• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends has been "hacked" by frustrated Titanfall players

Alx

the thing that is so fucked ups is, like I mentioned multiple times already in this thread, the community literally showed them how to fix Titanfall 1, the trick that the hackers use to block everyone is known and because it runs on Source engine, many people are familiar with it and know how to fix the issue.
all Respawn have to do is to LITERALLY Copy/Paste the solution... that's it... that's all they have to do.

I'm not aware of the details of the "solution", but even when the fix itself is simple, it doesn't mean it's a quick one. If anything, you're supposed to go through all the testing and certification loops when you update your software, which requires some time.

so, basically, Apex is such a shitshow that even when hacked, it's not really that much worse... all you gotta do is go back to the start screen or at worst reboot the game. there have been worse login bugs that Respawn introduced after a patch than this hack.

Nah the hackers did break the game. Sure I managed to slip in 2 or 3 times last evening after multiple tries, but that definitely spoiled my enjoyment and I quickly stopped trying. As someone who has nothing to do with the current state of Titanfall, I really don't like being used as a mean of pressure on others. It's not about defending a company, it's about being annoyed by assholes who don't care about other people than themselves ; and for people ready to say I'm doing it myself, I can sympathize with people not being able to play TF1, I would even be ready to contribute to petitions or all kinds of initiatives to ask for a better support, since I do love the game and believe it would be great for some people to keep enjoying it. But for what it's worth, if the consequence of that kind of hacking is the termination of the Titanfall servers instead of a fix, all I could say is "they had it coming".

Bragr

Banned
it's not a different case. both games are being marketed, Titanfall is being sold, and has been introduced to a new store WHILE being in a state that is literally unplayable for anyone.
and all while the community wrote a fucking patch for Respawn, but respawn refuses to implement it.

and btw. the mood on Apex is changing, this actually did something. the subreddit is full of longtime members that shit on Respawn for the state all their games are in, big streamers and even people in pro teams are on twitter thinking about quitting the game because it's just too much, and the shit has been piling up to a gigantic mountain of diarrhea. Apex is in a terrible state, this hack is actually not even remotely the worst thing in the game right now. you can get around the Apex hack, all it does is display a message, and if you restart the game you can get playing again, some even report that simply going back to the start screen fixes it, or entering the firing range once.

last season there was literally a bug in the game FOR A WEEK that necessitated you trying to log in for sometimes hours.
people eventually found a trick to log in somewhat reliably, by mashing the Circle/B/Escape button like a maniac while logging in, and then pressin X/A/Enter followed by smashing on Circle/B/Escape again and do this like 2 or 3 times, which eventually will let you log in.
THAT WAS A BUG OF THE GAME that respawn took days to fix.

now half the time you queue up solo you will not get a teammate, that's also a bug RESPAWN introduced months ago and hasn't yet fixed.

so the hilarity of it all is, that this hack is not even the worst thing to happen to apex, not even the worst thing currently in the game. Respawn ruined so many background systems of the game already that the game is fucked up beyond believe even without the hack... this hack is a mild inconvenience compared to issues that were introduced by the fucking developers themselves.
I am so happy this hack happened, it's so hilarious to look at reddit and see the shitshow unfold. I could not be happier :)
Apex is a free-to-play game with tons of players, Titanfall is not. It's different.

If a developer is poor at supporting their games, you move on. If a burger shop sells a bad burger, would you hack their computers and tell them to make a better one?

Bragr

Banned
Primarily from a PC gamers POV this game is digital, and still being sold by EA. It’s not playable offline, everything about it is online only unlike Titanfall 2.

So your entire “used game bin” doesn’t really hold water, at least when it concerns PC players.
There are many games like this, you can still buy SOCOM games that are dead with only online modes on Amazon.

Miles708

Every feature that needs active maintenance (like any online feature) will eventually be dropped or abandoned. Little Big planet games have been unplayable online for a year and all community content has been effectively lost, probably forever.

Now, is there a legal way to ask for damages to the publisher? Willingly selling a game that doesn't work doesn't seem like the most legal action to me. Time for a class action?

JoeBudden

??? why is it hard to stick together if there's crafting? I mean, if your team can't stay together because of that, it's a bad team to begin with. randoms who just run off are always a thing no matter if there's crafting... and crafting is BY FAR the least of Apex's problems. the bugs keep on stacking up and the tower of bugs has reached unimaginable heights these days.

(first up, just as a reminder for people... we are in season 9 now...)
-Valk's ultimate has multiple bugs that will basically kill you or get you killed because you will be stuck in the animation without ever moving and no way to get out of it ever again. and multiple things can cause this... I think 4 or so things have been discovered that cuase it, Revenant's ultimate for example,
-Revenant's heirloom is bugged and can fuck up his controls,
-I was unable to select my character in ranked 4 times today... I was lucky that I had my main favorited and no other player chose him or I would have been fucked,
-the weapon inspect is broken for people who use auto sprint since that feature was implemented in season 1,
-multiple pieces of geometry can spontaneously kill you... a lot of them have been that way for multiple seasons,
-multiple pieces of geometry can basically swallow items you drop for your team... again for multiple seasons,
-if you search for a random team you will be thrown in with either no teammates or missing one... a lot... ever since the auto fill option was introduced,
-some ammo boxes give you 40 bullets instead of 20... also there for 2 seasons now,
-if you switch game modes while one of your teammates was readied up, it can sometimes happen that you will be thrown into the last selected one you switched from... also for 3 seasons now at least,
-in Arenas, pinging that your Ultimate is ready in your inventory can sometimes spontaneously kill the whole server,
-Revenant's ultimate can disappear if placed in some spots, but not before he does the full animation and staying in place for multiple seconds, which can get you killed if you think you activated it and run out of cover,
-Octane's jumppad can glitch and fly away if other objects interact with it... also there for 6-7 seasons and new abilites just add to the list of things that cause it,
-if you throw a grenade sometimes your character will draw another one even tho you have none left, which will get you stuck in the animation for the duration and you will need to manually switch weapons to fix this, stealing sometimes valuable seconds from you during a fight,
-you can pick up a weapon, but instead of having it in your weapon slots you will have it in your backpack... which should be impossible... this bug I've first seen in season 2 I think,
-of course there are the issues with DDOSers and cheaters in PC, DDOSing also happens on console tho, which I have never seen in any other game of that size, it's apparently so easy anyone can do it,
-sometimes your rank at the start of a new season will not be registered correctly, so you can't play with other people even if they are on your rank... you first have to play a ranked match solo/with randoms... also there for at least 4 seasons now,
-if you have reload on hold you can't reload Rampart's Sheela turret... also for at least 4 months now, that's when I spotted the issue, could be older, but wasn't there when she was introduced,
-If you exit the Trident near a wall, you can glitch into it and get stuck there... this has been there since Olympus was introduced and hasn't even been attempted to be fixed by respawn. cost me a ranked mach once :)

these are just the issues I encountered and that I can list from the top of my mind... so this is by far not every issue the game currently has, just going on the official subreddit will reveal multiple new bugs each week/day
Fam, I could write you a book about all of Apex's issues lol.

JoeBudden

Respawn is far too busy working on the superior Jedi fallen order 2 to care about silly multiplayer games.
One day the world will be ready to have a mature discussion on how Jedi Fallen Order was really a 6/10 game under all the Star Wars high budget smoke and mirrors.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
One day the world will be ready to have a mature discussion on how Jedi Fallen Order was really a 6/10 game under all the Star Wars high budget smoke and mirrors.
More like a 7 but it’s still way better than any of those multiplayer games. 😮

Damn, not my experience with JFO at all. Loved it. All thought I don't go for the top end difficulties with games anymore so I likely just had fun the whole way through and cheap mechanics and insane difficulty grinding weren't present in my playthrough.

oagboghi2

Then why do you buy that shit lol
Why doesn’t EA fix their game?
Apex is a free-to-play game with tons of players, Titanfall is not. It's different.

If a developer is poor at supporting their games, you move on. If a burger shop sells a bad burger, would you hack their computers and tell them to make a better one?
if a restaurant sells spoiled food and people complained, would you really be rushing to the restaurants defense?

Banned

wrong, it was an 8/10 that was held back by a lack of polish and therefore only was a 7/10 at launch.
now on next gen hardware and lots of patching it finally is an 8/10

JoeBudden

wrong, it was an 8/10 that was held back by a lack of polish and therefore only was a 7/10 at launch.
now on next gen hardware and lots of patching it finally is an 8/10

It was held back by lack of creativity.

It was a poor man's imitation of a traditional souls game with a couple Uncharted-esque set pieces.

The combat wasn't tight at all, the gameplay involved wasting copious amounts of time back tracking, and the plot wasn't anything captivating.

The only redeeming things about the game was it was a high budget Star Wars game, and the cool Darth Vader fight at the end.

disappointed to not see the "It's Ironic" gif thats so popular around here.

Whats their endgame. Even if it wasn't under DDOS attack...TitanFall 1 isn't popular. Its rare to even get a full game on Xbox which is the lead platform

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
well it's better than both no matter the age, AND THEY STILL SELL IT!
even worse, THEY RECENTLY, yes recently as in less than a year ago and WHILE the hack was already going on, released it on fucking steam!

and oh, it gets even better! THE COMMUNITY KNOWS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM and it is super easy, it's literally shown on the website the Apex hacker displays in the menu... but Respawn does not fix it... nor do they even acknowledge it beyond random people at respawn saying "we will look into it" from time to time.

so A: they still sell the game knowing it's unplayable, B: they RERELEASED the game on Steam knowing it's unplayable, and C: The community LITERALLY told them how to fix the issue but they refuse to act.
edit: D: they promote it on EA Play/Gamepass PC knowing it is unplayable

and btw. Titanfall 1, 2 and Apex use the same code base, meaning Titanfall 1 was easy as fuck to hack and now Apex was easy as fuck to hack... and they were super lucky that the hacker only changed a piece of text and mildly inconveniences players... if a guy like the individual who hacked Titanfall 1 did this, this could have been way worse. so not only is this deserved but a long overdue thing too... maybe now they will finally wake the fuck up

If the community knows how to fix the problem, why don't they release an unofficial patch to fix it?

Pallas

Then why do you buy that shit lol
You wouldn’t if you were in the know but not every gamer is aware of these issues and trust companies to put out a playable game.

For instances, look how Sony handled the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco, they pulled the game because it just wasn’t in a state of being enjoyable in Sony’s eyes.

Now you have EA, selling a completely unplayable game on their store front and advertising it as playable. You see nothing wrong with that?

Banned
For instances, look how Sony handled the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco, they pulled the game because it just wasn’t in a state of being enjoyable in Sony’s eyes.

it has to be reiterated that that's not the reason it was pulled from the store, as evidenced by countless barely playable games on the PSN store.
Lichdom Battlemage was unplayable at launch (see the Digital Foundry video) was never pulled... literally ran at 10 to 15 fps, had 2min loading times after which the textures still weren't loaded in fully... yeah...

it was pulled because the was a huge influx in refund requests. and Sony doesn't have a refund system, all the other stores CP2077 is available on do have a refund system, hence why it was not pulled from those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom