• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, all the Wii Us were recalled at my local Best Buy

DevilFox

They're probably going to use them somehow, but surely they don't want to lower Switch's potential sales by letting people buy a dead system 3 months before. It's not good for their image nor the customer's budget and trust.

Seems like Nintendo is making sure that there will be no more Wii U's to buy anywhere when they release the Switch.

This, along with the following, leads me to believe that the better version of Zelda BotW is on the WIi U.

1. Nintendo is using the Wii U in all demos of BotW. If the Switch version was superior, why didn't they use that instead?

2. Based on rumors, Zelda U will be released a month after the Switch version. Nintendo will want to make sure that the Switch version gets amazing reviews instead of getting unfavorable comparisons with the superior U version. The solution is to delay the U version (or even cancel it altogether).

3. Nintendo wants consumers to pick up the Switch if they want to play Zelda. Forget about the other console. LOL

Why would they go through all that trouble of a wii u version when they could just water it down if need be?

They show the wii u version cause the switch isn't fully shown... I think your losing it man.

Why would they go through all that trouble of a wii u version when they could just water it down if need be?

They show the wii u version cause the switch isn't fully shown... I think your losing it man.

It's highly probable that Nintendo is just porting the finished version of Zelda U to Switch. In fairness, Nintendo did use the Switch version in that talk show.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
They probably don't want people buying the Wii U at discount, as that will potentially take them out of the market for the Switch in a few months. If I had waited until now to get a Wii U, I'd probably focus on grabbing titles I missed on that instead of buying another Nintendo system so soon after.

This is probably the reason, however it is very odd to start an (apparent) manufacturer buyback program the week before Christmas. ...maybe retailers warned Nintendo they were prepping massive fire sales after the holidays.

Whatever Nintendo gets back is probably going on their online store.

Related:
GamePad cases/grips at BestBuy have been on sale all week down from $40 to $2.00.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/power-a...-nintendo-wii-u-black/7649928.p?skuId=7649928

It's highly probable that Nintendo is just porting the finished version of Zelda U to Switch.
No it isn't. They have been working on switch for a long while no. I doubt they would make a new game look worse on new hardware and then try to hide it. Why wouldn't they just downgrade the wii u version to match?

I believe it will be looking better on switch, only if the size of the unit and battery held them back on power. That's your most likely out.

The Beard

Nintendo is pretty clear they won't devalue their products. Even if they don't sell at all. I'm not sure it's the best strategy but it doesn't bode well for cheap switch either.

It's just so odd that last month you could get a PS4 Slim with a game, or an Xbone S with a game for $200, while Wii U's were $300.

Seems like Nintendo is making sure that there will be no more Wii U's to buy anywhere when they release the Switch.

This, along with the following, leads me to believe that the better version of Zelda BotW is on the WIi U.

1. Nintendo is using the Wii U in all demos of BotW. If the Switch version was superior, why didn't they use that instead?

2. Based on rumors, Zelda U will be released a month after the Switch version. Nintendo will want to make sure that the Switch version gets amazing reviews instead of getting unfavorable comparisons with the superior U version. The solution is to delay the U version (or even cancel it altogether).

3. Nintendo wants consumers to pick up the Switch if they want to play Zelda. Forget about the other console. LOL

Well, that's quite the stretch.

SystemUser

Did you not see Zelda on Jimmy Fallon? Your doesn't hold up when you look at reality. The most recent showing was on the Switch. They showed a longer draw distance for action than has been shown on the Wii U version. The Switch hardware wasn't ready for E3 and Nintendo didn't want to reveal the Switch yet.

-Horizon-

Maybe getting rid of them all so there is no way average joe or jane can go in to a best buy and ask "give me a nintendo" and the employee says "wii u or switch?" and confuses the heck out of the consumer who only sees "hey, both of them has a tablet thing, which one is the one I want?".

Love my Wii U but man, what a mess of a console cycle. I know two people who would have bought one in a second at $250 CAD retail. Like actively waiting for a sale. Nuts.

We saw it running better on Switch, though.

It probably should be pointed out that Nintendo 3DS consoles of any sort are not available online from Best Buy, GameStop, or Amazon as well.

Maybe just supply and demand, eh?

The Beard

Maybe getting rid of them all so there is no way average joe or jane can go in to a best buy and ask "give me a nintendo" and the employee says "wii u or switch?" and confuses the heck out of the consumer who only sees "hey, both of them has a tablet thing, which one is the one I want?".

Then why hasn't that been done before every other console's successor hits the market?

3DSs are selling out, don't think it's the same issue with Wii U

Yup, seems little known if you haven't worked retail but I was at GameStop for three Pokemon launches and 2DS and 3DS consoles would sell out pretty consistently when a new pair of Pokemon games came out. That extended to pretty solid used sales as well -- we even sold out of used 3DS and 2DS consoles at my store for a short time when X and Y came out.

It felt like GameStop would only order a modest amount of 3DSes and then suddenly not have enough to fill demand when a new Pokemon entry launched. So it's probably not entirely on Nintendo, with retailers being generally tepid with stock until demand spikes.

In late January they'll like want to put up marketing material and reserving shelf space for pre orders and whatever. Likely best to do it now...though not waiting until after christmas is a bit weird

I get the need to create shelf space. I wonder if this was retailer driven as the Wii U has been dead for some time. Might be a great goodwill gesture towards retailers who have stocked your dead product for years.

Oh boo. I was hoping to be able to pick up some new systems for cheap for the future. So I don't have to worry about paying out the ass for a replacement years from now.

I bet there's two reasons this is happening.

- Retailers aren't willing to give Nintendo shelf space for both Wii U and Switch, so Wii U has to go and Nintendo obliged.
and/or
- Nintendo is offering deals on Switch hardware in exchange for unsold Wii U stock

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Boke1879

I bet there's two reasons this is happening.

- Retailers aren't willing to give Nintendo shelf space for both Wii U and Switch, so Wii U has to go and Nintendo obliged.
- Nintendo is offering deals on Switch hardware in exchange for unsold Wii U stock

Or maybe I'm wrong.

At least wait until after Christmas ya know?

I really think they stopped production early on wii u.

No reason to drop price if there aren't any in the retail channel.

Time to start hoarding those wiiu games boys. It's going to be Nintendo's Saturn. Underappreciated and underselling console that will be real expensive in the future.

That's of Nintendo doesn't port most of its games to switch.

Persona7

Banned
It probably should be pointed out that Nintendo 3DS consoles of any sort are not available online from Best Buy, GameStop, or Amazon as well.

Nintendo has a weird distribution. Animal Crossing cards and the physical edition of the game are getting restocked the day before christmas and I am guessing that the shipments to stores will probably include a wide range of Nintendo products to be stocked.

Like when the last round of Nintendo Selects came out every store nearby got a huge shipment of the selects, random reprints of non-selects games and hardware in one big shipment.

Klotera

Makes me glad I have my Wii U BotW pre-order in. This trend suggests that the Wii U version may be a pretty limited run with limited distribution, as they focus on Switch.

clintar

They're probably going to use them somehow, but surely they don't want to lower Switch's potential sales by letting people buy a dead system 3 months before. It's not good for their image nor the customer's budget and trust.
You're right. Better to take the dead systems off the shelf than let someone buy it.

G0523

You're right. Better to take the dead systems off the shelf than let someone buy it.

Are some of you really thinking that if Nintendo left the Wii U out in stores that they'll sell? The system has been out for four years now and is generally more expensive than a PS4 or Xbox One. No one is going to want to buy one. If they did then they would've bought one a long time ago. There aren't any games (aside from BOTW) coming out for it at all that can be deemed as "system-sellers." Nintendo did the right thing by recalling all remaining stock.

kirby_fox

Banned

Yeah went to try to find a 3DS since mine got busted. It's just the l and r triggers, but I figured they would have some deals maybe. Not even a single console in any of the stores I went to. Something odd with their supply is going on for sure. Never seen an old console sold out or recalled like this being as old as they are.

Lgndryhr

Do you know how I could use Brickseek to check all of the skus at my local stores?

Yes. Use the DPCI for target. Only one I see is Mario Kart bundle which is 207-29-0009. This info is seen on target.com for that item under details or can search using the SKU search feature on brickseek page.
For walamrt, navigate to that item on Walmart.com and use that number from the URL to search or SKU search on brickseek page.

Mega

Banned
Wii U box has a huge picture of the controller and it somewhat resembles the Switch.

Gotta get that shit out of stores to avoid another Wii confusion fiasco with casuals thinking Switch is another Wii accessory or Wii U is an alternate Switch model.

CEWKlMNl.jpg

We all laughed at her

Top Bottom