• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma sheds more light on Majora Mask 3D. (Fishing in 2 places, New 3DS tease, etc)

A little worrying that they may make it too easy, but I'm happy to hear that it sounds primarily like they're only adding changes to dialogue for the most part. I'm interested to see the boss change as well, but I'm also a little worried because I cannot recall any boss that I had particular trouble with. Likely Gyorg though since he/she was fixated upon in the trailer.

Fishing sounds fun! So long as they make it make sense within the game world I'm down. And if N3DS features include 60fps and camera controls I am definitely going in on that!

KarmaCow

People expecting 60fps for the n3DS are setting themselves up for disappointment. It's not that much of upgrade over the 3DS.

I'd take a dungeon instead, honestly...

I'm sure they had both on the table because they can just pump one out like nothing.

Why wouldn't he just say what new 3ds adds to it? It's not like anyone is going to be able to buy this before new 3ds is available anyway

Holmes

The boss being changed is probably Gyorg. I've beat MM countless times and I still can't quite remember how that fight progresses, lol. And they probably added that eye to his mouth for a reason.
Just shoot an arrow at him when he jumps over you and then Zora shock him when he's stunned. It's so easy that I don't want them to change anything about it...no way I'm going down there as a Zora if I don't have to.

@MUWANdo

Banned
who gives a shit about fishing? I've never fished in a zelda game unless I was forced to complete it to get an item/piece of heart/what have you...

please add a remixed mode or something..

It's me, I'm the dude who cares about fishing.

I'm just glad it's not a New 3DS exclusive. I was really sweating bullets when they first revealed it.

Why though? It was revealed in a worldwide direct. New 3DS hasn't "officially" been revealed outside of Japan and Australia. For all intents and purposes it does not exist here in NA. To reveal MM3D for something that isnt officially recognized in this part of the world doesnt make sense now does it?

who gives a shit about fishing? I've never fished in a zelda game unless I was forced to complete it to get an item/piece of heart/what have you...

They're not going to add new features or modes without incentives to play them, you definitely unlock something

Ozium

Some ideas for possible changes in line with what Aonuma described:

- Make it so you keep ALL of your items when you travel back in time, including disposable items like bombs and arrows. The bank would simply become a way to exceed the capacity of your wallet. The Trading Post would still be good for when you want to replenish disposable items but don't wan to bother cutting grass in Termina Field.

this would be AWFUL

Jamix012

Untimeddungeons. Untimeddungeons. Untimeddungeons. Untimeddungeons. Untimeddungeons. PleeeeaaaaseUntimeddungeons.

I really hope if they decide to do this, they'll make like an "N64 Mode" and an "easy mode." Please just offer me new features without taking shit away.

Some ideas for possible changes in line with what Aonuma described:

- At the beginning of the game, Link chases Skull Kid through the Lost Woods. Turn this into a quick tutorial, similar to the Kokiri Forest in Ocarina of Time. They could accomplish this by turning the chase into an obstacle course, where you learn basic maneuvers to make it from Point A to Point B. The game is not on a timer at this point, so it's a good place to learn, even if the chase adds urgency.

- Once in Clock Town, add unmissable cutscenes where NPCs underscore key details. They could point you to the Scarecrow in West Clock Town, so you learn how to use the Inverted Song of Time. They could clearly explain how the game is played: Make a bit of progress, acquire a new item or reach a new warp point, and then reset time and make more progress from there.

- Make it so you keep ALL of your items when you travel back in time, including disposable items like bombs and arrows. The bank would simply become a way to exceed the capacity of your wallet. The Trading Post would still be good for when you want to replenish disposable items but don't wan to bother cutting grass in Termina Field.

- Simplify saving by making owl statues the only way to save, similar to ALBW and SS. This works better for a pick-up-and-play portable title. You also don't need to explain two forms of saving like in the original.

God I know you mean well, but I really REALLY hate most of these suggestions. Like I'd rather just play the PAL 17 FPS version than a game with the last 2 suggestions. The first is ok, but seems pointless. I think when most people think of MM as difficult they're not stumped by the controls.

