• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends |OT| Have you seen Titanfall 3?

UnusualSether

Neo Member
I`m so appy this game was a successful, the battle royale genre is mostly ruled by Fortnite , but this game really stuck out.

Respawn has a lot of potential, I played Titanfall 2, loved it, although it didn´t do as well as it should have and seeing respawn getting the attention they deserve makes me very happy.

It's amazing. That entire map leaked on Reddit last year, and it got absolutely no attention. Knowing the sales of the game and that Respawn was working on Star Wars, "A Titanfall Battle Royale" must have sounded completely absurd to everyone who saw that post, and the whole leak went nowhere.

Which I guess brings us to Octane. I saw this video recently that makes a pretty strong argument that either:

1) Octane is a real leak, that picture and power set is real, and they will definitely be coming to the game.
2) Octane is a really well-made fake, based on the limited amount of info that has been datamined, and the hints about two future Legends that Respawn has officially teased.

Last edited:

kbear

My playtime has plummeted over the past week. I can’t tell if it’s because of other games like Anthem and The Division 2 beta or if I’ve lost interest. It’s crazy how bad the cosmetics are in this. Legendary skins for the new Havoc rifle are literally paint jobs. EA & Respawn obviously had no idea the game would be this successful, so I’ve got no doubt they’ve allocated a lot more resources to development, but it’s gonna take time.

Boss Mog

I'm all for bitching about hitbox problems like hits registering when you're clearly shooting outside the borders of the character like it's the case with Pathfinder. But I feel like bitching about the size of hitboxes makes no sense, since in life there are people of different sizes and men are generally larger than women, so different sized hitboxes makes sense. I think Respawn did a good job balancing the legends. Gibraltar has a big hit box sure, but he's got a shield that hides his entire body while ADS, leaving only his legs and head exposed and he can reduce it even more if he crouches. Gibraltar also has BY FAR the most powerful offensive Ultimate in the game. I have killed entire teams with it. Unlike Bangalore's bombardment, you have almost no warning and you can't really dodge the blasts easily like you can with hers, you just have to try to get to shelter or out of the AoE before you die.

As for Caustic I do think the AoE for his ultimate is way too small, but if they made it much bigger then for me that would balance out his large hitbox.

In a game like Fortnite where no character you play as has any different abilities than any other, then yes, there it makes sense to have same sized hitboxes so nobody has an advantage but when it comes to Apex I feel like some characters' ultimates are OP and they should have that large hitbox to balance things out.

Helios

I'm all for bitching about hitbox problems like hits registering when you're clearly shooting outside the borders of the character like it's the case with Pathfinder. But I feel like bitching about the size of hitboxes makes no sense, since in life there are people of different sizes and men are generally larger than women, so different sized hitboxes makes sense. I think Respawn did a good job balancing the legends. Gibraltar has a big hit box sure, but he's got a shield that hides his entire body while ADS, leaving only his legs and head exposed and he can reduce it even more if he crouches. Gibraltar also has BY FAR the most powerful offensive Ultimate in the game. I have killed entire teams with it. Unlike Bangalore's bombardment, you have almost no warning and you can't really dodge the blasts easily like you can with hers, you just have to try to get to shelter or out of the AoE before you die.

As for Caustic I do think the AoE for his ultimate is way too small, but if they made it much bigger then for me that would balance out his large hitbox.

In a game like Fortnite where no character you play as has any different abilities than any other, then yes, there it makes sense to have same sized hitboxes so nobody has an advantage but when it comes to Apex I feel like some characters' ultimates are OP and they should have that large hitbox to balance things out.
I think the problem is accentuated by how small wraith is in comparison and how played she is. I'd much rather they balance the hitboxes with different HP values. While I think Gibraltar's ultimate is great I don't think his ADS shield is enough to compensate for how much more damage he takes.

Onikaan

So does anyone else play on the Original Xbox one? What's your performance like?

This games performance tanks for me everytime play and it breaks my heart. I love the gunplay and the movement but I can't enjoy it anymore. In gunfights I get microstutters, coupled with fairly regular frame drops which completely destroys my ability to shoot. Frames also crap the bed when I look toward the centre of the map.

I've also noticed pretty awful hit detection which is probably a server issue so I can't blame my Xbox for that.

Funny thing is I can't find any discusion on this stuff. No one seems to be talking about the games console performance which leads me to think that it's my machine. I really don't want to go buy a new console if it's isolated to me and gets patched. I've tried hard resetting, but no joy.

Last edited:

Guiberu

It's really, really good.

Dedicated my time with the game to learning Pathfinder, and having an absolute blast.

I'm far from "great", but that's not the point imo.

Guiberu on PC, if anyone wants to squad up.

I don't know what's worse, team-mates that instalaunch into hot zones resulting in squad annihilation within 30 seconds, or team-mates that have zero cosideration for the rest of the squad and will literally gobble up every item in an area (except mozambiques) leaving you completely exposed as they sprint off to the next area. Fuck both of those types of players.

