• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Switch doesn't mean that the concept of a dedicated handheld will disappear

I would like to see a Switch "Lite" with a smaller screen and non detachable controllers. Have all the Joy-Con Tech built in except on the left side include a d-pad instead of buttons. Keep the same software, OS, and online infrastructure as original Switch, just make this thing for 1 person use and portable.

Sell the first handheld iteration for $199.99 then it makes good business sense for those who want a cheaper smaller device.

Edit-to save on manufacturing costs don't include a dock or TV out whatsoever.

Aside from sharing the same software, OS, and online that sounds like a completely different device... Not saying I don't like the idea, but I just don't see how they could classify that product under the same brand.

The 3DS is going to continue to get games throughout 2017 in the worst case scenario that Switch is another Wii U level of bomb and 3DS is their only decent performer.

If Switch takes off I would expect 3DS support to be really slim next year.

Also I 100% expect a portable/handheld-only model of Switch in about 18 months.

I don't normally agree with Colin Moriarity of Kinda Funny, but this in one scenario where I do. He recently stated that he feels the Switch is Nintendo's last bastion of hope. That if Switch bombs, Nintendo isn't going to just turn around and start making separate handhelds and consoles again. Regardless of what they market it as, the Switch provides three styles of play but it doesn't "require" that you use all three. I just don't see how the solution to that idea failing is a dedicated handheld at a lower price.

Aside from sharing the same software, OS, and online that sounds like a completely different device... Not saying I don't like the idea, but I just don't see how they could classify that product under the same brand.

If it has the exact same design I could see it being called a "Switch mini/lite" but I do agree that if it doesn't have the Switching mechanic it's a bit odd.

I could see them release a device like that which can actually dock in a normal Switch dock sold separately but still doesn't have detachable Joycons, and you'd have to buy a separate controller to play it on the TV.

Look, if they're still saying this by 2018, then we can start freaking out. But now? Why in the world would you want to publicly cut the 3DS lifeline now? To please the hardcores, a good number of which aren't too keen on the Switch's chances anyway? As far as I know, only one company has killed their existing console (and revenue stream) to immediately make way for the new console - Sega. Once with the Genesis/Saturn, then again with the Saturn/Dreamcast. Neither ended well, and the first one ruffled a lot of feathers and resulted in a huge missed amount of needed cash and time for Sega.

Nintendo's not doing the best job of communicating, I'll give you that. But when it seems like nearly every interview is constantly trying to have them publicly admit an exit from either the console or handheld space (neither of which are good press), then it's no wonder they're tripping over themselves to save face. And again, throwing all of your eggs in one basket when there's at least one good year left of money left in your current system is a very bad idea. You can argue that the Switch will stumble because of the confusion, but if so, isn't it better to still have 3DS revenue coming in, giving you a full year to figure out what to do to get the Switch back on track? Without that year of extra 3DS cash, you're risking a Saturn-esque death spiral if the Switch starts slowly.

They shouldn't talk about other coming devices right before the launch of their newest device. It's ridiculous.

Also the question was about speeding up development processes, unifying the software teams and being able to develop games faster and the answer was "meh, not really" and "we're thinking about dedicated handhelds". In relations to developing games.

What does this means, that Switch won't get all Nintendo games during its lifetime?

I swear I'm about to cancel my preorder... I like the hardware very much from what I've seen but it feels like Nintendo just doesn't know what to do with it. PR has been a disaster since the conference.

The consolidation of handheld and console development is the sole thing about the Switch that's genuinely super exciting.

If they walk back on that with making a conventional handheld that won't share the library with Switch, that'll be a huge mistake.

Agreed. I wish Nintendo would just shut the hell up and launch the damn product that we're still in the dark about in regards to many features rather than talk about how the 3ds isn't dead and this and that. One of the main reasons I'm buying the switch is because I thought this was their primary focus. If they launch some other shit and bungle this due to a lack of focus, I'll never deal with their consoles again.

They really need to just shut the fuck up about new handhelds, we're a month from launch and I'm not sure how playing with friends will work and they're on about other potential hardware. Everytime someone at Nintendo opens their mouth, my confidence in the company drops.

Look, if they're still saying this by 2018, then we can start freaking out. But now? Why in the world would you want to publicly cut the 3DS lifeline now? To please the hardcores, a good number of which aren't too keen on the Switch's chances anyway? As far as I know, ony one company has killed their existing console (and revenue stream) to immediately make way for the new console - Sega. Once with the Genesis/Saturn, then again with the Saturn/Dreamcast. Neither ended well, and the first one ruffled a lot of feathers and resulted in a huge missed amount of needed cash and time for Sega.

