• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends |OT| Have you seen Titanfall 3?

Bryank75

Banned
The map design in this game is genius, it's the balance between dead space, choke points, verticality, and points of control... you know it was the team that made the maps in MW1 & 2, the best maps in COD history.

The gunplay is so intuitive, I love it. I really don't like games that rely on hit-scan mechanics. I need to "feel" the bullet traveling through the air, compensate for distance and drop etc.

I know people were saying shotguns are strong atm but, try the Wingman. It's a beast.

Fbh

Tried using him for an extended period and couldn’t find a solid case for the dome as it blocks ability to fire from within. The slow moving just wasn’t worth it.

I've found it useful in long and mid range encounters. Gives you and your team a safe space to recover health and shield. (And reload)
Specially so if you are in a rather open space

It's also useful when you are getting shot at but aren't exactly sure from where. It gives you a few seconds to figure out where the enemy is coming from.

Last edited:

Phobia

My problem is that it usually takes me a few minutes to get into the groove. If I die immediately, I'll never be able to enjoy it. Free is worth a shot though!

Unless you run right into a crowd of teams with no weapon, you won't die immediately at all. The TTK in this game is very, very forgiving!

Tried using him for an extended period and couldn’t find a solid case for the dome as it blocks ability to fire from within. The slow moving just wasn’t worth it.

Its good when you need to revive someone and especially as a lifesaver when you're in the final circles, You can go right up against the wall and poke out to land shots while going back and forth into the dome. In the main game its mostly used as a quick get outta trouble free card because it creates a barrier between you and enemies so you can break vision. Very helpful at later stages.

got my first win last night

a feature that i didnt realize was there at first, but i appreciate a ton now, is that when you pick up a new weapon all of your attachments automatically transfer over to it. makes manually moving optics and stocks over like in pubg or blackout feel so damn clunky

Phobia

It also tells you straight up when you look at something if you have something already better. Its great.

Pryor

Played it. Loved it. Bought founders pack. Unlocked Mirage. Love it even more.

I can't wait until the content starts rolling in.

Alx

Yeah love Mirage, I'm getting good results with him (well, better than with the others anyway).
I gladly paid for some currency too, mostly to support the devs. I have enough to unlock Caustic too, but I'm not sure about that, I'm halfway to unlocking him with red credits, and since there's nothing interesting to unlock with them but Legends, I may wait until I have 12000 of them.

Jaw1love

Banned
Been playing a ton since this game came out, haven't gotten any work done all week, lol, just won 3 in a row. this game honestly fuciing rocks. Never got into overwatch or fortnite or even Blackout very much, thought this game would be dumb as hell but it's just plain fun

Phobia

Yeah love Mirage, I'm getting good results with him (well, better than with the others anyway).
I gladly paid for some currency too, mostly to support the devs. I have enough to unlock Caustic too, but I'm not sure about that, I'm halfway to unlocking him with red credits, and since there's nothing interesting to unlock with them but Legends, I may wait until I have 12000 of them.

Yeah may as well just wait, then you have some credits for when the season starts next month.

Codes 208 Codes 208

Seasons Info:

Season 1: March
Season 2: June
Season 3: September
Season 4: December

All seasons will feature a battle pass, new legends, new weapons, and new loot.

Last edited:

Phobia

ep1njjatecf21.png

Someone on Reddit made this.

TIL, don't use the Mozambique EVER

Fbh

Whats up with that inconstant ttk?

I really cant win much gun fights today

It's the armours.

I'm having issues too. I guess once I get used to the different armour types and their TTK it will be different but right now I'm struggling to win gunfights. Like, for exaple I never know if it will take 2 shotgun blasts, or 3, or 5

Ten_Fold

As expected playing with randoms can really suck.

Just spent an hour with nothing but crappy teammates. People disconnecting before we even dropped, people landing and instantly running away (and dying soon after). One guy had my revival token and then proceeded to walk past like 4 revival stations without bothering to revive me, etc

Nope. But I get a "failed to connect to the EA" servers issue after pretty much every game
Yep some matches you can’t even crack top 10 teams because your teammates will just go right into fighting 3 guys alone an not play it more careful, while other times you can win or crack top 3 if your team plays as a team.

Phobia

it all comes down to the numbers I believe. If you nail a shot on them and its red, they have no armor, white and above corresponds to the armor levels going from White, Blue, Purple, Yellow. I will try and find the info graph someone made detailing it. Once I figured that out it made battles a lot easier because you don't want to rush when you're hitting 25 purple damage because you're gonna get wrecked unless you match it.

Phobia

Excuse the double post but I found this thread on Reddit with Pro-Tips from a dev.

Pro Tip: Helmets reduce headshot damage, with the amount of the reduction increasing with equipment tier:
  • White: 30% Reduction
  • Blue: 40% Reduction
  • Purple/Gold: 50% Reduction
Unlike shields, helmets never break, and never have to be restored with consumables!

Pro Tip: About gold weapons! "Fully kitted" guns are regular weapons with pre-installed attachments. The Kraber and the Mastiff are what you might call power weapons. They come with a finite amount of ammo and extra ammo cannot be obtained for them.

Pro Tip: Gold weapon attachments have unique properties, just like equipment!
  • Muzzles - Flash hider (reduces muzzle flash) Scopes -
  • Threat vision (highlights enemies, even through smoke/gas)
There are no gold stocks or magazines.

Pro Tip: Gold equipment has the same stats as Purple equipment, but with a bonus perk:
  • Helmet- Faster Tacticals and Ultimates
  • Armor- Refill shields after an execution
  • Backpack- Health and shield consumables take half as long to use
  • KO Shield - One-Time Self Revive
https://twitter.com/pinedsman
Pro Tip: when you have a good handle on all the loot, you can turn on COMPACT LOOT PROMPTS for a more streamlined HUD! It's in the Settings menu

Pro Tip: You can find gold equipment in care packages. And sometimes in Lifeline packages.

Pro Tip: Kick those doors in! You can kick and eventually destroy doors by melee'ing them! Also blow them up with grenades!

Pro Tip: All characters move at the same speed. It only feels like some characters move slower because they have a higher camera height and slower arm animations!

Pro Tip: you can wall-climb to higher areas by jumping and pushing forward. It's not covered in the tutorial but is essential!

RPS37

Good information.
Random thought about loot: I was watching Shroud’s videos and I don’t understand how he doesn’t even look at shit when he picks it up.

Hobbesian

Banned
Is there any benefit to waiting until the match is over after being eliminated? Or some penalty for dropping out early?

II_JumPeR_I

It's the armours.

I'm having issues too. I guess once I get used to the different armour types and their TTK it will be different but right now I'm struggling to win gunfights. Like, for exaple I never know if it will take 2 shotgun blasts, or 3, or 5
I know there is armor but it wasnt this bad for me days ago...

At least i got a win know on white basic armor lol
Me and my friends baited the other two squads into a fight and we took em by surprise, was hilarious.

Ivellios

Fully obsessed with the game at this point. De-throning Overwatch as my go to killing time multiplayer game.

Same here! Myself and my friends always played Overwatch, but now we are only playing Apex since the game is so fun.

Just won 2 more matches today with friends, Lifeline is the best hero for me so far, her entire kit is great, especially her shield when ressurrecting allies

Is there any benefit to waiting until the match is over after being eliminated? Or some penalty for dropping out early?

There's no benefit, other than perhaps watching players and using their gameplay to improve your own, but there's no penalty either. Although, this being Apex Legends, you should only leave once your whole squad is killed, or your banner expires. Even after death, teammates can respawn you by collecting your banner and bringing it to a respawn station.

As far as tips go, one of my favorite Titanfall content creators is back at it, and has just released a really good video detailing lots of advice that can help your game. He also runs the TF Legends you tube channel that talked about the battle pass above.

Last edited:
Anyone else thinks its weird how all the games media always talk about how they dont play multi player games or aingle player is best always seem to review multiplayer games so high

Inviusx

I'm embarrased by the fact that I was SO wrong about this game. I wrote it off in the other thread and called it a shameless fortnite/overwatch cash in but honestly after playing it for a few days it really is fantasitc.

Happy to say I was wrong about this one. Congratulations to Respawn on an awesome title.

Greedings

Unless you run right into a crowd of teams with no weapon, you won't die immediately at all. The TTK in this game is very, very forgiving!

Its good when you need to revive someone and especially as a lifesaver when you're in the final circles, You can go right up against the wall and poke out to land shots while going back and forth into the dome. In the main game its mostly used as a quick get outta trouble free card because it creates a barrier between you and enemies so you can break vision. Very helpful at later stages.

I have downloaded it and wanted to give it a try, but couldn’t connect to the servers 😣

Alx

Got my first badge yesterday (and probably last one, seeing as they all require true skill). I was lucky enough to kill a whole squad, jumping on a single guy while my teammates were battling his, and then finishing off the other two while they were looting my partners' corpses. ^_^

Good information.
Random thought about loot: I was watching Shroud’s videos and I don’t understand how he doesn’t even look at shit when he picks it up.

Professional gamers have amazing reflexes, and are able to make many decisions almost instantly. That, and once you know what you're looking for, this game pretty much tells you what you should and should not grab. Anything with the "no" symbol (a circle with a line though it), either can't be used by your character, or would be worse than the gear you currently have.

1) Weapons. Are you happy with your weapons? If so, skip this. If not, a quick glance will give you two options.