Got few ml seconds lag playing on ps4 and my hd tv. Any of you sirs got any tip ? I lowered res to 720p and toned down the fov all the way down but still the lag that makes me lose my shit on 1 on 1s.

dorkimoe

I don't know what's worse, team-mates that instalaunch into hot zones resulting in squad annihilation within 30 seconds, or team-mates that have zero cosideration for the rest of the squad and will literally gobble up every item in an area (except mozambiques) leaving you completely exposed as they sprint off to the next area. Fuck both of those types of players.
Yeah agreed. If you are on PC you can play with me, I dont do either of those. When someone calls in a supply drop, I dont even go near it until the guy who called it in loots it. Its not mine.

Graciaus

I don't mind the first one. Better then playing for 15 minutes walking around looting without seeing anyone. Then getting squad wiped in 30 seconds. That seems to be the majority of my games.

Alx

So does anyone else play on the Original Xbox one? What's your performance like?

I'm not too sensitive to framerate in general, but the game is mostly fine for me. I do get massive slowdowns from time to time, probably because of the context (once it was when the supply ship was landing, a second time was with a massive firefight involving 3 or 4 squads). But most of the time it feels fluid.

The second kind is clearly the worst. I hate having to run after a teammate who's just sprinting everywhere without any consideration for the team. Being bad is one thing, not caring about the others is another.

It's really, really good.

Dedicated my time with the game to learning Pathfinder, and having an absolute blast.

I started playing him a lot lately (mostly because I had to catch up on the total damage to reach an achievement), and liked him a lot. His zipline ability can be very convenient towards the end of the game, especially when there are high buildings in the last circles.
I'm also trying to get better with Caustic. His barrels aren't easy to use effectively, but in the right situation they can be very strategic. We had a firefight where we seemed "trapped" in a small building, but the assaillants ended up completely disoriented by the gas coming from everywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed. If you are on PC you can play with me, I dont do either of those. When someone calls in a supply drop, I dont even go near it until the guy who called it in loots it. Its not mine.

My ID is Spaaacemonkee. Just don't play with me yet because I lost my glasses on saturday so i'm pretty rubbish right now lol.

I don't mind the first one. Better then playing for 15 minutes walking around looting without seeing anyone. Then getting squad wiped in 30 seconds. That seems to be the majority of my games.

I played about 10 games last night with 9 of them being instant launches with the same result every time, so i'm burnt out on the idea that instant action is the way to go.

Still hoping for a solo mode.

As jump master, don't launch straight away and your team mates will disconnect in disgust. Happened to me twice tonight and ended up picking up some great loot and going deep in the matches.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
ya its pretty bad. especially in gun fights where it matters. using an X has a huge advantage. im just waiting for nexgen consoles.

what if Cyberpunk 2077 is relased in 2019?

cyberpunk will have to be really special indeed to hit apex's marks. the respawn boys are on some next level shit mechanically.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This game is so polished. Great responsiveness, great graphics, very enjoyable.

If only there were more game modes than only Battle Royale, cus i hate that game mode

Boss Mog

Can't say I'm happy about the patch at all. On consoles the Wingman isn't really that OP since it's harder to aim at distance. The Peacekeeper fire-rate without at least a level 2 bolt makes it less than ideal and with the nerf now level 3 will be less than the original level 2. Also the Peacekeeper isn't that common already I usually see no more than 1 or 2 in the wild each game, in fact if I get one, most of the time it's off of a deathbox. I anticipated a nerf though so I started running with an R-99 as a finisher/close range weapon, it works very well as long as you got good attachments for it, the extended mag being the most important one.

Not happy about the nerfs to Lifeline, Bangalore and Wraith either. I think I saw a level 4 armor only once drop from a Lifeline care package and that's after being in over a hundred of matches with somebody as Lifeline, and they'll usually do 2 or 3 care packages per match. The only trophy I'm missing on the game is equipping a level 4 armor and helmet at the same time and this just reduces my already infinitely low chance of it ever occurring.

The buff to Caustic is dumb, if they wanted to buff him, they should have done something about the ridiculously small AoE of his Ultimate, which is like the size of Bangalore's smoke, when it should be the size of Gilbraltar's bombardment. They should have it explode intro several gas grenades on impact that scatter and then release the gas, that way it would prevent it from being OP indoors as the grenades wouldn't scatter through walls. Also in regards to Wraith's ultimate, she should be in the void while creating the portals, otherwise the ability is near pointless and not to mention that it wouldn't make sense for her to be outside the void while punching a portal.

I just hate nerfing in general unless it's really broken. Nerfs are what made me lose interest and stop playing BF4 when it was my favorite game and my PS4 was pretty much a BF4 box during its first year and a half.

