• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aonuma want to make a remake of A Link to the Past" and more about next Zelda on Wii

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah. Imagine how dramatic and cool it would be to see Link pull the Master Sword out of the stone in 3D. Or imagine how the hookshot would work in 3D! Oh man, how challenging would it be to try to reflect shots back at a boss in 3D?

You are missing the point why LttP is so awesome. The great dungeons. The two worlds. The great plot.

SantaC

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah. Imagine how dramatic and cool it would be to see Link pull the Master Sword out of the stone in 3D. Or imagine how the hookshot would work in 3D! Oh man, how challenging would it be to try to reflect shots back at a boss in 3D?

:lol :lol

Seriously. Aounuma must be out of his mind if he thinks Alltp needs a remake. I am actually scared that he hasn't acklowledge that yet.

What Zelda really needs:

-more challenging
-better sidequests with better rewards
-an overhaul both in the overworld and in the dungeons

-It does NOT need another dual world

basically they need to take more risks with the franchise.

Akai

Segata Sanshiro said:
Or how the Pegasus Boots would work in 3D! Or how the Magic Cape would work in 3D! Or how the Fire Rod would work in 3D! Or how the Cane of Somaria would work in 3D!

Oh wait...

Boken

Banned
I love LTTP and all, but I'd prefer it if he got down with a new game. I don't want my memories tarnished by a remake. A Link to the Past is still completely playable anyway - compared to other games people clamor for a remaking of.

ElFly said:
You are missing the point why LttP is so awesome. The great dungeons. The two worlds. The great plot.
The great dungeons were designed for 2D and would likely be re-designed in any remake. The two worlds thing has been in two of the four existing 3D Zelda games. The... great? plot has been reused ad nauseum.

SantaC said:
What Zelda really needs:

-more challenging
If you find it easy why not do the three heart challenge? I think the reason why it has become easy for GAF is because most of us have played the same style of Zelda time and time again. For first time players it's probably a moderate challenge, this is why the game needs to stay at the same difficulty.

If they changed the heart of the game enough we wouldn't find it so easy because it simply wouldn't be so familiar.

Everyone hates sidequests.

Timbuktu

D.Lo said:
How about a different ethnic theme? Zelda is typically a standard western fantasy themed affair (with some Japanese touches), and Wind Waker was fresh in part because it offered other cultural influences (I particularly noticed Irish and Indian overtones) to its presentation.

So how about a more Asian theme - something more like feudal Japan, where Link is a samurai? Or South American? All twisted to fit in with it being a fictional universe obviously.

So what you want is Princess Mononoke - the game? Actually, that would work in a way since you can just replace Mononoke with Zelda and Ashitaka with Link and you have the hero leaving his own village... but there is no Ganon. but seriously, I know Zelda Wii could never look as good as a Ghibli film, but I would rather them take their time over it and have it on the Wii successor even if that's what it takes to have it have Galaxy's level of impact. Then I don't mind a REmake of LttP to tie us over.

Akai said:
Or how the Pegasus Boots would work in 3D! Or how the Magic Cape would work in 3D! Or how the Fire Rod would work in 3D! Or how the Cane of Somaria would work in 3D!

Oh wait...
Obviously there are some items that haven't come back (mostly because they weren't very good to begin with or they would be pointless in 3D), but my main point still holds: virtually all the high beats from LttP have already been "remade" into 3D. This is because the Zelda series is a constant harvest of "what's worked so far" combined with a few new things.

Geez TC you exaggerated the statement a tad bit...he never said he wanted to make a remake, he just said the idea is interesting to him. Devs say things like this all the time

What Zelda needs

PORTALS!
Physics based puzzles.
Some light platforming like assassin's creed and shadow of the collosus.
Assassin's creed style npcs that wander around and get in your way.
Bigger focus on the npc like in MM.
Branching dialog.
Orchestrated music.
Directional combat system.
Combining the use of the previous items on a boss instead of using just one.
Puzzles involving reading and figuring out clues. Riddles, word problems, etc.

What zelda should move away from to be fresh
The same 3 starting dungeons --->twist in story----> the final dungeons ---> boss
1 button and waggle combat
Save the princess.
Using one item on a boss and dungeon.
Link's fetus design.

I would like a more asian themed land for Zelda.

Aonuma really shined with Majora's Mask, but he was limited in what he wanted to achieve. I'm telling you guys, if he brings back the style and basic premise of Majora's Mask, totally fucking overhauls the NPC gameplay aspect, adds incredible cel-shading like Wind Waker but USING ART STYLE LIKE THE N64 ZELDAS (I can't stress that enough), makes it a tad harder, you have my new favorite Game of the Forever.

kammy

Banned
Even Nintendo know LTTP is the best zelda evar.

Day one for any remake. It is the blueprint for all subsequent Zeldas eg the 3 dungeons - major event - 8 main dungeon formula has never changed.

Odrion

Banned
Don't touch Link to the Past, it's perfect.

Remake us Link's Awakening, the two season games, or the NES ones instead.

Steeven

GeneralIroh said:
What Zelda needs

PORTALS!
Physics based puzzles.
Branching dialog.
Orchestrated music.

The same 3 starting dungeons --->twist in story----> the final dungeons ---> boss
Save the princess.
Link's fetus design.

I like your ideas.

The Zelda series needs to be developed from another studio, because the approach from Eiji Aonuma's team is always the same. They can change what they want, but the approach to the problem will always be the same, because they're too conditionned from their past experiences.

The next Zelda has not to be a new Phantom Hourglass, but a true revolution, and this needs a different pont of view from people that have never worked on a Zelda.

Rareware did an amazing job with Donkey Kong and Retro did the same with Metroid. So, Zelda can follow the same path.

vareon

GeneralIroh said:
What Zelda needs

Yes, this is what I'm tired of. Collect 3 something, ZOMG the true villain appears, collect more something then face the final villain.

Also item usage. Spinner was awesome in TP, but we rarely use it on other occasion.

thefro

I think the biggest thing they need to do is really, really shake up the setting (which has essentially been the same in every Zelda game). Link being able to actually jump again would be great as well.

Zyzyxxz

I think it would pretty neat if they took the next Zelda into a wartime era.

I mean they have usually stuck on the similar theme for most of their games being a guy who needs to save the kingdom of hyrule but what about having Hyrule in the middle of a war.

Or another idea would be to change the core gameply, sword and shield getting old...

dual swords? With the Wiimote+nunchuck that could make something interesting

ksamedi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The Zelda series needs to be developed from another studio, because the approach from Eiji Aonuma's team is always the same. They can change what they want, but the approach to the problem will always be the same, because they're too conditionned from their past experiences.

The next Zelda has not to be a new Phantom Hourglass, but a true revolution, and this needs a different pont of view from people that have never worked on a Zelda.

Rareware did an amazing job with Donkey Kong and Retro did the same with Metroid. So, Zelda can follow the same path.

PH was developed by Eiji Aonuma's team.

ant1532

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
What Zelda needs

PORTALS!
Physics based puzzles.
Branching dialog.
Orchestrated music.

Save the princess.
Link's fetus design.

I think the Zelda for the next Nintendo system is more likely to be this than the next Zelda on Wii. Good ideas by the way.

i somehow doubt there'd be a remake to lttp. or, i doubt aonuma would spend time on it while the successor to TP is only in planning stages, but who knows. maybe a DS remake would be more likely, as far as resources are concerned

that said, i'd love to see a remake. everybody cites Ocarina as the series' standard while that honor really goes to lttp

ksamedi said:
PH was developed by Eiji Aonuma's team.

Indeed. Eben. This is what I said: Phantom Hourglass is a nice try to make a new Zelda, but still far to be a revolution. What I meant in my post is that a change like Phantom Hourglass is not enough. It is still too similar.

genjiZERO

Link to the Past. I’m actually very interested in what it would be like if we remade that title as a 3D game

God no!! Link to the Past was the last Zelda game I enjoyed - and I really loved that game. Please don't cheapen the experience by making yet another 3D action-adventure Zelda game with dodgy controls, useless secondary weapons, and even dodgier camera.

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Are you saying that a western studio should make the next mainline Zelda game? Which studio should do it?

Foil

Oldschoolgamer said:
Cell shaded plz.

Hell yes. WW still looks great.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

No.

I think Nintendo EAD Tokyo should develop the next Zelda game.

They did a great job with Jungle Beat and a legendary job with Galaxy. And interestingly both games are very different from any other game in their series.

Haunted

Exactly. Don't be surprised. Retro Studios would be by miles the best candidate.
The Metroid Prime series is absolutely fantastic, so I hold retro in high regard, still... taking it away from Aonuma would be a drastic step and not one they are considering right now.

Man, all this teasing and speculation, I wonder when we'll see the next one unveiled. Maybe late next year.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I think Nintendo EAD Tokyo should develop the next Zelda game.

They did a great job with Jungle Beat and a legendary job with Galaxy. And interestingly both games are very different from any other game in their series.
On the other hand, both Galaxy and Jungle Beat are platformers, not Adventure games.

That said, EAD Tokyo is Nintendo's best studio right now, imo. Make Aonuma a consultant or at least involve him in some way in the project and it should be fine.

loosus

Banned
I wish they'd take Aonuma off Zelda completely. I am absolutely sick of his vision of what Zelda is.

I haven't liked a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. Even Ocarina of Time was a fucking remake of Link to the Past! Zelda games since Ocarina of Time have gotten progressively more predictable and boring.

And they've also made Zelda more and more into a real RPG, when -- previously -- what had set it apart was the fact that it was not really an RPG. Now, though, it mixes in with the rest of the JRPG shit. Too much storyline. Too much talking. Not enough action.

SantaC said:
:lol :lol

Seriously. Aounuma must be out of his mind if he thinks Alltp needs a remake. I am actually scared that he hasn't acklowledge that yet.

What Zelda really needs:

-more challenging

-It does NOT need another dual world

basically they need to take more risks with the franchise.
Hopefully Galaxy and Jungle Beat becomes a template in direction for future Zelda titles. By that I mean completely changing what is assumed to be "Zelda".

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Then watch people hate it for being new.

Amir0x

Banned
Link to the Past is one of those games that has absolutely no need of remaking. The graphics fit it just right, the gameplay is pretty much perfect, the music doesn't need any dramatic reworking. Would be pretty pointless.

I hope whatever style they decide to go with for the next Zelda game, that it is cel-shaded on Wii.

[Nintex]

I don't think Aonuma has much to say about the direction of Zelda.
Nintendo won't ask him to change a popular series that sells millions. They just give him a limited ammount of time and resources and if he said: "I don't want to port Zelda to Wii" they'll just say: "Fuck you" and pick someone else for the job. Just read the interviews about the development of Super Mario Galaxy. It took some time before Nintendo agreed to do orchestral music. There are some really creative minds at Nintendo, but they'll never be allowed to work in something else next to the usual Mario Kart/Zelda/Pokemon/Mario games. Miyamoto made the Pikmin concept when he had a few days off and the fishing part in Zelda TP was made without Aonuma knowing it.

Zelda PH needs to bomb hard in order to allow Aonuma to do something different.
If Sunshine hadn't failed like it did Nintendo would have made Super Mario Moonshine already.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i lurve zelda. but it definitely needs to step away from the "two worlds" thing for good. it was a little less obvious in minish cap where the world is essentially the same--you just grow smaller and get the ability to move through its nooks--but when you get right down to it, it's still a sort of world transition between big world/little world, and god damn it, it's time to let it go, guys. it was a good idea once, and it wasn't a big deal that it stuck around for a few more games, but kee-rist.

Concept17

LTTP was the only Zelda game I really enjoyed. A remake would be cool - only if they make it epic, and not like they've made every 3d zelda. Kinda like what was listed in 'What Zelda Needs'

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Every change is potentially dangerous. But no changes -> No progresses. How many were skeptics with Metroid with a first person view ?
A lot.
and they were right

Blablurn

I want him to be back, maybe not as a pretty important character, but I always imagined, how he could fit into other Zeldagames in this form:

Vaati_by_Zefy.jpg

I think that people should stop to think that EAD is the only studio in the world that can make a great Zelda game. Not all developers around the world are crap. I agree that EAD is one of the best. You can argue even that it is the best. But this doesn't mean that they're the only one that can make a great adventure title.

NotWii

Banned
They really should let Aonuma take a breather and let Takashi Tezuka direct.
He hasn't directed a game since Yoshi's Island.
Mario 3, Mario World, Zelda 3 and Zelda 4 were all directed by him, you cannot go wrong.

Zyzyxxz said:
I think it would pretty neat if they took the next Zelda into a wartime era.

I mean they have usually stuck on the similar theme for most of their games being a guy who needs to save the kingdom of hyrule but what about having Hyrule in the middle of a war.
Totally agree, I had the same idea.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd love to see them make a setting change that would really piss some people off initially, and make them question whether it was a good idea or not. since the conceit of the series since wind waker has been that this whole "hero of time" thing is a tradition where a new boy wears the clothes on a certain day, you could take it into any era and maintain the general progression of the adventure. imagine if, rather than wind waker/twilight princess's still rather pastoral and undeveloped villages, if link were in a city that was more developed; that way, the transition from link's everyday life to the bizarre, uncontrolled caves, dungeons, etc. that for some reason still lie outside his normal life is a lot more drastic (in much the same way you would be more shocked to find an 800 year old dungeon if you had been raised in nyc).

that's all a hard sell, i know--even to myself. but i think if the series is going to stay really interesting the devs need to step outside the lines a bit

Top Bottom