelda title be like?

Aonuma: I think that, in the future, open air games will be the standard for Zelda.

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/849243584834482177

Send me off to find 900 korok seeds if old

OnPoint

Hopefully there's more dungeons and a greater variety in bosses in the next one. This is great news for the franchise.

If they can pack a new game with 8-9 dungeons on the level of Hyrule Castle (and much more variety in bosses) I think it could definitely surpass BotW.

Got no problem with that. If they evolve the open air concept even further the game series will stay relevant for the next 30 years.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean they clearly struck a chord. They'd have to be fucking insane to ditch the most interesting Zelda they've made since Majora's Mask.

Expand the dungeons, enemy variety, and maybe bring back some classic equipment (hookshot etc) and they're fucking golden for a follow-up.

everything was open world.jpg

Also I hope shrines, etc are actually integrated in the world next time and not just magical chambers.

Mihos

Gold Member
Lose the weapon breaking thing.
And give me an Ocarina to stop the damn rain when I need to

Looking forward to more Interior designed areas from them actually

They certainly have a lot of room to grow from what they created with breath of the wild

Yukinari

They need to bring back the idea of dungeon items that have multiple uses outside of its dungeon but dont make encounters rely on those items. No more going back to "hit monster in weak spot with item".

And yeah we need better dungeons honestly. They are not the highlight of this game.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Breath of the Wild has made me a Zelda fan again. Excited about where they'll take the series from here

Maxinas

Improve everything that BotW got right, and greatly improve everything that it got wrong, and it's another GOTG.

Kinsei

Banned
That sucks. I was hoping we'd continue to get traditional 3D Zelda games alongside the open world ones.

Hopefully they can improve the open world formula because while fun BotW is nowhere close to the best 3D Zelda games.

RSP

At the speed they are developing Zelda games, we might see another one just before the end of Switch's lifespan.

Zedark

If they can pack a new game with 8-9 dungeons on the level of Hyrule Castle (and much more variety in bosses) I think it could definitely surpass BotW.

Basically this (although I haven't done Hyrule Castle yet, only scaled a part of it one time). The game does what it does almost perfectly in my opinion, but it could use a few more dungeons to change things up a bit more. Other than that, this is great news!

joesiv

Lose the weapon breaking thing.
And give me an Ocarina to stop the damn rain when I need to

Ummm... yeah! Different songs for different weather, and time of day! Would make taking screenshots a breeze :)

Maybe for calling my horse too...

Schlomo

He also said after Skyward Sword, motion controls would be the new standard and he couldn't imagine abandoning them. They will always adapt to what they think people want most at the respective time.

Kebiinu

Banned
Sounds like good news to me. There's so much flexibility with an open world format, and I have no doubt they can improve the series even more. Lowkey makes me excited for the DLC.

oti

Banned
I approve. I'd like to see some kind of spin-off series that was more directed than open world though.

Yes, I liked Skyward Sword.

LiK

Just need to improve the tech. Less pop-ins/fade-ins and also improve framerate in some dense areas. Hopefully making it Switch only will help with that.

Burny

Good.

No going back to gating by means of asinine items. Tie them to the dungeons if you must, but leave that bullshit out of the overworld. Climbing and gliding is a revelation!

Now, what about diving and actual boats?

Will they really abandon overhead Zelda?

Didn't he also say that "portable" Zelda would still exist at some point? Overhead entries have a lot of room to evolve as well. For one, drop the "everything is a rectangular" rubbish. That's literally limiting the games to 1994 design. Drop the "change through scrolling screens" aspect. Not necessary anymore, as they can make a connected and freely traversable world just like in BotW, without loading squences between smallish areas.

No reason to drop the "lower production value" line, but there's a ton they can do to finally to leave all the unnecesary aspects enforced by (S)NES tech behind.

Take the 120 shrines and instead make 20 long, expertly crafted, unique dungeons and I'm good with it.

I get what you want but the game is desgined with that points as fast travel as a core element.

Breath of the Wild is the must fun open world game that I played (and I loathe those games) so I welcome that news.

Peltz

Will they really abandon overhead Zelda?
I think he said "standard" deliberately. OOT was the previous standard, but they never fully abandoned 2D Zelda.

Edit:

He also said after Skyward Sword, motion controls would be the new standard and he couldn't imagine abandoning them. They will always adapt to what they think people want most at the respective time.

Well now...

They need to bring back the idea of dungeon items that have multiple uses outside of its dungeon but dont make encounters rely on those items. No more going back to "hit monster in weak spot with item".

And yeah we need better dungeons honestly. They are not the highlight of this game.

I thought the Elephant area was awesome even though it was very very short

phanphare

Banned
aonuma man...

giphy.gif

you the real mvp

Fandangox

I really liked Hyrule Castle, but it had no puzzles whatsoever. A mixture of the unique puzzles found in the DBs with the more elaborated Layout of Hyrule Castle would be ideal.

I'm cool with this but I want the next game to be smaller in scale. Not because BotW was too big but just for a change of pace.

Top Bottom