• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

AP asks Eric Trump if his father incited the Capitol mob

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

"
NEW YORK (AP) — The PGA canceled its tournament at his golf course. Banks say they won’t lend to him anymore. New York City is looking to end his contract to operate the Central Park skating rink.

Hits to President Donald Trump’s business empire since the deadly riots at the U.S. Capitol are part of a liberal “cancel culture,” his son, Eric, told The Associated Press on Tuesday, saying his father will leave the presidency with a powerful brand backed by millions of voters who will follow him “to the ends of the Earth.”

“We live in the age of cancel culture, but this isn’t something that started this week. It is something that they have been doing to us and others for years,” said Trump, who along with his brother, Donald Jr., have been running the family company since their father took office four years ago. “If you disagree with them, if they don’t like you, they try and cancel you.”

The remarks in an extended interview to the AP come amid an extraordinary backlash against the Trump Organization after thousands of the president’s supporters stormed the Capitol last week in a violent riot seeking to keep lawmakers from confirming Joe Biden’s presidential election victory.

Amid accusations Trump incited the mob, the PGA of America voted to strip its namesake championship from Trump’s Bedminister, New Jersey, golf course next year, a British golf organization said the British Open will not be played at a Trump property in the “foreseeable future,” the e-commerce company Shopify stopped helping run the online Trump Store, and New York City announced it was looking to cancel contracts with Trump for skating rinks and a golf course in the Bronx.

“The president incited a rebellion against the United States government, a clearly unconstitutional act,” Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “That’s unforgivable.

And potentially most troubling of all, several banks, including one of his biggest lenders, Deutsche Bank, have reportedly said they would no longer lend to Trump’s company, raising the prospect that the president may have to dig into his own pockets to pay off his loans if he can’t refinance.

“We witnessed the president of the United States encouraging the rioters and refraining from calling in the National Guard to protect the Congress in its performance of duty,” said one bank that cut ties, New York’s Signature Bank, once so close to Trump it put his daughter Ivanka on its board.

Eric Trump seemed unruffled but combative as he spoke by phone from his office in Trump Tower. He dismissed the hits as no big threat to a company that has minimal debt –$400 million against billions in assets – and can always tap its vast real estate holdings for cash, not to mention the allegiance of those sticking by the president.

“You have a man who would get followed to the ends of the Earth by a hundred million Americans,” Eric Trump said. “He created the greatest political movement in American history and his opportunities are endless.”

That upbeat assessment notwithstanding, the limited data available for his private company suggest the Trump Organization’s golf properties, as well as other parts of his businesses, may be struggling.

Its two Scottish golf courses have been losing money for years, it had to furlough more than 1,000 workers last year due to the coronavirus, prices of condos in Trump residential buildings have fallen sharply and the company has been unsuccessful in its plans to sell one of its most celebrated properties, the Trump International Hotel in Washington D.C.

One person who does business with members at Trump’s golf club in Bedminster said several members are thinking of freezing their membership after the Capitol riots, and that getting new members to join will be difficult.

“They don’t want to be publicly shamed for being a member of his golf club,” said the person, who requested anonymity because he doesn’t want to lose his clients’ business. “Do you think a guy who works for a financial firm or a drug company wants to see his picture in the paper?”

Along with his father, Eric Trump spoke to the crowd on Jan. 6 before many of them rushed to the Capitol, pushed over barriers, attacked police, vandalized the building and left five people dead.

“Have some backbone. Show some fight. Learn from Donald Trump,” Eric Trump said before urging them to “march on the Capitol.”

President Trump said Tuesday during a visit to the border wall in Texas that he bore no responsibility for fomenting the insurrection and warned that efforts to impeach him over his comments threatened only to further divide the country, “which is very dangerous.”

Asked directly in his interview if he felt his father incited the crowd, Eric Trump paused and then the line went dead.
"

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
Bored One Punch Man GIF

Bitmap Frogs

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Seemed like a stupid question/stupid answer situation to me.

Can someone link me to the where the president incited people to storm into the capital building?

It’s a good question to see where Eric stands on this issue. He’s closer to the president than most people.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
The fact he can’t defend his father or condemn him, and runs runs away like the biggest pussy on earth is just the absolute response you’d expect from him 😂

Reactions: Punished Miku

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Do people ITT hate their fathers or something?

If some bumble fuck chuckle-head from the news asked me a question like that, i would hang up. It's a loaded question that has no answer that would appease anyone. Hanging up is a baller power move.

For real. The same people cheerleading would be mad if he said the only appropriate response in that situation, which is "Go fuck yourself".

Reactions: kuncol02

Slings and Arrows

and Ceramide R
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
For real. The same people cheerleading would be mad if he said the only appropriate response in that situation, which is "Go fuck yourself".
You mean those same people saying that Joe Biden isn't responsible for Hunter Bidens life?

The same people who said you weren't voting for Hunter, but for Joe?

Those people?

Shockedpickachu.gif

• Fire
Reactions: Brazen

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
Cancel culture huh? You mean like this?

Slings and Arrows

and Ceramide R
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
Cancel culture huh? You mean like this?

WTF, i love mass shootings now.

Seriously? You're taking the side of a mass murderer to get one over on trump? You're a sick little puppie

Reactions: BaneIsPain

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
WTF, i love mass shootings now.

Seriously? You're taking the side of a mass murderer to get one over on trump? You're a sick little puppie

The push from Trump wasn't this one single phone but to force Apple to creating a back door into EVERY iPhone so the government could abuse that power.

This is just one example. Trump has called for the boycott of multiple companies.

Slings and Arrows

and Ceramide R
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
The push from Trump wasn't this one single phone but to force Apple to creating a back door into EVERY iPhone so the government could abuse that power.