Nintendo's not doing the best job of communicating, I'll give you that. But when it seems like nearly every interview is constantly trying to have them publicly admit an exit from either the console or handheld space (neither of which are good press), then it's no wonder they're tripping over themselves to save face. And again, throwing all of your eggs in one basket when there's at least one good year left of money left in your current system is a very bad idea. You can argue that the Switch will stumble because of the confusion, but if so, isn't it better to still have 3DS revenue coming in, giving you a full year to figure out what to do to get the Switch back on track? Without that year of extra 3DS cash, you're risking a Saturn-esque death spiral if the Switch starts slowly.

This is an excellent post and I think a very accurate read of the situation.

Nintendo is not talking about the 3DS. They're talking about the 3DS successor which many of us believed to be the handheld form of the Switch.

Which, since 2013, Nintendo has suggested will share a common architecture with the Switch to enable them to essentially share games.

Which, since 2013, Nintendo has suggested will share a common architecture with the Switch to enable them to essentially share games.

Well maybe I should wait for them to confirm that next year and get Zelda on Wii U and a PS4. Do you really think they're in the right stance less than a month before launch?

Well maybe I should wait for them to confirm that next year and get Zelda on Wii U and a PS4. Do you really think they're in the right stance less than a month before launch?

Not at all. I think their messaging in general is always horrible and this is no different.

But people are worried about what will actually happen, not their messaging here, and I'm not at all worried about the Switch line not getting handheld games. The biggest clue is Eurogamer reporting Pokemon Stars will be a Switch exclusive. If that rumor never comes to pass then I'll start worrying, but Eurogamer has an excellent track record with rumors.

The 3DS is two years older than the Wii U. If Nintendo had a dedicated handheld in development it wouldve come out before the Switch. The idea/ philosophy behind the Switch may someday be in a dedicated handheld form factor, but Nintendo's never gonna make another handheld-only system with proprietary software and it's own OS. Anything they make in the future will be a more portable version of the Switch that can run all Switch games, with a better battery, etc.

brad-t

Yeah he's completely out of the loop, obviously. What are we thinking? :)

All he's saying is that the 3DS isn't dead and not writing off the possibility of another dedicated handheld of some kind down the road. Why would he? Assuming that this indicates anything about the future of Nintendo's hardware is weird.

Aonuma-san is my favorite guy at Nintendo. I never know if I want to him to stay producing Zelda games or work on other projects. If he could do both, I'd love both. If he can't, then I want him to stay on with the Zelda games

brad-t

Among other things, it's non-committal and doesn't actually say anything about Nintendo's future plans other than that nothing is impossible. It doesn't say there will be a 3DS successor nor does it say that there will be another dedicated handheld in the future. They're just not ruling anything out. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to be explicitly ruling out any potential future strategies, especially when Nintendo still has a dedicated handheld product on store shelves with games in development.

The community here has some weird obsession with goading Nintendo into saying the 3DS is dead or that Switch is the future or everything even though they have no incentive to do so, much like everyone is arbitrarily hung up on the handheld/console dichotomy when Nintendo is explicitly introducing a device designed to break that dichotomy.

Finally, if Nintendo were to introduce a handheld-only device, it seems very unlikely that they would design it in a way that would fracture their audience once again. More likely is that it would be part of the Switch ecosystem of devices, a message that was repeated frequently during early presentations of NX to investors.

Among other things, it's non-committal and doesn't actually say anything about Nintendo's future plans other than that nothing is impossible. It doesn't say there will be a 3DS successor nor does it say that there will be another dedicated handheld in the future. They're just not ruling anything out. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to be explicitly ruling out any potential future strategies, especially when Nintendo still has a dedicated handheld product on store shelves with games in development.

The community here has some weird obsession with goading Nintendo into saying the 3DS is dead or that Switch is the future or everything even though they have no incentive to do so, much like everyone is arbitrarily hung up on the handheld/console dichotomy when Nintendo is explicitly introducing a device designed to break that dichotomy.

Finally, if Nintendo were to introduce a handheld-only device, it seems very unlikely that they would design it in a way that would fracture their audience once again. More likely is that it would be part of the Switch ecosystem of devices, a message that was repeated frequently during early presentations of NX to investors.

