• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apart from sarcasm, why are most "Adult" gaming fans a bunch of kids?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This is really starting to piss me off it's like no one who likes games can be serious about it, and knowing GAF this thread will probably end up being filled with stupidity but I really am being serious.

Why is it everything "video games" ultimately turns into a pissing match?

- Console wars
- Lineups
- Sale Charts

Maybe GAF isn't the best place to ask :/

VOOK

speculawyer said:
Internet+anonymity=asshole.gif

This transcends the internet though, even in person people are a bunch of morons. Maybe I'm getting old and sit of these things :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
11942kl.gif

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Definitely the wrong place to ask, ask a gamer what the "maturation" of the games industry is represented by and they'll show you Gears, MGS and KZ2. Ask the same question to a sane analyst and they'll point you to the PS2s "casual" library, the DS, and Wii.

What is defined as "Adult" games here are actually testosterone filled games aimed squarely at teenagers, whereas games like Wii Fit, Brain Training and the like are truly Adult games because they break down the barriers of gaming and appeal to the general adult populace, not just children and adults who wish they still were.

Haunted

qxl4pt.gif

Welcome to GAF?

Stop It said:
Definitely the wrong place to ask, ask a gamer what the "maturation" of the games industry is represented by and they'll show you Gears, MGS and KZ2. Ask the same question to a sane analyst and they'll point you to the PS2s "casual" library, the DS, and Wii.

What is defined as "Adult" games here are actually testosterone filled games aimed squarely at teenagers, whereas games like Wii Fit, Brain training and the like are truly Adult games because they break down the barriers of gaming and appeal to the general adult populace, not just children and adults who wish they still were.
Boring, but true.

Grayman

VOOK said:
This transcends the internet though, even in person people are a bunch of morons. Maybe I'm getting old and sit of these things :p
I have not been around anyone who gets into a pissing contest while talking about gaming.

VOOK said:
This is really starting to piss me off it's like no one who likes games can be serious about it, and knowing GAF this thread will probably end up being filled with stupidity but I really am being serious.

- Console wars
- Lineups
- Sale Charts

This isn't limited to videogames. Fanatics of any stripe can get argumentative and combative about petty, irrelevant bullshit. Turn on your local sports, religion, or politics talk radio if you don't believe me. Fistfights routinely break out over those.

Those adult fans who just consider it a hobby and nothing more are a lot more laid back about it.

VOOK said:

This is the reality of how people are though. Its not pretty but it is reality.
:) Cheer up not everyone is a man child who derives enjoyment from insulting.

One thing to keep in mind is mankind is tribal by nature. Its natural to form/join a tribe and want other tribes to "go down". The difference is maturity allows you to not view everything as an "enemy".

Crayon

before i learned; a punch was just a punch. a kick was just a kick.

once i had learned; a punch was more than a punch. a kick more than just a kick.

now that i understand; a punch is just a punch. and a kick is just a kick.

Tntnnbltn

Manmademan said:
This isn't limited to videogames. Fanatics of any stripe can get argumentative and combative about petty, irrelevant bullshit. Turn on your local sports, religion, or politics talk radio if you don't believe me. Fistfights routinely break out over those.
This. You just notice the videogame-side of things more because of your interest in videogames.

Haunted

Crayon said:
before i learned; a punch was just a punch. a kick was just a kick.

once i had learned; a punch was more than a punch. a kick more than just a kick.

now that i understand; a punch is just a punch. and a kick is just a kick.
Speaking of kicks, this thread might just be the kick in the dick in the balls we need to get vook into overdrift.

It pisses me off that we can't have a wholesome discussion on something without people accusing others of being "elitist" or "ignorant" for having opposing views.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
To add to my earlier post, it also explains why this forum is the way it is.

The current trend of games that are apparently "mature" has brainwashed a generation of gamers into thinking that they are in fact, mature and thus more clever than everyone else. This attitude has cascaded onto forums where suddenly, opinions don't exist any more, everything spouted by these "enlightened" gamers is fact and thus, hyperbole reigns supreme.

This has caused a lack of a middle ground, here and in most gaming forums, and has affected every sphere of conversation, games are either "GOTF" or "Utter Shit" and anyone who tries to moderate opinion on these games are wrong; Good examples of this are GTA4, suddenly the worst game ever after arguably the biggest hype the gaming world has ever seen, and KZ2, currently untouchable as the best game ever made, ever, shits on everything, apparently.

What is worse is how this has now invaded things like Sales Age and discussing the future of consoles, everything is now a bomba or "great success", consoles are either dead or about to sell like mad, the "Year of the" meme has got to the point where I cannot tell quite who is being cynical or sincere any more.

So, if gaming wants to be seen as truly an "Adult" hobby, the hobbyists have a lot of growing up to do.

teepo

fuck gamers. they're the most repressed group of individuals outside of weeboo fandom. nothing will change.

Aselith

VOOK said:

- Console wars
- Lineups
- Sale Charts

Someone doesn't follow sports, I guess? Or American Idol? Or Survivor? Or hang out with people much?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Arguably video-games falls in the man-child type of entertainment, which also includes cars and sports. all of which exhibit these traits (in-fighting, brand loyalty, hyperbole).

Aselith

Brobzoid said:
Arguably video-games falls in the man-child type of entertainment, which also includes cars and sports. all of which exhibit these traits (in-fighting, brand loyalty, hyperbole).

Yeah but that doesn't even cover it. This happens in politics, religion, etc. Important stuff not just entertainment. It's just basic human nature. People want to be part of something. Even if they're saying otherwise such as is the case in "individuality" culture (talking punk, goth, etc.)

Brobzoid said:

Not to mention the condescending attitude from one to the other.

Nocebo

People spend so much time with this activity, reading about it, interacting with it, talking about it that they start to associate their identity (at least in part) with it. That's when they take certain things personal.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
If you're an asshole on the internet, you're an asshole in real life as well. The main difference here is, in real life you're possibly a pussy as well, but on the internet you feel secure enough to spew out all kinds of shit.

legend166

Before the fans of the industry grow up, the industry itself has to. The amount of system war baiting by so called professionals is astounding.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If you're an asshole on the internet, you're an asshole in real life as well.

completely disagree - i'm a complete ass munch on line where as off line i'm only about 95-99% an ass munch.

It all depends - for me, the video game thing is all fun and banter. I'm not going to hate on someone over their opinion, but we will have some fun discussing it because that's what places like GAF are for.

If i ever meet these people in real life, we do what normal people do : go chat, have fun, drink, etc.

Internet is not real life.

That said, there is always the odd poster who takes it too far and, yeah, THEY are cocks in real life too but they are few and far between and , i'm glad to say, not on GAF.

Ten-Song

Nocebo said:
First reply... sort of.

Not good enough! Err... well, anyways, most of the stupid whining I see from gamers in real life has always been relatable to things like obsessive television show fans or anime otaku's, in that saying anything that doesn't align with their near religious devotion of said thing is seen as the worst offense in human history, even worse than the holocaust. Thus the whiney crybaby antics begin. Once recently I made fun of Final Fantasy games in front of some guy while talking to a friend, and this dude went off on me like I raped his grandmother right in front of him. I just laughed at him in turn and shrugged it off.

I find the internet far worse though, as it's not really the obsessive thing I see on Xbox Live, but just drunk/stoned morons and twelve year olds that think spouting racial slurs makes them awesome. The private party feature in the NXE has finally made lots of Live games playable again for me once more, as I can play with my group of friends and NOT have to listen to idiots.

Stop It said:

What is defined as "Adult" games here are actually testosterone filled games aimed squarely at teenagers, whereas games like Wii Fit, Brain Training and the like are truly Adult games because they break down the barriers of gaming and appeal to the general adult populace, not just children and adults who wish they still were.
I disagree with that.
I doubt many gamers will point at Gears or KZ2 when asked for mature/adult games. MGS arguably but I'd rather mention Ico, braid and Heavy rain.
Going for a wider audience, emphasing social interaction rather than singleplayer escapism doesn't make a game truly Adult.

Nocebo

M°°nblade said:
I disagree with that.
I doubt many gamers will point at Gears or KZ2 when asked for mature/adult games. MGS arguably but I'd rather mention Ico, braid and Heavy rain.
Going for a wider audience, emphasing social interaction rather than singleplayer escapism doesn't make a game truly Adult.
You're kidding right? Games with violence are almost always pointed at when talking about the maturity of a console.

M°°nblade said:
I disagree with that.