2) Ammo. There are four ammo types in the game. Grab the ammo for the weapons you're using, and move on.

3) Gear. Grab anything that doesn't have the no symbol. Gear isn't stored in your inventory, so this shouldn't require any thought.

4) Attachments. Attachments are stored on your gun, not in your inventory. So again, grab anything that doesn't have the no symbol. The one exception is if you have a favorite weapon you're hoping to find, consider grabbing a weapon specific attachment to hold onto.

5) Consumables. Grab everything that gives you health or shields. Grab and use ultimate accelerant, or give it to a teammate. Consider grabbing grenades if current inventory space allows.

Hobbesian

Banned
Questions:

Are the spawn locations of weapons/ammo/consumables etc. random?

Is there a detailed map of the arena with spawn locations out there yet?

G-Bus

Banned
Haven't really touched an fps since destiny 2 came out and I only played that for a month or so. So I'm pretty shit at this.

Still having fun though.

Tried watching some videos on YouTube for tips or what ever and holy crap there's a lot going on in this game. So much stuff to consider.

Fbh

Questions:

Are the spawn locations of weapons/ammo/consumables etc. random?

Is there a detailed map of the arena with spawn locations out there yet?

I might be completely wrong but I think spawns are random. Areas just have a "rarity" level which increases the chances of getting better stuff (and the beginning of the game you can check the map for a blue area which will have very high chances of high level gear)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i just can't get used to the awful controls. the game feels clunky as shit. it does some things right but a lot of things wrong.

mark my words in 2 months this game will be dead.

Last edited:
Played a couple of sessions with some buddies and none of us can get into it at all. I dunno, the whole game just feels very `design by committee` to me, and the gunplay feels god awful. Not a fan of the long TTK or the lack of a solo gametype. Not for me then.

Hobbesian

Banned
It's annoying that I can't explore the map on its own to become more familiar with it. Didn't know you could access the training mode after the initial introduction, though. That really speaks to the fighting game player in me.

Tesseract

Banned
this is basically the best competitive multiplayer shooter ever, there's absolutely zero fighting the controls, mechanics, systems

Tesseract

Banned
i just can't get used to the awful controls. the game feels clunky as shit. it does some things right but a lot of things wrong.

not sure if serious, if serious you are probably out of your mind

clunky is a great way to describe pubg and fortnite, not this

Hobbesian

Banned
this is basically the best competitive multiplayer shooter ever, there's absolutely zero fighting the controls, mechanics, systems

Yeah. I'm iffy about the Battle Royal aspect, but the fundamental gameplay is the best skill-based FPS experience I've had since Halo CE. That's saying a lot.

not sure if serious, if serious you are probably out of your mind

clunky is a great way to describe pubg and fortnite, not this
Seriously. It's the exact opposite of clunky. With what's happening in the DMC threads regarding this topic, I figured I'd just have to start rolling my eyes at some of these opinions.

Last edited:

Alx

Yeah I love the controls and the gunplay, really nothing wrong with it, on the contrary. I'm having a hard time mastering the long range sniping though (because of curved bullet trajectories), but it makes sense that it requires skill or the game would be a camping fest.
I finally understood why people loved the Wingman, had a game where I KO-ed 3 or 4 guys with it (not all of them turned into frags though)

Last edited:
The first season pass goes up in March, so I give it three months.

I like the game, but I think it has some serious obstacles to overcome. The lack of solo mode is a big one (you feel obligated to work as a team, but sometimes you want to do things like explore the map. If the season pass has Fortnite-like objectives, team play will be annoying). The overuse of prefab buildings creates for multiple areas in the game that feel very similar. The map, especially, needs a lot of work. There's nothing interesting or enjoyable about the characters or cosmetics. The guns don't really do much to differentiate themselves - it's mostly some form of automatic weapon. There may be differences in fire speed, ammo capacity, range, whatever, but they all kind of feel like shooting the same gun to me. I guess that's why only having two weapons isn't inconvenient (though if they ever make 3 guns worth carrying, it'll feel constrictive).

And I think the games all sort of feel the same - it's fun and I like it, but with Fortnite, you can have ten different games that all feel completely different. All this is stuff that can be ironed out over time, possibly through the season pass. But I think it all limits the game in some way and if it isn't changed, the game won't have the kind of legs that Fortnite or PUBG had.

splattered

Just got my first win this morning. All survived till the end though I was in a knock down state after taking out two members of the last opposing squad.

Game is tons of fun, movement is awesome, shooting mechanics actually feel great and accurate which is one of the major things I think this game has over garbage like fortnite.

As the game continues to do well they will invest in the title and flesh it out more.

We should sticky a poll in the OP where people vote on how long the game survives and thrives and revisit by end of year :p

Top Bottom