• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Switch doesn't mean that the concept of a dedicated handheld will disappear

Peltz

I thought so originally, but they've been pretty serious about driving this point home and when they announced Fire Emblem Warriors was coming the 3DS this just convinced me. I really think they're trying to keep people's expectations in check, but folks aren't listening. I fully expect there to be another handheld device in the future that is priced accordingly and may not be a subset of the Tegra line.
You're nuts and are falling for the PR speak.

I thought so originally, but they've been pretty serious about driving this point home and when they announced Fire Emblem Warriors was coming the 3DS this just convinced me. I really think they're trying to keep people's expectations in check, but folks aren't listening. I fully expect there to be another handheld device in the future that is priced accordingly and may not be a subset of the Tegra line.

That would be such a dumb decision by them, but you know what- it's certainly a possibility. I still think it will be a Switch lite or Switch mini that shares a library, and will be part of the Switch family of devices that Kimishima thinks could reach over 100 million sales.

EDarkness

You're nuts and are falling for the PR speak.

Nah. I'm excited for the NS and have one pre-ordered. If they do a full fledged handheld I may get that, too. Depends on the games. I just think people need to not be stuck on this idea that there won't be a handheld released in the future. Keep your expectations in check, folks.

That would be such a dumb decision by them, but you know what- it's certainly a possibility. I still think it will be a Switch lite or Switch mini that shares a library, and will be part of the Switch family of devices that Kimishima thinks could reach over 100 million sales.

I HATE using this line, but one thing we ALL should have learned about Nintendo is that they go against what we expect a lot of the time. All of us could end up being wrong, or partially right. You just never know with them. I guess that's what makes talking about them so interesting in the first place. This is Nintendo we're talking about....

Seriously, what made people think otherwise? Like, everything Nintendo has put out says it's a home console first. Were you guys just ignoring all of this?

EDIT: After reading through more of this thread... yeah, y'all ignored that.

This is not what I want to hear. I want 1 Nintendo device that plays all Nintendo games. Telling me this makes it sound like that won't happen.

I don't like this line of thinking. The Switch will only succeed if it is the true hybrid they advertise it as. Nintendo must throw the entire weight of their development studios behind this one device for them to truly advance their business.

Vidiot

One of the best things about the Switch is that I thought it would receive Nintendo's full focus when it comes to developing games. If they have to split resources between multiple platforms once again then a huge part of the allure of Switch is lost to me.

I HATE using this line, but one thing we ALL should have learned about Nintendo is that they go against what we expect a lot of the time. All of us could end up being wrong, or partially right. You just never know with them. I guess that's what makes talking about them so interesting in the first place. This is Nintendo we're talking about....

Sure, Nintendo makes weird decisions, but have they ever talked extensively about the troubles involved with a certain strategy and how they are moving to a different strategy... only to then go right back to that "troubled" strategy? They may make strange decisions but the executives aren't stupid.

So you're saying that this is what Nintendo wants to communicate?

Absolutely. They don't want people to stop buying 3DS's yet since there is only a limited amount of Switches they can sell in year 1.

If this is still their stance in year 2 then I'll be convinced.

Futureman

This is not what I want to hear. I want 1 Nintendo device that plays all Nintendo games. Telling me this makes it sound like that won't happen.

Yep... it honestly sours me a bit on the Switch. Though I agree with others that the 3DS was and still is very successful so they can't outright kill it off like the Wii U.

I think by this time next year it will be clear that the Switch is Nintendo's only system.

orioto

Good Art™
I don't like this line of thinking. The Switch will only succeed if it is the true hybrid they advertise it as. Nintendo must throw the entire weight of their development studios behind this one device for them to truly advance their business.

They don't advertise an hybrid, software wise. The only thing they advertise is that it is a home console playable outside. That's the concept.

correojon

They shouldn't talk about other coming devices right before the launch of their newest device. It's ridiculous.

Also the question was about speeding up development processes, unifying the software teams and being able to develop games faster and the answer was "meh, not really" and "we're thinking about dedicated handhelds". In relations to developing games.

What does this means, that Switch won't get all Nintendo games during its lifetime?

