• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends has been "hacked" by frustrated Titanfall players

JoeBudden

Apex Legends is currently unplayable on multiple platforms with players being locked out of querying into Battle Royale or Arenas game modes. Hackers have locked Apex Players out of playing the game in protest of Respawn ignoring the ongoing issue of Titanfall being unplayable due to hackers while it is currently on sale on multiple stores (ex. Steam).

What's everyone's thoughts on Respawn? Are you guys aware of the other bullshit that goes on in Apex Legends?

ManaByte

"Fix the hacking in this game or we'll continue to hack this other game."

GIF by Giphy QA

Oh wow, nothing here either.

I am pretty astonished that they have been able to post their own messages and lock the main screen down. I feel for Respawn Devs, they can never catch a break with the community.

That aside though, I’d be lying if I said my heat is aching for EA.

Balboa

Switching between main menu and lobby works for me, embarrassing situation all round. What's stopping any other hacker from filling the game with racist or transphobic text? The game has been under attack all week and I'm sure it'll keep getting worse

Titanfall players have been unable to play the game for almost a year now and nothing is being done about it:

Respawn are aware of the problem, but are seemingly unwilling to do something about it while raking in the money from the continued sales of their game. If you are worried that these hackers are actively hurting the company, then you should equally be concerned about the company hurting customers by knowingly selling an outright broken game.

Banned
as an Apex player and Titanfall fan... I am all for this... I support this... fuck EA and fuck Respawn for the state their games are in

Apex is in shambles, bugs everywhere, many that are there for multiple seasons without a fix... Titanfall is unplayable... it's a joke, a sad joke what Respawn currently does

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
OPERATION RED TAPE

Let’s save Titanfall​

Titanfall is a beloved franchise by many, and hacker issues have been at rise. The Titanfall community has been begging Respawn to fix this issue for over three years, but to no avail. Today this game is still being sold, while being completely unplayable. It's time we speak up.
SPREAD THE WORD
Header thumbnail

What is this about?

Titanfall 1 is currently unplayable on PC due to hacker(s) using exploits that prevents players from being able to play the game. This issue has been happening for years and Respawn is willingly pretending that they do not know about the situation. To this day, Titanfall 1 is still on sale on the Origin, and more recently Steam, even though it is unplayable. Respawn, the developers, have been contacted about this matter numerous times in many ways. Even when the developers have been directly contacted, as soon as the topic of the Titanfall 1 problem is brought up, they stop replying. Electronic Arts, the parent company of Respawn and publisher for Titanfall 1 are aware of the situation, with countless reports to their client support and forums over the years.
Paragraph 1 thumbnail

paragraph2_thumbnail.png

Selling a game that does not work as advertised (not being able to play in this case) without fixing the different issues and ignoring their customers is an act of fraud. It leaves no doubt that Respawn is actively ignoring this subject. Respawn and Electronic Arts have the resources to fix these issues, yet they don’t, knowingly continuing to sell a game that does not work as advertised, and doesn’t work at all. Every year Respawn is celebrating each Titanfall 1 anniversary, thanking customers for their support. Nowhere on the Origin or Steam store listings does it say that the game is unplayable, and from the reviews you can see that many people met the same fate of buying an unplayable game.
READ MORE

#SaveTitanfall

I mean, if the game is still being sold and the developers are providing online services. Then they must fix or assist to resolve the issues, I do not blame them (hackers) to try to get attention, only as far they do not steal personal information.

BlueAlpaca

I'm gonna use this thread to vent on Apex - GOD DO I HATE THE FUCKING CRAFTING.

Apex is a team game, why would the devs make it harder for the team to stick together? WHY!!? :lollipop_weary:

near

Gold Member
Respawn probably have there hands tied with this and if anyone is to blame it's EA, who more than likely have limited the allocation of resources on Titanfall years ago.

Bragr

Banned
I'm sure Respawn will get right on fixing Titanfall after the Titanfall idiots hack their cash cow and threaten them.

Banned
I'm gonna use this thread to vent on Apex - GOD DO I HATE THE FUCKING CRAFTING.

Apex is a team game, why would the devs make it harder for the team to stick together? WHY!!? :lollipop_weary:

??? why is it hard to stick together if there's crafting? I mean, if your team can't stay together because of that, it's a bad team to begin with. randoms who just run off are always a thing no matter if there's crafting... and crafting is BY FAR the least of Apex's problems. the bugs keep on stacking up and the tower of bugs has reached unimaginable heights these days.

(first up, just as a reminder for people... we are in season 9 now...)
-Valk's ultimate has multiple bugs that will basically kill you or get you killed because you will be stuck in the animation without ever moving and no way to get out of it ever again. and multiple things can cause this... I think 4 or so things have been discovered that cuase it, Revenant's ultimate for example,
-Revenant's heirloom is bugged and can fuck up his controls,
-I was unable to select my character in ranked 4 times today... I was lucky that I had my main favorited and no other player chose him or I would have been fucked,
-the weapon inspect is broken for people who use auto sprint since that feature was implemented in season 1,
-multiple pieces of geometry can spontaneously kill you... a lot of them have been that way for multiple seasons,
-multiple pieces of geometry can basically swallow items you drop for your team... again for multiple seasons,
-if you search for a random team you will be thrown in with either no teammates or missing one... a lot... ever since the auto fill option was introduced,
-some ammo boxes give you 40 bullets instead of 20... also there for 2 seasons now,
-if you switch game modes while one of your teammates was readied up, it can sometimes happen that you will be thrown into the last selected one you switched from... also for 3 seasons now at least,
-in Arenas, pinging that your Ultimate is ready in your inventory can sometimes spontaneously kill the whole server,
-Revenant's ultimate can disappear if placed in some spots, but not before he does the full animation and staying in place for multiple seconds, which can get you killed if you think you activated it and run out of cover,
-Octane's jumppad can glitch and fly away if other objects interact with it... also there for 6-7 seasons and new abilites just add to the list of things that cause it,
-if you throw a grenade sometimes your character will draw another one even tho you have none left, which will get you stuck in the animation for the duration and you will need to manually switch weapons to fix this, stealing sometimes valuable seconds from you during a fight,
-you can pick up a weapon, but instead of having it in your weapon slots you will have it in your backpack... which should be impossible... this bug I've first seen in season 2 I think,
-of course there are the issues with DDOSers and cheaters in PC, DDOSing also happens on console tho, which I have never seen in any other game of that size, it's apparently so easy anyone can do it,
-sometimes your rank at the start of a new season will not be registered correctly, so you can't play with other people even if they are on your rank... you first have to play a ranked match solo/with randoms... also there for at least 4 seasons now,
-if you have reload on hold you can't reload Rampart's Sheela turret... also for at least 4 months now, that's when I spotted the issue, could be older, but wasn't there when she was introduced,
-If you exit the Trident near a wall, you can glitch into it and get stuck there... this has been there since Olympus was introduced and hasn't even been attempted to be fixed by respawn. cost me a ranked mach once :)

these are just the issues I encountered and that I can list from the top of my mind... so this is by far not every issue the game currently has, just going on the official subreddit will reveal multiple new bugs each week/day

Last edited:

Banned
I'm sure Respawn will get right on fixing Titanfall after the Titanfall idiots hack their cash cow and threaten them.

well reporting on it FOR 12 MONTHS did nothing and the game is being sold as if nothing is wrong with it. so I mean, this is kinda their last resort

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
"Fix the hacking in this game or we'll continue to hack this other game."

GIF by Giphy QA
It might pay off. Apex is a live service game, if they lose audience, they lose money.

I sort of support this initiative, but I am afraid of what these practices will devolve into.

ManaByte

It might pay off. Apex is a live service game, if they lose audience, they lose money.

I sort of support this initiative, but I am afraid of what these practices will devolve into.

The only person it'll pay off for is EA when they fuck this guy hard for disrupting their live service game and breaching their systems.

Banned
The only person it'll pay off for is EA when they fuck this guy hard for disrupting their live service game and breaching their systems.

which will make them look even worse, because they didn't do anything to fix Titanfall for a year which has a way worse issue. a PR disaster either way IMO and that's good

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I see you POV. I would be mad if they attacked a game I played too. It's a tough balance. I wish there was a different way to get EA to pay attention.

Banned
I see you POV. I would be mad if they attacked a game I played too. It's a tough balance. I wish there was a different way to get EA to pay attention.

I play Apex daily and I am all for this... as an Apex player I am annoyed enough by the fact that they don't patch bugs that have plagued the game for months or even years... and they also can't get the cheaters and DDOSers in check either, Apex Streamers have #SaveApexRanked in their stream titles these days and barely play ranked because it is at a point where at higher ranks it's literally unplayable

??? why is it hard to stick together if there's crafting? I mean, if your team can't stay together because of that, it's a bad team to begin with. randoms who just run off are always a thing no matter if there's crafting... and crafting is BY FAR the least of Apex's problems. the bugs keep on stacking up and the tower of bugs has reached unimaginable heights these days.

(first up, just as a reminder for people... we are in season 9 now...)
-Valk's ultimate has multiple bugs that will basically kill you or get you killed because you will be stuck in the animation without ever moving and no way to get out of it ever again. and multiple things can cause this... I think 4 or so things have been discovered that cuase it, Revenant's ultimate for example,
-Revenant's heirloom is bugged and can fuck up his controls,
-I was unable to select my character in ranked 4 times today... I was lucky that I had my main favorited and no other player chose him or I would have been fucked,
-the weapon inspect is broken for people who use auto sprint since that feature was implemented in season 1,
-multiple pieces of geometry can spontaneously kill you... a lot of them have been that way for multiple seasons,
-multiple pieces of geometry can basically swallow items you drop for your team... again for multiple seasons,
-if you sear for a random team you will be thrown in with either no teammates or one missing one... a lot... ever since the auto fill option was introduced,
-some ammo boxes give you 40 bullets instead of 20... also there for 2 seasons now,
-if you switch game modes while one of your teammates was readied up, it can sometimes happen that you will be thrown into the last selected one you switched from... also for 3 seasons now at least,
-in Arenas, pinging that your Ultimate is ready in your inventory can sometimes spontaneously kill the whole server,
-Revenant's ultimate can disappear if placed in some spots, but not after he does the full animation and staying in place for multiple seconds, which can get you killed if you think you activated it and run out of cover,
-Octane's jumppad can glitch and fly away if other objects interact with it... also there for 6-7 seasons and new abilites just add to the list of things that cause it,
-if you throw a grenade sometimes your character will draw another one even tho you have none left, which will get you stuck in the animation for the duration and you will need to manually switch weapons to fix this, stealing sometimes valuable seconds from you during a fight,
-you can pick up a weapon, but instead of having it in your weapon slots you will have it in your backpack... which should be impossible... this bug I've first seen in season 2 I think,
-of course there are the issues with DDOSers and cheaters in PC, DDOSing also happens on console tho, which I have never seen in any other game of that size, it's apparently so easy anyone can do it,
-sometimes your rank at the start of a new season will not be registered correctly, so you can't play with other people even if they are on your rank... you first have to play a ranked match solo/with randoms... also there for at least 4 seasons now,
-if you have reload on hold you can't reload Rampart's Sheela turret... also for at least 4 months now, that's when I spotted the issue, could be older, but wasn't there when she was introduced,
-If you exit the Trident near a wall, you can glitch into it and get stuck there... this has been there since Olympus was introduced and hasn't even been attempted to be fixed by respawn. cost me a ranked mach once :)

these are just the issues I encountered and that I can list from the top of my mind... so this is by far not every issue the game currently has, just going on the official subreddit will reveal multiple new bugs each week/day

I can't even imagine what Titanfall 1 fans on PC must feel

Last edited:

Banned
What about moving on to another game?

they sell the game... new players buy it and can't play it. but, how about moving on from Apex then? it's 2 1/2 years old... just move on :)
next, someone should take WOW offline and then you'll be there to tell the players to move on... how about Overwatch? just move on when a script kiddie hacks the servers... just move on... what they still sell the game as if nothing happened? JUST MOVE ON!

maybe they should hack the whole of Steam next, making all steam games unplayable... just move on :)

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
they sell the game... new players buy it and can't play it. but, how about moving on from Apex then? it's 2 1/2 years old... just move on :)
next, someone should take WOW offline and then you'll be there to tell the players to move on... how about Overwatch? just move on when a script kiddie hacks the servers... just move on... what they still sell the game as if nothing happened? JUST MOVE ON!

maybe they should hack the whole of Steam next, making all steam games unplayable... just move on :)
Multiplayer games die all the time. Titanfall has been around a long while, if the developers don't support it, you move on. Titanfall ain't Overwatch or WoW, it's not evergreen.

Banned
Multiplayer games die all the time. Titanfall has been around a long while, if the developers don't support it, you move on. Titanfall ain't Overwatch or WoW, it's not evergreen.

well it's better than both no matter the age, AND THEY STILL SELL IT!
even worse, THEY RECENTLY, yes recently as in less than a year ago and WHILE the hack was already going on, released it on fucking steam!

and oh, it gets even better! THE COMMUNITY KNOWS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM and it is super easy, it's literally shown on the website the Apex hacker displays in the menu... but Respawn does not fix it... nor do they even acknowledge it beyond random people at respawn saying "we will look into it" from time to time.

so A: they still sell the game knowing it's unplayable, B: they RERELEASED the game on Steam knowing it's unplayable, and C: The community LITERALLY told them how to fix the issue but they refuse to act.
edit: D: they promote it on EA Play/Gamepass PC knowing it is unplayable

and btw. Titanfall 1, 2 and Apex use the same code base, meaning Titanfall 1 was easy as fuck to hack and now Apex was easy as fuck to hack... and they were super lucky that the hacker only changed a piece of text and mildly inconveniences players... if a guy like the individual who hacked Titanfall 1 did this, this could have been way worse. so not only is this deserved but a long overdue thing too... maybe now they will finally wake the fuck up

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
well it's better than both no matter the age, AND THEY STILL SELL IT!
even worse, THEY RECENTLY, yes recently as in less than a year ago and WHILE the hack was already going on, released it on fucking steam!

and oh, it gets even better! THE COMMUNITY KNOWS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM and it is super easy, it's literally shown on the website the Apex hacker displays in the menu... but Respawn does not fix it... nor do they even acknowledge it beyond random people at respawn saying "we will look into it" from time to time.

so A: they still sell the game knowing it's unplayable, B: they RERELEASED the game on Steam knowing it's unplayable, and C: The community LITERALLY told them how to fix the issue but they refuse to act.
edit: D: they promote it on EA Play/Gamepass PC knowing it is unplayable

and btw. Titanfall 1, 2 and Apex use the same code base, meaning Titanfall 1 was easy as fuck to hack and now Apex was easy as fuck to hack... and they were super lucky that the hacker only changed a piece of text and mildly inconveniences players... if a guy like the individual who hacked Titanfall 1 did this, this could have been way worse. so not only is this deserved but a long overdue thing too... maybe now they will finally wake the fuck up
Thousands of games are sold with defunct or old multiplayer modes that nobody plays. It's shitty by Respawn to ignore it, but it's even shitter to hack and use tactics like this. It's a fucking game.

Bragr

Banned
Titanfall 1 is multiplayer only, their is no singleplayer.
I know, but why buy an old multiplayer game? would you buy MAG if you found it in some used game bin? multiplayer games die out, it's always like this.

Banned
Why are you talking about Apex? Titanfall is a 7-year-old game, Apex is a different case.

it's not a different case. both games are being marketed, Titanfall is being sold, and has been introduced to a new store WHILE being in a state that is literally unplayable for anyone.
and all while the community wrote a fucking patch for Respawn, but respawn refuses to implement it.

and btw. the mood on Apex is changing, this actually did something. the subreddit is full of longtime members that shit on Respawn for the state all their games are in, big streamers and even people in pro teams are on twitter thinking about quitting the game because it's just too much, and the shit has been piling up to a gigantic mountain of diarrhea. Apex is in a terrible state, this hack is actually not even remotely the worst thing in the game right now. you can get around the Apex hack, all it does is display a message, and if you restart the game you can get playing again, some even report that simply going back to the start screen fixes it, or entering the firing range once.

last season there was literally a bug in the game FOR A WEEK that necessitated you trying to log in for sometimes hours.
people eventually found a trick to log in somewhat reliably, by mashing the Circle/B/Escape button like a maniac while logging in, and then pressin X/A/Enter followed by smashing on Circle/B/Escape again and do this like 2 or 3 times, which eventually will let you log in.
THAT WAS A BUG OF THE GAME that respawn took days to fix.

now half the time you queue up solo you will not get a teammate, that's also a bug RESPAWN introduced months ago and hasn't yet fixed.

so the hilarity of it all is, that this hack is not even the worst thing to happen to apex, not even the worst thing currently in the game. Respawn ruined so many background systems of the game already that the game is fucked up beyond believe even without the hack... this hack is a mild inconvenience compared to issues that were introduced by the fucking developers themselves.
I am so happy this hack happened, it's so hilarious to look at reddit and see the shitshow unfold. I could not be happier :)

Last edited:
If it's still being sold it should still be supported. There should be a grace period when sales stop support is provide for a fixed amount of time e.g. a warranty. I understand limitless support isn't viable but if they're selling it, they need to support it.

I didn't have any issues playing TF2 online this year when I jumped into some matches, I have some bugs in Apex Legends but I'm more concerrned with the cheaters on all platforms with rapid fire, auto aim, wallhacks and more. Fuck that Cronus device. It's a plague now, any mid-high level ranked and rapid fire is turned on and off at will by players to avoid bans. My personal experience only and I feel for gamers not able to play but hacking a game isn't the answer. Organise a class action lawsuit, it only takes a small number of you to get the ball rolling.

Banned
If it's still being sold it should still be supported. There should be a grace period when sales stop support is provide for a fixed amount of time e.g. a warranty. I understand limitless support isn't viable but if they're selling it, they need to support it.

the thing that is so fucked ups is, like I mentioned multiple times already in this thread, the community literally showed them how to fix Titanfall 1, the trick that the hackers use to block everyone is known and because it runs on Source engine, many people are familiar with it and know how to fix the issue.
all Respawn have to do is to LITERALLY Copy/Paste the solution... that's it... that's all they have to do.

it's so fucking hilarious tho when you realize that this hack is by far not the worst thing you will encounter when you want to play Apex Legends... like I said I played ranked this week a lot, and today alone it happened 3 times that 1 person was missing in my team... 4 times that i couldn't select my character (3 times yesterday), which could have resulted in disaster, and 2 times where a Revenant Ult just disappeared shortly after the person set it down and nearly got us killed.

so, basically, Apex is such a shitshow that even when hacked, it's not really that much worse... all you gotta do is go back to the start screen or at worst reboot the game. there have been worse login bugs that Respawn introduced after a patch than this hack.

Last edited:

Pallas

I know, but why buy an old multiplayer game? would you buy MAG if you found it in some used game bin? multiplayer games die out, it's always like this.
Primarily from a PC gamers POV this game is digital, and still being sold by EA. It’s not playable offline, everything about it is online only unlike Titanfall 2.

So your entire “used game bin” doesn’t really hold water, at least when it concerns PC players.

the thing that is so fucked ups is, like I mentioned multiple times already in this thread, the community literally showed them how to fix Titanfall 1, the trick that the hackers use to block everyone is known and because it runs on Source engine, many people are familiar with it and know how to fix the issue.
all Respawn have to do is to LITERALLY Copy/Paste the solution... that's it... that's all they have to do.

it's so fucking hilarious tho when you realize that this hack is by far not the worst thing you will encounter when you want to play Apex Legends... like I said I played ranked this week a lot, and today alone it happened 3 times that 1 person was missing in my team... 4 times that i couldn't select my character (3 times yesterday), which could have resulted in disaster, and 2 times where a Revenant Ult just disappeared shortly after the person set it down and nearly got us killed.

so, basically, Apex is such a shitshow that even when hacked, it's not really that much worse... all you gotta do is go back to the start screen or at worst reboot the game. there have been worse login bugs that Respawn introduced after a patch than this hack.

There are tons of games starting with missing players for me too. I ususally play with a buddy or two but when I'm a solo randy absolutely encounter what you're talking about and yes it sucks.

Banned
There are tons of games starting with missing players for me too. I ususally play with a buddy or two but when I'm a solo randy absolutely encounter what you're talking about and yes it sucks.

I play with one other guy at the moment, as our third is sick and unavailable atm (like he could play, but we tried and he was just not even 50% there so, bad for ranked ^_^) and we had 3 matches today where we were only 2 with no third. luckily, we are usually good enough to still place high and get decent kills (one 2 man round we got 2nd with 5 kills each... so... yeah it's doable)

that character select bug that happened the last few days tho... holy shit man, I am worried half the matches that I'll get my actual character. you can't play diamond rank with a random character you aren't good at lol. if I don't get Octane, Fuse or Valk I'm fucked... Lifeline is doable too but just about

Last edited:
Respawn is made of former Infinity Ward employees, and old CoD titles suffered the same fate on 360/PS3. You couldn’t play titles like MW/MW2/World at War/Blops because lobbies were full of hackers.

But does this only affect PC? I played the original TF on Xbone a few months ago and it was fine. Mostly dead outside of evenings, but it was fine.

Banned
Respawn is made of former Infinity Ward employees, and old CoD titles suffered the same fate on 360/PS3. You couldn’t play titles like MW/MW2/World at War/Blops because lobbies were full of hackers.

But does this only affect PC? I played the original TF on Xbone a few months ago and it was fine. Mostly dead outside of evenings, but it was fine.

yes only PC I think, but I am pretty sure, since the hacker has access to the actual servers, they could expand it to console as well. as seen here, Apex is hacked on every system and uses the same engine/online architecture

GC_DALBEN

Same here, respawn is pathetic, Apex Legends is infected by cheaters, unstable servers and now this, its a great game, but respawn is horrible and the game will die if they dont change.

Apex is the best FPS of this gen.

I haven't played much Apex out of the launch period. I definitely did see it failing to fill teams multiple times in a row the last couple of times I've tried it. Kind of annoying. As for the hack, presumably you can mess with the message of the day but still allow people to queue? Seems like that would be the 'acceptable' way to raise awareness. I'm sure there were people who were looking forward to the long weekend to get a chance to crack out on their favorite game, and this isn't going to make their goal in life to fix Titanfall 1 innit?

And as for Titanfall 1... I absolutely loved the game, and if it was still thriving I might still be playing it... But, last time I did, the 'community' was all the vets partying up with each other to stomp newbs. We're talking when the game was at under 30 players for the region, and there was like one Attrition lobby that would get going, and one Campaign lobby that would get going. But they still wouldn't split up their party to let the games be competitive and fun for everyone. Not even running 'fun' builds, just full meta weapons and Titans. I'm guessing the newer players didn't stick around long to help grow the 'community'.

So not exactly surprising that one of those short-sighted petulant cunts attacked Apex. And I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is fucking with the Titanfall servers isn't someone who got sick of the "community's" shit in the first place.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Respawn is far too busy working on the superior Jedi fallen order 2 to care about silly multiplayer games.

Top Bottom