Last edited:

Helios

I'm in two minds about the Peacekeeper/Wingman nerfs but I really don't want to see more energy weapons. I've yet to play a lot of Wraith so maybe I'm misguided but her Tactical seemed really strong and I'm glad she's getting a nerf.
I also really just want more content rather than balance changes but I understand that it takes time.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'm in two minds about the Peacekeeper/Wingman nerfs but I really don't want to see more energy weapons. I've yet to play a lot of Wraith so maybe I'm misguided but her Tactical seemed really strong and I'm glad she's getting a nerf.
I also really just want more content rather than balance changes but I understand that it takes time.
Her tactical isn't that strong tbh. It only lasts a couple of seconds and she leaves a trail and after-images when she void runs, it's pretty easy to track her movement really. Her biggest strengths as a character are her small hitbox and her passive which alerts you when you're being aimed at.

Nerfing the Peacekeeper is strange because I don't think it is that great a weapon, early game against low level armour it is good at close combat, but against blue armour + it seems to be a peashooter. Making the Peacekeeper rarer for this reason doesn't really make sense. Thankfully, i've come to prefer the EVA-8 anyway.

The Wingman you have to be accurate with, if you miss a headshot you are at the mercy of the opponent's skill and weapons, so again nerfing the Wingman seems odd. Although I agree with making the weapon rarer.

Increasing the amount of beacons for Pathfinder is useless because barely any Pathfinders actually use beacons. I can only think this change is a 'nudge' to make people actually use beacons. They are used so little that Pathfinder is my 3rd choice behind Bloodhound and Lifeline, so i can activate a beacon myself.

Alx

This game is so polished. Great responsiveness, great graphics, very enjoyable.

If only there were more game modes than only Battle Royale, cus i hate that game mode

There are many other modes available as a separate purchase that released some time ago. They're called Titanfall 2. :p

The nerfs are a questionable decision and they don´t address the real issue which is that guns that were previously non-viable (primarily snipers) aren´t any better. I think if they left the wingman and peacekeeper alone and instead just buffed the longbow and triple-take more players would be inclined to take favorable long-range engagements where a shotgun isn´t going to cause problems.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There are many other modes available as a separate purchase that released some time ago. They're called Titanfall 2. :p

Played that to death, and really want a titanfall 3 though

Salvatron

Encountered my first 'hacker' in Apex last night. Was on our team and won the game for us using some kind of aim cheat. Was literally melting guys from across the map with an R99. Apparently there was a flurry of articles last month about Apex Legends 'moderators' banning upwards of 16000 players for cheating. And now we may have some kind of in-game reporting tool being implemented soon... but man, last night's experience followed by the process of reporting the player through EA's webforms really curbed my enthusiasm for this game.

Tesseract

Banned
i've encountered cheaters 7 or so times / 200 hours, it's a bummer every time it happens

quick thoughts:

wouldn't mind titanfall's movement systems coming over, looking at double jump and wall run

need more utility items
need something that repels grenades, a propulsion charge

ultimate accelerators are boring as fuck, need banners on the little pocket phone's screen

p2020 = fine at its curve, but not fun to shoot
mozambique = same, ADS choke = nice
longbow needs damage buff, should kill in two (one to head, one to body)
peacekeeper and wingman nerfs, good
kraber and mastiff, great instagib power weapons
havok needs gimmick, maybe auto fire after initial ultron beam

some kinda slow AF bolt rifle would be good

training needs a massive overhaul, i'm sick of high skill ceiling games and their shitty barebones training modules

Ivellios

7 wins last night with my squad.

This game has given me crazy insomnia.

Congratulations!

I know the feeling, winning 5+ victories with a full squad of friends working and planning together is really fun.

That being said playing with only one friend is hard to win if your random ally dont stick together.

Thankfully duo only mode will fix this as well.

Apex is pretty fun, but I still suck at it. Better than I was ever at PUBG and the few games I played on Fortnite.

Only question is, what graphics cards do you guys play on? I play on a 1050 Ti and it seems to like to have graphical stutters a lot. I don't know if it's masterful EA coding, or if it's just the 10xx series of Nvidia cards already being out of date.

rəddəM

I'm playing with these settings:
Default controller scheme
High(4) Camera and ADS sensitivity
Small deadzones
Steady camera/ADS response curve.
I'm tired of being lvl 100 and not winning anything useful.
What's up with the launchpads near market?

Ivellios

I'm playing with these settings:
Default controller scheme
High(4) Camera and ADS sensitivity
Small deadzones
Steady camera/ADS response curve.
I'm tired of being lvl 100 and not winning anything useful.
What's up with the launchpads near market?

Supposedly they are the new Legend ultimate ability

But respawn activated it by accident?

Another possibility is they wanted to test it on the actual servers. This should be really fun for flanking enemies. One minute someone is waiting for you to peak back at them at the edge of a wall, and the next you come leaping over them with a mid-air shotgun blast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom