• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends |OT| Have you seen Titanfall 3?

Woo-Fu

Banned
patchnotes:
VALENTINES DAYS - Store items will be available starting at 6pm PST on 2/13.

• Added "Live Die Live" Banner Badge: Revive a member of your squad between 2/13 and 2/19 to earn this limited time badge.
  • Added Valentines Day cosmetic items to the store. They will be live and available in the store starting 2/13 until 2/19 and then they’re gone!
    • “Through the Heart” Longbow Epic DMR skin
    • "Love of the Game" Pathfinder banner frame

STABILITY / BUGS / PERFORMANCE / QoL

• Various improvements and tweaks to UI.
  • Extended timeout that was causing players with slower hard drives to crash.
  • Addressed a number of client and server stability issues.
  • Fixed exploit where you could keep duplicating items in your inventory.
  • Addressed a number of stability and performance issues.
  • Fixed issue where players would get a gray screen in lobby when connecting for the first time.
  • Fixed issue where your friends list showed all your friends as offline and unable to party.
  • Shortened duration of Bloodhound’s Eye of the Allfather clones to remain in the world by 1 second.

GEAR

• Arc Star now displays a grenade warning indicator.
KINGS CANYON

• Addressed a number bugs with map geo like holes you could fall through and areas that players could get stuck in plus a bunch of other polish issues.
PLAYSTATION PLUS PLAY PACK

• Art updated for the Playstation Plus Play Pack to the Flatline skin and Banner Card and changed the names to Deep Blue. This will affect all players that already have been rewarded the skins as well.
We still have a lot of work to do and we hear those frustrated by disconnects and crashes and are working to improve stability and performance as well as provide more visibility for everyone.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
this is the game of the year, and imo will go on to become the competitive shooter of the generation

i can finally uninstall pubg, black ops 4, and fortnite

this is the game of the year, and imo will go on to become the competitive shooter of the generation

i can finally uninstall pubg, black ops 4, and fortnite
I would keep pubg. Apex is definitely fun and pubg will collect dust but we will see if the developers can polish pubg

angelic

Banned
Loaded it up, tried the training. "lost sync with server". Tried again, same. So I just went into a game not knowing what I was doing, got past the fortnite looking pick a character screens, joined my squad, entered a game that looks like every other BR game out there. Dropped down with 2 players who promptly took every bit of loot by our landing zone, even hoovering up items I was trying to pick up. So I had no gun, no nothing, no idea, I ran after them, they died a few times, revived each other. It drops frames even on my pro, it left me as annoyed as every other BR game does in that it makes you work even just to find a gun, so if you cant, you're fucked.

I looked at the shop and it wants 1800 for some red robot skin, which by my reckoning is about 14 quid...for a skin. And of course the world seems to have adopted this deeply stupid game type as it's favourite...so instead of a sequel campaign to the brilliant Titanfall 2...which ended on a cliffhanger let's not forget...the world gets this thing. I'm right with Damiani on EZA...I hate it.

Shmunter

Loaded it up, tried the training. "lost sync with server". Tried again, same. So I just went into a game not knowing what I was doing, got past the fortnite looking pick a character screens, joined my squad, entered a game that looks like every other BR game out there. Dropped down with 2 players who promptly took every bit of loot by our landing zone, even hoovering up items I was trying to pick up. So I had no gun, no nothing, no idea, I ran after them, they died a few times, revived each other. It drops frames even on my pro, it left me as annoyed as every other BR game does in that it makes you work even just to find a gun, so if you cant, you're fucked.

I looked at the shop and it wants 1800 for some red robot skin, which by my reckoning is about 14 quid...for a skin. And of course the world seems to have adopted this deeply stupid game type as it's favourite...so instead of a sequel campaign to the brilliant Titanfall 2...which ended on a cliffhanger let's not forget...the world gets this thing. I'm right with Damiani on EZA...I hate it.

Hehe, don't be discouraged. With a bit of luck, find a gun next time, maybe even get a kill, and turn that frown upside down!

I don't think this is a bad game by any means, but I hate what it represents: the absolute death of originality.

Titanfall was THE most original FPS of this gen, and Apex strips away everything that made it unique and instead implements everything they can from other successful games (battle royale and all related gameplay elements, lootboxes, ultimates, even the pinging system from Battlefield, etc.).
It just feels so.. carefully orchestrated in the worst possible way to get people to plop down money for lootboxes (which, might I remind you, was a hot topic just one year ago.. how quickly gamers and journalists forget).

Greedings

Ok so I'm hooked. It's pretty great.
I will never be good enough to win, but there some some serious cinematic moments that happen. It really sparks my imagination when I play, like only TF|1 and TF|2 managed to do.

Last edited:
I mean it's a BR, you're either in or you're out at this point.

