• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Switch doesn't mean that the concept of a dedicated handheld will disappear

Yep. They won't want to waste their Nvidia partnership, either. The Tegra can definitely get small enough by the time the 3DS dies.
Can it? That'd cost a lot of money to continue shrinking it down, wouldn't it?

The big advantage of the modified (?) Nvidia X1 is that it was basically ready to go for this particular form-factor.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This will kill the Switch if true. The reason their home consoles go through so many drought periods is because they fully support two devices. I was really hoping that would mean no more portables and all their games and the games third parties would normally put on 3DS would end up on Switch.

That was the buy in for so many of us.

Nintendo is really bumming me out right now.

If this isn't a dedicated handheld, then I'm sorry, but literally what's the point?

I don't want another console that you wind up ignoring the main gimmick behind it a year into its life span. Meanwhile the gimmick prevents price drops as it's expensive to implement and also caused the console to be underpowered.

And yeah maybe they're just saying this, but even if they are it's a mistake, show some fucking confidence and dedication to your own ideas Nintendo, I'm not getting a console that you guys can't publicly put your full weight behind for whatever reason.

100% agree.

They've spent so fucking much on making the Switch a hybrid, it's completely a farce if they release another handheld.

Can it? That'd cost a lot of money to continue shrinking it down, wouldn't it?

The big advantage of the modified (?) Nvidia X1 is that it was basically ready to go for this particular form-factor.
Well, maybe I shouldn't have said "definitely" because we don't know the node size of the Switch for sure, but it's very likely 20nm like the latest Shield TV. 16nm might not have been ready while it was in the design phase.

Moving to 16nm would allow increased battery life and they could remove the internal fan.

Xenus

They got to have a back-up if Switch ends up tanking though. And handhelds are the one space left Nintendo is actually super successful in.

So it only makes sense to keep working on dedicated handheld hardware while Switch's future is still up in the air.

It makes sense to keep working on it. What doesn't make sense is opening your mouth and talking about it especially when your product is supposed to be a hybrid that is both.

Yes, always have a back up plan.

No, tell the world about having a backup plan before even bringing the product to market. It shows no confidence in your product and only furthers confusion of the messaging on the part of the consumer. This type of crap is exactly why Reggie and everyone else in their PR department is supposed to have a job. To shape the message coming out of the company as a unified voice and not to have people in the company say well yeah but we have other plans just in case.

Malakai

A potential Switch Mini would most likely just run at the portable clocks and be passively cooled (No Fan) like the Pixel C tablet.

Shadoron

It makes sense to keep working on it. What doesn't make sense is opening your mouth and talking about it especially when your product is supposed to be a hybrid that is both.

Yes, always have a back up plan.

No, tell the world about having a backup plan before even bringing the product to market. It shows no confidence in your product and only furthers confusion of the messaging on the part of the consumer. This type of crap is exactly why Reggie and everyone else in their PR department is supposed to have a job. To shape the message coming out of the company as a unified voice and not to have people in the company say well yeah but we have other plans just in case.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across in my post from the previous page. Don't poison the well on your new system, but assure customers and investors that the 3DS will remain as a viable platform for price conscious consumers. And let Reggie do his job. He actually did a great job of getting this point across, without diving into behind the scenes "backup" plan talk. Stuff that should be discussed at Nintendo Corporate, but not randomly dumped out into the public. I've linked the interview HERE, it's from a thread that was posted to GAF right after the Switch Presentaion in January. The part about the 3DS starts in the middle of the video.

farisr

I keep seeing people say "if the switch does well it'll replace the 3ds" no. That's not it at all. The Switch (or Switch Lite with no dock/detachable controller + longer battery life) is absolutely going to be replacing the 3DS sooner or later. Regardless of how it does initially with the home console crowd. The architecture has been developed with handheld in mind, it is Nintendo's next handheld step.

The only thing the current Switch sales performance will determine (before they phase out the 3DS) is whether Nintendo will continue to focus on creating higher fidelity console games/experiences or not in the future.

AzaK

If this isn't a dedicated handheld, then I'm sorry, but literally what's the point?

I don't want another console that you wind up ignoring the main gimmick behind it a year into its life span. Meanwhile the gimmick prevents price drops as it's expensive to implement and also caused the console to be underpowered.

And yeah maybe they're just saying this, but even if they are it's a mistake, show some fucking confidence and dedication to your own ideas Nintendo, I'm not getting a console that you guys can't publicly put your full weight behind for whatever reason.

That's already done and dusted. All the motion control things aren't necessary for most people and given that this isn't being sold as a motion machine like the Wii was, you'd expect those things to be even less utilised. Nintendo hasn't really shown us that they know how to use their gimmicks much apart from 1 or two titles.

The motion stuff is probably wasted on 99.99% of people.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The Switch already is a dedicated handheld. Right Nintendo? That's literally why I'm buying the damn thing. I want an HD Nintendo portable. That's the main drive for me....

Releasing a separate dedicated handheld flies in the face of everything that got me on board with the Switch.

Durante

Nintendo doesn't want to kill off 3DS immediately. I get that.

But a separate new handheld platform concurrently with Switch would just be stupid. They won't do that.

Xdrive05

A potential Switch Mini would most likely just run at the portable clocks and be passively cooled (No Fan) like the Pixel C tablet.

This is the best case scenario for sure, as it would still keep all Nintendo development on the Switch "family of hardware", the exact same chipset to develop for. The portable-only Switch could have like a 4.5" - 5" 720p screen and 3DS like clamshell with buttons/slide sticks on the bottom, and then be small enough to easily fit in a pocket.

The main concern is that they don't splinter their platforms going forward.

I struggle to see the point of a new dedicated handheld with the Switch coming out. Why undercut your new console's key selling point, its portability? Without that to advertise, the Switch would just be another Wii U, a laughably underpowered 1st party box. Hell, it's still probably going to end up like that, but it'd be even more glaring since the portability factor would become redundant.

simtmb

With all these statements as of late, I'm really not seeing any show of confidence from Nintendo aside from the expectation of selling Wii numbers.

They should really just stop talking. Switch is a hybrid, it is a handheld, and it can function as a console, why do i feel post the presentation they are less acknowledging of it being a handheld?

This is a big reason I'm not buying a switch anytime near launch. Until Nintendo gets their messaging straight and I know what their next move is, I'm going to assume support will remain weak, just like their last two consoles.
Also, I feel I should clarify that switch's appeal to me is the idea of Nintendo consolidating its developer force onto one system; take that concept away and the switch just isn't an appealing system for me. As someone who rarely games outside the house, the switch's main gimmick just doesn't apply here, though I'd gladly buy it if I knew it was the only thing Nintendo was going to work on going forward.

Trago

This is a big reason I'm not buying a switch anytime near launch. Until Nintendo gets their messaging straight and I know what their next move is, I'm going to assume support will remain weak, just like their last two consoles.

You really think they'll drop the Switch in favor of a new dedicated handheld?

I think people should calm down a bit. Switch Lite will be a thing. Not a separate platform lol.

You really think they'll drop the Switch in favor of a new dedicated handheld?

I think people should calm down a bit. Switch Lite will be a thing. Not a separate platform lol.
I don't necessarily think that's what Nintendo's next move is, but I can't help but feel like there's going to be some kind of caveat. Until I know what that is, I'm holding off.

Kuni

It really should. Focusing on one device (or device line, aka mini switch) is one of the smartest moves they could do (and have been moving towards for a while now).

I really hope they don't bring out a completely separate handheld. That would just be utterm utter madness. Hell, even talking about it is confusing. I just hope it's them just making noises to make it seem like 3DS will get more support. Although I'd rather they just drop that too...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I don't necessarily think that's what Nintendo's next move is, but I can't help but feel like there's going to be some kind of caveat. Until I know what that is, I'm holding off.

But this is just an offhand comment from a game developer, not a hardware guy or high-level planner.

It seems pretty damn clear to me that Nintendo's strategy is: Switch is our flagship, 3DS is our side game until Switch install base reaches a certain threshold.

nampad

Seems like everyone at Nintendo is on the same page for the messging. I think they want to keep the possibility open to push somethibg out if Switch fails without losingface.

I mean, these are still all non-response. What I read is that they'll see what happens with the Switch and make a plan after that. Much like the DS.

Or maybe we'll get Game & Watch back who knows

Trago

I mean, I get the concern of Nintendo dropping support. I'd be in the same camp, but considering how Nintendo have been restructuring over the past few years, the sudden fear of an all new platform that they have to support doesn't make much sense to me. You see how spread thin they are with the Switch's initial software, why would they screw themselves over with an all new separate portable platform? Seriously why? Just having a cheaper, portable only version of the Switch is my expectation for any new hardware out of them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
But this is just an offhand comment from a game developer, not a hardware guy or high-level planner.

It seems pretty damn clear to me that Nintendo's strategy is: Switch is our flagship, 3DS is our side game until Switch install base reaches a certain threshold.

Maintaining the latter will, in the long run, slow down Switch adoption.

A lot of people will happily stick with the 3DS, until those types of games start moving to the Switch.

I get that, but like I said, my issue is with messaging. Nintendo's been really wishy washy on what I feel is the main selling point of the Switch (at least for me), and their lack of desire to commit is worrying to me. I agree that it's obvious what Nintendo will most likely do, it's the reluctance and caution in their messaging that's off-putting. Others have said it seems like they're trying not to bank on any one thing too hard in case the Switch turns out to be a Wii U scenario, and I agree with that too. That's a problem in and of itself for me, though. Why should I invest in a platform that may or may not be abandoned based on how well it does? I'm aware that many on GAF disagree, but I feel like the Wii U was a pretty big indication of Nintendo's level of commitment to their hardware and their customers, and I'm just expressing that if they don't get their message straight I'm going to continue to be hesitant to get behind them. I don't see why Nintendo deserves the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

If they do go down the Switch Mini route a issue i see is UI and text size on a small screen. I don't know if the Switch increases UI and text size while in handheld mode but when looking at Zelda screenshots on my phone display the text and icons are rather small. And that's on a screen size almost equal to the 3DS XL.

TunaLover

My feelings exactly, I think it's just Nintendo too scared to lose its only worth market the portable one, and Switch price point is prohibitive for that market. Pokemon Stars will tell alot about Nintendos future plans, but yeah the titles lineup doesn't inspire me confidence that Nintendo is willing to fuse both markets, we'll see.

shiyrley

Banned
They will probably release a smaller, handheld only version of the Switch that has no detachable controllers BUT is compatible with Joycons and all Switch accessories (wirelessly) AND they will probably release a separate, optional dock. (or maybe even make the console compatible with the current one, but if it's smaller I can't see how that would work, it would be a bit weird if you have to get your hands inside the dock to reach the console or something like that lol)

tr00per

If they walk back on that with making a conventional handheld that won't share the library with Switch, that'll be a huge mistake.

This. I hope it's just pr talk for "don't stop buying the 3ds" and not that they're splitting development efforts

Nintendo doesn't want to kill off 3DS immediately. I get that.

But a separate new handheld platform concurrently with Switch would just be stupid. They won't do that.

If Switch is a Wii U level bomb, which I suspect is a decent approximation of the criteria for a new dedicated Nintendo handheld, it won't be stupid though. I suppose you've kind of caught that with "concurrently", because I'd expect that'd mean it'd be the death knell of Switch, with them doubling down on the handheld (again).

Theonik

I meant w/ no gimmicks that compromise power. It's like they created their own category.
Except they clearly didn't hence why they lost relevance in the home console space after the dropped the ball in mid-way through the Wii.

I'm one of the few that's fine with this I guess. If the switch ends up the one Nintendo device, potentially with a *mini* version down the line, with all of their software unified on it, I'm totally fine with that. If that's what the market demands from Nintendo for them to be profitable and survive as a company, or if that's what genuinely excites their creatives, I'll be behind it 100%.

However, if we take what Nintendo have said with the presentation in Jan and the interviews afterwards at face value, and the switch is their home console, presented as portable and as flexible as possible with their home console style games AND the 3ds/a 3ds successor,with bespoke software depending where Nintendo creatives feel the best/most exciting place is from a development/game design stand point, continues to exist, I would be totally cool with this. The switch is cool to me in it's own right with the games and features that have been shown. The idea of unification doesn't really played a part, it really sells itself on it's own merits to me. If the switch can sell itself on it's own merits and go far beyond the Wii U and they can keep the 3ds style device around, I'm really all for that. At this point in time at least, I see the two as different enough with different enough goals and strengths to co-exist in my household.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That was the buy in for so many of us.

Nintendo is really bumming me out right now.

100% agree.

They've spent so fucking much on making the Switch a hybrid, it's completely a farce if they release another handheld.

Switch is a hybrid but with a home-focus (even if that is purely based on Nintendo positioning and price)

You could completely release a switch-mini with more of a handheld focus, but basically the same thing.

When de says "dedicated handheld" I hope he's talking about a Switch lite without the dock or something like that.

Of course he means that. Nintendo would not release a handheld that is not compatible with Switch.

The next "handheld" will be a Switch mini or simply a Switch with reduced price.

Aiustis

Of course he means that. Nintendo would not release a handheld that is not compatible with Switch.

The next "handheld" will be a Switch mini or simply a Switch with reduced price.

Yup. Don't understand the panic and fuss. Though reading a lot of posts...I think it comes down to most people here don't understand dedicated handheld gaming.

The xl versions of the ds and 3ds sell much better than the small ones. There is no reason to make a smaller switch. Every market is gooing big because it sells better, iphone 7 plus for example...or 13 inches ipads... nintendo is not releasing a smaller switch.

And by the way the switch is a handheld.

With all these statements as of late, I'm really not seeing any show of confidence from Nintendo aside from the expectation of selling Wii numbers.

They should really just stop talking. Switch is a hybrid, it is a handheld, and it can function as a console, why do i feel post the presentation they are less acknowledging of it being a handheld?

They have plenty of confidence, this is just them re-iterating the same point. 3DS isn't dead in 2017, so please keep buying it if you don't want a Switch right away. I get the concern on some fronts, but I also think you need to think about it logically. If 20 outlets ask 20 Nintendo reps variations of the same question, do you think reps 2 through 20 will decline to answer?

This reminds me of the Zelda speculation where we thought Link could be a woman in BoTW. People kept asking the same question in different variations so we got variations of the same answer. All of a sudden, the internet blew up thinking that Nintendo was just trying to stay mum about it.

Aiustis

The xl versions of the ds and 3ds sell much better than the small ones. There is no reason to make a smaller switch. Every market is gooing big because it sells better, iphone 7 plus for example...or 13 inches ipads... nintendo is not releasing a smaller switch.

A handheld shouldn't be a device that needs peripherals (joy cons) for input.

I'm not expecting O3DS size, not with games at the level of detail that they are. But surely you can see there are diminishing returns with increasing the size. Something closer to XL size (including the controls) could have a significant market, especially at an XL-like price point. Of course, I don't expect this until they're phasing the 3DS out.

Top Bottom