ReyVGM

Hopefully they will shorten or simplify that annoying Deku Scrub tutorial.

Several friends of mine, that loved Ocarina, didn't play Majora's Mask past the starting point due to that ridiculous Deku Scrub "tutorial" in which you need to find a bunch of kids hiding around town.

I loved the entire game, except that opening part.

Neiteio

this would be AWFUL
How would keeping your disposable items be "AWFUL?" In practical terms, losing your items meant rolling around Termina Field as a Goron to quickly get back your bombs and arrows on the first day. They might as well let you keep those items. Like I said, the bank still has its purpose, allowing you to save up for key items like the All-Night Mask.

Ozium

the timed dungeons and the 3 day cycle are the entire premise of the game design. why would they remove it? please don't remove it...

Neiteio

God I know you mean well, but I really REALLY hate most of these suggestions. Like I'd rather just play the PAL 17 FPS version than a game with the last 2 suggestions. The first is ok, but seems pointless. I think when most people think of MM as difficult they're not stumped by the controls.
MM is my favorite Zelda game. It's in my Top Five, straight up. I love the game, but I really doubt there'd be anything lost by 1) sparing players the need to chop grass in Termina Field to get their arrows and bombs back, and 2) allowing them to hard-save at the Owl Statues. For the second point, yeah, people could cheat the system by resetting from the owl statue when they fail an event, but you know what? That's on the player. Those of us who want an authentic experience can still have it by -not- cheating the system. And what's gained is more flexible saving that makes more sense given this is a pick-up-and-play portable title, where the battery could run out at inconvenient times.

Weiss

Banned
I wouldn't mind extending the unaltered time to Inverted length, and make the Inverted Song of Time last for even longer.

It would also be pretty awesome if using the Song of Double Time let you pinpoint which exact hour you'd like to travel to.

Dimmle

Majora's Mask had roguelike elements before they came into vogue. To ditch those completely would be crazy given how many games rely on those same hooks today.

I'd be shocked if they make fundamental, non-optional changes to things like the three day premise and the passage of time.

What they will probably do is add in hard-saves (or ideally, temp-saves that work anywhere) and add some degree of auto-control to things like the Goron rolling on the ice bridge.

Jamix012

How would keeping your disposable items be "AWFUL?" In practical terms, losing your items meant rolling around Termina Field as a Goron to quickly get back your bombs and arrows on the first day. They might as well let you keep those items. Like I said, the bank still has its purpose, allowing you to save up for key items like the All-Night Mask.

The bomb mask loses it's purpose, for one. Also the challenge of getting the All-Night Mask doesn't come from getting 500 rupees (because that's easy as shit), but from actually getting a wallet that can hold that much. So the bank DOES loses it's one purpose of saving forward money. The whole thing also reduces the impact of turning back time. When you choose to turn back time you're making a conscious decision based on the pros and cons of doing so at the time and this changes the whole dynamic of that decision.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if any of the stuff you mentioned gets it's own mode, just please leave that stuff out of the base "N64 version" mode, if there is such a mode.

MM is my favorite Zelda game. It's in my Top Five, straight up. I love the game, but I really doubt there'd be anything lost by 1) sparing players the need to chop grass in Termina Field to get their arrows and bombs back, and 2) allowing them to hard-save at the Owl Statues. For the second point, yeah, people could cheat the system by resetting from the owl statue when they fail an event, but you know what? That's on the player. Those of us who want an authentic experience can still have it by -not- cheating the system. And what's gained is more flexible saving that makes more sense given this is a pick-up-and-play portable title, where the battery could run out at inconvenient times.

MM is literally my favourite game of all bar none. It DOES have flaws and is by no means perfect but I believe there is stuff lost by implementing your suggestions. Give people a mode with hard saves, non-timed dungeons and items carrying over and call it "new mode" like they did in SF64 3D or "easy mode" if they want. If you're running out of battery a suspend save is still more than enough, so being on a handheld is not really an excuse. If you want to make a compromise maybe make it so that you can suspend save anywhere? Easy, no battery life lost.

