• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends has had 25 million players since launch. (2 million concurrent)

Kagey K

Banned
Vince Zamplella said:
We’re also thrilled to announce that since last Monday, more than 25 million players have jumped into the game, and over the weekend we had well over 2 million concurrent players at our peak. Like I said earlier, what a week!

https://www.ea.com/news/apex-legends-25-million-players

Also a small roadmap

Vince Zampella said:
I can’t tell you everything we have planned, and we are looking at changes based on player feedback and experiences. However, I do want to call out a few things happening over the next couple of weeks.

• First up, the Twitch Rivals Apex Legends Challenge. Sponsored by our friends at Twitch, the Rivals Apex Legends Challenge will take place this Tuesday the 12th and next Tuesday the 19th, with 48 of the biggest streamers on Twitch competing live in Apex Legends. We’ll be co-streaming all the action from our Apex Legends Twitch channel here: www.twitch.tv/playapex.
  • Then, later this week we’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day by introducing some limited-time Valentine’s Day themed loot, so all you (Apex Legends) lovers out there keep your eyes open.
  • Don’t forget, Season One kicks off in March, introducing the debut of our Battle Pass as well as new Legends, weapons, loot, and more.

Last edited:

Skyr

Well deserved. Game is incredible. I’m having the best FPS multiplayer time since Quake/UT days.

bigedole

What about the game is standing out for you guys? Any thoughts on what is fueling its apparent success?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I hope somewhere on the list of things to do this week is to fix the crashes on all platforms.

If I have discord and apex running at the same time apex will crash almost every match at some random point in time. WTF is up with that? Wouldn't be such a big deal if the ingame VOIP wasn't absolute garbage.

Last edited:

MGHA

Well deserved. Game is incredible. I’m having the best FPS multiplayer time since Quake/UT days.

Thats a pretty big statement. I my self grew up with Quake 3 Arena and UT. I may have to dip in if its THAT good.

joe_zazen

Multiplayer games are thriving.

F2p multiplayer games are dominating, no doubt. I wonder how activision and take two are going to adapt. I find it hard to get excited about mtx deathmatch, so I am not exactly happy with the amount of oxygen these games suck up, but whatever.

Battle Royale Seems to have permanently and fully displaced Mobas now in terms of profits. Likely will be a major thing for the next 3 year's at minimum.

bucyou

i downloaded it and heard good things, but I got a late start to rdr2 and cannot seem to stop seeing what my merry band of thieves has next for me, when i have gaming time.

DonF

What about the game is standing out for you guys? Any thoughts on what is fueling its apparent success?
It's a very very polished game. Good graphics and excellent UI/UX. It's squad based and you can tell the game was heavily play tested for cooperation without a mic. The game runs beautifully, looks great, its super responsive. And has a very awesome skill curve. I love it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
F2p multiplayer games are dominating, no doubt. I wonder how activision and take two are going to adapt. I find it hard to get excited about mtx deathmatch, so I am not exactly happy with the amount of oxygen these games suck up, but whatever.
With the king sized revenue some of the top F2P games earn, I wonder if any of the big name shooters will abandon the $60/less gamers strategy for F2P/10s of millions of gamers.

I don't see Call of Duty doing it since they sell around 20 million copies and get lots of microtrans. But every other shooter franchise I see as fair game for testing a F2P edition.

Last edited:
You basically ignore what I said and proved my point at the same time. Overall BR is at the moment more successful in quantity. Which was the point. This is a new game that shows BR is the current money maker.

Don't be dense. Do you really have problems with reading comprehension?

This is what you wrote
Battle Royale Seems to have permanently and fully displaced Mobas now in terms of profits. Likely will be a major thing for the next 3 year's at minimum.

MOBAs have not been fully displaced. Seeing as how DOTA 2 has recently recorded 900k+ concurrent players.

Plus DOTA 2 is not as popular as LOL.

In what world is having 900k+ concurrent players "fully displaced?"

Last edited:

Valonquar

FREE GAME IS DOWNLOADED LIKE THEY ARE GIVING IT AWAY FOR FREE TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE ALREADY PLAYED TOO MUCH FORTNITE WAITING FOR SOMETHING NEW AND FREE TO COME OUT

Fbh

Fun game so well deserved.
I was completely uninterested in BR before this. But since it was by Respawn it seemed at least worth trying out and I've been having a lot of fun with this

Aside from a few connection issues I've had (though never mid game, which is good) the game runs really well and feels polished, which is a nice change from the "early access" state other similar games have launched in.

Map is great and the game looks nice

Gunplay and movement feel great

The "pin" system is simple but makes non verbal communication within the team really easy. So you can coordinate well even when playing with randoms (provided they have at least a bit of interest in working together)

The focus on "legends" (characters) gives it a bit more variety and makes it easier to focus on different roles.

FREE GAME IS DOWNLOADED LIKE THEY ARE GIVING IT AWAY FOR FREE TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE ALREADY PLAYED TOO MUCH FORTNITE WAITING FOR SOMETHING NEW AND FREE TO COME OUT

People keep bringing up this "it's free duh" argument as if every free game had 25 million downloads and 2 million concurrent players within a week

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They need BR modes where it's 1 vs 49, or 10 vs 40.

The shorthanded team's characters are suped up though..... awesome starting gear, lots more health, run faster etc..... Basically the equivalent of small number of Terminator strength soldiers vs lots of normal military dudes.

