Apparently, all the Wii Us were recalled at my local Best Buy

Dec 18, 2014
I'm waiting for someone to say this is some brilliantly crafted marketing strategy to create a buzz for Switch....or something.

"Wii Us being pulled from stores. FEEL DAT SWITCH HYPE!!!!'

Dec 2, 2012
At the Target I work at, we haven't even had a place to put Wii U's on the shelf for a while now.

And yes, we still get 3DS's and have the usual space for those. It can look like we don't get any though because of how quickly they sell out.

Feb 24, 2013
Interesting... there was some scuttlebutt over the weekend among games writers I follow that Nintendo hardware has become really difficult to find in stores. Wonder if they're just wiping the slate clean and clearing the runway for the Switch?

Apr 26, 2014
Nintendo responds: "Eat shit, and pay what we say. And buy an NES Mini while you're at it to tide yourself over until we shove the Switch down your throat, fuckface."

But that's just my opinion of what Nintendo thinks of its customers.
Someone needs to throw this quote on top of the Reggie-shrug gif. Lol.

Mar 6, 2012
It's a little selfish but I hope this means they aren't going to update the system firmware any more. Let me have my Retroarch, I'll buy BotW when it comes out, promise.

Oct 20, 2013
So, I checked my local Targets, Best Buys, and Wal-Marts.

None of them have any new Wii Us for sale. In the entire DC area.

The Best Buy I went to in Potomac Yard had one for sale as recently as Tuesday of last week; I know that because I went in there for something else and my wife was asking about getting one eventually.

Looks like she's getting a Switch instead.

Feb 24, 2013
You can still get the MK8 bundle from Walmart, that's all I'm finding. They really are killing this thing at the source.

I'm guessing they want absolutely zero market confusion about the Switch when it comes out. Potentially a smart move, though it sucks for people who might have been hoping to get a cheap Wii U.

Dec 18, 2014
You can still get the MK8 bundle from Walmart, that's all I'm finding. They really are killing this thing at the source.

I'm guessing they want absolutely zero market confusion about the Switch when it comes out. Potentially a smart move, though it sucks for people who might have been hoping to get a cheap Wii U.
I'm just wondering why they just didn't spend the last year with clear-out prices if they're ultimately just recalling them and making zero on it. I mean yeah, bumping up the install base a bit through clearout sales wasn't going to shift fortunes at this point, but is it simplistic in this instance to think that a half loaf was better than nothing? People who bought the system this year at reduced pricing are still going to buy software for the thing.

Jun 7, 2004
I'm just wondering why they just didn't spend the last year with clear-out prices if they're ultimately just recalling them and making zero on it. I mean yeah, bumping up the install base a bit through clearout sales wasn't going to shift fortunes at this point, but is it simplistic in this instance to think that a half loaf was better than nothing? People who bought the system this year at reduced pricing are still going to buy software for the thing.
If these things were sitting on store shelves, Nintendo already made their money on them.

Feb 24, 2013
They don't want anyone to go into a store when the Switch comes out and:

1. Decide to buy a Wii U because it's cheaper.
2. Not understand the difference between the two platforms and buy a Wii U on accident.
3. Not be able to get a Switch because of high demand and buy a Wii U instead, getting stuck on a languishing platform.

Jan 22, 2010
I heard the employees at Best Buy earlier they were out of WiiU's so maybe it has something to do with this? I'll report back later when I go to another Best Buy

Jan 12, 2005
CA
Fuuck, was waiting on the "inevitable" price drop :/

If I want one should I be running out tonight to pick one up or what? Are we super sure Wii U games won't be backwards compatible with Switch "somehow"?

Feb 24, 2013

If I want one should I be running out tonight to pick one up or what? Are we super sure Wii U games won't be backwards compatible with Switch "somehow"?
If you can even find one. The only thing I'm seeing in stock at stores near me is used or refurb ones at GameStop

Apr 19, 2011
5 years from now, NIB Wii Us will be fetching $450+ as a whole movement starts up talking about how Wii U was actually Nintendo's best console.
In the apocalyptic wasteland of 2021, pirate Super Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 servers established after Nintendo cuts off access will drive up demand for original Wii U hardware as the new generation of players reject the mobile direction both franchises take.

Jul 7, 2014
Brooklyn
5 years from now, NIB Wii Us will be fetching $450+ as a whole movement starts up talking about how Wii U was actually Nintendo's best console.
there's tons of people (myself included) who've been screaming from the rooftops for a couple of years about how the WiiU has the best library of any Nintendo system since the SNES :\

Aug 12, 2015
They are probably worried that people will get confused again like from the Wii -> Wii U. That's pretty sad.

there's tons of people (myself included) who've been screaming from the rooftops for a couple of years about how the WiiU has the best library of any Nintendo system since the SNES :\
That's some fucking hyperbole right there.

Apr 3, 2013

It looks like the best way at this point is the $200 refurb from Nintendo, which is usually just a brand new one.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

Or with 3D Land for $215: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?&productId=prod560316

Feb 16, 2010
Mars
In the apocalyptic wasteland of 2021, pirate Super Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 servers established after Nintendo cuts off access will drive up demand for original Wii U hardware as the new generation of players reject the mobile direction both franchises take.

I think the Wii U lineup was awesome too. Holding on to mine.

Aug 21, 2008
Why is Nintendo so stubborn with Wii U pricing? It's as if they don't want the console to sell.

More consoles in people's homes = more software sales

Nobody's going to buy that shit for a premium price at this point.
I honestly don't think Nintendo cares for the wiiu's success at this point. It's practically a dead console right now.
It's all about that switch.