Nah. I hated the game for the first few rounds much like I've disliked every other BR game I've played, and then it clicked.
I'm still shit at it when compared to something like Titanfall, but I do well as a support character. Which, unlike any BR game I've played, this game actually allows for. Worst rounds are when you're playing with people who lone wolf it, but even then there is a certain kick in being able to get through a hotspot to save the lone wolf's bacon by bringing his banner to the beacon. Usually we die shortly after, but there's a kick in it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am so trash at this game and I don't know why. I play on PS4 and have a 4.1 K/D in PUBG, a 4.7 k/d in battlefield V and had a 3ish k/d in blackout before I abandoned that game. I mean those aren't amazing K/Ds but I am not bad at shooters. That said I suck hard at this game.

Maybe my style of play just doesn't work with the High TTK in this game? I like to flank with mid range guns and snipe, but killing anyone with anything but a shotgun in Apex seems impossible. Are mid-long range fights just completely worthless in this game? I feel like sniping is 100% worthless without a common drop bolt action.

Like in PUBG or Battlefield I can outflank a group and take the whole team out in 1 or 2 mags (or gun swap). In this game it seems to take three reloads to down 1 person. Yet I feel like I get 2 shot by shotguns and that stupid wingman pistol on the regular.

Its just weird and I am about to give up. The TTK really bothers me, esspecially late game when everyone has purple or gold armors.

Last edited:

Greedings

So I had a game where I didn't find a gun for a good 2 minutes, the was obvious shot up completely.

Opened a few containers but all of them had armour or upgrades in. I kicked one guy to death, but what exactly should you do if you can't find guns? Should i ditch my team mates and go look? Should I follow them closely and hope for the best?

Alx

So I had a game where I didn't find a gun for a good 2 minutes, the was obvious shot up completely.

Opened a few containers but all of them had armour or upgrades in. I kicked one guy to death, but what exactly should you do if you can't find guns? Should i ditch my team mates and go look? Should I follow them closely and hope for the best?

I'd say follow them to the next looting area. Either you'll find a weapon there, or your mates will drop one of their own for a better one. In the meantime you can bring support with your abilities, and they'll protect you.

waylo

Banned
Theoretically yes, but practically no. Once you reach lvl 100 you no longer get any loot boxes. At least that is what I heard.
It basically becomes a pain to get loot boxes past level 50. Once you hit 20 or so, it cuts down from one every level to one every other level. Then around 50 it becomes one every five levels. From level 1-100 you'll get a total of 45 loot boxes and that's it.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving them money for skins, however what they're asking is a bit much. $11-$18 is insane, especially for recolors on guns or character specific skins (that really aren't too great to begin with). I love this game and think it's the best BR out there, and I've tossed them $5 for the starter pack and will no doubt buy whatever pass they put out, but their individual skin pricing is pretty rotten.

I kept on trying to give this game a shot but I think I´m bowing out for good now, its just not cutting the mustard.

Long range engagements in this game just feel completely pointless to me. The long time-to-kill + fast moving targets + downed state + downed shields + invisibility/smoke/ziplines + revives makes it impossible to kill an enemy at a distance. In the 30-35ish games that I played I have never felt even remotely threatened by an enemy sniper. Someone will put 6 or 7 rounds in me before I run behind a rock for a few seconds and drink a canister of blue raspberry kool-aid and now I´m 100% again. The one time somebody actually managed to down me they couldn´t finish me off because the damn downed state has like 6 billion health and eventually a teammate just slapped me on the ass and I got back in the fight. Any time I pick up a semi-automatic rifle in this game I finish the match with 700-900 damage and 0 kills because nobody ever fucking dies unless they´re standing 5 feet away.

Sniping in this game feels like NBA defense. If I want to win the game I´m effectively being forced into this ultra mundane shotgun meta where every fight feels exactly the same.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"

I do think they need to address that, but at the same time I kind of like those situations where you're scrambling for a gun, especially if you know there are enemy players nearby. You'll never be quite so focused as when you know that racing upstairs could mean the difference between fighting back or dying in the first few minutes.

I kept on trying to give this game a shot but I think I´m bowing out for good now, its just not cutting the mustard.

Long range engagements in this game just feel completely pointless to me. The long time-to-kill + fast moving targets + downed state + downed shields + invisibility/smoke/ziplines + revives makes it impossible to kill an enemy at a distance. In the 30-35ish games that I played I have never felt even remotely threatened by an enemy sniper. Someone will put 6 or 7 rounds in me before I run behind a rock for a few seconds and drink a canister of blue raspberry kool-aid and now I´m 100% again. The one time somebody actually managed to down me they couldn´t finish me off because the damn downed state has like 6 billion health and eventually a teammate just slapped me on the ass and I got back in the fight. Any time I pick up a semi-automatic rifle in this game I finish the match with 700-900 damage and 0 kills because nobody ever fucking dies unless they´re standing 5 feet away.