If there was a mode that was 1 vs 49, I'd watch streams of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
They need BR modes where it's 1 vs 49, or 10 vs 40.

The shorthanded team's characters are suped up though..... awesome starting gear, lots more health, run faster etc..... Basically the equivalent of small number of Terminator strength soldiers vs lots of normal military dudes.

If there was a mode that was 1 vs 49, I'd watch streams of it.
So pretty much Shroud's stream.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Its fun as shit and doesnt seem to be absolutely riddled with jank like most BR games.

Its also the closest one to halo style gunplay for me, no single bullet death crap

mcz117chief

titanfall 2 got a small spike in numbers because of this.
Both TF1 and T2. I have seen people in both saying they are checking out the game because of Apex. Yesterday in TF1 there were two full lobbies for campaign , two in Frontier Defense and about 60 people in attrition.

gioGAF

Amazing performance, I'm happy for Respawn. I still hate EA every bit as much as ever, but I didn't want Respawn to go under, they are a great team.

I do feel bad for Anthem/Bioware. This game further crowds the market, leaving Anthem in a precarious situation. There are only so many hours in a day. Bioware hasn't put out anything of worth (to me) since Mass Effect 2, so if someone has to go, Respawn > Bioware :-(

Last edited:

Phobia

Yeah I went ahead and downloaded TF2 because I never got super into it when it came out. Having a blast and I never have to wait for a match.

Yeah I went ahead and downloaded TF2 because I never got super into it when it came out. Having a blast and I never have to wait for a match.

Be sure to use the Evolved control scheme, so you can play it like mirror's edge. Also, look up you tube videos on "slide hopping" or "bunny hopping" and "grapple techniques." Hold to crouch also works better than toggle.

You'll know you're doing it right when it looks like this:

As for downloading Titanfall 2 because of Apex Legends, you're not alone. Apparently, Titanfall 2 has three to five times the number of people playing than there were last week.

Last edited:

Alx

It's a lot of fun even if you're bad at it, and you can enjoy it (and even win) with randoms .
In short, it's BR without the usual frustration of BR.

Kagey K

Banned
Even when TitanFall was at its lowest before 2 came out it still had 4000 people playing it nightly in Attrition. Not sure how well the other playlists fared, but I assume they were lower. It think it had an average 5-6K on any day years after it came out. Haven’t played much TF2 to see if the numbers are similar.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
I tried this., I played for 30 minutes? Absolute trash and a waste of my time.

Everyone has their own opinion ... but out if interest .. as a class based battle royal with cool graphics at 60fps,good balance, fun characters and lag free play .. what exactly made it trash?

Kagey K

Banned
Everyone has their own opinion ... but out if interest .. as a class based battle royal with cool graphics at 60fps,good balance, fun characters and lag free play .. what exactly made it trash?

He died quickly and didn’t adjust for the next match? Quit as soon as he was downsed instead of letting his squad revive him?

Just couldn’t figure out the loot?

There are many things that could dissuade a person if they aren’t paying attention or willing to learn.

He died quickly and didn’t adjust for the next match? Quit as soon as he was downsed instead of letting his squad revive him?

Just couldn’t figure out the loot?

There are many things that could dissuade a person if they aren’t paying attention or willing to learn.
Lmfao sounds like you saw my vid.

I'm not a fan of the genre, promised I'd try it out for friends and it was wank.

I personally like multiplayer games that have single player for me to play and get used to the controls and see if I like them before been pitted against the internet.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Lmfao sounds like you saw my vid.

I'm not a fan if a genre, promised I'd try it out for friends and it was wank.

I personally like multiplayer games that have single player for me to play and get used to the controls and see if I like them before been pitted against the internet.

I actually wish more games had bots and real interesting replayable coop modes .. to play by myself or with friends to build my skills.

It annoys me that is no longer common ..

ZywyPL

Banned
Great numbers for the developer, that's for sure. Not so sure about EA perspective tho - the game is totally free, so it's like 25M demos, that won't bring much revenue IMO.

Kagey K

Banned
Great numbers for the developer, that's for sure. Not so sure about EA perspective tho - the game is totally free, so it's like 25M demos, that won't bring much revenue IMO.

I’m pretty sure it’s bringing in some revenue. I’ve seen a few people admit to having spent 100+ dollars already, and it’s still in basic mode. That’s like saying everyone playing Fortnite is a free player.

They find ways to extract money from people willing to part with it, while also keeping us frugal players content.

I’m pretty sure it’s bringing in some revenue. I’ve seen a few people admit to having spent 100+ dollars already, and it’s still in basic mode. That’s like saying everyone playing Fortnite is a free player.

They find ways to extract money from people willing to part with it, while also keeping us frugal players content.

Such as.... this?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Ugh it makes me sick to watch, but whatever, if you have the money and choose to spend it that way, I can’t begrudge you. It’s yours do with it what you wish.

This is why free to play games are so popular now though. There are so many people thinking they can buy their way to the top, that they spend more then 5 or more paid players would ever spend buying the game.

It’s a sickening reality of how mobile gaming has influenced consoles in this gen.

Thankfully most mobile games seem to be slowing down on the F2P devices, as they can see their players getting frustrated. That means most free to play games are more fair then they used to be.

They still aren’t perfect, it they are finding the balance better.

Kagey K

Banned
I tried it, but it’s not my jam.

It is what it is, either you like it or you don’t. I’m super terrible at it because I’ve only gotten to play a few hours, while others have been at it for days already, but I keep trying again, just to see if next time is the time.

Top Bottom