• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, all the Wii Us were recalled at my local Best Buy

ck8215

It's the same here in Germany with Gamestop. Online it's not available and not a lot of stores have any in stock.
And Amazon and Saturn only have the Mario Maker bundle left.

M3d10n

Since they stopped manufacturing them, Nintendo probably will keep the unsold units for spare parts or something.

Also, the good news is this makes it even more unlikely they'll ever release a new firmware and patch out the homebrew exploits.

Odoul

Meijer, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Gamestop and Target all bone dry this week at various locations around Detroit.

I've actually been buying cheap Wii and Wii U games in anticaption of picking up a Wii U after Christmas when/if they were a little cheaper.

Not really interested in a Switch at all.

Nintendo makes it so hard to just enjoy them sometimes.

I can believe that Nintendo wouldn't want people confusing the Wii U with the switch. This is just one anecdote, but I was at my local game store, and one customer almost bought a Wii U thinking it was the NES mini.

The Beard

I can believe that Nintendo wouldn't want people confusing the Wii U with the switch. This is just one anecdote, but I was at my local game store, and one customer almost bought a Wii U thinking it was the NES mini.

People are dumb. This isn't the reason it was pulled though. Parents/grandparents mistakenly purchase the wrong shit all the time, but this hasn't led to every company only having one product on the shelf to avoid confusion.

wwm0nkey

Meijer, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Gamestop and Target all bone dry this week at various locations around Detroit.

I've actually been buying cheap Wii and Wii U games in anticaption of picking up a Wii U after Christmas when/if they were a little cheaper.

Not really interested in a Switch at all.

Nintendo makes it so hard to just enjoy them sometimes.
Just curious, what games were you interested on WiiU that won't be on Switch?

It's the same here in Germany with Gamestop. Online it's not available and not a lot of stores have any in stock.
And Amazon and Saturn only have the Mario Maker bundle left.
It's not the same at all. GameStop just discounted the Wii U to sell leftover stock a few weeks ago. You can find one pretty much everywhere, GameStop is not relevant in Germany. The Media Markt I was at today had like 10 Mario Kart bundles.

Emitan

there's tons of people (myself included) who've been screaming from the rooftops for a couple of years about how the WiiU has the best library of any Nintendo system since the SNES :\

I wouldn't go that far but the first party content is pretty good.

Odoul

Just curious, what games were you interested on WiiU that won't be on Switch?

Not interested in the concept.

And as I stated I've already purchased about 10 Wii U and Wii(which I also never bought) for 10-20 dollars a pop over the last year.

I don't see how someone could confuse the wii U and switch, but the Wii U and NES Mini??!! Fucking hell.

Jetman

So, what does this even mean for future Wii U releases like Zelda? Are stores even gonna stock new games for a recalled obsolete system that they don't even have in stock anymore?
Can we pretty much assume Zelda:BotW isn't coming to the U now?

Neoxon

So, what does this even mean for future Wii U releases like Zelda? Are stores even gonna stock new games for a recalled obsolete system that they don't even have in stock anymore?
Can we pretty much assume Zelda:BotW isn't coming to the U now?
If that was the case, they wouldn't have bothered to show Wii U footage of BotW at The Game Awards.

Jetman

If that was the case, they wouldn't have bothered to show Wii U footage of BotW at The Game Awards.

Well, the recall of U's just happened this Monday. I don't think anyone anticipated Nintendo actually pulling the system from shelves. I honestly assumed they would drop the U price and sell it besides the Switch. Then just release Zelda first on the Switch like they did on the Wii for Twilight Princess.

Neoxon

Well, the recall of U's just happened this Monday. I don't think anyone anticipated Nintendo actually pulling the system from shelves. I honestly assumed they would drop the U price and sell it besides the Switch. Then just release Zelda first on the Switch like they did on the Wii for Twilight Princess.
Which is rumored to be what's happening.

Maybe they'll release Zelda for Wii U on the eShop only (at best). I really doubt they'll do a physical release for a dead system that far out (considering the game's release date is supposed to be second half of 2017?)

DOWN

Banned
I'll take a Switch if it can play Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD. That will happen right?

Zelda will still be coming on Wii U. Don't get your hopes up for an especially big shipment though.

That's what I'm thinking anyway.

oti

Banned
I'll take a Switch if it can play Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD. That will happen right?

I'd hope so. Maybe not in the first year but it makes too much sense (even for Nintendo) to re-release them on Switch.

Nintendo would rather take a 100% loss than a 50% loss. When Yamauchi was in charge, he would take the 50% loss. I bought a Virtual Boy after it was discontinued for like $50

Zelda will still be coming on Wii U. Don't get your hopes up for an especially big shipment though.

That's what I'm thinking anyway.

It better be coming out on Wii U, since I'm not planning to get a Switch at launch. I'll pre-order that shit if I have to, even though I don't believe in pre-ordering.

SalvaPot

I won't be worried, I expect a lot of Wii U's to be traded in for Switch, so that is going to be a good chance to get one for cheap.

This is he weird part of the equation...

I'd assume they're willing to take the loss on the chin to ensure no possible brand confusion and to draw a line under their last console entirely, so as to be able to fully promote Switch as their true Current Gen home console, especially amongst the casual Wii audience that didn't care about or weren't even aware of the WiiU existing.

Plus, let's be fair, we're probably talking about so few units here that the actual cost to their bottom line is going to be negligible.

I'd assume they're willing to take the loss on the chin to ensure no possible brand confusion and to draw a line under their last console entirely, so as to be able to fully promote Switch as their true Current Gen home console, especially amongst the casual Wii audience that didn't care about or weren't even aware of the WiiU existing.

Plus, let's be fair, we're probably talking about so few units here that the actual cost to their bottom line is going to be negligible.

Still weird that they didn't blow it out at $99 or whatever to generate some revenue while also reducing the number of games and accessories in the channel.

Still weird that they didn't blow it out at $99 or whatever to generate some revenue while also reducing the number of games and accessories in the channel.

Some companies don't want to devalue their products with cheap sales.

Its not worth the effort. WiiU production has stopped and the remaining unsold consoles are probably not that many.

Nintendo probably thinks that people who can not buy a WiiU now will buy Switch next year eventually.

Narroo

Its not worth the effort. WiiU production has stopped and the remaining unsold consoles are probably not that many.

Nintendo probably thinks that people who can not buy a WiiU now will buy Switch next year eventually.

There you go: They're release a new console in March. It's unlikely that they want people to buy an expensive discontinued console right before they release a new one. They probably want a fresh field for the Switch.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they get some sort of tax break when they go to dispose of the WiiU's.

firelogic

More like they determined that they wouldn't sell many units even with a deep discount and decided that eating the cost would be the same. Companies don't just decide, yeah let's not sell our inventory of product at a discount because it'll ruin our image. They'd try to recover as much of their costs as possible. If it was worth the effort, Nintendo would have done it, just like they did with all of their previous products getting huge discounts at the end of their life cycles. You're acting like Nintendo is some prestigous company that thinks sales are beneath them.

Top Bottom