This is just one example. Trump has called for the boycott of multiple companies.
You could have and should have picked a better example. Siding with a mass-murderer, even by mistake, doesn't look good for the forum.

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
You could have and should have picked a better example. Siding with a mass-murderer, even by mistake, doesn't look good for the forum.

Apple said at the time there was no way they could have done it without breaking every iPhone out and creating a back door for the government to abuse. I'm taking the side of privacy for all versus the conviction of one. You are looking at the tree and not seeing the forest.

AGAIN, just one example of Trump calling for a company boycott.

Last edited:
Reactions: dave_d

Slings and Arrows

and Ceramide R
Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies
Apple said at the time there was no way they could have done it without breaking every iPhone out and creating a back door for the government to abuse. I'm taking the side of privacy for all versus the conviction of one. You are looking at the tree and not seeing the forest.

AGAIN, just one example of Trump calling for a company boycott.
Your avatar is fitting, because you have shit for brains.

I'm not replying to you in this thread anymore, because

1) You're trying to derail it with TDS and buh Trump, which has nothing to do with the thread topic, and
2) The fact that you've missed the fact that to show what a bad mister that Trump is, you chose to prove your point using the example of a mass-murderer, and the side you choose to take, is that of the mass-murderer.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DESTROYA

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
Your avatar is fitting, because you have shit for brains.

I'm not replying to you in this thread anymore, because

1) You're trying to derail it with TDS and buh Trump, which has nothing to do with the thread topic, and
2) The fact that you've missed the fact that to show what a bad mister that Trump is, you chose to prove your point using the example of a mass-murderer, and the side you choose to take, is that of the mass-murderer.

And there it is... the cliché "TDS" response. You not responding to me is a win/win. You don't have to be challenged by my posts and I don't have to hear you cry about my response.

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump had actually incited the mob to storm the capital, CNN would play what he said over and over on their channel.

You do realize he doesn't have to directly say "Go storm the capitol and kill a few cops and wreck shit" to incite a mob, right? His constant denial of Biden's election win and failure to disavow white supremacy over and over fueled all of this.

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
You do realize he doesn't have to directly say "Go storm the capitol and kill a few cops and wreck shit" to incite a mob, right? His constant denial of Biden's election win and failure to disavow white supremacy over and over fueled all of this.

Same way that many democrats incited riots all over the country with inflammatory comments all through 2020.
Or like Nancy Pelosi and many others said that the election was hijacked right after Trump won on 2016.

Lets put it simple: pretty much every single powerful political comment, left or right, will incite/make some other people react.
Its ingenuous to think that banning Trump has anything to do with this. If not, explain to me how the Ayatola Jomeini, who openly asks for a full nuclear genocide of jews and its -as of right now- killing american hostages, is allowed on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: kuncol02

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
Same way that many democrats incited riots all over the country with inflammatory comments all through 2020.
Or like Nancy Pelosi and many others said that the election was hijacked right after Trump won on 2016.

Lets put it simple: pretty much every single powerful political comment, left or right, will incite/make some other people react.
Its ingenuous to think that banning Trump has anything to do with this. If not, explain to me how the Ayatola Jomeini, who openly asks for a full nuclear genocide of jews and its -as of right now- killing american hostages, is allowed on Twitter.
Almost every response this past week has been "but but but the Democrats!". Fine, yes, hold them accountable too, but it doesn't excuse Trump.

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
Almost every response this past week has been "but but but the Democrats!". Fine, yes, hold them accountable too, but it doesn't excuse Trump.

Thats not my point actually. As I've said, I dont think Trump nor democrats should be banned or punished since pretty much every political statement will make someone to react negatively.

Reactions: Hayfield

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not my point actually. As I've said, I dont think Trump nor democrats should be banned or punished since pretty much every political statement will make someone to react negatively.
Agreed, but I believe Twitter and others reacted the way they did because they felt there was an imminent threat.

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
Agreed, but I believe Twitter and others reacted the way they did because they felt there was an imminent threat.

And you think that Twitter didnt know the effect of a people tweeting that theres an entire system killing you based on your race?
Or leaders posting that people from a particular religion are the cause of each and every of your problems?

Of course they know. But I dont think its a politically motivated action, but an strictly business one.
See: Facebook / Twiiter / Google have the tools that no one has to audit the content of their platforms. If they start pushing for content regulation, as they are attempting right now, that will make it impossible to other players (Parler or whatever other new social network) to jump in. How can a startup audit at the scale of those companies? This is a master business plan, they are putting themselves on a position where no one will be able to compete with them. The book definition of an oligopoly.

Reactions: Brazen and Hayfield

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
He has to say stuff like this unless he’s willing to throw all the years of allegiance to his father down the drain.

Remember, his dad has made statments like he’s done more for blacks than any other President except for ARGUABLY Lincoln. Didn’t he also make comments about wanting to be on Mt. Rushmore? I’m sure expectations of allegiance are high.

It’s easy for us to say throw that all away and turn on him, but we didn’t grow up with the silver spoon like him. I don’t think it would be easy to let all of that go.

Bernd Lauert

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2018
Having doubts about the validity of the election is not inciting a mob. And he disavowed white supremacy at least 38 times, more than any other president in the history of the country.

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
Having doubts about the validity of the election is not inciting a mob. And he disavowed white supremacy at least 38 times, more than any other president in the history of the country.
"Having doubts" is very disingenuous per Trump's statements on the matter.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I don't see any honor in taking an interview and then hanging up when the question you knew would be coming is asked.

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Have some backbone. Show some fight. Learn from Donald Trump,” Eric Trump said before urging them to “march on the Capitol.”

(insert spongebob a few moments later meme)

Asked directly in his interview if he felt his father incited the crowd, Eric Trump paused and then the line went dead.

Ah, gotta love hypocrisy

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtemisClydeFrog