• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

API SDK leaks some potential new Xbox games: Fable 4, Forza Horizon 4, Perfect Dark

Blam

I would love to revisit Albion. Project name could be Wisdom. An UK Studio should do it.

I would love to play around with Ms. Dark again. The Coalition should definitely help if it’s a 3rd person game. I mean … Not them alone obviously.

I would also love to play the Crackdown 3 campaign in 4-player coop.

I would love playing Forza with the rising sun on the Horizon.

I would love to play AoE4 soon … But it‘s probably super early.

I would love to have a really high player-count (connections per session) for Xbox biggest franchise.

Oh and I think I‘m sure Phil likes Mechs.

I doubt I get anything for Conker, Banjo or Crimson Skies in the foreseeable future.

Make out of that what you want. I don’t know what is just a prototype etc.

This is what Krillobille had said on RERA.

Battlechili

Banned
I wish Microsoft would bring back Blinx
Perfect Dark is interesting but its not the old Microsoft IP I want to see make a triumphant return. Even Kameo would be more of a pleasant surprise imo.

goldenpp72

If a good Perfect Dark or Fable 4 hits in 2018 it will be the most satisfying year for this console personally, especially for PD though.

I'd be okay with this. I missed out on the original perfect dark and never played Zero. A fresh reboot of the franchise would sit well, especially if it actually made it out in 2018. Is he mostly just trying to predict what E3 announcements will be and not what games could potentially release in 2018? Mostly, I'm excited about the potential for a larger player count in Halo. I love the BTB aspect so much, and even though Warzone to me didn't quite reach the same levels of awesome, a high player count in either warzone or BTB for Halo 6 would be epic. Also hope Fable is getting retooled. Makes a lot of sense instead of just scrapping what they had developed with Legends. Or maybe they just scrapped everything and are starting over. Who knows.

Oemenia

Banned
As happy are Rare doing Sea of Thieves, I would love them to go back to one of their old singleplayer IPs. I think Perfect Dark with MS marketing and modern features could be a hit. Heck even an updated PDZ could actually be a really good game.

Also the waste of those Fable assets is a real shame.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Give me a new *good & linear* Perfect Dark and my whole opinion on you will change MS.
Agreed. I would be happy if MS could show us some cool games for E3 and shut up the critics :)

Bringing back mech assault would be good. those games were fun. I also always thought perfect dark would be better suited to be a 3rd person action/shooter game.

Last edited:

tkscz

With Dambuster Studios (the team who left Rareware that worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark who became Free Radical and made TimeSplitters) not working on this game, I have no hype nor hope with Perfect Dark.

Give me a new *good & linear* Perfect Dark and my whole opinion on you will change MS.

That's the thing though, while the level design was more linear, the way the mission structure was handled, some of them allowed you to take missions in any order that made it easier for you. I always like that. Plus level design, weapons, the missions themselves, game modes. Perfect Dark had so much going for it. Even now, the only complaint people have about the original on the N64 was frame rate and you can fix that with the expansion pak and not having it on 480p.

Last edited:

JaxBriggs

That's the thing though, while the level design was more linear, the way the mission structure was handled, some of them allowed you to take missions in any order that made it easier for you. I always like that.

He may have meant 'don't turn it into another GaaS game'.

Agreed. I would be happy if MS could show us some cool games for E3 and shut up the critics :)

Bringing back mech assault would be good. those games were fun. I also always thought perfect dark would be better suited to be a 3rd person action/shooter game.

Absolutely. Im fine with re-visiting the Halo, Gear & Horizon worlds periodically but I really would like some fresh and single player story type games from them.

With Dambuster Studios (the team who left Rareware that worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark who became Free Radical and made TimeSplitters) not working on this game, I have no hype nor hope with Perfect Dark.

That's the thing though, while the level design was more linear, the way the mission structure was handled, some of them allowed you to take missions in any order that made it easier for you. I always like that. Plus level design, weapons, the missions themselves, game modes. Perfect Dark had so much going for it. Even now, the only complaint people have about the original on the N64 was frame rate and you can fix that with the expansion pak and not having it on 480p.

It may just be nostalgia from the early 360 days, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of Perfect Dark on 360 even if it was hated on by a lot of people.

Some potentially very cool stuff there:

*Fable 4: Yes for me, hopefully it's as nice looking as legends was

Perfect Dark: Third person could be great, I didn't like PDZ tbh so a different approach definitely has me interested

Forza Horizon 4: Meh. Playground games a obviously talented studio but I've more than enough had my fill of racing games from Microsoft in all honesty particularly this generation.

I read somewhere today The Coalition are working on a new IP, now that is something that excites me, a break from the monotonous sequel factory stuff most of MS' studios have given us. Still think they could do with one or two new studios also.

These rumors sound awesome. A 3rd person Perfect Dark by the Coalition sounds amazing as does Fable from Playgrounds studio and a Horizon set in Japan. If these are all true, Microsoft might be mounting a nice comeback. I'm super excited.

And Halo 6 will be great regardless of what they do. I hope if they are including a battlegrounds element they can add a nice twist on it to make it unique.

A third person Perfect Dark entry would make perfect sense (heh). All of the titles on that wish list would be amazing though (with the right budget and talent investment).

I'll remain skeptical however, as the current era of the Xbox management team is completely incompetent in the realm of first party game development when compared to the competition.

Last edited:

01DragonFly

It hope some of the rumors are true . Forza H 4 and Fable 4 , it would be awesome to race in japan and a new fable game.

Last edited:

Unity2012

A possible Fable 4 that follows the time frame of the first two games will be amazing. I played Fable Anniversary earlier today; and besides the annoying loading times, the game is filled with great ideas, good stories and a lot of fun details. Still my favorite.

-MD-

Whenever I told my buddy MS should make a new Perfect Dark he just responded with "nobody cares about PD when they have Halo"

Lmao, hope it happens.

Alx

Fable 4 would be the first episode without Molyneux, it would be interesting to see how it turns out. I quite enjoy the serie, had a good time with all 3 episodes (and Journey, which I need to finish), but never considered them major titles.
A new Perfect Dark would be intersting, mostly because it's (kinda) new. I hope they go creative with the gameplay, and not release a standard shooter.
Forza Horizon 4 is no surprise ; as a matter of fact, it would have been surprising NOT to have a new episode this year, since the pattern Forza/Forza Horizon seems set.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No Banjo nor Conker means I am a very sad dinosaur :(.

Shifty

I'm down for Forza Horizon in japan, but I don't know about third person Perfect Dark. I'd love to see another (good) one but this smacks of "Zero was a trainwreck so take the IP and cram it into a different mould so it'll sell".

We shall see.

Blam

Whenever I told my buddy MS should make a new Perfect Dark he just responded with "nobody cares about PD when they have Halo"

Lmao, hope it happens.
I mean hey nobody cares about Halo now so it can happen.

I'm surprised they don't make use of Conker. seems like there is definitely a market for adult humour video games after the success of the south park games.

TannerDemoz

I'm surprised they don't make use of Conker. seems like there is definitely a market for adult humour video games after the success of the south park games.

Agree absolutely, and I actually think Lionhead Studios (RIP) could have nailed this given the British humour.

Perfect Dark would work well as a third person shooter but would also be great as an FPS if they focused on the tech/weaponry to avoid clashes with Halo/Gears

If they develop a new Perfect Dark game, it needs to be done right or don't do it at all. I loved Perfect Dark on N64 (and the XBLA version, despite the XBLA's lack of party system for MP). Perfect Dark Zero wasn't a bad game (for a launch title) but it just wasn't a good Perfect Dark game. It had pretty good Multiplayer, at least I thought it was fun. But I hope they go back and see what made Perfect Dark so good. It's missions, levels, and mission structure.

oldergamer

I think the original game doesn't hold up to todays standards. They are better off giving the franchise to a new team, a fresh look, and expand on the universe.

EBE

Regarding Perfect Dark I think people need to go back and reevaluate what that game actually did. It's not nearly as free form as you might remember. Weapon variety and mission objectives that change how a level is played is certainly unique but to say the original did it well is stretching it, I think. Would certainly make for a good base upon which to build a new game, though.

tkscz

I think the original game doesn't hold up to todays standards. They are better off giving the franchise to a new team, a fresh look, and expand on the universe.

I disagree. I think it stands up perfectly to today's standards. Like EBE said, it's not as free form as we remember, but it does allow for a little freedom. Hell, most FPS these days are point A to point B and usually in a straight line. The most popular FPS's today I feel aren't as good as Perfect Dark or TimeSplitters.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The Coalition are a very talented Dev, A perfect dark game from them would be amazing.
I would imagine the coalition would pretty much have free reign over how they approach it, as long as it features Joanna dark and shes a secret agent.
Personally I would think a 3rd person game would be better because they could do more with it l.
After playing gears 4 a PD game done by coalition could be as good as a naughty dog game.
Also because it would be a reboot it will feel very fresh.

PG games doing a fable game is a great idea, I think they could pull it off as they are another very talented dev.
If these are there type of games in MS's future they will be very competitive.

oldergamer

I disagree. I think it stands up perfectly to today's standards. Like EBE said, it's not as free form as we remember, but it does allow for a little freedom. Hell, most FPS these days are point A to point B and usually in a straight line. The most popular FPS's today I feel aren't as good as Perfect Dark or TimeSplitters.
That still doesnt live up to todays standards, which is my point. If you reall think most fps shooters today are simply point A to B, then you've only played a small portion of shooters ( and likely not the best in the genre). PD may have given the impression it had some freeform play but for the most part it was point A to B.

This is coming from someone who isnt big on the first person genre. Imo i think PD was good for its time, it was really one of the first original console fps games and has a nostalgic vibe like the first halo. Since it did things right (at the time). However the barrel shooting days dont really hold up to what gamers now expect. I think the time splitter series also showed this based on dwindling popularity.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

It worked for killer instinct. I hope they at least consult some people from the original team at least.

tkscz

That still doesnt live up to todays standards, which is my point. If you reall think most fps shooters today are simply point A to B, then you've only played a small portion of shooters ( and likely not the best in the genre). PD may have given the impression it had some freeform play but for the most part it was point A to B.

This is coming from someone who isnt big on the first person genre. Imo i think PD was good for its time, it was really one of the first original console fps games and has a nostalgic vibe like the first halo. Since it did things right (at the time). However the barrel shooting days dont really hold up to what gamers now expect. I think the time splitter series also showed this based on dwindling popularity.

Looking just at the last 3 years, FPS are either something adventurous like Bioshock, something multiplayer based like OverWatch, or something point A to B like Halo or CoD. There have been more arcadey ones like Super Hot or DOOM, but the majority of them work in an A to B type fashion. Complete mission A, then mission B pops up and just walking forward gets you there.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

perfect dark by the Coalition will be far beyond what rares games are.
There no reason to think Coalition wont incorporate modern day game design and evolutions along with flexing there own creative muscles and introducing there own inovations.
Microsoft probably said to coalition we want you to reboot perfect dark, pitch us stuff.So If the rumours are true im confident the Coalition will have a lot of creative freedom.
It makes no sense to try and continue perfect dark where rare left it

Just thinking about a next gen perfect dark fills my head with ideas.
Imagine a mix of blade runner/hitman/uncharted 4.

Should be a fun E3 this year!

Perfect dark would make sense as more of an Uncharted style game if it's 3rd person. Maybe with a more tactical Splinter Cell style slant, instead of a Sony full blown interactive movie. Plus MS really don't need another FPS.

Playground working on a new Fable is interesting. I think they can pull it off for sure.

Now I just need good reason to buy a Scorpio!

oldergamer

T
Just thinking about a next gen perfect dark fills my head with ideas.
Imagine a mix of blade runner/hitman/uncharted 4.

So it's odd you think of these movie+games, I was thinking something similar after this thread started. MS does want a game similar to uncharted, however I didn't want to suggest it and get peoples hopes up. However now people can blame you :p

Sounds good to me. I miss MechAssault so bad and imagine it with Chromehounds/Crossout style customization for multiplayer. MMMMMMMMM

Top Bottom