Grizzo

Fishing in OOT was boring. I always found it to be a chore.

Other than that I'm curious about those N3DS special abilities.

Neiteio

I wouldn't mind extending the unaltered time to Inverted length, and make the Inverted Song of Time last for even longer.

It would also be pretty awesome if using the Song of Double Time let you pinpoint which exact hour you'd like to travel to.
I think they hit a sweet spot with the current length. Any longer, and waiting for certain events would drag on and on... well, unless they change the Song of Double Time so that you can choose the precise hour, rather than skipping forward a day. Think of how Xenoblade Chronicles handled time, only in this case, you could only move time forward.

Also, it's worth noting that if they change how quickly/slowly time passes, they'd have to adjust the rate at which the NPCs walk through town. Although that's perfectly doable, and they're probably already adjusting that since Clock Town is now larger than before.

Neiteio

The bomb mask loses it's purpose, for one. Also the challenge of getting the All-Night Mask doesn't come from getting 500 rupees (because that's easy as shit), but from actually getting a wallet that can hold that much. So the bank DOES loses it's one purpose of saving forward money. The whole thing also reduces the impact of turning back time. When you choose to turn back time you're making a conscious decision based on the pros and cons of doing so at the time and this changes the whole dynamic of that decision.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if any of the stuff you mentioned gets it's own mode, just please leave that stuff out of the base "N64 version" mode, if there is such a mode.
It really comes down to what other changes are made. They could tweak prices, wallet sizes, item frequency, etc., to balance the game around whatever changes are made to make the game more inviting to new players.

I liked MM's impermanent inventory because it makes it the only Zelda where you actually have to think about things like that. I like that Majora's Mask is about careful preparations, not blind forward movement. I say nay to that idea.

Escalario

Banned
Losing ammo, rupees, and dungeon progress after each cycle but retaining a set of permanent gear to give a sense of progression; sounds like a light roguelike to me.

It's kind of a stretch, but I guess it could be seen that way. I've played quite a few roguelikes since the early '90s, but not a single one made me lose my disposable items after saving ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dimmle

Removing that risk/reward factor would turn Majora's Mask into Ocarina of Time with four dungeons. I think hints to help in the more infamously cryptic spots are more than adequate for new players. You can't sacrifice the central source of tension in the game.

Neiteio

If it were up to me, they wouldn't change how the game plays. But I'm just trying to guess at what they might do to "streamline" the game for new players or players who were deterred the first time.

For better or for worse, I suspect that a number of changes will simply be reducing confusion by reducing the number of caveats. So rather than explaining two ways to save, there is just one. Rather than there being two types of items (ones you keep and ones you lose), there's just one.

It's just a guess. You can hope I'm off the mark. Like I said, I'd rather they didn't change anything where the core gameplay is concerned.

Dimmle

It's kind of a stretch, but I guess it could be seen that way. I've played quite a few roguelikes since the early '90s, but not a single one made me lose my disposable items after saving ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Some make you lose everything and there is no save feature. Majora's Mask hardly sounds harsh in contrast.

Jamix012

It really comes down to what other changes are made. They could tweak prices, wallet sizes, item frequency, etc., to balance the game around whatever changes are made to make the game more inviting to new players.

like I said, I'm kind of with you. Basically as long as any changes to the overall 3 day time limit structure and general difficulty of the game is segmented into its own "new/easy mode" or whatever. Make the game more accessible to people through that, but all I want personally is them not to fuck with it at all in some sort of "N64 mode" version, similar to what was done in SF64 3D.

I'm not against segmenting the game into 2 separate modes like that so more people can get into the game. Just don't introduce things that make stuff easier like you've explained and make it compulsory for the player.

If they want to actually change things, the first priority should be the Gibdo well.