Sniping in this game feels like NBA defense. If I want to win the game I´m effectively being forced into this ultra mundane shotgun meta where every fight feels exactly the same.

Long range is basically high risk, if you don't headshot then you are giving away your position needlessly. It seems the two most popular guns at the minute are Wingman and Peacekeeper, for very good reason. Combat is currently close to mid, you need to be a very good shot at long range.

I am so trash at this game and I don't know why. I play on PS4 and have a 4.1 K/D in PUBG, a 4.7 k/d in battlefield V and had a 3ish k/d in blackout before I abandoned that game. I mean those aren't amazing K/Ds but I am not bad at shooters. That said I suck hard at this game.

Maybe my style of play just doesn't work with the High TTK in this game? I like to flank with mid range guns and snipe, but killing anyone with anything but a shotgun in Apex seems impossible. Are mid-long range fights just completely worthless in this game? I feel like sniping is 100% worthless without a common drop bolt action.

Flanking is a very bad idea when three people are just going to turn on you. Flanking is a very good idea when three people have to choose between getting shot in the back by two people while trying to kill one, or getting shot in the back one person while trying to kill two.

This game is ALL about teamwork. With good teamwork, you can get kills with any weapon.

You can open up your inventory and "ping" any empty slot to tell your teammates you need that item, such as an attachment or even a weapon. That doesn't mean they'll definitely help you out, but having everyone well equipped is in the best interest of all players. It's also why all players should ping any gear that is better than what your teammates have.

And especially when it seems like you're the only team going to the landing area, break off from your team a little bit before you land. That way you can all search different buildings, making it easier to find a weapon.

they really need to buff the mozambique and p2020 or just get rid of them entirely. or nerf melee i guess

as you are actually better off not picking up either of those guns, at any point in the game

Shmunter

they really need to buff the mozambique and p2020 or just get rid of them entirely. or nerf melee i guess

as you are actually better off not picking up either of those guns, at any point in the game

Hope not, I spot the Mozambique for my teammates each time I come across it! Lol

You should watch the gameplay video I posted two posts above yours.

Greedings

I do think they need to address that, but at the same time I kind of like those situations where you're scrambling for a gun, especially if you know there are enemy players nearby. You'll never be quite so focused as when you know that racing upstairs could mean the difference between fighting back or dying in the first few minutes.

I just think every box you open should have a gun. It could be crappy, but 3 white helmets and a stock? Come on.

To be fair, it's only happened to me 1/10 games. So I don't think it's a huge problem.

Onikaan

Some thoughts.

Played over 50hrs so far. The game is incredibly fun. I've not enjoyed myself this much on an FPS since Halo 2/3/Reach.

I'm still getting used to the Time to Kill. As previously stated coming from Halo, this shouldn't be a huge curve for me but I am struggling. I expect folk to go down a hell of a lot faster than they do.

I have a few issues. When I get into firefights at close range with full squads the frames tank and occasionally the game stutters very briefly (a second, if that). Which is a real bummer because you need every frame God gave you in these intense firefights because there's just so much to deal with.

Anyone else notice this? I'm on the original Xbox one.

Last edited:
I'm still getting used to the Time to Kill. As previously stated coming from Halo, this shouldn't be a huge curve for me but I am struggling. I expect folk to go down a hell of a lot faster than they do.

The first video does a good job of listing some of the better TTK values in the game, and the second video has some good tips for winning gunfights in general. Switching to your secondary instead of reloading your primary can really help in this game.

eot

Banned
I'm so out of the loop, can someone explain to me how this game got like 10 mil players in one day, when I'd never head of it before?

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I'm so out of the loop, can someone explain to me how this game got like 10 mil players in one day, when I'd never head of it before?

A few reasons.

First, at its heart: it's just a very well-done example of battle royale. It borrows Titanfall's excellent shooting mechanics, Overwatch's emphasis on character personality, some familiar elements of multiple battle royale games and some genuinely thoughtful original touches, like the ping system (you don't need a mic to communicate well with your team) and the resurrection option. It's less "me too" and more "this is how you should do it."

And yes, being free-to-play helps a lot.

The other part, if you're being cynical, is that it had a very well-executed surprise launch. Partnering with top-tier Twitch streamers to not only help promote the game, but tune the game? That meant that a lot of people were watching, and that the streamers were going to be genuinely happy with the experience. And when the game was available right from the outset, that meant you could try the game yourself. It was the ultimate word-of-mouth marketing campaign.

Sure. The developers of Titanfall 2, one of the best reviewed and most acclaimed FPS titles in years, release a complete and fully polished free battle royale game that also happens to solve some of the most annoying issues of the genre. You can revive teammates after they die, you automatically equip the best attachments for each gun you pickup, there's a great communication tool for working with players who don't have or don't use a microphone, etc.

Then you have EA, who used their marketing budget for the game to pay the most popular streamers to tweet about the game, and play the game for a day or two. Many of them were also invited to see the game back in September and give their feedback, and many of them naturally continued to play the game once their paid videos were over.

Because it's a darn good game.

Marc

Loving this game, my first proper BR. Well, I played Fortnite a tiny bit but wasn't for me.

Got 3 wins so far with randoms and been in good positions to win but not quite got the hang of this yet. Looting is so crucial and I'm not great at finding good stuff as yet. BR gaming definitely takes some getting used to.

Mostly playing with Wraith and Gibraltar. Favourite gun is the Spitfire.

Playing on PS4, any community groups going? Gamertag is ErebusMC if you need squad member.

Sybrix

This game is really good.

Ive played lots of PUBG, lots of fun on that but tons and tons of bugs, also full of hackers.

Fortnite is meh, didnt get into it.

Played BO battle royale which was meh.

Apex is so fun to play, guns are really cool and the balance of characters is just right, no OP.

Shmunter

Biggest problem with f2p is the large base of kids. Nothing against kids, have 2 of my own who play themselves. But adults being matched with 11 yo’s gives pause, and it’s happening more often now. No such issue with Blackout, thanks to game being sold 18+ No doubt.

I wish the console holders would implement some kind of opt in age based grouping and matchmaking followed suit.

farmerboy

Biggest problem with f2p is the large base of kids. Nothing against kids, have 2 of my own who play themselves. But adults being matched with 11 yo’s gives pause, and it’s happening more often now. No such issue with Blackout, thanks to game being sold 18+ No doubt.

I wish the console holders would implement some kind of opt in age based grouping and matchmaking followed suit.

It doesn't help that these young ones have the reflexes of a cat either. Can we take this a step further; I'd like to be matchmade with other 40+ yo people who play like they've had 8 beers. Then I might find these games fun.

bilderberg

I'll never get the appeal of these games. Run around a ghost town of a map for 10 minutes until you get shot in the back. So boring.

Alx

I'll never get the appeal of these games. Run around a ghost town of a map for 10 minutes until you get shot in the back. So boring.

Unless you're the one shooting people in the back. :D
Apex is actually less frustrating on that end, with the long TTK and the squads mechanics, you have a chance to fight back or to be revived even if you get surprised by an opponent. But in games like PUBG the fact that any encounter can be instantly fatal is what makes the tension higher. I'm not into that kind of thing either, but I can see the appeal, it feels like a true survival game and not a happy go lucky shooter.

Onikaan

Unless you're the one shooting people in the back. :D
Apex is actually less frustrating on that end, with the long TTK and the squads mechanics, you have a chance to fight back or to be revived even if you get surprised by an opponent. But in games like PUBG the fact that any encounter can be instantly fatal is what makes the tension higher. I'm not into that kind of thing either, but I can see the appeal, it feels like a true survival game and not a happy go lucky shooter.

DayZ was the worst (best).

Spend 4hrs looting your way across the map only to hear CRACK! and you're gone. I think that's what made pub so successful. They crammed the fun aspects of DayZ Into 30/40 minutes. I loved Pub, but the unresolved issues caught up with it.

Apex is a breath of fresh air for me because everything else aside, it actually works.

Last edited:

-MD-

Don't land in some obscure area of the map with no enemies around like a pussy, easy.

Hot drops are optional for people wanting to get instant action.

CuNi

Sure. The developers of Titanfall 2, one of the best reviewed and most acclaimed FPS titles in years, release a complete and fully polished free battle royale game that also happens to solve some of the most annoying issues of the genre. You can revive teammates after they die, you automatically equip the best attachments for each gun you pickup, there's a great communication tool for working with players who don't have or don't use a microphone, etc.

Then you have EA, who used their marketing budget for the game to pay the most popular streamers to tweet about the game, and play the game for a day or two. Many of them were also invited to see the game back in September and give their feedback, and many of them naturally continued to play the game once their paid videos were over.

Because it's a darn good game.

Gotta second that. It got me, a huge br hater into the genre. Me and friends play the shit out of this game now.. Already 3 victories in 2 days!!

Nella

Developer who made CoD the gigantic monster that is now made a deal with the industry's richest video game publisher.

Greedings

Wow I got my first victory as kill leader with Bangalore, one team mate ditched at the start, but we still managed to pull it off.
It was a little anticlimactic though, would have liked something out of it.

Ah! 3 wins, 2 in a row.

Last edited:
Top Bottom