Well, that's certainly a much more nuanced opinion than your original 'Aonuma doesn't even have anything to do with hardware you lunatics' :D

I think people's worries are mostly Kimishima's fault for talking about a potential '3DS successor' the other day. Most people are buying into the Switch because the hybrid design ensures a solid flow of software from, basically, all of Nintendo's first-party studios. If that's suddenly up in the air, the Switch loses much of its appeal.

PSFan

Could their next handheld be a "Switch DS" machine? Maybe a clamshell version of the Switch that has 2 screens and plays 3DS/DS carts as well as Switch?

It could also have a HDMI out port or streaming capabilities to a TV, to keep the "Switch" gimmick.

I don't normally agree with Colin Moriarity of Kinda Funny, but this in one scenario where I do. He recently stated that he feels the Switch is Nintendo's last bastion of hope. That if Switch bombs, Nintendo isn't going to just turn around and start making separate handhelds and consoles again. Regardless of what they market it as, the Switch provides three styles of play but it doesn't "require" that you use all three. I just don't see how the solution to that idea failing is a dedicated handheld at a lower price.

I strongly disagree. I think that there's a different avenue Nintendo could have been exploring to some success, and that's to be a "budget" option for console/handheld based videogaming.

The DS was only about $150/£99.99 at launch, and the Wii was £180/$250 with a game. I don't think it was a coincidence that those two were such massive success stories. Now obviously there's a heck of a lot more to those stories than the price, but I do think being relatively cheap was a big deal. Making a more expensive handheld with the 3DS bit them in the ass to the point where they had a huge price cut in less than half a year, and the Wii U is self explanatory.

I do honestly feel the entry price of switch is a very risky endeavour. It's way more expensive than you've been able to get a PS4 recently in the UK, and that's seriously bad news for a Nintendo machine in my opinion. I don't know exactly what they could put out in the £100-£150 range nowadays, but it is a question I'd like to know the answer to.

Keep in mind that Nintendo has some flexibility on whether to introduce additional devices to the portable market, 2DS-style. Barring a Vita successor, which I find unlikely, they are now sitting in a position of zero active competition in the dedicated handheld market. The competition is precisely what it was for the 3DS: mobile.

In this environment, it may be strategically wise to declare a state of readiness for the scenario where the 3DS market doesn't show substantial movement to the Switch, and a commitment to those who might feel abandoned by the prospect of a Switch-only future (whereupon they jump to mobile-only once the 3DS exhausts itself, shrinking the portable market entirely).

Will there be some who look at this news and say, "No thanks, I'll hold off for a year until we see whether a cheaper dock-free hardware revision is in the works"? Of course, but the whole idea is to make them thirsty and impatient with the software proposition.

The 2DS is the analogue we should be looking at, the precedent for a cheaper and comparatively childproof device that sacrifices a major defining feature of the original system but preserves most of its software compatibility.

(I would, of course, love to see a future handheld-focused New Switch that brings back glasses-free 3D at 720p, but I know that in business terms this approach would be a little crazy.)

I strongly disagree. I think that there's a different avenue Nintendo could have been exploring to some success, and that's to be a "budget" option for console/handheld based videogaming.

The DS was only about $150/£99.99 at launch, and the Wii was £180/$250 with a game. I don't think it was a coincidence that those two were such massive success stories. Now obviously there's a heck of a lot more to those stories than the price, but I do think being relatively cheap was a big deal. Making a more expensive handheld with the 3DS bit them in the ass to the point where they had a huge price cut in less than half a year, and the Wii U is self explanatory.

I do honestly feel the entry price of switch is a very risky endeavour. It's way more expensive than you've been able to get a PS4 recently in the UK, and that's seriously bad news for a Nintendo machine in my opinion. I don't know exactly what they could put out in the £100-£150 range nowadays, but it is a question I'd like to know the answer to.

I definitely agree that having a low-cost entry point is great for Nintendo, which could be another reason they're keeping the 3DS around for now. Heck, that's why Sony and Microsoft don't discontinue their old hardware the second the new model is out. But I just can't see the solution to a failing Switch being a super low-cost dedicated handheld or console. But I'm happy to agree to disagree on that one.

Shadoron

Once again, this is just bad marketing and PR speak by Nintendo. We are one month out from the release of the Switch, no one at Nintendo should be talking about hypothetical future consoles. Period. All it does is cause panic. No other company on the planet talks about future hardware days before they release a new product. It's literally insane, and makes zero sense. "Check out this awesome new product we are launching in 30 days. Please pre-order! Oh, and we might be thinking about a separate successor to a product that is in the twilight of its cycle, with tons of software support and 60 million plus sales!! Please be excited about that, also. But make sure to buy our new hardware coming out in a month!!" Sounds pretty nuts, doesn't it?

Reggie, Mr. PR himself, actually should have been the only one to talk about this, since his quote about it actually is the right way to go. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to treat you like a dummy. We are excited about our new product coming out in March. We also understand that it is expensive, and that we need to have a product at a cheaper price point. The 3DS is that product. Tons of hardware sales, tons of current software. So we will continue to support 3DS through 2018, while building a library of games and users for Switch. If you want the latest and greatest, Switch is where it's at. If you are looking for a value priced Nintendo product, with a huge backlog and some continued support during our transition, than a New 3DS at $99 is perfect for you." That's how you promote your new offering, and still keep the golden egg laying machine (3DS) in the spot light.

But now we have Kimishima and Aounuma blabbing off about potential 3DS successors. In all truthfulness, they are probably talking about a Switch "Lite" down the road. Another "third pillar" scenario. The problem is, unless they are going to announce this Switch "Lite" will be coming by the end of the year, right this second, all they are doing is causing unneeded confusion. And overshadowing their brand new console that is coming out in less than a month. There shouldn't be any talk about future hardware at this point. Looking at their comments, I can of course see how people might take that to mean that Nintendo really doesn't have faith in the Switch, and could backpedal to a non-Switch dedicated handheld. Why shoot the legs off your new product before it is even out the door? It makes Nintendo, as a company, look very scared. And they certainly could (and probably should) be, but don't let the market see that.

brad-t

Once again, this is just bad marketing and PR speak by Nintendo. We are one month out from the release of the Switch, no one at Nintendo should be talking about hypothetical future consoles.

They're talking about the product that's on store shelves right now. The 3DS. Aonuma was merely trying to dispel the notion that the 3DS has been abandoned. In Kimishima's case, he was directly addressing the business community by not ruling out a successor to their company's most active platform. It's ridiculous to contrive this as some kind of non-commitment to the Switch platform or, indeed, an indicator of any device that Nintendo might release down the line. Not only would those plans likely be very fluid right now (since they're dependent on the success or failure of a machine that hasn't launched yet), but Nintendo frequently changes their plans or does things they said they wouldn't do in response to business conditions.

Neither Aonuma nor Kimishima's quotes are examples of Nintendo fucking up their messaging to anyone other than a few internet community diehards who love to nitpick. This is a device that's going to sell millions of units; a non-committal blurb in an industry mag from a game producer, and a translated quote from a business newspaper in Japan are not going to have a material impact on perception of the Switch in the marketplace.

Once again, this is just bad marketing and PR speak by Nintendo. We are one month out from the release of the Switch, no one at Nintendo should be talking about hypothetical future consoles. Period. All it does is cause panic. No other company on the planet talks about future hardware days before they release a new product. It's literally insane, and makes zero sense. "Check out this awesome new product we are launching in 30 days. Please pre-order! Oh, and we might be thinking about a separate successor to a product that is in the twilight of its cycle, with tons of software support and 60 million plus sales!! Please be excited about that, also. But make sure to buy our new hardware coming out in a month!!" Sounds pretty nuts, doesn't it?

Reggie, Mr. PR himself, actually should have been the only one to talk about this, since his quote about it actually is the right way to go. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to treat you like a dummy. We are excited about our new product coming out in March. We also understand that it is expensive, and that we need to have a product at a cheaper price point. The 3DS is that product. Tons of hardware sales, tons of current software. So we will continue to support 3DS through 2018, while building a library of games and users for Switch. If you want the latest and greatest, Switch is where it's at. If you are looking for a value priced Nintendo product, with a huge backlog and some continued support during our transition, than a New 3DS at $99 is perfect for you." That's how you promote your new offering, and still keep the golden egg laying machine (3DS) in the spot light.

But now we have Kimishima and Aounuma blabbing off about potential 3DS successors. In all truthfulness, they are probably talking about a Switch "Lite" down the road. Another "third pillar" scenario. The problem is, unless they are going to announce this Switch "Lite" will be coming by the end of the year, right this second, all they are doing is causing unneeded confusion. And overshadowing their brand new console that is coming out in less than a month. There shouldn't be any talk about future hardware at this point. Looking at their comments, I can of course see how people might take that to mean that Nintendo really doesn't have faith in the Switch, and could backpedal to a non-Switch dedicated handheld. Why shoot the legs off your new product before it is even out the door? It makes Nintendo, as a company, look very scared. And they certainly could (and probably should) be, but don't let the market see that.

Thank you.

I have to add that what scares me the most is the idea of a Switch Lite w/o joycons. It seems like a terrible idea that would divide the user base. I don't see how the Switch form factor can be reduced truth be told.

But anyway, all I wanna hear from Nintendo is how great the games are going to be on their new hardware. Oh and this phone app thingy too...

Prototype

The consolidation of handheld and console development is the sole thing about the Switch that's genuinely super exciting.

If they walk back on that with making a conventional handheld that won't share the library with Switch, that'll be a huge mistake.
Exactly.

The only interesting thing was having all of Nintendos output on a single system. If that's gone, what's the fucking point? Switch is gonna see huge droughts just like Wii U

Shadoron

It's ridiculous to contrive this as some kind of non-commitment to the Switch platform or, indeed, an indicator of any device that Nintendo might release down the line. Not only would those plans likely be very fluid right now (since they're dependent on the success or failure of a machine that hasn't launched yet), but Nintendo frequently changes their plans or does things they said they wouldn't do in response to business conditions.

I do agree that companies should have fluid motions and backup plans, but why publicly talk about them at all? It's a terrible message to send to the market, on the eve of a product launch. Nintendo just got done spending hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D for the Switch, the foreseeable future of their company's portfolio. Backup that product with support, and a unified PR message. And continue to promote the 3DS. Just don't muddy the waters with talks of replacements, at least not right now.

Neither Aonuma nor Kimishima's quotes are examples of Nintendo fucking up their messaging to anyone other than a few internet community diehards who love to nitpick. This is a device that's going to sell millions of units; a non-committal blurb in an industry mag from a game producer, and a translated quote from a business newspaper in Japan are not going to have a material impact on perception of the Switch in the marketplace.

We had a poster further up in this thread talk about how they are going to let their customers know about this. I'm assuming that the poster works for a gaming store / big box. That alone could affect potential sales of the Switch. Is it a minuscule amount? Sure. But all it takes are some gaming sites covering this, some Youtubers picking it up, and suddenly you have a problem of runaway misinformation. And the quote Kimishima gave to the business newspaper is even worse. Investors are the target for that quote. I know they are fickle to begin with, but let's not give them anymore fuel to work with. Nintendo should be sticking to one PR message. Just look at how Nintendo has handled the Switch online issue. They dropped a couple pieces of info, didn't elaborate, and let the gaming forums and news outlets go nuts over lack of info. Places like GAF, Reddit, Gamefaqs, Youtube reactions, and gaming news sources (IGN, Giantbomb, etc) cater to the hardcore gaming enthusist. These are the people that buy in first, understand the most, and help to promote a new gaming console through word of mouth and showing systems off. If even they are getting confused by messaging from a gaming company...

brad-t

The comment to investors is to reassure them that they're not blind to their most lucrative market segment and are aware that the Switch, in its current form, fills a market position that the 3DS line doesn't especially in terms of price and kid-friendliness. Investors aren't emotionally invested in this issue the way enthusiasts are.

As for people who work at stores telling their customers about these comments — that's on them. None of these comments indicate a new handheld-only device is in the pipeline. If someone wants to contrive it to mean something its not, or to treat rumours as fact, they're not doing their customers a very good service.

Nintendo are talking about this because people are asking them about it. They can't say they're all-in on Switch because the 3DS is literally still for sale and still making money. If they were totally mute on the subject, people would also get frustrated with Nintendo for that. Nintendo addressed the topic in the most pragmatic, non-committal way possible and people are still jumping to the most alarmist conclusions.

As much as I'd like to believe this, misunderstanding and misinformation from core communities may be more damaging than you think. Nintendo, for instance, is still burdened by a perception that all your digital purchases are irrecoverably lost if something happens to your hardware, or that there is "no account system", when that hasn't been the case for a generation.

Well 2DS survived without confusion. People understood it was a 2D only version of 3DS. I think if it was marketed right Nintendo wouldn't have to call a handheld iteration Switch at all. They would have to get the point acrossed that it runs the same games and OS.

Well 2DS survived without confusion. People understood it was a 2D only version of 3DS. I think if it was marketed right Nintendo wouldn't have to call a handheld iteration Switch at all. They would have to get the point acrossed that it runs the same games and OS.

Did the 2DS do all that well? I'd wager Nintendo will want their eventual dedicated handheld Switch to perform better than the 2DS did. They also have their work cut out for them communicating compatibility with Joycon-only games like 1-2 Switch.