Neiteio

Removing that risk/reward factor would turn Majora's Mask into Ocarina of Time with four dungeons. I think hints to help in the more infamously cryptic spots are more than adequate for new players. You can't sacrifice the central source of tension in the game.
I think MM lost a lot of people with the first 72-hour cycle. You're a (literal) scrub, can't slow down time, can't use your usual abilities, and the chain of events you must follow is rather strange:
Find Great Fairy in North Clock Town --> Retrieve the Stray Fairy at the Laundry Pool or in East Clock Town --> Get magic power, shoot down balloon --> Play hide and seek with the Bombers --> Use password to enter sewers --> Look through telescope at Astral Observatory and retrieve the Moon's Tear --> Trade the tear to the Business Scrub for the Land Title Deed to reach the top of the Clock Tower on the Final Night --> Spit bubble at Skull Kid to get back your Ocarina and return to the Dawn of the First Day.
They could probably have a few more NPC hints making what to do a bit more clear.

One addition I wouldn't mind is a Heart Piece notebook.

Of all the Zelda games that need a way to track heart pieces, this is it.

There are what, eighty of them?

Eusis

Losing ammo, rupees, and dungeon progress after each cycle but retaining a set of permanent gear to give a sense of progression; sounds like a light roguelike to me.
Yeah, there's definitely shades of that kind of design. And games like Diablo arguably have similar calls too, though in that case it's mainly randomized dungeon and in a sense the loot unless you're on hardcore.

Well as a kid gave me a reason to go to the bank and get my items right from the shop right away. Otherwise I just let the rupees waste there.

Dimmle

I think MM lost a lot of people with the first 72-hour cycle. You're a (literal) scrub, can't slow down time, can't use your usual abilities, and the chain of events you must follow is rather strange:
Find Great Fairy in North Clock Town --> Retrieve the Stray Fairy at the Laundry Pool or in East Clock Town --> Get magic power, shoot down balloon --> Play hide and seek with the Bombers --> Use password to enter sewers --> Look through telescope at Astral Observatory and retrieve the Moon's Tear --> Trade the tear to the Business Scrub for the Land Title Deed to reach the top of the Clock Tower on the Final Night --> Spit bubble at Skull Kid to get back your Ocarina and return to the Dawn of the First Day.
They could probably have a few more NPC hints making what to do a bit more clear.
Yeah, it's completely bizarre. Honestly, they could only change that segment and it would be a vastly improved experience for first timers.

Neiteio

Yeah, it's completely bizarre. Honestly, they could only change that segment and it would be a vastly improved experience for first timers.
Agreed. Although I personally love the first 72-hour cycle, so I hope they keep the chain of events the same, but just have the NPC dialogue offer more hints about what to do. Like there should be several people in South Clock Town, right outside the Clock Tower, who encourage you to visit the Great Fairy in North Clock Town. And then after you meet her, there should be several NPCs in North Clock Town who mention seeing Stray Fairies in East Clock Town and the Laundry Pool. And so on. Basically make it so the inquisitive player can more quickly find the clues necessary to successfully complete the first 72-hour cycle.

Ithil

The fishing in OOT was extremely popular as a relaxing minigame.

You should try fishing in TP on the Wii. It was pretty fun
well for me it was.

Neiteio

I remember I loved the fishing minigame in OoT so much that I made a rather comprehensive "fishing handbook" out of loose-leaf paper stapled together, lol. It had details on the infamous Hylian loach and everything. That place was magical to me. I think it was something about how serene it seemed with the slow passage of time and the skittish behavior of the fish.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I hope that they remove the time mechanic, get rid of masks, make 5 more dungeons, and let us play as Adult Link.

SegaShack

Honestly new 3DS will probably just be C stick and more buttons. When Nintendo is asked why they don't also use circle pad pro they will just laugh at all the old 3DS owners.

I hope that they remove the time mechanic, get rid of masks, make 5 more dungeons, and let us play as Adult Link.
Hope this is a joke post, giving me a heart attack.

Top Bottom