• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aonuma want to make a remake of A Link to the Past" and more about next Zelda on Wii

lancubap

Aonuma said:
Eiji Aonuma was interviewed in the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine (UK):

"Ocarina of Time was the first title I worked on, and I was continuously tackling challenges every day during its development, so I think this is the title I feel I impacted the most. I believe that experience made me what I am now. I always think about what we couldn’t do and what didn’t work well in the previous game when we start a new title, but there’s no game that I would want to actually change as such. I have to say though, the first Zelda game that I played and felt potential in was Link to the Past. I’m actually very interested in what it would be like if we remade that title as a 3D game".

Mr. Aonuma also states that he’s constantly thinking about what can be done in the next Zelda title that will surprise gamers. As far as graphics go, he can’t really say what approach the team will take. It depends on what visual style will best work with the story and gameplay. He says that the next Zelda could even end up with a graphical style that we didn’t even think of yet.

Again, thanks to g-o-Nintendo. More if happens. Discuss ! Sorry if old.

lancubap

I'm sorry if I posted this news from g-o-Nintendo, but I think that it is too interesting to not be posted.

I'll update the first post when another source comes out.

lancubap said:
I'm sorry if I posted this news from g-o-Nintendo, but I think that it is too interesting to not be posted.

I'll update the first post when another source comes out.
It's okay, this is cool. ONM delivers for once.

SantaC

ehhh lttp is close to OoT anyway, why remake it?

please no more light and dark world, I am tired of it.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I don't think he's really saying he wants to make one, just that it would be interesting.
Personally, I want a next gen MM style game. Make it happen, Eiji! :lol

By the way, you mentioned g0 nintendo 3 times already. It's alright, you're starting to sound like a shill. :lol

Dascu

Though I'd love aLttP 3D, Link's Awakening would be so much more fun. I really hope Zelda Wii's visual style will be as good as Wind Waker's.

Haunted

I’m actually very interested in what it would be like if we remade that title as a 3D game".

Mr. Aonuma also states that he’s constantly thinking about what can be done in the next Zelda title that will surprise gamers. As far as graphics go, he can’t really say what approach the team will take. It depends on what visual style will best work with the story and gameplay. He says that the next Zelda could even end up with a graphical style that we didn’t even think of yet.
ooooh. He's such a tease.

big_z

could care less about the graphics at this point but for the love of god evolve the gameplay. the cookie cutter shit nintendo has been using since ALTTP has been raped to hell and back... the series is getting boring/predictable as fuck.

Scribble

I would love Zelda Wii to be like the very first LoZ. Which was kind of like a really simplified Elder Scrolls game.

I'm not very interested in a remake of Alttp. What about the next Zelda, please include more side stories like Majora's Mask and more memorable characters. A lot more. Next Zelda should be totally different from the last one.

That's why I still think that another studio, with a different point of view, could create the surprise. Why not EAD Tokyo ? I would like Retro to handle the next zelda, but it seems they're already working on a new IP. Wii needs definitely new IPs, so better to let them work on what they're working.

But the next Zelda should be depeloped by another studio, otherwise we'll see only small changes, and not a true revolution in the series.

SantaC

big_z said:
could care less about the graphics at this point but for the love of god evolve the gameplay. the cookie cutter shit nintendo has been using since ALTTP has been raped to hell and back... the series is getting boring/predictable as fuck.

yep, the series is becoming stale. Mario is ahead for me again since galaxy is AMAZING.

Tieno

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm not very interested in a remake of Alttp. What about the next Zelda, please include more side stories like Majora's Mask and more memorable characters. A lot more. Next Zelda should be totally different from the last one.

That's why I still think that another studio, with a different point of view, could create the surprise. Why not EAD Tokyo ? I would like Retro to handle the next zelda, but it seems they're already working on a new IP. Wii needs definitely new IPs, so better to let them work on what they're working.

But the next Zelda should be depeloped by another studio, otherwise we'll see only small changes, and not a true revolution in the series.
What about a Kid Icarus Zelda crossover game?

ITA84

Aonuma said:
I have to say though, the first Zelda game that I played and felt potential in was Link to the Past. I’m actually very interested in what it would be like if we remade that title

LttP was an unusually "large" game, with plenty of space to be filled with something that wasn't a bunch of rupees, so even if I loved the original to death, I'd probably like a well-made remake...

as a 3D game

...not! Oh well, if they make it like PH, it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, well. I'd probably play it, regardless of how it's done.

NotWii

Banned
OOT is basically Zelda 3 remade in 3D
But I still welcome a Zelda 3 remake, because it'll still end up better than Twilight Princess.

SantaC said:
yep, the series is becoming stale. Mario is ahead for me again since galaxy is AMAZING.

This is why I have faith in a forthcoming Zelda Wii. TP is a huge barrel of awesomesauce, but if Nintendo can reboot Zelda like they just did with SMG, there will be too much win to go around. Believe, people!

If they simply upgraded the sprites, added a few Four Swords / Wind Waker style effects and did a Wii Ware version of LTTP, I would buy it like... FIFTEEN times over.

If they actually did a new, 3d, pseudo top-down version, with up to date combat mechanics, with cel shaded graphics, that would be my definition of digital crack. They'd have overhauled my most favourite game ever and effectively given me a second childhood.

I would buy it for as many people on this forum as I could, as a gift.

I wouldn't be against them doing this at all as long as another Zelda was in production too. SO I hope this isn't just a hypothetical comment - I hope they're actually doing it.

iddqd

god damn nintendo.
we want something NEW. not new remakes.
NEW like NEW.
I played nearly every zelda (im right now at the end of twighlight princess) and i think i´m done with the formula.
Phantom Hourglass/ Minish Cap are perfect "small" Zeldas and
Twighlight Princess / Ocarina are the Epic Zelda in perfection.
Case closed!

make something different!

iddqd said:
god damn nintendo.
we want something NEW. not new remakes.
NEW like NEW.
I played nearly every zelda (im right now at the end of twighlight princess) and i think i´m done with the formula.
Phantom Hourglass/ Minish Cap are perfect "small" Zeldas and
Twighlight Princess / Ocarina are the Epic Zelda in perfection.
Case closed!

make something different!

/thread.

Exactly my point. Aonuma's team should make something different next time. Isn't he bored to develop only Zeldas since 10+ years ?

D.Lo

How about a different ethnic theme? Zelda is typically a standard western fantasy themed affair (with some Japanese touches), and Wind Waker was fresh in part because it offered other cultural influences (I particularly noticed Irish and Indian overtones) to its presentation.

So how about a more Asian theme - something more like feudal Japan, where Link is a samurai? Or South American? All twisted to fit in with it being a fictional universe obviously.

Also, mix up the combat by ditching most of the standard weapons. How about a Zelda without a sword? Also structure - the whole game underground, with dungeons as excursions to the 'cursed' surface?

Splatt

I bet it's going to run on UT3 engine (specially tweaked to work on Wii) with bald Link who is now a space marine on steroids. Ganon will look like General Raam.

If it was a REmake level overhaul... completely new engine, areas reimagined in new ways, with new puzzles, new combat mechanics, and plenty of new and surprising things, but the same scenario -- I would approve of this far more than I do say... Tomb Raider Anniversary. Which is another game that is awesome by the way.

As long as they planned for fresh new Zelda as well, I don't see any reason why doing this would be bad. It would be made of fucking win and awesome...

I am hoping Aonuma can sense me willing him on :p

A graphical style that we haven't thought of yet?

Regular GameCube/Wii 3D
Cel-Shaded Wind Waker-style
Cel-Shaded No More Heroes-style (It doesn't look as "kiddy")
Cartoony but not Cel-Shaded (Like Team Fortress 2)
NES-style 2D
SNES-style 2D
N64-style 3D
Monkey Island 3/Odin Sphere-stlye 2D

What else is there?

Neo C.

big_z said:
Yeah, really. One or two major change would do wonder, although "Teh HardestCorez" would bitch the hell out.

SantaC

as much as I like Aonuma I do think he is a bit overrated here on gaf. He should start by making the zelda games harder.

NotWii

Banned
Actually, now that I think about it, this is a really good idea.

For Zelda Wii, perhaps the best way forward isn't to follow Ocarina's blueprint (which was derived from Zelda 3) but to go back to Zelda 3 (the definitive 2D Zelda) and create a new blueprint.

There are still lots of things from Zelda 3 that haven't translated into 3D and there's still lots of room for improvement.

watkinzez

Much of ALttP's design is dictated by the system's limitations. I don't see how a satisfactory remake would be much like the original at all, at least enough for the new version to have any worth.

strife2k

A remake of Link to the Past would be amazing, seeing tha dark world, a full fantasy-themed Hyrule on 3D will be a dream.

LTTP>>> OOT

LTTP feels a lot more epic than OOT, Hyrule feels like belongs to a Legend with its magic forest, a castle on the middle, the witch house near the zora river, the items, agahim the wizard, so many things.
The music its epic, just listen the dark world theme.

Only the ones "born" at Playstation generation could possibly say that OOT is a better game than LTTP or that OOT its a remake, because it didn´t feel like you are playing a legend, it feels like an amazing adventure game, but not a legend.

So yes i want a remake please.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Guybrush Threepwood said:

Regular GameCube/Wii 3D
NES-style 2D
SNES-style 2D
N64-style 3D

What else is there?
It won't be a new graphical style but instead a new viewpoint. Think Elder Scrolls. :lol

Ugh, no. While I agree it doesn't sound like something he's actually considering doing, I still must reiterate: no no no. I'm normally the guy that loves remakes, but this series is waaaay too samey to afford an actual remake.

What they need to do is find more ways to freshen up the formula.

Actually, scratch that. They should ditch the formula and start from scratch. I have enough faith in them that they'd make it great.

Haunted

LttP with TP engine for 29€. Next proper console Zelda totally different from the LttP/OoT formula coming in 2010.

Guybrush Threepwood said:

Regular GameCube/Wii 3D
NES-style 2D
SNES-style 2D
N64-style 3D

What else is there?
By thinking of these graphical styles, they're no longer qualified and can't be used, sorry. It's one we haven't thought of yet, remember?

ElFly said:
A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. Period.

This can only be good news.
Yeah. Imagine how dramatic and cool it would be to see Link pull the Master Sword out of the stone in 3D. Or imagine how the hookshot would work in 3D! Oh man, how challenging would it be to try to reflect shots back at a boss in 3D?

A new idea would be have 3 heroes, each of their story arcs are independent, 24 style cuts across the narrative. For the final boss you control all three characters at the same time.

There's your Zelda link, the fact that each hero represents the pieces of the tri-force. You can ditch the rest and let three of Aonuma's most promising underlings handle each story. With Aonuma heading up the overall story.

You could have three entirely different styles of gameplay, you could streamline the endless amount of gadgets given out to a single character without cutting back on the overall variety in the game.

Sections of the game could be co-op,
as always I am available for hire.

Top Bottom