• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends |OT| Beyond battle royale, Apex is classier than ever. Team deathmatch, gun run, & control added, new class system, and much more

I hate battle royale games! What's here for me?

Team Deathmatch is being added to the game for the first time ever, along with returning modes Gun Run (gun game), and Control (domination). For the first three weeks of the season, only Team Deathmatch will be available. After that, TDM and the other two previously mentioned modes will be going into a new permanent non-BR playlist called Mixtape. Each mode will be available on a rotation, much like the BR maps have a rotation. From this point on, a non-BR option will always be available to play.

In addition to this, the vast majority of challenges and battle pass goals have both a BR and a non-BR version of each goal, so it's now completely possible to finish a battle pass while ignoring the BR modes.

I like battle royale games, so what else is new?

Other major changes include a new class system for each of the legends, a new energy burst rifle, updated firing range options, and new players will be introduced to the game gradually by playing bot matches on Kings Canyon. These matches will have four human teams, and the rest will be bots. You will not move on to human only lobbies until you've played a certain amount of games, and won at least one of them.

There's also some weapon and legend tuning, with buffs and nerfs for six existing legends, along with an assortment of changes to various guns. Automatic rifles are getting less reliable hip-fire, which should make SMGs a better option when fighting a up close.

I haven't played in a while. What has been added to the game?

There are now five different BR maps in Apex legends, with two or three of them in rotation at any given time. The latest map is called broken moon, and features a high-speed zip rail system for moving around quickly. Dedicated PS5 and Xbox Series X versions of the game are now available, and support 4K at 60 fps.

Evolving shields were added to the game which increase in strength after doing enough damage to your opponents. Crafting stations were added, allowing players to purchase select upgrades for in-game crafting material. Arenas was added, but has now been removed in favor of team deathmatch.

Depending on when you last played, each previous season saw the release of a new legend, and sometimes a new weapon. The Car SMG can use light or heavy ammo. The Rampage LMG is a low fire rate high damage weapon with a seemly endless magazine of bullets. The Bocek Bow can be used for stealthy long ranged combat. The 30-30 Repeater is a high damage semiautomatic rifle. The Volt SMG has become a fan favorite energy weapon.

What isn't in this update?

For the first time ever, no new legend is being added this season. We're also not getting cross-progression support, or 120 fps on console. Both are said to still be in development.

So what are these new classes?

The new classes are assault, skirmisher, recon, controller, and support. Each comes with a specific class perk. As you'll see below, it will be very useful to have access to these perks, and you'll be less effective as a team if you ignore them. Better still, these new perks should greatly help balance legend pick-rates, and lead to a much wider variety of legends in each game.

Assault - Combat initiation and utility
Hold more ammo in each stack and access special gun-focused red supply bins.
Bangalore, Ash, Fuse, Mad Maggie, Revenant

If you like the idea of getting a nice weapon with good attachments quickly, this class is for you. The new red bins will now always have a weapon in them, and these legends will be able to open a hidden compartment on them filled with quality weapon attachments. Being able to hold more ammo in each slot also frees up more room in your inventory for extra grenades, healing items, etc. One of the most useful class perks is being reserved for some of the least-picked legends in the game, which should help add some balance to the meta.

Skirmisher - Combat mobility and escape
Reveal the contents of care packages
Wraith, Valkyrie, Octane, Horizon, Mirage, Pathfinder

All the high-mobility and frequently selected legends are here, and they're getting arguably one of the worst class perks. It does fit the class, though, because if anyone can quickly get to care packages, it's these legends. These movement legends have had some of the highest pick-rates for years, but now going into a game with three of them will remove your access to the other class perks, which should help the game balance considerably.

Recon - Enemy Intel and tracking
See where enemies are on the map for 30 seconds
Bloodhound, Crypto, Seer, Vantage

The scan-meta is getting nerfed into the ground, which is great news for players who didn't like getting constantly wall-hacked. In addition, their previous class perk is now being moved to defensive legends. Instead, these legends will now be able to see where all players are on the map (not the mini-map), for about 30 seconds after scanning the new survey beacons. Nice if you're looking for a fight, or if you'd rather avoid one. At the same time, all other players will be informed that someone has revealed their location, which could lead some players back to your location as well.

Controller - Area setup and control
Access the ring console and see the location of the next ring.
Caustic, Wattson, Rampart, Catalyst

The defensive classes are now referred to as controllers, and they're getting what used to be the scanning legend perk. This makes sense for them, as they'll now be able to see where the next ring will be, and setup choke points as needed. Knowing where the ring was going made the already great scanning legends even more important to pick, and moving such an important ability to previously less-popular defensive legends should help balance things nicely.

