• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, CDProjekt RED and GOG have fired one of their community managers over polemical Tweets

Cosmogony

Apparently, GOG and CD Projekt RED have fired their community manager who authored the well-known polemical Tweets.

Last edited by a moderator:

decisions

Wow that GOG thread is pretty telling. This was the wrong choice.

I didn't find the jokes offensive, and I haven't seen them explained to be offensive in a single, coherent statement. Just a lot of people on ERA or Twitter saying that they are with no good explanation as to why. We shouldn't fire people because a loud minority on the internet find a joke to be offensive. People's livelihoods are worth more than fake outrage.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Your job is to make the company look good, and who ever the person was did a horrible job of gauging the current political and social atmosphere. If any of us would have acted in such a way using our companies social media platform we also would be fired. That doesn’t mean I agree with the backlash against him, but you’ve got to be smart in your career, especially when you are representing a company in a public place.

Did they then hire that Resetera admin (Hect) to replace him?

You know, the one who helped acquire the dox info through GOG's official resetera forum account and concert with other members a public doxing on twitter (which resulted in confirmed death threats against that person and his family, and they didn't even know who did the tweet but grabbed a random PR team member info to feed to the mob anyways as long as one gets hurt), then tagged GOG directly asking them to hire him since one position is now available soon?

That's an interesting bold tactic to get employed that GOG is promoting here.

Last edited:
Your job is to make the company look good, and who ever the person was did a horrible job of gauging the current political and social atmosphere. If any of us would have acted in such a way using our companies social media platform we also would be fired. That doesn’t mean I agree with the backlash against him, but you’ve got to be smart in your career, especially when you are representing a company in a public place.

Right, I can't get too upset over this because the dude brought them nothing but bad PR, why wouldn't they fire him?

I was never too crazy about the tweets, it's not too far removed from the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" attitude just from the opposite end of the political spectrum, don't antagonize your audience.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Right, I can't get too upset over this because the dude brought them nothing but bad PR, why wouldn't they fire him?

I was never too crazy about the tweets, it's not too far removed from the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" attitude just from the opposite end of the political spectrum, don't antagonize your audience.
Assuming he is Polish and not an American or British, it's not surprising he is a little tone deaf to the current bloodthirsty social justice climate. I mean, if your grandparents and/or parents survived the invasion of Poland by Germany and the Holocaust, it's not surprising that you would be insensitive to this bullshit. CDPR shouldn't be bowing down to this shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You know, the one who helped acquire the dox info through GOG's official resetera forum account and concert with other members a public doxing on twitter (which resulted in confirmed death threats against that person and his family, and they didn't even know who did the tweet but grabbed a random PR team member info to feed to the mob anyways as long as one gets hurt), then tagged GOG directly asking them to hire him since one position is now available soon?

It is almost as if that forum has a history with attempted "sabotage" before gaining (creating) opportunity, tactics.

decisions

Your job is also to get people interested in the company's products, and part of doing that as an internet community manager is by using popular hashtags or maybe even causing some small controversy, which may end up resulting in more sales than would have been there without it.

I doubt this guy's tweets really did anything negative to CDPR's business. He probably just made more people aware of one GOG's selling points - preservation of retro games.

So far, the only company that has not cucked to unproven claims that these incidents "hurt their brand" is Steam, which, oddly, has not gone bankrupt after allowing hentai games on its platform. In fact, they seem to be doing great.

:pie_thinking:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Community managers are essentially PR. If they make the company look bad, wether it's deserved or not, they have failed at their job and deserve to be let go.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well, even if it was SJW nonsense, this PR guy regularly played with these unstable people and peinted CDPR in a bad light. At one point you have to learn that in this day and age everything you say publicly may land on the golden scale, so he should have been more cautious after the first incident already, but if he keeps on playing with fire there is always a risk to get burned.

Bwesh

Community managers are essentially PR. If they make the company look bad, wether it's deserved or not, they have failed at their job and deserve to be let go.
I don't think this person deserved to be fired. People nowadays will always get offended at everything.

How about this recent mobile Diablo announcement? Those guys at the stage failed spectacularly. Fan confidence dropped like an anchor. Should they be fired?

God Enel

There’s no such thing as bad publicity. ;)

Imho totally over the top reaction but I’m not in this Twitter social media Bullshit.

Wow that GOG thread is pretty telling. This was the wrong choice.

I didn't find the jokes offensive, and I haven't seen them explained to be offensive in a single, coherent statement. Just a lot of people on ERA or Twitter saying that they are with no good explanation as to why. We shouldn't fire people because a loud minority on the internet find a joke to be offensive. People's livelihoods are worth more than fake outrage.
Era is joke forum. I hate it. Mods don't allow any kind of freedom of speech there. Fuk that forum. I hope it gets hacked or deleted.

Back to topic - It's unfortunate really. He did few mistakes but I never support anyone losing their job unless he has done really bad things.

TLZ

Banned

God damn. And they say the devil doesn't exist.

A.Romero

Fuck this. I couldn't care less for GOG's community but I'm tired of hyper sensitivity and people getting fired or pushed to resign because they can't understand a joke or expect the whole world to get aligned to their values.

Companies need to grow balls STAT

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

The bullshit Hecht, and by association ResetEra, pulled regarding this needs to be talked about more. It's fucking despicable.

Zewp

I dug real deep and I couldn't find my outrage. We got Jessica Price fired so Linko90 was fair game. Companies don't want to keep employees around who cause them bad publicity. More news at 11.

The tweet in the OP is also hilariously hysterical. You know it's srs bsnss when every word is capitalised.

Fuchalmania

OP post seems to be an attempt to garner outrage based off lopsided presentation of facts.

No links to the full events or screenshots of the tweets in question.

Without the full picture how can I assess which side is being the bigger babies?

Cosmogony

OP post seems to be an attempt to garner outrage based off lopsided presentation of facts.

Only to intelectual dishonest minds.

The OP is mere statement of facts as I learned them, from the source I learned them from. I even went so far as to preface with the cautionary adverb "Apparently".

Feel free to do it yourself.

Without the full picture how can I assess which side is being the bigger babies?

Which two sides would you be talking about?

royox

People getting fired, maybe with a family and children to sustain, because some fucking lifeless worthless snowflakes decided to be offended at everything...I'm angry and I should stop typing.

Cosmogony

If I were a writer at CDPR, from now on I'd be tempted to make sure no snippet of my work could ever be taken out of context and misinterpreted in the most uncharitable malicious way conceivable. Evidently, this is impossible. Someone bent on portraying you under a bad light will always succeed. But I could sanitize every single sentence, remove all traces of humour, double-entendres and any rhetorical device that might get me into trouble if scrutinized by the gang of radical left-wing lunatics that thought-police the internet.

The end result would be bland as invoice paper, but at least I'd get to keep my job.

Now, I'm waiting for further clarification. And I still have to think this through with regard to what the appropriate personal response is. But, for now, it seems the only way to communicate effectively, as effectively possible, is to be very parsimonious with spending money on GOG.

KonradLaw

Shame. We often feel connection to the devs because of the games they made, so it's always jarring when this cool company ends up being just like every shitty big corpo ever, without empathy and caring more about the image they present in social media than people who worked hard for them.
What's worse. This will only embolden the hordes. They saw CDPR is willing to cave to criticism, so now they can expect demands to be made over and over again.

Barnabot

The evidences are gone. Era is innocent. The doxx never existed in the first place. GOG fired that guy because he makes bad coffee. /s

This is the most disgusting attitude I ever saw from that mob. This guy should never lose his job over some assholes who just wanted to shine in that forum and push their agenda. Talk about some one sided social justice warriors.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Utter cunts at Ree, and utter cunts at GOG for caving in to the utter cunts. Cunty.

Barnabot

People getting fired, maybe with a family and children to sustain, because some fucking lifeless worthless snowflakes decided to be offended at everything...I'm angry and I should stop typing.
Whoever contributed to that they are not just snowflakes. They are just plain assholes. The f'cking assholes you should avoid meeting in your life. And I just tried to search any topic related to this recent event there and I guess they are either not aware of that yet or they not feeling so prideful about that. I hope it's because of the latter.

royox

So far, the only company that has not cucked to unproven claims that these incidents "hurt their brand" is Steam, which, oddly, has not gone bankrupt after allowing hentai games on its platform. In fact, they seem to be doing great.

:pie_thinking:

Didn't Kingdom Come: Deliverance sell very well after giving 0 fucks about the SJW agenda?

Cosmogony

There is just one glaring problem with this otherwise sensible and reasonable analysis.

If the criterion for "make the company look good" is to conduct yourself in such a way that it escapes unnoticed by a fringe of radicals then be ready to have your course dictated by them, and by any other small group at that. So will GOG re-hire the individual in question back if the backlash against his firing is loud enough?

That's the problem with letting volume, not sense, guide your actions.

Ozrimandias

In Strange Days were living, the "It offends me" Millenial attitude its ruining everything. The tweets of GOG and CDPR were, nothing.

Humdinger

I'm not sure we can assume this is all about the one tweet. Maybe there were other factors involved. We don't know the whole story.

If it's true that CDPR canned him for one non-PC tweet, they should be ashamed of themselves. But I'm not willing to make that assumption. A lot goes on behind the scenes that we never know about. The guy could've had other issues besides the tweet. Or maybe the tweet controversy soured his attitude and led to other problems. We just don't know.

Papa

Banned
God dammit. Never apologise to these assholes. That’s what their narcissistic little pea brains want.

I think that anyone who agreed the PR people insulting their fans and getting fired was a good thing should be consistent in their opinion with this result. I don't think the issue is nearly on the same scale and there was no doubling down but still.

Cosmogony

I think that anyone who agreed the PR people insulting their fans and getting fired was a good thing should be consistent in their opinion with this result. I don't think the issue is nearly on the same scale and there was no doubling down but still.

In what way are outright insults and the most elliptic humour equivalent?

Your take seems to be on the same vein as the recurring "GAF is the mirror image of ERA"

In what way are outright insults and the most elliptic humour equivalent?

Your take seems to be on the same vein as the recurring "GAF is the mirror image of ERA"

Not sure what you mean. I did not mention any other forum. I meant that the PR people have offended some fans and to be impartial they should be dealt in the same way regardless of I or you agree that it was offensive since "offense" is not an objective feeling.

Cosmogony

Not sure what you mean. I did not mention any other forum. I meant that the PR people have offended some fans and to be impartial they should be dealt in the same way regardless of I or you agree that it was offensive since "offense" is not an objective feeling.

In the same way that the usual attempt to establish the equivalence between GAF and ERA is flawed, the attempt to establish the equivalence between insults and elliptic humour is also flawed.

The criterion for firing someone, at least in my book, is not whether or not he said something someone found offensive.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm ashamed of CDPR/GoG for giving into this lot. these constantly offended SJWs are a stain on the gaming industry. Resetera is full of them.

Last edited:

Domisto

Three PR tweets gave the company bad PR. Seems natural that somebody would take the fall. Sure, they could probably have ridden it out but if GOG has decided to take a new direction with a clean break that's their call. Not that outrageous IMO.

Makariel

That's the free market. GOG can chose who they hire or fire, you can chose if you want to buy their products.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom