• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, all the Wii Us were recalled at my local Best Buy

facelike

Some companies don't want to devalue their products with cheap sales.

Its not worth the effort. WiiU production has stopped and the remaining unsold consoles are probably not that many.

Nintendo probably thinks that people who can not buy a WiiU now will buy Switch next year eventually.

People seem to be neglecting the retail side of the equation. Why would Best Buy, or any brick-and-mortar retailer, buy more of the new console when they have a bunch of old one sitting on the shelf not selling. They're doing the Retailers a favor by taking back the product and not sticking them with the bill.

This way the retailer feels OK about selling the new product. If the new products does not sell, there's some good faith that Nintendo will not screw over the brick-and-mortar Business with dead product. Along with that, Nintendo can keep the value artificially high for the Wii U and not confuse customers with multiple consoles for sale next year.

mjc

Some companies don't want to devalue their products with cheap sales.

Its not worth the effort. WiiU production has stopped and the remaining unsold consoles are probably not that many.

Nintendo probably thinks that people who can not buy a WiiU now will buy Switch next year eventually.

Nah, I don't think you understand how it usually works. The remaining Wii U stock would have sold, especially after they announced that production had stopped.

Ironically, likely not too long from now, Wii U's are going to be highly sought-after and difficult to find at retail. Unlike when it was an active platform that Nintendo was still commercially supporting.

Kind of ironic.

Odoul

I'm probably gonna pick up a cheap busted used one in the spring.

It's funny stores still have demo kiosks of something you can't buy anymore.

When I picked up my One S on Black Friday there was a stack of about 50 Mario Kart 8 boxes stacked at the front of Best Buy.

That the system never got to $200 is almost kind of impressive.

Top Bottom