Support - Team survival and supply
Craft your teammates revival banners, and access the healing-focused hidden compartment in blue storage bins.
Lifeline, Loba, Gibraltar, Newcastle

Perhaps the most important class perk, these legends can bring back their teammates at any point in the game. Rather than making a risky trip back to where your buddy just fell so you can retrieve their revival banner, support legends can craft their banners for just 30 crafting points. As if being able to return your teammates to the battlefield wasn't enough, these legends are also all getting what used to be lifeline's passive perk, and will be able to open the hidden compartment on blue bins, which will now be filled with high-level healing items.

What about the new weapon?

The Nemesis burst fire rifle is being added to the game. It's a fully automatic burst fire energy weapon, so you only need to hold down the trigger and it will keep firing. As it fires, the time between bursts will decrease, making it especially effective towards the end of each magazine. This increased fire rate takes several seconds to cool down again, meaning even after a reload you'll still be at the high fire rate for a short time. This weapon is apparently starting off in a very powerful state, and will likely be nerfed later on.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Can't wait to see what the player base gonna cry about now with Seer being nerfed into the ground. Or the tiring MnK vs. Controller crybabies. Respawn letting us know that game audio doesn't matter and that's never getting fixed. I am glad to see map rotation in rank. That's good to see.

#bringbackthegoldstablizer

Banned
I really hope they will finally patch many of the lingering bugs that have not been patched for literally years at this point.

and how come they didn't implement a second loot option yet that allows you to use the right stick to loot and leave the left stick available to move while doing it?
I think one dev once said that the cursor is hard coded to the left stick, which in and of itself is TERRIBLE coding practice right there... but in 4 years you'd think they could change that right? like wtf?

or how about letting us rebind reload to a separate button from "use"? every one of the 3 reload options have some annoyance that comes with them... the default isn't even really usable I'd say

Last edited:
Is it just me or is unlocking legends for free too slow in this game? I played it a decent amount especially around launch and as the seasons went on I just didn't have enough currency to unlock the characters which fed back into just plain not wanting to play it.

Banned
Is it just me or is unlocking legends for free too slow in this game? I played it a decent amount especially around launch and as the seasons went on I just didn't have enough currency to unlock the characters which fed back into just plain not wanting to play it.

It's hard for a day 1 player like me, who plays it regularly since, to judge tbh. if you played regularly since day 1, you have SOOOOO FUCKING many Legend Token that it's almost a highlight each time you're able to buy a new legend with them, just so you can actually use the 300k to 400k Tokens you got lol...

there were only 2 unlockable characters in Season 0, so if you hit level 43 you got all legends at that point in time

and recolors aren't doing it either as they get dripfed so slowly that it's rare you got the right skin unlocked to buy one.

you get 1 legend every 20 levels btw.
600 tokens per level, 20 x 600 = 1200 = 1 Legend

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Apex is definitely the deepest and highest skill cap MP you can get right now. Respawn did a great job maintaining it but audio issue is definitely fookin annoying. Imagine your team mate's footstep registered but not the enemie's sometimes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banned
Apex is definitely the deepest and highest skill cap MP you can get right now.

I think that would be Fortnite (with building)

that game is impenetrable for a new player these days, even the skillbased matchmaking will rarely save you.

there's a reason they implemented a mode where building is turned off now... even as a returning player like I was a while ago, the build mode is just unplayable nowadays.

Rickyiez

I think that would be Fortnite (with building)

that game is impenetrable for a new player these days, even the skillbased matchmaking will rarely save you.

there's a reason they implemented a mode where building is turned off now... even as a returning player like I was a while ago, the build mode is just unplayable nowadays.
Ahh fair enough , forgotten about Fortnite with building .

Though Apex is no slouch either , people still discovering new things like Mantle jump , faster bunny hop next to wall and so on

Banned
I'll be back when they add 120fps on consoles

I really wonder what's up with that.. that can't be hard WHATSOEVER to do.
this would literally be, once again, something that can be accomplished by changing a single number in their config file... like wtf?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I really wonder what's up with that.. that can't be hard WHATSOEVER to do.
this would literally be, once again, something that can be accomplished by changing a single number in their config file... like wtf?
Here comes a conspiracy:

They haven't added it cause they fear backlash from old gen players.

Why the fuck does TDM have to be round based? Why cant it just be respawn and have a win cap? Lame

Ah that’s disappointing - should definitely be respawn based first to 100 or whatever. It’s a fast and frantic game, rounds makes no sense.

Round-based team deathmatch is the worst. It only works in Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2.

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's because games take a bit of time to setup. I don't like it either, but it's probably because the legend picking screen and other pre-game screens take a while. With TDM traditionally being a much faster mode, this could be their way of trying to prevent people from complaining about so much down time.

Banned
Here comes a conspiracy:

They haven't added it cause they fear backlash from old gen players.

I mean it would create an even more uneven playing field for sure. last gen systems already have a disadvantage due to the terribly unstable framerate.

but they could force PC style aim assist on 120fps mode to balance it.
that is the entire reason PC had weaker aim assist to begin with, because the higher framerates on PC would make controller ridiculously OP if it has the console default aim assist strength.

something they also refuse to talk about these days is cross platform progression. that was announced to release last year and didn't

Last edited:

Holammer

Why round-based? The cynic in me suspects they want to grab a piece of the spectator E-sports pie LOL & CS:GO enjoy. But not understanding that it needs a slow deliberate pace to make it work. This got the visual clusterfuck that made Overwatch or Paragon belly-flop.

Why the fuck does TDM have to be round based? Why cant it just be respawn and have a win cap? Lame

One can see how TDM has been shoehorned into existing game systems, something Respawn have a solid knack for.

It is a letdown though, I was hoping for a highly populated Aussie Halo replacement. Pity it is rounds based like old arena.

MMaRsu

Banned
One can see how TDM has been shoehorned into existing game systems, something Respawn have a solid knack for.

It is a letdown though, I was hoping for a highly populated Aussie Halo replacement. Pity it is rounds based like old arena.
Yeah im not even gonna try it. The round shit is annoying. Too much waiting.

TheShocker

Look forward to getting back into Apex. The sbmm tune and new class system sounds pretty cool.

Massively disappointed though in no cross progression yet. I know it’s coming, but over the last 6ish months or so, I’ve moved towards making the PlayStation my primary gaming console. It would cost me over $90 to unlock just the characters alone. I can easily play on my series x, so it’s not a deal breaker.

Facism

Might as well call the game World's Edge legends with how much fucking time that map sucks up in rotation. No actual changes to the map this season, either, so you get to enjoy having your games sabotaged by smooth-brain team-mates who drop Fragment without the aim or sense to prevail there.

Alx

I'm currently on a 3 months break for Apex after playing it non-stop from day 1, but I might try and get back to it. Shame that there's no new legend this time. And I'm usually more interested in Team Deathmatch than any other mode, but I'm not sure, Apex is so designed for BR that it's the only mode I usually play.

Banned
Might as well call the game World's Edge legends with how much fucking time that map sucks up in rotation. No actual changes to the map this season, either, so you get to enjoy having your games sabotaged by smooth-brain team-mates who drop Fragment without the aim or sense to prevail there.

hey Mirage Voyage is back on World's Edge! also a couple of smaller adjustments I think.

I like worlds edge... but I also never play without at least 1 friend, which helps. so if the random third wants to drop fragment we literally leave him to die there and land somewhere else... we usually don't need a third guy anyways 😎

and if we are a full 3 stack then it's no issue at all of course.

Last edited:

Facism

hey Mirage Voyage is back on World's Edge! also a couple of smaller adjustments I think.

I like worlds edge... but I also never play without at least 1 friend, which helps. so if the random third wants to drop fragment we literally leave him to die there and land somewhere else... we usually don't need a third guy anyways 😎

and if we are a full 3 stack then it's no issue at all of course.

I'm unfortunately solo queue be because of my schedule 😭 would love to have a squad to fuck with but time does not allow me

GreatnessRD

At least it's not as pathetic as in CoD.
I guess you got a point there.

It's just annoying watching the pathetic and weak cry each day instead of getting better. They nerf somebody each season after some twitch streamer goes off with a character, then the masses cry foul. Rinse and repeat. Truly fascinating, lol.

I'll be jumping on in a few hours, should have a full stack for some fun, not our strongest line up but we play for fun. Hoping for good things but at least my main man Mirage is getting some buffs. The Hemi is looking real nice with its buffs too.

Fragment needs to be gone entirely, yesterday.

BlueAlpaca

Am I hallucinating or have they changed colors or tint and nobody is talking about it?

The ring is gold from outside. Colors generally look deeper and richer.

Anyways I’m quitting this game. Less than one KDR and still getting put up against preds. Had enough of this BS.

Edit: downloading again after rage uninstall. FML.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Am I hallucinating or have they changed colors or tint and nobody is talking about it?

The ring is gold from outside. Colors generally look deeper and richer.

Anyways I’m quitting this game. Less than one KDR and still getting put up against preds. Had enough of this BS.

Edit: downloading again after rage uninstall. FML.

I thought the game looking better too. Crisper with better texture quality

BlueAlpaca

Why do cunts still drop solo instead of using no fill option?

Just recently an octane (surprise!) went solo and survived as we died so I decided to spectate. Usually they die quickly. I started to annoy him with pinging first but then he mocked me with holos and WE KICK ASS. The bastard kept sneaking and third partying his way to the final two while giving shout outs to his friends watching. He made it to 2.6k damage and then died. He did not have any damage badges on his profile so that’s a big win even if he died. I think maybe he was already a 3 or 4k player but just didn’t display them. So unfair. And there was no option to block at the end, though I read it only blocks communication and not playing with the bastard.

A few miserable games later I won and killed two octanes I think. Felt good. Still angry.

Last edited:

Banned
ok... venting incoming:

WHY CAN RESPAWN NOT DO A SINGLE THING RIGHT ANYMORE? what the fuck is wrong with that team at Apex?

of course the new TDM mode doesn't work correctly... I mean it was to be expected because it would be something absolutely new to Apex if the coding wasn't absolutely dogshit, cobbled together crap.

so not only is the TDM mode terribly designed with a round based system, which makes almost the entire enemy team leave once they are 1 round behind, but also they have a non-functioning join-in-progress system that is supposed to fill in empty spots, but also if the entire enemy team leaves YOU ARE STUCK! the game tries to fill the empty team, but can't because its broken (Arenas also had a join in progress system that never worked btw. they never fixed it for the entire time it was implemented) so you are literally stuck without enemies and the game doesn't end.

apparently there is a timer of 20!!!!!!! minutes after which you win... TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES!!!

holy crap... like... wtf?

Last edited:

Ah that’s disappointing - should definitely be respawn based first to 100 or whatever. It’s a fast and frantic game, rounds makes no sense.

Round-based team deathmatch is the worst. It only works in Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2.

ok... venting incoming:

WHY CAN RESPAWN NOT DO A SINGLE THING RIGHT ANYMORE? what the fuck is wrong with that team at Apex?

of course the new TDM mode doesn't work correctly... I mean it was to be expected because it would be something absolutely new to Apex if the coding wasn't absolutely dogshit, cobbled together crap.

so not only is the TDM mode terribly designed with a round based system, which makes almost the entire enemy team leave once they are 1 round behind, but also they have a non-functioning join-in-progress system that is supposed to fill in empty spots, but also if the entire enemy team leaves YOU ARE STUCK! the game tries to fill the empty team, but can't because its broken (Arenas also had a join in progress system that never worked btw. they never fixed it for the entire time it was implemented) so you are literally stuck without enemies and the game doesn't end.

apparently there is a timer of 20!!!!!!! minutes after which you win... TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES!!!

holy crap... like... wtf?

Well, that didn't take long.

Game does look and feel crisp, no doubt. Tried a new trios inflatables event and had some mixed fun, as usual.

Heading into TDM tonight to see how it goes. 1 Round sounds much better.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
TDM is okay. You choose one of 5 loadouts when you start and you can change it everytime you die. Both sides consist of 2 teams of 3 each, you can only talk to your own team. TDM usually gives a similar feeling in all games, but they managed to keep the Apex feeling in here, like you fighting with another squad in BR mode. But I guess I'm not sure if I like Apex, it's heroes, weapons etc anymore. I'm thinking of playing it occasionally until the event is over, but I'm not impressed enough to play Apex after that.

TDM sort of has issues as they've shoehorned into existing Apex systems e.g. two squads on each side can get a bit annoying when two lifelines just res all the time or two bangalores air strike the whole map etc. It's a bit much, something like pickups for ULTs could be trialled or longer cooldown times etc. A couple of the maps are pretty shit when the matchmaking ends up lopsided games. Quitters as usual ruin the mode overall. Again I'd like to see them return to random matchmaking based on region and solo/stacked squads.

Also had the pinnacle of trios revenge with a squad wipe on a stacked team holding me out in the circle after my two teammates quit. You can skip to 2mins for the good stuff but the whole clip gives you the build up to what I was escaping to end up where I did.

Last edited:
This is one game I won't ever be jumping back into. It was perfect until they added the second map many moons ago. After that it became unbalanced, overly and needlessly complicated for me and adding in M+KB support on consoles was a bad decision. It was fun while it lasted

Top Bottom