• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2015 has been evacuated due to struct damage - Some events may be cancelled

LX_Theo

Banned
"I don't know how much you know about structural integrity and fire codes (I'm an expert)..."
Except they should have an expert hired for scouting locations. That's just common sense.

Edit: not saying it's Apex's fault, just that someone in their organization is going to be in trouble

Effect

These kinds of events tend to be booked close to a year in advance. Literally anything could change if the hotel is this shady.

From that review it looks like that is what happen. The review mentions how they had stayed their months earlier and things were okay.

"I don't know how much you know about structural integrity and fire codes (I'm an expert)..."
I'm not referencing the structural problems in any way. I'm merely saying the staff sounds shady and the hotel sounds disgusting. When we scout out hotels, we're usually looking for things like that, how clean the hotel is and how good the staff is. I wouldn't expect them to notice structural issues.

shaowebb

This is a complete wreck. Hope everyone is safe. Hotel needs raked over the coals, and taken to court for lying to everyone potentially endangering them.

DrDogg

Is there any possibility they could move this to Next Level or the Break or something? I've never been to either venue, and I'm sure they're not large enough, but maybe run a pool at a time or something so all the people who traveled didn't just waste there time and money on this unfortunate series of events.

To piggyback on this point, this is not exactly a motel, or some bed and breakfast. Clarion is a national brand, and should be held responsible for putting their guests at risk. This has nothing to do with the event scheduled -- any business traveler or any guest would be under equal danger here if the structure was unsafe.

To further expand on this, Clarion is owned by Choice Hotels International. It's their top of the line hotel brand. Other Choice Hotels are Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Econo Lodge and Sleep Inn. Staying at a Clarion is supposed to be the best of the best without jumping up to a super expensive Ritz or something.

SerTapTap

Not really. Unless the hotel collapses this weekend he was a douche who suffered serendipity.

Fire alarm guy was probably an asshole (or an idiot--it was apparently emergency doors which CAN be triggered accidentally...if you're really stupid) but this hotel needs to never host an event again until their shit's together.

People saying someone might have been arrested but it's hard to tell what's true just from tweets. I don't believe it yet but it seems possible.

Seiniyta

Not really. Unless the hotel collapses this weekend he was a douche who suffered serendipity.

You do NOT want in any case want to take the risk. Letting the tourney just go on and pretend nothing's wrong is is risking the lives of an entire fucking community. Get some common sense.

You don't take the hotel at its word and you go scout it out? It'd be nice if they had been told the truth, but I've also never really heard of not scouting a hotel out. I know that for all the conferences I've helped host, we always send a team 6 months to a year in advance to go check out the place.
I'm sure the tournament organizers are qualified building inspectors who would've noticed the structure issues immediately on their walk through.

Fire alarm guy was probably an asshole (or an idiot--it was apparently emergency doors which CAN be triggered accidentally...if you're really stupid) but this hotel needs to never host an event again until their shit's together.

People saying someone might have been arrested but it's hard to tell what's true just from tweets. I don't believe it yet but it seems possible.

Honestly, given everything about this situation, the hotel is going to be hit really hard by this. Multiple staff have been arrested reportedly, and there's definitely going to be legal action against them

Is there any possibility they could move this to Next Level or the Break or something? I've never been to either venue, and I'm sure they're not large enough, but maybe run a pool at a time or something so all the people who traveled didn't just waste there time and money on this unfortunate series of events.

This was discussed on Twitter - the problem is, there isn't enough time for waiting like that. This was going to be an enormous event - the Melee and Smash4 events are literally EVO-or-bigger scale. Four-digit entrant counts. They needed that space to get everyone through pools over the weekend, plus the side events, plus the Nintendo displays.

They need to find enough space and lodging for all these people, somehow. I can't even imagine how they're going to do it.

entremet

I still can't believe they booked the tournament at this place with those reviews.

I guess TOs all over will take this as a learning lesson.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm saying he had no idea that the hotel was unsound and knowing it was shut down doesn't necessarily mean that people would have died or been hurt. Saying he saved lives... Yeah no.

It's irony. It was most likely a prank, and then fire marshal's come out to investigate and find the building in the worst possible condition. So in ways, yeah, that dude saved lives unwittingly.

This would've been really shitty even if they had said it was unsafe after the storm, since from what I gather that was still pretty short notice, but at least then there might've been the possibility to straight up reschedule the whole event for a few months down. It'd still suck, but it would've been a lot more manageable since most people could probably find a way to minimize the issues and change plans, which isn't really possible when everyone is already down there on the day of the event

Kimosabae

Banned
I still can't believe they booked the tournament at this place with those reviews.

I guess TOs all over will take this as a learning lesson.

Are there any other reviews worth referencing outside the passed few days? To me, it sounds like the hotel had a rough week simply due to the storm and the staff wasn't prepared to handle it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This would've been really shitty even if they had said it was unsafe after the storm, since from what I gather that was still pretty short notice, but at least then there might've been the possibility to straight up reschedule the whole event for a few months down. It'd still suck, but it would've been a lot more manageable since most people could probably find a way to minimize the issues and change plans, which isn't really possible when everyone is already down there on the day of the event

That and they wouldn't have the issue of having all the setups trapped in the venue. Prog's deleted tweet gives some hope to the idea they will be able to do something somewhere else, but we'll just have to see.

Honestly, given everything about this situation, the hotel is going to be hit really hard by this. Multiple staff have been arrested reportedly, and there's definitely going to be legal action against them

Where are you seeing confirmation that hotel staff were arrested? I've only seen a tweet saying that the fire marshall stated arrests could be made. I'm sure the hotel manager(s) involved in this debacle will get fired (no pun intended) and that the parent company could have a lawsuit on their hands.

Are there any other reviews worth referencing outside the passed few days? To me, it sounds like the hotel had a rough week simply due to the storm and the staff wasn't prepared to handle it.

The issue is that they straight up lied and said it was safe and that it had been inspected. If they had said it was now unsafe, the situation would suck, but it'd be a lot more manageable and it'd be much easier to straight up reschedule the entire tournament to another date

Thorgal

These kinds of events tend to be booked close to a year in advance. Literally anything could change if the hotel is this shady.

i am not one to toss the blame pointer around willy nilly , but if i would organize an event that would include a lot of people even months beforehand i would go and scout the place out ( multiple times even ) to make sure the place is up to date with safety regulations and structurally sound .

If for some reason i am not allowed to check the place out for the event , red alarm bells would already go off in my head that something is not Right here .

So why ,yes the owners should take the major blame for this , i simply cannot say that the organizers are totally blame-free.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The issue is that they straight up lied and said it was safe and that it had been inspected. If they had said it was now unsafe, the situation would suck, but it'd be a lot more manageable and it'd be much easier to straight up reschedule the entire tournament to another date
Rescheduling is impossible. Hundreds (thousands?) of people made travel plans.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
At this point I wouldn't even feel comfortable staying in the rooms at the hotel. But all these people traveling to attend, what can they do right away? I couldn't imagine being someone flying in from Japan and having this happen.

Except they should have an expert hired for scouting locations. That's just common sense.

Edit: not saying it's Apex's fault, just that someone in their organization is going to be in trouble

WHAT? You really think Apex should have hired an expert to conduct a through inspection of the building to identify structural flaws? That's absurd.

Why on Earth would any organization ever do that? Would you hire an inspector to do this sort of thing when planning a wedding in a hotel ballroom? (Of course not.)

Society has fire and building codes and government-mandated inspections for this exact reason. Building passing inspection, it's good to go. Of course stuff like a roof collapsing is going to happen, and the kind of structural integrity flaws that cause that likely would have been caught at their next inspection date.

This is incredibly short-sighted. A room in that sort of shape might look fine with nobody inside it. But what if it collapsed due to the weight of 1,000+ participants being in the room at the same time?

DrDogg

Just exasperates the need for and expert opinion

That's not really common practice. Even organizations like MLG and IPL don't hire building inspectors to check out potential venues.

This was discussed on Twitter - the problem is, there isn't enough time for waiting like that. This was going to be an enormous event - the Melee and Smash4 events are literally EVO-or-bigger scale. Four-digit entrant counts. They needed that space to get everyone through pools over the weekend, plus the side events, plus the Nintendo displays.