Silent Hill is a pretty mature series, as well. By the way, I don't mean to go on a tangent, but has there been any release information for Heavy Rain?

Because our games are so much better then everyone elses.

Everything I play is the best because I'm the best because I say so.

I don't care if people think differently, I'm right and they're wrong because I play only what is the pure essence of hardcore and because the game is on my console of choice it has to be better.

Why can't people realize that?

Anyway I'm going to keep playing games, me Flying_Phoenix, the God of real hardcore gaming.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
It's not just videogames. It's just exacerbated in videogames, because of the social-cultural ties they have to children; adults bitching over it starts to sound very childish.

But the cognitive dissonance, generated by appreciating the way something as personal as gaming is done, but having it fail to succeed, is generally what causes all these arguments. Knowing that the option or chance to extend the experience rests on the laurels of the market, it's little wonder that there's so much frustration out there.

People should instead learn to enjoy the games in their moment. If you enjoyed it, great. Not necessary to fawn over the experience and deconstruct it and elements associated with it, to the point that your self esteem becomes tied to it.

More than likely, even if it's something different, there's going to be something in the future that you'll be able to enjoy in a different way. As long as you're not super bitter about the past.

Think it's just the only thing people really care about around here, that and other forms of the entertainment industry, for a forum that some called social progressive you see a lot of segregation on something as simplistic as gaming.

Nocebo said:
You're kidding right? Games with violence are almost always pointed at when talking about the maturity of a console.
Only in the context of ELSPA, ESRB, etc... ratings.

When violence and chainsaws are selling points, whether it's a videogame or a teen horror movie, it's usually targeted towards teens who wish they were adults ... rather than adults who wish they still were children.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RadioHeadAche said:
Silent Hill is a pretty mature series, as well.
Some years back, I used to say one of the only "mature" games around was Silent Hill 2.
I still think this.

M°°nblade said:
Unluckily, no. Many gamers haven't grown past the mental age of 12 and still consider games without blood and/or tits childish.

fresquito

DCharlie said:
completely disagree - i'm a complete ass munch on line where as off line i'm only about 95-99% an ass munch.

It all depends - for me, the video game thing is all fun and banter. I'm not going to hate on someone over their opinion, but we will have some fun discussing it because that's what places like GAF are for.

If i ever meet these people in real life, we do what normal people do : go chat, have fun, drink, etc.

Internet is not real life.

That said, there is always the odd poster who takes it too far and, yeah, THEY are cocks in real life too but they are few and far between and , i'm glad to say, not on GAF.
Internet is not real life, but there's no real reason to act differently than you do in real life. You should ask yourself why you act different when online, why you act like an ass. Maybe you'll find the reasons are the above mentioned.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I try to ignore them and focus on the good posters. I usually never enter an NPD thread until a couple of days after the fact.

In fact I usually don't even notice an NPD thread until I hear it being mentioned in another thread. It's like I subconciously block it out. :lol

Nocebo

M°°nblade said:

When violence and chainsaws are selling points, whether it's a videogame or a teen horror movie, it's usually targeted towards teens who wish they were adults ... rather than adults who wish they still were children.
So called adults will say their console is mature because of GTA/KZ/Halo/Gears/etc. I guess you haven't read very many threads here on GAF? A game like WiiSports is considered to be for fetuses (feti?).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Internet is not real life, but there's no real reason to act differently than you do in real life. .

if everyone did that, the internet would be a pretty boring place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We could try "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" for a couple of days, as an experiment.

It's a slightly tangental note, but I read on the back of a recent new book (Buyology) that recent research shows the brain's response to brands to be similar to that of religion. I'm probably going to pick up that book to read more..cos I do think videogame messageboard culture represents probably a very interesting microcosm from a psychological point of view.

Tntnnbltn

VOOK said:

- Console wars
- Lineups
- Sale Charts

Weren't you the one who called SCE Australia's Michael Ephraim a "dickwad" just one hour ago for including giveaway PS3s in sales figures? :/

Just messing with ya Vook :p

VOOK

Tntnnbltn said:
Weren't you the one who called SCE Australia's Michael Ephraim a "dickwad" just one hour ago for including giveaway PS3s in sales figures? :/

Just messing with ya Vook :p

Yeah but I'm calling him a dickwad not because of his profession or chosen company to work at but because rather he bullshits and is actually a dickwad.

Top Bottom