• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, CDProjekt RED and GOG have fired one of their community managers over polemical Tweets

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Did they then hire that Resetera admin (Hect) to replace him?

You know, the one who helped acquire the dox info through GOG's official resetera forum account and concert with other members a public doxing on twitter (which resulted in confirmed death threats against that person and his family, and they didn't even know who did the tweet but grabbed a random PR team member info to feed to the mob anyways as long as one gets hurt), then tagged GOG directly asking them to hire him since one position is now available soon?

That's an interesting bold tactic to get employed that GOG is promoting here.

Is this true? Because that is really telling and possibly illegal if true! 0-o

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i would never want to work in PR, it sounds like a nightmare.

one time i interviewed for a job making a website and they kept asking me about social media and when it became clear they wanted me to handle all of that as well i was like, oh hells no, i don't want this, this is too much responsibility. i turned them down and don't regret it.

Public Relations is weird. you are there to put a human face on an inhuman thing, a company, a corporation, a collection of people and non-corporeal concepts, products, and public actions. like all public surrogates, part of their job is the understanding that they will be made scapegoats, sacrifices for the greater good.

Last edited:

Zewp

The difference is my side is right and the other side is wrong neenaneenah!

Fixed that for you.

Not even going to point out the irony that the Totalbiscuit stuff was dug up only after Price was mean to the dude, long after she made the actual tweets.

Mobs, man. The right and left both love their mob justice and both thinks the other is awful while their side is Righteous Crusaders of Justice™.

Textbook horseshoe theory.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fixed that for you.

Not even going to point out the irony that the Totalbiscuit stuff was dug up only after Price was mean to the dude, long after she made the actual tweets.

Mobs, man. The right and left both love their mob justice and both thinks the other is awful while their side is Righteous Crusaders of Justice™.

Textbook horseshoe theory.

No, there were a lot of people who were angry at Price (and others, as it wasn't just price) for their celebration of TB's death. Nothing came of it, at least publicly from ArenaNet.

Cosmogony

How about you go ask your boss where the line is drawn. Or better yet, go make some anti-SJW jokes on LinkedIn. See how your boss feels about that.

And how about you understand I'm not calling into question the managerial right of CDPR or any other leadership to conduct PR as they deem appropriate?

How about that?

And the mystification campaign continues with the above pearl, whereby those tweets are now been associated with anti-SJW jokes. The most charitable explanation is the original tweets haven't been read as extensively as it appeared.

I don't know where my boss draws the line, but regardless of whether I think certain things are offensive or not, I'm not going to risk my job by posting anything that could end up being controversial while I'm representing my employer.

Indeed. He has the right to act the way he sees fit. He gets to make the call. Guess what? I get to pass judgement on his call. And I also get to decide how I behave towards the company he manages.
Is that finally clear?

Sorry this dude had to learn that lesson the hard way, but that's the way it is. You are beholden to your employer.

While true, that says nothing about the merits of the decision.

That some people here have now retreated so far that they can't be bothered to defend the decision but are instead left with managerial platitudes strongly hints at the weakness of the case.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's up to whom, them? Is there an Institute which certifies these things?

What you're implying is that as along as someone claims harm and offense then the joke can't possibly have been harmless and inoffensive.

Bullshit.

Let's say I find your posts offensive.
Are you going to apologise? Are you going to delete them? Are you going to own up the fact that by your own definition you posted offensive content?

If you gave me a reasonable explanation on how I truly offended, yeah I'd apologize. But I don't treat apologizing to be similar to the end of someone's life.

Makariel

Its a community representative. They normally make a statement on those on the forums. Blizzard does this regularly. Nintendo did it too with Alison Rapp.
I don't want to be Captain Obvious, but Blizzard and Nintendo are not GOG? I asked if GOG was ever doing that before. If Apple or Microsoft would have released or not released a statement would be of equally little relevance. It's GOGs business how they manage their business.

Cosmogony

When those jokes come out of their employee's mouths (or in this case, fingers) yes. Exactly.

You're bent on not being able to separate the practicality from the ontology.

Of course CDPR can make the call. They have the legitimacy, they have the power. But that in and of itself does not mean the call was correct. For all intents and purposes, the management can decide the tweets were inappropriate or even offensive and have their opinions carry due consequences. That's the practicality.

The ontology question is whether those tweets were indeed offensive or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

disap.ed

Someone in the PR team for GOG tweeted that "Your games #WontBeErased from GOG", but it happens that #WontBeErased was a hashtag used by transgender activists and trending at the moment, making the usual twitter tactics of including popular tweets to bump their visibility, or using the English words "won't" "be" "erased" in succession a transphobic hate crime that deserves indiscriminately doxing and targeting random GOG PR team members with death threats and personal harassment to their families which include husbands, wives, children and elderly people unrelated to this "crime", oh and terminated apparently.

The practice isn't that "unethical" for this same mob, since subverting and hijacking popular tweets is a favorite tactic of said "voices of sanity", see the Bowsette trend.

However some people can afford in this day to defend and justify going homicidal harasser stalker on people over "microagressions" that justify aggression as close to actual murder as possible (with the death threats, and trying to drive random people out of employment and try to keep them unemployed for as long as possible until they die in poverty from a curable illness with how the US health system is, and yes, that intent and hope was made explicit before by many prominent "voices of reason" who defend this), no, present it as a noble thing, over words that are not even offensive and that anyone could make "the mistake" of uttering if they're not up to date yet with the latest taboos and terrors.

But sure, death threats are totally equivalent to hashtag cultural appropriation (which isn't even proven to have been by the same persons doxxed and fired)

I am glad something like this is still possible to post here ... unlike on Resetera.

Zewp

And how about you understand I'm not calling into question the managerial right of CDPR or any other leadership to conduct PR as they deem appropriate?

How about that?

And the mystification campaign continues with the above pearl, whereby those tweets are now been associated with anti-SJW jokes. The most charitable explanation is the original tweets haven't been read as extensively as it appeared.

Indeed. He has the right to act the way he sees fit. He gets to make the call. Guess what? I get to pass judgement on his call. And I also get to decide how I behave towards the company he manages.
Is that finally clear?

While true, that says nothing about the merits of the decision.

That some people here have now retreated so far that they can't be bothered to defend the decision but are instead left with managerial platitudes strongly hints at the weakness of the case.

And nobody said you can't judge by the decision. But live by the sword, die by the sword.

"Managerial platitudes" are a defense of this company decision, BTW. A CM should know better and I'm not going to defend a dude who repeatedly brought bad press on his company. Just like I didn't defend Jessica Price.

You can rail against the alleged unfairness of this decision all you want, but in real life you have to take responsibility for your actions. I'm still digging really, really deep and I still can't find sympathy for an employee who should have known better and got fired because he didn't. :goog_unsure:

Cosmogony

If you gave me a reasonable explanation on how I truly offended, yeah I'd apologize. But I don't treat apologizing to be similar to the end of someone's life.

What on Earth are you on about with ending someone's life?
Please be clear.
Because the only thing that comes to mind is so preposterous and outside the realm of reasonableness.

But that in and of itself does not mean the call was correct. For all intents and purposes, the management can decide the tweets were inappropriate or even offensive and have their opinions carry due consequences. That's the practicality.

The ontology question is whether those tweets were indeed offensive or not.

It doesn't matter what you, or I, or anyone besides CDPR think. CDPR clearly did not think the jokes were appropriate.

Feel free to boycott or whatever. "Correct call" lmfao are you serious.

OverIt

I don't want to be Captain Obvious, but Blizzard and Nintendo are not GOG? I asked if GOG was ever doing that before. If Apple or Microsoft would have released or not released a statement would be of equally little relevance. It's GOGs business how they manage their business.

But GOG is 100% owned by CDP, a game developer, so they are closer to Nintendo and Sony rather than Apple and MS. It is expected of them when they fire a community representative of them.

It is expected of them when they fire a community representative of them.

No, it really isn't. Just because you want it doesn't mean it's expected.

It's entirely up to CDPR if they want to say anything. It's none of our business.

Last edited:

OverIt

No, it really isn't. Just because you want it doesn't mean it's expected.

Other companies in the same league do it, so it is expected. Expectations come from norms. Of course different countries have different rules and business practices, regardless the firing of a well respected community representative over a joke without explanation is nothing I stand for.

Cosmogony

It doesn't matter what you, or I, or anyone besides CDPR think. CDPR clearly did not think the jokes were appropriate.

Feel free to boycott or whatever. "Correct call" lmfao are you serious.

Hopefully, your persistent inability or unwillingness to understand the point will not impact the discussion.

Other companies in the same league do it, so it is expected. Expectations come from norms. Of course different countries have different rules and business practices, regardless the firing of a well respected community representative over a joke without explanation is nothing I stand for.

Again, it's entirely up to CDPR if they want to say anything. It's none of our business.

Denton

Is there any evidence they fired him apart from his account on gog being private and him not posting? Hell, is there any reason to think the GOG twitter was managed by the same person?

Anyway I do hope CDP didn't fire whoever posted those tweets - I do think they were stupid to post, though not offensive - but firing a guy over them, assuming he did good job otherwise, only because some morons gonna moron offendatron, is lame.

As people who pay or their services and products, it kinda is. It isnt like we arent part of the ecosystem.

No. You are not the person who was fired. You are not part of CDPR's Human Resources dept. It is NOT any of your business.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Jesus fucking christ dude :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And just what do you want me to say when time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time you reiterate CDPR has the right to do what they did.

Of course they have.

That's not the point. If that were the point no one would ever be able to challenge any managerial decision, including, but not limited to, presidential decisions. Discussions about higher-ups' decisions would not be possible. But apparently the very best you and Makariel Makariel can do in ardent defence of the firing is say, repeatedly, CDPR alone have the right to do it.

Well, you don't say!

Does my opinion carry any weight whatsoever outside my limited sphere of influence?
No, it does not.

Was the decision justified?
You think it was.
I don't.

OverIt

No. You are not the person who was fired. You are not part of CDPR's Human Resources dept. It is NOT any of your business.
Did you miss the first part of what I said? If a company you support by buying their products and services are behaving in a way that is abominable, you dont have a right to know?

Makariel

But GOG is 100% owned by CDP, a game developer, [...]
Irrelevant. It's up to GOG if they want to make a statement. Might it have been a good idea to do so? Maybe, in order to get ahead of things. Was there any legal requirement or obligation? Nope. You can try to argue yourself around a smaller and smaller corner as much as you want, doesn't change the fact that GOG can manage their staff however they want, as long as they comply to EU and Polish laws.

Was the decision justified?
You think it was.
I don't.

K. End of discussion I guess.

Did you miss the first part of what I said? If a company you support by buying their products and services are behaving in a way that is abominable, you dont have a right to know?

We have very different definitions of abominable, lmao. There are plenty of companies that produce and sell products that actually DO commit abominable things and people still buy them.

Support CDPR or don't for whatever reason you want. You are not entitled to someone's employment status.

Last edited:

Fuchalmania

Thanks for providing me the context OP was too lazy to originally do. They were probably looking for their axe.

Someone in the PR team for GOG tweeted that "Your games #WontBeErased from GOG", but it happens that #WontBeErased was a hashtag used by transgender activists and trending at the moment, making the usual twitter tactics of including popular tweets to bump their visibility, or using the English words "won't" "be" "erased" in succession a transphobic hate crime that deserves indiscriminately doxing and targeting random GOG PR team members with death threats and personal harassment to their families which include husbands, wives, children and elderly people unrelated to this "crime", oh and terminated apparently.

Not condoning the actions of the community manager or the people who objected to his tweet. But agree with the other sensible posters here: community manager needs to represent the company in the best possible light and to be up to date on the cultures and risks of modern media.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And nobody said you can't judge by the decision. But live by the sword, die by the sword.

Live by the innocuous twitter hashtag, die by the deranged Resetera lynch mob doxxing you, threatening to murder your family and compelling your employer to fire you.

Lunk

I thought CDPR was better than this.
They're a gaming business corporation, their job is to avoid controversies in order to not burn bridges as a business. If you ever wonder why the most corporate companies in games and movies jump so heavily on the gun on feminism, it's because they recognize that cultural and social controversies are a financial liability. CDP is no different and I'm glad that maybe this can at least open someones eyes that they're not some underdog studio anymore and are every bit as "growth & profit" oriented as any other scummy organization.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Live by the innocuous twitter hashtag, die by the deranged Resetera lynch mob doxxing you, threatening to murder your family and compelling your employer to fire you.

And as another poster has said, the deranged perpetrator of this attack actually asked and got the fired person's position. I just wish to know if this is true, because this is borderline illegal here!

Zewp

And the right doesn't do that? Because I saw plenty such tweets from the other side of the fence when the Jessica Price thing dropped.

Like I keep saying, hate mobs aren't limited to one side of the fence. It's just that each side of the fence finds ways to justify why their side is the Righteous Crusaders of Justice™ and the other side is the Wrongpants Brigade™. It's always the other people on the internet who are wrong.

Last edited:

Dunki

And the right doesn't do that? Because I saw plenty such tweets from the other side of the fence when the Jessica Price thing dropped.

Like I keep saying, hate mobs aren't limited to one side of the fence. It's just that each side of the fence finds ways to justify why their side is the Righteous Crusaders of Justice™ and the other side is the Wrongpants Brigade™. It's always the other people on the internet who are wrong.
First of all no one doxxed her. Secondly you can not control twitter mobs for sure. The doxxing part however is the biggest fucking problem.

Zewp

IMO the things that affect you personally and the way you interact with said company should be informed upon.

I hate to break it to you, but this doesn't affect you personally. You had no relationship of any kind with this dude.

You can still buy games from GOG, just like you could before and you can still play your games in the same exact same manner, just like before.

Him being fired is going to make 0 difference to your life.

Cosmogony

Thanks for providing me the context OP was too lazy to originally do. They were probably looking for their axe.

There's a measure of irony in you calling the OP lazy for not providing you with the homework you yourself couldn't be bothered with.

Drum on the false equivalence.

Why bother with the specifics if the world can be organized in a neat symmetry, right?

OverIt

I hate to break it to you, but this doesn't affect you personally. You had no relationship of any kind with this dude.

You can still buy games from GOG, just like you could before and you can still play your games in the same exact same manner, just like before.

Him being fired is going to make 0 difference to your life.
Yes it does, it is the slippery slope. It stops here. I refuse make it the norm for me and everyone else to be fired for a non sexual joke.

EDIT: Actually you are right, I will end up working for myself and alone. So carry on.

Last edited:

Zewp

First of all no one doxxed her. Secondly you can not control twitter mobs for sure. The doxxing part however is the biggest fucking problem.

"Right wing twitter mobs never doxx anyone" Dunki, 2018

Are we still going to deny that this shit doesn't happen on both sides?

Yes it does, it is the slippery slope. It stops here. I refuse make it the norm for me and everyone else to be fired for a non sexual joke.

When you start your own company, run it how you see fit. I don't reckon you'll be very successful with that attitude.

Barnabot

Why are you guys are trying to bring Jessica Price to this subject? It's apple and oranges. It's a different context and I'm not even talking about any gender badge. Both companies were exaggerated on their decisions due to the context of both stories imo.

Jessica Price's attitude shouldn't be justified by this twitter guy's story and vice-versa.

Dunki

"Right wing twitter mobs never doxx anyone" Dunki, 2018

Are we still going to deny that this shit doesn't happen on both sides?
No I never said that...

I said you can not compare these two events with each other. There are fucking assholes on both sides. there are extremists on both sides and we need to condem every one of them no matter what they are fighting for.

Zewp

No I never said that...

I said you can not compare these two events with each other. There are fucking assholes on both sides. there are extremists on both sides and we need to condem every one of them no matter what they are fighting for.

That's exactly my point! You can't condemn one side for something and not condemn the other, even though they do the exact same things.

They're both responsible for horrendous behavior like doxxing.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
The PR guy brought them bad PR so he was fired. It sucks, but it is what happens.

The hypocrisy of those railing against SJWs is they act the same way. I rarely see so-called SJWs complain, but I see people complain about SJWs more often.

Have you been living under a rock?

Top Bottom