They need to find enough space and lodging for all these people, somehow. I can't even imagine how they're going to do it.

I'm sure there's open event space someone moderately close by. The problem is probably figuring out how to get everyone there and the money to secure the venue on such short notice.

Is there a conversation going on somewhere? I'd like to help with this if it's a money issue. You can't have thousands of people travel for a Nintendo-sponsored event and just have it end like this. If something can be done, let's do it.

i am not one to toss the blame pointer around willy nilly , but if i would organize an event that would include a lot of people even months beforehand i would go and scout the place out to make sure the place is safe and has good ratings .

If for some reason i am not allowed to check the place out for the event , red alarm bells would already go off in my head that something is not Right here .

So why ,yes the owners should take the major blame for this , i simply cannot say that the organizers are totally blame-free.

How exactly are you going to scout out if a venue is safe? Not everyone is an architect or engineer...

It's not common sense lol

shaowebb

By the way...wasn't Nintendo supposed to announce something at APEX? I remember tweets from Apex saying something about there being something big. Has Nintendo stated whether it was going to be playable Splatoon,something else, or do we just not know anymore due to this disaster?

Anyway it goes this ruined a lot of things, people are at risk, and its likely really thrown a wrench into some stuff Nintendo was hoping to promote this weekend. Hope everyone makes it out safe.

Prediction: whole show is going to be called off. Seriously, I genuinely can see any viable way for this tournament to be held, since the fire marshal will probably ban any events until major restructuring work will be done, which will mean that Apex would have to get an equally large space immediately, and I don't think they can do it within two hours.

I would quote Murphy's Law here, but this clusterfuck takes the biscuit. There will be lawsuits, and I'll be genuinely surprised if said hotel is still in business in three months time (assuming no further collapses).

Kimosabae

Banned

Yeah, I get that. I'm strictly talking about the reviews and booking there in advance.

That and they wouldn't have the issue of having all the setups trapped in the venue. Prog's deleted tweet gives some hope to the idea they will be able to do something somewhere else, but we'll just have to see.

Yep. It would've sucked, and it would've probably hurt a bunch of people, and maybe even stopped a few from coming to the event due to issues with work or inability to get refunds, but in general the situation would be far more doable.

Honestly, finding a venue now will be extremely hard even if they try to minimize the amount of people who'd be at it by canceling some events and handling pools in hotel rooms, and that's without considering cost. It'd be cool if Nintendo tried to help front some of the cost for a new venue if they can find an option, even if they expected to be paid back eventually. That said, it's not likely and it shouldn't be expected

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
By the way...wasn't Nintendo supposed to announce something at APEX? I remember tweets from Apex saying something about there being something big. Has Nintendo stated whether it was going to be playable Splatoon,something else, or do we just not know anymore due to this disaster?

Anyway it goes this ruined a lot of things, people are at risk, and its likely really thrown a wrench into some stuff Nintendo was hoping to promote this weekend. Hope everyone makes it out safe.
It was just Splatoon playable.

Nanashrew

Banned

Yes. They even planned to do a panel dedicated to the Smash Bros. community and its future.

Rescheduling is impossible. Hundreds (thousands?) of people made travel plans.

Rescheduling now is impossible. Rescheduling earlier would've been very difficult, and would've cost a lot of entrants, but it's still somewhat doable and a lot of people could've found a way to minimize the effect of the plans and change them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Prediction: whole show is going to be called off. Seriously, I genuinely can see any viable way for this tournament to be held, since the fire marshal will probably ban any events until major restructuring work will be done, which will mean that Apex would have to get an equally large space immediately, and I don't think they can do it within two hours.

I would quote Murphy's Law here, but this clusterfuck takes the biscuit. There will be lawsuits, and I'll be genuinely surprised if said hotel is still in business in three months time (assuming no further collapses).

If anyone was going to manage to make due in this sort of situation, it would be the Smash community. Unless or until they announce the event is canceled, I have some faith they will manage something, even if it's far less than ideal. Events other than Melee and Smash 4 singles canceled, pools taking place in multiple locations from hotel rooms to McDonalds late into the night, few or no streamed matches, etc.

If they weren't able to get the setups (even if not all of them) that would totally grind things to a halt.

Top Bottom