Yeah I wasn´t expecting this...I thought Switch would focalize Nintendo´s handheld + console output. By not doing so, it looks like Switch could be facing WiiU like droughts. This can´t be it, this totally defeats their strategy of unifying the handheld and console teams. But on the other hand it explains why we still haven´t seen any proper Nintendo handheld game for Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Absolutely. They don't want people to stop buying 3DS's yet since there is only a limited amount of Switches they can sell in year 1.

If this is still their stance in year 2 then I'll be convinced.

First, are you his lawyer? Secondly, if yes, read the whole discussion, this was not the point addressed.

First, are you his lawyer? Secondly, if yes, read the whole discussion, this was not the point addressed.

I'm sadly not a lawyer, but I agree with what Peltz said so I chose to respond to your point. And I did read the discussion, EDarkness was talking about how more games being announced for 3DS leads him to believe there may be a 3DS successor coming down the line, which I and Peltz believe is not the case. The PR message going around is that the 3DS is not dead and will coexist with the Switch, not that there is a new 3DS successor coming- just that the concept of a dedicated portable is not out of the question.

This PR message is purely PR, and I don't believe it will be the case come 2018.

You really only have to look at what they have said for almost half a decade to their investors to see this is only PR.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah I wasn´t expecting this...I thought Switch would focalize Nintendo´s handheld + console output. By not doing so, it looks like Switch could be facing WiiU like droughts. This can´t be it, this totally defeats their strategy of unifying the handheld and console teams. But on the other hand it explains why we still haven´t seen any proper Nintendo handheld game for Switch.

Basically, and i'm not seeing that's what gonna happen, but if the Switch fails, it'll be cause Nintendo didn't want to put his feet in the water.

If we summarize. Nintendo wants one only console, but they're not sure that console can conquer all their markets, so they're not treating it like their only console..

Please stop falling for their PR scripting.

The Switch will be the only console, but there's no need to tell everyone that the the 3DS is over and done with if it's still making time.

MoonFrog

Yep.

Showing cold feet dooms the Switch. Third parties are going to show cold feet, so it seems. Nintendo had better not.

But these quotes hint that they might and they might leave their console teams blowing in the wind, unable to prop up Switch alone. Perhaps they're just covering their asses and their partners' asses. But caution could well cause its own proof of wisdom.

EDarkness

Sure, Nintendo makes weird decisions, but have they ever talked extensively about the troubles involved with a certain strategy and how they are moving to a different strategy... only to then go right back to that "troubled" strategy? They may make strange decisions but the executives aren't stupid.

It's not troubled if they have their internal teams setup for this kind of thing now. We're seeing a lot of cross games between the Wii U -> 3DS, NS -> 3DS so they have something worked out internally for this. Because of this, they feel confident they can get this done. The NS currently doesn't have any of their handheld games announced so they may be holding those game for an actual handheld. I guess we'll see in the next few months as more information leaks out about what they're going to do going forward.

Honestly, I hope they only have one family of devices that run all of their software so one game will work on both, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility that may not be the case. I'm just making peace with that in this thread. Heh, heh.

Basically, and i'm not seeing that's what gonna happen, but if the Switch fails, it'll be cause Nintendo didn't want to put his feet in the water.

If we summarize. Nintendo wants one only console, but they're not sure that console can conquer all their markets, so they're not treating it like their only console..

This seems to be the case.

Rootbeer

Banned
Better just be a mini Switch, that can run the same games. Nintendo needs to abandon the separate ecosystems. It's only hurting them.

Seriously, what made people think otherwise? Like, everything Nintendo has put out says it's a home console first. Were you guys just ignoring all of this?

EDIT: After reading through more of this thread... yeah, y'all ignored that.

The issue is their marketing says otherwise. The amount of images / videos showing the Switch on the Go or away from the TV is so much higher, to the point where the Superbowl ad just turns the concept around to the point where people seeing it for the first time will get the handheld first, tv second impression. Given the fact that the handheld space is where Nintendo does best it's not a wrong thing to do things, but it could get really confusing if they show up with a new handheld in 2018 and try to sell both systems as portable gaming devices.

mckmas8808

Banned
The consolidation of handheld and console development is the sole thing about the Switch that's genuinely super exciting.

If they walk back on that with making a conventional handheld that won't share the library with Switch, that'll be a huge mistake.

100% agree. What's the point of the Switch if they come out with a 3DS 2?

Well, I was all day one for Switch, but all these statements about the 3DS successor are making me doubt now. I think I'll wait for E3 now.

This will kill the Switch if true. The reason their home consoles go through so many drought periods is because they fully support two devices. I was really hoping that would mean no more portables and all their games and the games third parties would normally put on 3DS would end up on Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah. And it would be a damn shame because they have a really cool device in their hands now.

EDarkness

The issue is their marketing says otherwise. The amount of images / videos showing the Switch on the Go or away from the TV is so much higher, to the point where the Superbowl ad just turns the concept around to the point where people seeing it for the first time will get the handheld first, tv second impression. Given the fact that the handheld space is where Nintendo does best it's not a wrong thing to do things, but it could get really confusing if they show up with a new handheld in 2018 and try to sell both systems as portable gaming devices.

Well, truth is, it's just not that interesting showing some guy sitting at home in front of the TV playing a game...unless they're talking about that game specifically. It's a lot cooler to show some guy picking this thing up and walking around somewhere.

MoonFrog

It's not troubled if they have their internal teams setup for this kind of thing now. We're seeing a lot of cross games between the Wii U -> 3DS, NS -> 3DS so they have something worked out internally for this. Because of this, they feel confident they can get this done. The NS currently doesn't have any of their handheld games announced so they may be holding those game for an actual handheld. I guess we'll see in the next few months as more information leaks out about what they're going to do going forward.

Honestly, I hope they only have one family of devices that run all of their software so one game will work on both, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility that may not be the case. I'm just making peace with that in this thread. Heh, heh.
They have FE announced. They have SMT announced. They have Project Octopath Traveler announced. You have NIS seeing Switch as Japan-oriented portable set against PS4, replacing 3DS/Vita in their calculations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They have FE announced. They have SMT announced. They have Project Octopath Traveler announced. You have NIS seeing Switch as Japan-oriented portable set against PS4, replacing 3DS/Vita in their calculations.

They have no big 3rd party Japanese game anywhere in sight. FE and SMT are so long in the future that can always switch to another device if Switch fails.

Nintendo is insane. They think the Switch will be so successful as a home console that the dedicated handheld market will left wanting. A very myopic view.

EDarkness

SMT is coming to the 3DS, too. I think NIS may end up getting burned...I hope not, but they're not going all in anyway since their most recent games are still PS4/Vita. They can say what they want, but I'm not seeing it.

Again, this is the only quote I've seen which can be read to suggest they might have a 3DS successor that isn't a part of the Switch family. Kimishima's quote is about how the Switch is a large product for a handheld, so they might consider a smaller version later.
I don't think this one quote can contradict everything they talked about since 2013 to their investors.

But honestly, if they combined teams and manage to share assets and port titles between the Switch and this hypothetical 3DS successor to the extent that the two will essentially have increased output and a similar library as you're suggesting, then more power to them. That would be fine with most people I'd imagine.

But nothing outside of this one part of this one quote remotely suggests this will be the case.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

This seems to be the case.
I think you're reading into it the wrong way, but you're right that we'll be clear on what they mean when more handheld games are announced. I seriously doubt Pokemon will be made across two different hardware configurations.

Schnozberry

These statements seem like they are targeted at investors and not consumers, who see the 3DS as Nintendo's most successful business right now and worry about the Switch not taking off.

If Switch becomes a huge success I would imagine a sudden change of heart. We saw them say similar things about the DS replacing the Gameboy line.

Herola

Neo Member
I think you're reading into it the wrong way, but you're right that we'll be clear on what they mean when more handheld games are announced. I seriously doubt Pokemon will be made across two different hardware configurations.

As a prior DS and 3DS owner who hasn't owned a Nintendo home console since GameCube the Switch seems interesting. If they are coming with another handheld I will wait it out until they announce it to consider the Switch.

This also will be reiterated at stores like GameStop which could hurt sales. I know my customers will know this information.

orioto

Good Art™
Also something that i never hear.

_Why can't they simply say "3ds is strong and alive and will have many games in the next months, while the Switch will progressively be its successor"

How in hell does that stop 3ds from selling ?

And let's think for 2 seconds. People who gonna buy a 3ds in the next.. 2 years. That' a pretty pretty late buy right.. Those people will buy a cheap console, super late in its life, to play games like pokemon. They will buy it cause it's suuuper affordable and has lots of inexpensive games.

How in HELL does a luxurious Switch compete with it for those guys ? And they are not buying a new system to have games for 10 years, they're buying a system at the end of its life, so they don't give a shit if a more modern system is coming behind it..

_Why can't they simply say "3ds is strong and alive and will have many games in the next months, while the Switch will progressively be its successor"

I really hope Nintendo is paying attention. This should be the company line if that's their actual intention.

After the Wii U, they should be doing everything they can to put people's minds at ease.

And let's think for 2 seconds. People who gonna buy a 3ds in the next.. 2 years. That' a pretty pretty late buy right.. Those people will buy a cheap console, super late in its life, to play games like pokemon. They will buy it cause it's suuuper affordable and has lots of inexpensive games.

How in HELL does a luxurious Switch compete with it for those guys ? And they are not buying a new system to have games for 10 years, they're buying a system at the end of its life, so they don't give a shit of a system is coming behind it..

The point is, as of right now, Nintendo has absolutely nothing to gain by saying that. The Switch has 2 million units available for its launch month which will inevitably sell out, and should continue to sell rather well for the first 2-4 months, whether or not they admit it will be the 3DS replacement.

Then come fall, they will launch Pokemon Stars exclusive for Switch and they will bring in a huge chunk of the 3DS audience, at which time they can begin talking about the 3DS dying.

/QUOTE]

Because people are stupid and will instantly drop the 3DS, as opposed to being vague like they are, in which case people will keep buying both. When people here of new system's coming out, they don't think "Better buy this system and enjoy its huge backlog", they think "Well this system is dead, better not bother". Watch, the next mainline FE and Pokemon games will be Switch exclusive

Sky Chief

The consolidation of handheld and console development is the sole thing about the Switch that's genuinely super exciting.

If they walk back on that with making a conventional handheld that won't share the library with Switch, that'll be a huge mistake.

Nailed it, the entire point of the Switch is invalidated by a dedicated handheld unless it plays the same software

asagami_

Banned
SMT is coming to the 3DS, too. I think NIS may end up getting burned...I hope not, but they're not going all in anyway since their most recent games are still PS4/Vita. They can say what they want, but I'm not seeing it.

Knowing Atlus, I guess is the last chance for them to do a SMT which uses a lot the dual screen. Oh please be a SMT1/2 remake ;_;

orioto

Good Art™
Because people are stupid and will instantly drop the 3DS, as opposed to being vague like they are, in which case people will keep buying both. When people here of new system's coming out, they don't think "Better buy this system and enjoy its huge backlog", they think "Well this system is dead, better not bother". Watch, the next mainline FE and Pokemon games will be Switch exclusive

Do you realize how much this doesn't make any sense ?

A guy buying a 3ds in 2017 isn't buying a Switch lol.. Or did he just hear about both suddenly this year ?

People buying 6 years old console and launching consoles, are not the same..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
These statements seem like they are targeted at investors and not consumers, who see the 3DS as Nintendo's most successful business right now and worry about the Switch not taking off.

If Switch becomes a huge success I would imagine a sudden change of heart. We saw them say similar things about the DS replacing the Gameboy line.

It's an answer in an interview to a question that has nothing to do with 3ds, not a statement in the investor meeting.

Please stop falling for their PR scripting.

The Switch will be the only console, but there's no need to tell everyone that the the 3DS is over and done with if it's still making time.
Yes but games coming late 17 even 18 for 3ds revealed after the switch is worrisome that Nintendo isn't all in, not just from their ongoing horrible PR (which we all thought was going great until recently) but also towards a resource management perspective

The only handheld that should even be considered by this company is a slim Switch that looks like it was evolved from this
61wBnyL%2BU4L._SX522_.jpg

jmizzal

I'm sure they will release a smaller Switch that doesnt come with a dock, and they will release a more powerful dock down the line.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do you realize how much this doesn't make any sense ?

A guy buying a 3ds in 2017 isn't buying a Switch lol.. Or did he just hear about both suddenly this year ?

People buying 6 years old console and launching consoles, are not the same..

This is very valid point.

The point is, as of right now, Nintendo has absolutely nothing to gain by saying that. The Switch has 2 million units available for its launch month which will inevitably sell out, and should continue to sell rather well for the first 2-4 months, whether or not they admit it will be the 3DS replacement.

Then come fall, they will launch Pokemon Stars exclusive for Switch and they will bring in a huge chunk of the 3DS audience, at which time they can begin talking about the 3DS dying.

The argumentation that the Switch is sold out is pretty weak. People will not buy a 3ds now and a Switch in 3 months. Or do you think that somebody who buys now a 3ds will buy a Switch after Nintendo will say "we lied to you, it does actually replace the 3ds"? There's no logic in this argument.

Here's a question:

What incentive does Nintendo have to stop 3DS production before the Switch releases when the Switch will only have 2 million units available in its first month, and is projected to have 10 million units available in its first year (Japan Display indicated 10 million screens)?

You have an install base close to 70 million vs a MAXIMUM possible install base of close to 10 million for year one. Why on earth would they stop production of software for those 70 million before they can build a big enough install base for its actual successor? PR speak about not abandoning it is simply to encourage people to keep picking up software for it.

They honestly have nothing to gain before year 1 by explaining that the Switch will eventually get handheld-type games. Eurogamer reported Pokemon Stars will be exclusive to Switch this holiday. I think that happening will make anything they have said pre-launch (or even post-launch) about supporting the 3DS 100% moot.

The argumentation that the Switch is sold out is pretty weak. People will not buy a 3ds now and a Switch in 3 months. Or do you think that somebody who buys now a 3ds will buy a Switch after Nintendo will say "we lied to you, it does actually replace the 3ds"? There's no logic in this argument.

Isn't this whole discussion more about the 3DS software though? Some people probably would forgo buying games on 3DS if they are told the Switch will get similar games in a year or two...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here's a question:

What incentive does Nintendo have to stop 3DS production before the Switch releases when the Switch will only have 2 million units available in its first month, and is projected to have 10 million units available in its first year (Japan Display indicated 10 million screens)?

You have an install base close to 70 million vs a MAXIMUM possible install base of close to 10 million for year one. Why on earth would they stop production of software for those 70 million before they can build a big enough install base for its actual successor? PR speak about not abandoning it is simply to encourage people to keep picking up software for it.

They honestly have nothing to gain before year 1 by explaining that the Switch will eventually get handheld-type games. Eurogamer reported Pokemon Stars will be exclusive to Switch this holiday. I think that happening will make anything they have said pre-launch (or even post-launch) about supporting the 3DS 100% moot.

Who said anything about stopping 3ds production? We are all talking about the messages and strategy going forward. Almost nobody says to stop selling 3ds and making 3ds games.

Who said anything about stopping 3ds production? We are all talking about the messages and strategy going forward. Almost nobody says to stop selling 3ds and making 3ds games.

So when they announced a new FE coming in 2018 they killer the FE coming on 3ds in May?

Like I said in my edit, if you tell people they'll get similar games on the Switch in a year or two, that would surely dissuade people from buying those games on the 3DS.

And I don't get what's wrong with the "Switch being sold out" argument. If the Switch has a very hard production cap for its launch month, what does Nintendo have to gain by saying it will replace the 3DS before it launches?

So when they announced a new FE coming in 2018 they killer the FE coming on 3ds in May?

Potentially, yeah. Although that isn't the best example because FE has been on consoles quite a bit. A better example would be Monster Hunter or Pokemon. If you could buy Monster Hunter XX or Pokemon Sun&Moon on Switch this March, why would you buy it on 3DS? Besides the fact that the Switch might be sold out?

Top Bottom