Did the 2DS do all that well? I'd wager Nintendo will want their eventual dedicated handheld Switch to perform better than the 2DS did. They also have their work cut out for them communicating compatibility with Joycon-only games like 1-2 Switch.
Not Joy-Con only. You can use Pro Controller without motion control if you want to.
Edit-Confusing with Arms lol. Sorry.

At the very least, all Switch game boxes are clearly labeled with support for handheld, tabletop, and docked modes. That's a step in the right direction.

Not Joy-Con only. You can use Pro Controller without motion control if you want to.
You sure you're not confusing it with ARMS?

At the very least, all Switch game boxes are clearly labeled with support for handheld, tabletop, and docked modes. That's a step in the right direction.

Yeah. Maybe it won't be so difficult after all.

And there's no way he's not confusing it with ARMS.

Oregano

Even a cheap handheld Switch could have a kickstand(it's a piece of plastic) and be able to pair with Joycons. Technically stuff like 1 2 Switch and Just Dance would be playable like that... it would just be a terrible experience.

If Nintendo actually try to create separate software for both platforms they're idiots.

Yeah. Maybe it won't be so difficult after all.

And there's no way he's not confusing it with ARMS.

Yes, I confused it with Arms, but a way around this is to let it be compatible with Joy-Cons via Bluetooth, if Nintendo would do such a thing.

HeelPower

There are multiple confirmations implying Nintendo is handling this as a console and not a handheld.

The dream of unified development scheme and the switch getting the continuation of 3DS' amazing lineup in HD is looking more and more like..a dream.

oh boy oh boy...Another Wii U incoming.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Scrawnton

There are multiple confirmations implying Nintendo is handling this as a console and not a handheld.

The dream of unified development scheme and the switch getting the continuation of 3DS' amazing lineup in HD is looking more and more like..a dream.
There's no way they're gonna release a new dedicated handheld that is less powerful than Switch while Switch exists. Switch is a dedicated handheld in that every single piece of software can be played on it in handheld mode. Nintendo is not going to spend R&D costs on a whole new handheld system when all they have to do is remove the dock, hdmi cable, Grip, and wait a year and release this thing for $200 or even $180.

No way in hell Nintendo R&Ds a brand new handheld when there sitting on this fantastic device that is already a handheld.

Anyone who took an entry level economics course could tell you that there's no way a company would ever do such a thing. Honestly, if Nintendo does this and they trash all that R&D costs because Switch failed and they go a whole new different route, they deserve to fail. Investors would have Kimishimas head for even trying such a business move.

18 months down the line a die shrunk Switch SOC with a 4" screen, no detachable motion controls and no dock for $150-$200 sounds like something which would sell well.

It would allow them to retain a dedicated handheld proposition while no longer splitting development resources.

HeelPower

There's no way they're gonna release a new dedicated handheld that is less powerful than Switch while Switch exists. Switch is a dedicated handheld in that every single piece of software can be played on it in handheld mode. Nintendo is not going to spend R&D costs on a whole new handheld system when all they have to do is remove the dock, hdmi cable, Grip, and wait a year and release this thing for $200 or even $180.

No way in hell Nintendo R&Ds a brand new handheld when there sitting on this fantastic device that is already a handheld.

I agree with you.

What you're saying makes total sense.

But this Nintendo..Impossible to know what they might be thinking. Maybe they wanna continue the "DS" branding ,and will reintroduce another device independent of the switch..

Poof! im clueless tbh.

Scrawnton

I agree with you.

What you're saying makes total sense.

But this Nintendo..Impossible to know what they might be thinking. Maybe they wanna continue the "DS" branding ,and will reintroduce another device independent of the switch..

Poof! im clueless tbh.

This is a company who tried saving costs on Wii by reusing mostly GCN hardware. They're going to try to make the most money with the least R&D possible. Switch is an investment and has the architecture to be its own dedicated handheld. Spending anymore money developing a whole different handheld when this thing exists is such a stupid move that even Nintendo wouldn't make it.

This is a company who tried saving costs on Wii by reusing mostly GCN hardware. They're going to try to make the most money with the least R&D possible. Switch is an investment and has the architecture to be its own dedicated handheld. Spending anymore money developing a whole different handheld when this thing exists is such a stupid move that even Nintendo wouldn't make it.
Yep. They won't want to waste their Nvidia partnership, either. The Tegra can definitely get small enough by the time the 3DS dies.

Top Bottom